Important Information Regarding EverQuest Next

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Daybreak Games, Mar 11, 2016.

1. daGELLO Active Member

Well, I held out hope for a long time...

But that's just that I guess.

How about you take the current EQN resources and reskin EQ1.

That's all people want is EQ1 to look new.
    • Up x 2
  2. Ziyadah New Member

Yet another disappointment by DBG. Hopefully at some point you'll stop focusing massively on your cash shops and start making games, but at this point I doubt it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Arazons New Member

I feel this will cause a deep cut to your fanbase, ever thought that the reason EQ1 and EQ2 were limping along was because your loyal fanbase (botters aside) were waiting and holding out for your next gen game?
    • Up x 1
  4. LeanneRI New Member

Well this sucks. I love EQ2, but how long exactly do you think the players are going to subscribe to a game with dated graphics, unplayable lag, and the list goes on. I remember the soe live announcement and we were all looking forward to the amazing things to come. Gaming and technology are always evolving, it's to bad Norrath isn't going to keep up.
    • Up x 2
  5. IceSy New Member

Sadly, I agree with you 100%! I had a bad feeling when Dave was let go,. not just about EQN,. but that the whole EverQuest franchise would suffer. :(
    • Up x 1
  6. Astealoth New Member

Perhaps you would consider improving the business models of EQ1 and EQ2 instead? What I was really hoping for in EQN was that wonderful EverQuest universe in a competitive business model. With the heavy focus on yearly paid expansion you have no potential for growth. I bought the last few expansions for EQ2 before the most current and spent a few months here and there as a subscriber and bought quite a lot of smedbucks for cosmetics, but frankly I wish I hadn't spent that money because I just can't justify the cost compared to competing products and my characters I worked so hard on aren't playable without the most current expansion. I have quite a lot of money and time invested in my EQ2 and EQ1 characters and they are basically inaccessible behind paywalls at the moment. I can log in and look at them but I can't participate in the game with them on a meaningful level. This hostage relationship with the old style MMO business models is what drives the ceaseless decline above all, in my opinion. New level caps, gear tiers, and zones should be accessible to all players. Paid content and subscriber benefits should not specifically exclude free players or previous and potential customers from being able to play entirely.
  7. Feneant New Member

My first post in a long long time... to express my disappointment- thankfully I never bought Landmark and now I know I never will.

I guess my hope for a new game is now in Brad McQuaid's hands. He made Everquest great so hopefully Pantheon will be what EQNext will never be.
  8. Mournblade New Member

Wow .. i want my money back...
  9. Chinook New Member

This really hurts :(.....
    • Up x 1
  10. Vylotte New Member

Utterly heartbreaking. Those of us that sunk ourselves into the future of EQ shouldn't have to pay for the failures of H1Z1.
    • Up x 1
  11. Binny45 New Member

So what's the plan with Landmark now? Is it just going to be another Minecraft? Because guess what? Already done! I paid money to play Landmark with the understanding it would get me into EQNext Beta.

All that work that people have put in has been for naught. What's the whole point of all these cultural build events now?
    • Up x 2
  12. rukiara Member

This is the most crushing news I think I've received in a long time.

There are many loyal, dedicated fans who were holding out for this and willing to ride until the wheels fell off to which DBG has forcefully removed the wheels and tossed them in the fire. EQN Most certainly had its flaws and qualms, but the fanbase would most likely overlook a lot of them. I have been playing this game since I was 9 years old on release, and it has literally molded my life and who I am today in many, many ways.

I can not say that, the signs weren't there, but I was blindly optimistic and tried to hold my head high. DBG let go of valuable resources and key people to the EQ Franchise and has utterly doomed Norrath with their incompetence and I even chose, beyond hope, to try to have an amount of faith. I told myself "Maybe this investment firm has a few EQ1 fans from it? Maybe they have some fans and want to help it go great." Of course this was wishful thinking and blind enthusiasm but can't blame a girl for trying, right?

Well I have watched numerous people today delete accounts, rave, and the Pantheon livestream is filled with nothing but this conversation, GW2 is filled with people talking about this and hashtagging #NeverQuest. This is an utter disappointment and I DID cry about it, no matter which of you agree this was a good move or that EQN was shoving it into a horrible mold this does not detract from the fact that the first two games ARE indeed failing, and instead of trying to make up the bad news with any good it is a constant barrage of bad news and horrible decisions. I was upset when people in SOE made horrible decisions that slowly tanked the life of the game and now to see DBG simply toss out all the concepts, respect, and hope for the game has left me crushed.

I haven't posted here in a long time but I assure you that my devotion to the EQ Franchise was most certainly a deep one, and this just....

Wow. Is all I really have to say. Wow.

Also by releasing EverQuest Landmark in the spring for $9.99 is a huge insult to a lot of people that sunk hundreds and hundreds of dollars into the big packages and more, That feels like more an indie-game move than a big, life long, epic, and long lasting title would do.

I really think the people at DBG should go back to their investment firm and get advice from their nerdy cousin who has actually played these games and understands the dynamics gamers have with their fandoms. Let the gamers and the programmers and artists do their job, instead of laying all of them off to pinch pennies.
    • Up x 3
  13. Binny45 New Member

Furthermore, if you're not going to further the EverQuest brand, then please sell it to someone who will. I swear, this was a total dick move. I seriously doubt I'll ever give you folks another dime. What a bait and switch.
    • Up x 3
  14. Binny45 New Member

Geez, Landmark wasn't THAT fun. I was putting up with it on the hopes that I was helping forward the EQNext cause. Seriously, you picked Landmark over developing the new EQ sequel. Who's the idiot who made that call?
    • Up x 3
  15. Rainnie New Member

Ok so what now? Do you have something in the works that we don't know about? If you do please spill the beans. We all need to hear what's going on. If you don't ... well ... expect most of us to just close the door, turn out the lights on the EQ franchise and walk away.
    • Up x 4
  16. Whalestep New Member

Logged back into a dead account just to tell you and express my disdain towards Daybreak Games (formally SOE). You have sullied the Everquest franchise and the fans that have been holding out for Everquest Next. The mementos, posters and players I've had the pleasure of having and meeting are the only good things that's come out of your pile of rubish. I'm genuinely hurt and sad over your recent decisions ever since the take over. This is the official wave goodbye, in this case I'm giving you the finger as I'm exiting the building.

P.S. Dave "Smokejumper" Georgeson is what made me have hope, I had the pleasure of speaking to him and he had held my hope in him before he left.

P.P.S. You've lost all the people that made you "great" Dave, Omeed, Mr. Smith, et al.
    • Up x 3
  17. Avirodar New Member

Smokejumper gave you hope? He was great?? Oh dear...

Smed & Smokejumper are the people who wasted untold finances on numerous total revamps of EQN (at least 4 iirc). After which, they jump the gun on announcing EQN, which was probably just a ploy to make SOE a more attractive acquisition target for CN. The players of EQ1 and EQ2 are the people who ultimately paid the price for the actions of Smed+Smokejumper, as the funds to support these endeavors were mostly siphoned from those two titles.

I hold no love for CN or DBG, but they inherited the lemon left behind by Smedley & Smokejumper. The business has clearly decided to trash the liability (EQN), and focus on what is bringing in the bacon. I may not like the decision, but it is not surprising in any way.

If you want to idolize the people that are responsible for the failure of EQN, all power to you.
    • Up x 1
  18. Becoan New Member

If you were sold vaporware then say so. If you lack the ability to create a new game sell Everquest to a developer. But rehashing content in EQ is pointless it has nothing new to offer because you can't or wont update the engine EQ2 was always halfway to the goal line. Fix it sell it or let it RIP.
  19. Kiskilla New Member

so what are you going to do with all the people that were on the dedicated EQnext team? will they be kept on and distributed between the other games, or will Daybreak give them the axe instead of boosting up already lagging games? It will be interesting to see what happens internally with DBG now that they might just have enough employees for to offer a semblance of customer service.
    • Up x 1
  20. dangeraaron10 Active Member

What a sad, sad day. The writing was on the wall. I bought Landmark in its Alpha stage when it was called Everquest Next Landmark! Then it became Landmark and then EQN is now dead. I want my money back but at this point, I won't even bother. I think I might take a look at the reddit page though, and look back in hilarious hindsight to the various delusional "I have hope!" and "there's a launcher icon on some dev's desktop!" threads.

I was so excited too.

Catch you later Norrathians. Looks like it's back to good ole Azeroth for me.
    • Up x 2