How do you feel about modern concepts like guns and Ninjas in EverQuest Next?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aazimar Well-Known Member

Again, welcome to Everquest! As you have not played the game before, please familiarize yourself with the lore and setting of the game before judging those of us trying to maintain the feeling of the Everquest IP. Norrath does not and should not resemble WoW, WAR, or any Final Fantasy iteration.

Norrath is an amazing land with 15 years of gaming history! We invite you to play EQ1 or EQ2 before pretending to know what the world of Everquest should be :)
    • Up x 3
  2. Elleon Well-Known Member

Meh, didn't really assault my sense that much considering it's WOW and everything else in the game. Gotta see what they do in EQN first in my opinion. If they do add them, I'm sure they would add a lot of other aspects and elements to the game that supports them, I doubt guns would pop out much here as well.
  3. Aulara Katra Member

In a side note I think what makes Everquest 1 so wildly popular is the fact that it's truly a battle of gods. You don't get that in any other game. You feel like it really is Innothule's swamp, or Karana's plain. You feel like there's more going on in the background than you can see or even grasp. I really hope they keep that feel (and don't add guns *cough*).
    • Up x 3
  4. Fiever Member

G

Well to be fair, it may have been due to several design decisions.
    1. Engine constraints
    2 Maybe they like this style since it can open up to more unique settings. Though this can be argued.
    3. Lower system resources. ESO might look great but I am curious as to just how well it would scale down to lower end systems since not everyone has PCs able to handle that level of detail.
    4. Since ESO is already giving that look they may have wanted to be different and and not try to compete with them.
    • Up x 1
  5. Elleon Well-Known Member

Oh I like that. Interesting.

However, in EQN, i think that the Gods are suppose to be somewhat on equal and tolerable terms with one another. Kinda like Greek Mythology and Mt. Olympus in some regards I guess. I suspect that there will be some of this showing through, but not nearly as much as completely opposing factors as in the previous titles. Hopefully there are other pieces that come into play here. They haven't really mentioned much about, if there actually is something, concerning a common foe or some force that we all stand against or what factions will be working towards.

There are most likely the Dragons of course, but I wonder if there is something much bigger that threatens everything out on the horizon.
  6. Xurtan Well-Known Member

*cough* Veeshan *cough* But no really, who knows. Right now we're all busy with surviving, and we have our little home grown Lich, we'll probably have racial tensions to work on, the dragons, the Shissar, more local enemies - not to mention getting Qeynos set up, food supplies, fortifying the city, the list goes on and on. Let's deal with local trouble before borrowing any from the Celestial planes. :p
  7. Elleon Well-Known Member

True enough. I suspect this will be the initial areas of concern. However, when things start to get done...I am pretty interest in seeing what comes around the corner and how they intend to implement it in EQN when that time comes. Rallying Calls and all of this stuff...the prospect of how and what can be done by adding things is a bit more exciting to me than simply throwing in an expansion like usual.
  8. Xurtan Well-Known Member

One thing EverQuest has always been good about is events. Guide ran events, GM ran events, holiday events, events ran simply to drum up interest in a new piece of lore, or content being introduced, a new patch.. or events that lead up to the introduction of a new expansion. EQII, particularly, has done a lot of the latter. It's quite fascinating, doing the quests that introduce you to the land, finding out some of the lore and how it was discovered, what happened, earning titles and such, or unique gear based around the particular feel of the new expansion. It's rather like exploring and discovering a new land as you make your way through the precursor events, instead of just having it dropped upon you with an expansion's launch. I expect EQN will expand upon this even further.

With Rallying Calls, I expect it to be even more incredible, as we'll be actively participating it. The actors on the stage, rather than in the audience watching. I truly hope they can do some amazing things with the RC system, and that it doesn't boil down to one set finish, in the exact same way on every single server, regardless of what the players want. Give us choices, give us multiple ways to get to a path or a point in the RC, and please, for the love of god, give us multiple potential -endings- as well. I still think each server should have its own lore based around what the players decide to do in Rallying Calls, as opposed to just following a pre-written script, where the only way to alter it is to not do it at all.

Perhaps one city ends up with more of a criminal underground, or a black market in the center of town. Perhaps on another server that same city ended up being a hub for magical research and spell creation, simply because the players kept going down the magic based paths as they completed the RC, instead of the violent/underhanded/Rogue based ones. There is so -much- they could do with this system, and I would hate to see it turn into just a larger public quest.
  9. Sliph Member

Don't presume to tell me what I know and don't know about Everquest kid. I played EQ1 for 8 years I played EQ2 for 4 years believe me I know the lore I've seen the content. But unlike you as I said in my original post I am NOT a purist neckbeard that believes everything has to be cut and paste. Lore can be changed. Everquest Next is NOT Everquest it is an alternate universe with lore that can be written or rewritten if necessary. People like you with your holier than thou attitude drive me up the wall. Excuse me for having an opinion that goes against what YOU feel everquest should be. I happen to not agree with it :)
  10. Sliph Member

Because doing exactly the same thing that was done in a game made 14 years ago is what should be done with a game yet to be finished right? Yea lets keep remaking the same ideas over and over and over and frikin over agian. That's fresh new and exciting!
    • Up x 1
  11. Fiever Member

Oh snap, things just got serious
  12. Aulara Katra Member

If I wanted to play a cartoony MMO with guns I'd play WoW. If I want to play a game with 14 years of established lore I'll play EQ1. If EQN manages to be 3/4ths the game EQ1 was, I'll play that, too.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tiwi Well-Known Member

Well, therein lies your confusion. Guns are neither "impossible" nor "improbable", hence they do not belong in a fantasy bearing the name Everquest. =P
    • Up x 3
  14. Gossamer Well-Known Member

Meh. We like an argument, hell we like to argue (ahem, *debate*) :) I won't, however, debate anyone who uses Alinsky-esque tactics on us instead of actually giving a thoughtful set of reasons for us to consider regarding why his side is the right side. Calling us purist neckbeards isn't the right angle to make us listen to him, and I bet it's not gonna help his case with the devs who read this forum. Give *them* reasons why you are right, instead of insults. Instead he's offended that we argued against him, since he is apparently an Elite (Top 10%) PC Gamer, and his opinion should be revered with awe. (See what I did there, I used his arguing tactics against him, and it didn't help my cause at all).

You and me got off on the wrong foot there, Fiev, but I've since seen you be plenty respectful (more than I am haha) so I hope to hear some good reasoning for the pro gun side. Hell Elly and Orion want guns and we're all buddies. There's no need for us to all be anything but friends. :)
    • Up x 3
  15. Tiwi Well-Known Member

I dunno....the scenery in Elder Scrolls is gorgeous, but the characters move funny, kind of jerky almost. It's like they tried too hard.
    • Up x 1
  16. Tiwi Well-Known Member

Wow....good illustration of your point! You're right. That's atrocious.

(And I'm so glad I left WoW before the arrival of the teddy bears.)
    • Up x 1
  17. Tiwi Well-Known Member

It happens on occasion =P Just to keep everyone's feetes on the ground =)
    • Up x 1
  18. Gossamer Well-Known Member

So who needs a sword and armor, then? Let's just build an orbital-based weapons platform, launch it into the sky, and press buttons from our comfy, comfy chairs to eliminate any perceived threats? Why play the game at all, if we can just add in anything from any type of fantasy to get rid of our foes? None of us have ever said we want EQN to be EQ1 part2. We want to stick with the original lore, to a point, and go off in tangents from there. Guns are not one of those tangents. There's an infinite number of ways to change, modify, and improve upon the established lore without making the game into something that is not Everquest. I can see that it's hard for you to accept people that don't agree with everything you say, so I don't think you'll be concerned with anything we have to say on this topic. I do expect some reasons, within the established lore that we have seen for EQN, some reasons why you think guns would work. If you're so violently against us having our opinions then prove us the hell wrong.
    • Up x 3
  19. Tiwi Well-Known Member

Damn skippy! :) Debating is more than just who yells the loudest and uses the most multi-syllabic words =)
    • Up x 2
  20. Tiwi Well-Known Member

Oh my...do not get me going here. First of all, everyone has been discussing for pages and pages and pages how the lore is being changed. Second, duh....(did I really just say that?!) we KNOW this is not Everquest. What it is is EverquestNEXT, ie a continuation. (I'm pretty sure you could look up "next" in your dictionary too.) Thirdly, the chances of you winning over a lot of people to your opinion are directly proportional to the frequency in which you use terms like "you people" and "kid" and "purist neckbeard".

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's and you're more than welcome to express it. But please back the truck up and stop attacking people. The smiley at the end of your post doesn't make it any less insulting, thanks.:)
    • Up x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.