How do you feel about modern concepts like guns and Ninjas in EverQuest Next?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackwell2587 Member

Funny, first you and others complain others haven't played EQ1, then backtrack to not having played in the early years, and then backtrack AGAIN with people didn't play the 'golden age' in the mmo's life. Do you see a trend here?

MMOs are supposed to be ever growing, and NOT static games. It doesn't matter WHEN a player joins in, the experience has to be fun and rewarding. But I suppose if I had played at launch 'fans' might just find another excuse to invalidate the complaint.

Yeah, I am so easily driven off when the people running the game ruin my experience. Or am I missing something?
  2. Koraxer Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but as a reviewer you (especially) should have a holistic view of how this genre has evolved. And you cannot have such a viewpoint without 1999-2003 EQ experience under your belt. Trolls are everywhere. Don't blame the game. Blame yourself for allowing yourself to be influenced by them.

Sure, most games should care about reviewers. But this forum is not about your common 40-100 hour game. It is impossible to properly judge a deep MMORPG without having lived it for a long time.

Where is your review of EQ? We would love to see it.
    • Up x 3
  3. Portlis Active Member

Except it does. You're free to join whenever the heck you like, but reviewing a 15 year old game because you didn't like it today is plain stupidity. It truly boggles my mind how you can't see this.

Yeah, you are. Grow a pair, ignore them, and move on. Be an adult. "The community" is not comprised of 1 individual you had a bad experience with. Find other people who you enjoy being around instead.

For someone that "reviews games", you sure don't seem to put very much effort into it.
  4. Blackwell2587 Member

I was still in high school when EQ was out. Frankly, it was the boxart that turned me off to it to begin with (because as a teenage girl, I so loved the prospect of dressing skimpy for the internet as my avataro_O ). It was only the pressure from my then best friend Eric that I bought it, and only after much pleading (and financial investigation of methods of protection) did I convince my parents to allow me to use their credit card for the monthly payments.

This was my first mmo experience, so I didn't know the standard rules. Such as don't tell anyone your true gender. Not only did the player constantly harass me (and in tones suggesting it was a man older then I was at the time), but when I complained to the moderator I now had the supposed 'police' of the mmo now joining in. I won't repeat what the topics included, but sufficient to say it was on topics NO girl or woman would feel safe or comfortable directed at them.

So having that experience, I promptly got off the game. When I told Eric, he also quit his subscription. We both then switched to Anarchy Online. We got lucky, and found a good guild and played it for many years. I played EQ1, and not only almost had mmos ruined for me, but gaming with other people in general.

So there, a review of my EQ1 experience. Sorry, are you now going to tell me that I was not justified in leaving, or my bitter memories of the game? As for being 'holistic'...no and shut up. A LOT of reviewers never played the game at that time, so are you going to tell all of them that they have no idea of how mmos should be since they never played EQ1? Sorry, but that is just flat out ignorant. But please, keep telling me how thin skinned I am for quitting after such a short time or how I am so stupid and not 'holistic' because I didn't play a very small window of a game that has been around for 15 years.
  5. Blackwell2587 Member

So apparently you wish for a game to remain static then and never change? Because why should the enjoyment go down after 15 years? I'm not saying it didn't, but what is the rule that a game must get WORSE the longer it is out? So no, that doesn't invalidate what I said. A game should be enjoyable even after 15 years.

First off this wasn't 'one' person. This was someone who was talking sexually to a 17 year old girl on a video game. Second, this was ALSO another person (a moderator) talking sexually to a 17 year old girl on a video game. Third, this was the very first experience said girl had with playing in a game with a community of people. Fourth, there is even MORE drama I could share here involving EQ1 at that point in my life, after I had left the game, but it's far to personal to share to you or anyone else on the forums.

You really don't get context. You also don't get it the point. Why would ANYONE pay to play a game that had people that makes them uncomfortable? First impressions matter, and like it or not that is what others hear in reviews. I've long since argued that reviews should also be done on communities, because it doesn't matter if a game is good if the community tolerates players like the one I mentioned in my last post.

Your claims are that guns will ruin the game. At this point, i'm claiming that it's the old school crowd that is ruining the franchise as a whole. They did it ten years ago and frankly they are not doing anything to warm me up to them today. If even the developers state they plan to approach adding them cautiously, I am pretty gosh darn certain you never had to worry about an AK-47 being added to the game. As for not liking any guns in general you still don't get the point i'm trying to make. Frankly, I don't care if you do get it at this point.
  6. Dexella Content & Social Media Manager

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking time to participate in this Round Table poll! As a reminder, here was the original Developer response video:

We also discussed this question in our Round Table livestream in October 2013:

This is a question, and subsequent discussion, that had an impact not only on these specific design elements, but on how we've been structuring Round Table polls as a whole. So thank you for your passionate responses! At this time, we're going to be locking this thread (for more info, see "Round Table: Forum Updates"). We look forward to chatting with you on the other open RT topics!

Thanks,
    Dexella
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.