How do you feel about modern concepts like guns and Ninjas in EverQuest Next?

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Dexella, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asphyx Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with your statement! If I needed a port I would find either a druid or wizard who would port me! Do not destroy the sense of adventure! EQ2 had more then way too many ports! If I was in kunark I was a click away from going back to town! I want to be lost! I want to take the time to get around! I liked the boat rides! It made you really think you was going somewhere! All these new games are destroying "Adventure" because everyone has cried about it on the forums! Make them suffer! Because this is what gives the game substance! Paying a few silver, gold, or platinum for a free ride doesn't matter to anyone! Make this game a real community again so people are forced to interact with each other. Make boats, mounts, adventure matter again!
    • Up x 6
  2. Fiever Member

Well time to use this new lovely relaxed format.

I would like to start off by saying that I looked back through the first couple pages last night and tried a little bit of EQ2 to see more into what people are talking about.

First off, I would like to apologize and say, I now understand more.
    Though I see that no matter how I word this it still boils down to. I wouldn't mind seeing guns in the game that fit the look and lore.
    I personally don't play ranger type classes but melee, heal, and mage like classes.
    To me, it's more of a "it wouldn't bother me the least bit."
    • Up x 2
  3. Xurtan Well-Known Member

Which is all we really wanted, really. Come from a place of knowledge, of understanding, of intelligent discussion.. and you will be welcomed with open arms. Whichever side you agree with. We're all on opposite sides of this issue but it's only broken down into personal attacks.. two, three times throughout the (now) 207 page thread? Really, we're quite civilized. More than most MMOs forums - although I sadly feel as we expand we'll lose the sense of community and closeness we've gained.
    • Up x 3
  4. Aazimar Well-Known Member

Thanks for trying out EQ2 last night. We can be a loyal bunch at times, and can act like angry mothers when our game is threatened. I apologize too for sounding too harsh.

...but, I'll still build a troll brothel next to your plot of land if ya build a firing range next to mine! *cheers*
    • Up x 3
  5. Gragnok Member

Then if they make trolls a playable race in EQ next, I will have my troll visit your brothel as often as possible! :D
    • Up x 2
  6. Fiever Member

Target practice ;)
  7. Gragnok Member

I miss sneaking through the tunnels and sewers of Freeport so I could catch the ship to Faydwer. Fun times! :D
    Also running past the dock guards, then making rude troll gestures at them when I made my escape on the ships. It was truly a shame when PoP killed all of that with the PoK, and those stupid tomes in every newbie zone.
    • Up x 5
  8. Asphyx Well-Known Member

That's my point, I can tell stories all day long about traveling before that.. but how many tales do you have after the easy/lazy travel/ports from A to B do you got? I can't think of one! My first trip in Everquest was on a boat, and the boat got attacked by a Cyclops and I died! I never did find my corpse, I was scared to death looking in the water at night with that thing on the island!
    • Up x 6
  9. Gragnok Member

I remember a situation where me and a friend of mine were trying to find someones corpse after that very thing happened! Those kinds of stories never happened after PoP. Many of the languages my characters learned was from those boat rides.
    • Up x 4
  10. Asphyx Well-Known Member

Same here! :) It was so hard to understand some people, till you learned their language!
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  11. Gragnok Member

Bringing back something like ships for traveling to other lands, or having to run across the continent again would be very cool. Just make sure it's morning when you get to Kithicor Woods ;)
    • Up x 4
  12. Asphyx Well-Known Member

That's what we need, things that are not predictable. I hated waiting on a boat knowing the sun was going down, but that alone added a new dimension to the game. It made you actually have to think about well.. my plan A has now changed to plan B! Maybe I should go do C while I wait for morning to come... Or do I just do plan A? Risk vs Reward!
    • Up x 2
  13. Gragnok Member

Or wondering if the guards were going to show up before the ship did :D
    • Up x 2
  14. Snargo Member

Madlung this is probably one of the best post I have seen on these forums. This is the kind of essence that games need to get back to. Everything shouldn't be a walk in the park. A dumb warrior should need a Wizards help to identify a magical item but a wizard should also need the help of that same warrior to defeat the might kobold king.
    • Up x 5
  15. Pedekele Well-Known Member

When this comes to debate, guess what, there will be alot of "NO!" (same goes for the "iron golem", that thing is a joke.)

Also i never mentioned this about guns:
    If you're not familiar with GW2, watch some footage. Their guns may be considered "old guns" but they shoot as frequent as new guns and they behave as if they have magazines. It looks almost like someone is shooting with a modern rifle/shotgun/handgun... That's unacceptable.
    • Up x 1
  16. Xurtan Well-Known Member

I hate that mount and I truly hope we stay far, far away from anything like that in EQN. Still, none of that kind of thing existed when I played EQI, and I played for a number of years - when was that mount added? And yes, that's one of the things I keep mentioning about guns that no one on that side of the fence ever seems to have a response to. *snort*
    • Up x 1
  17. Pedekele Well-Known Member

Yes! Thank you wise koala wizard!:D

And dont say its not possible with the new classless system:
    You could implement a zodiac for each player to pick at the start for said set of utility abilities or just let us pick a few individual strenghts/weakness'. This is an RPG after all.
    Simplifying combat to 8 skills for moba-style action combat doesnt mean you should leave these things behind either. Its a vital piece of depth we'd lose.
    • Up x 3
  18. Elleon Well-Known Member

Really? No one? NO ONE? lol
  19. Ironskull Member

I am not a fan of modern concepts in the EQN world at this point. The main reason for this is I don't see how they would be implemented in a way that makes sense...

Yes, gnomes tinker thus the air powered wubahuz fitz gun was created, but it kills the wielder far more than the target. I have played other games that had concepts like engineer who used guns so I know it is possible to do but to me the idea is like sand in me nethers, it don't feel right and I don't want it in der, but alas der it is...

If implemented in a manner that does huge dps but also has huge risk it maybe fun, but to see a gunslinger strutting his spurs down Freeport just rubs me the wrong way so much so, my axe would fine a nice comfy home where his head used to be...

Ninja are different than guns, to me Ninja are not a modern concept, that being said I don't think it should be available as a starting class to all races. I see this as limited to a specific race.
    • Up x 2
  20. Xurtan Well-Known Member

You've come closest, but your arguments also tend to fall along the realm of 'Eh, let's just handwave it. They have to be equal to bows.' or such. *shrug* That's not really an argument for it, that just continues the 'They're cool, so let's add them' mindset. Considering how important lore and roleplaying is to the EQ franchise, I'm curious how people think guns could work and still remain within that setting. IE, rudimentary, as opposed to following WoW, GW2, or WAR, and having them fire like modern weapons.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.