WorldRanger chat channel - All Ranger, All the Time :)

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Jay42, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

LOL...nah, not AWOL. And I do tend to avoid the stat comparison conversations. That's just not my thing.

I actually keep the channel open all the time, but you have to understand my simple mind to totally understand. I just can't keep up with too many things simultaneously. My guild is one of the largest on the server...so that means constant stuff going on in guild chat. Also, rarely can I log on and go for more than 2 or 3 minutes without someone from the guild wanting to go do something....open up group chat. Also, for whatever reason, I have a lot of in-game friends who like to chat as well...private chat always going....at this point, my head is about to explode. Now it's time for our raid..raid chat going strong........

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKK !!!!! TOO....MUCH....STUFF...MUST....TAKE....SEDATIVE...

Shew....Oh...sorry...so you see...I have to close that chat window from time to time...

Seriously, at the end of the night I usually take a few minutes to scroll back through all the text and try to catch up on what's going on. I may not make much noise, but I'm lurking behind the tree waiting for my opportunity...hehe.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mentla Guest

Either I'm doing something wrong or you guys aren't on when I'm on (was on around 8 till 12 UK time last night). Reckon I did something wrong tbh - which box do you have to have checked in the chat options? I tried putting it in a new tab but there was nothing there. :(
  3. ARCHIVED-Cronon Guest

Type /join Butcherlblock.WorldRanger
    Type /channellist
    Look for the number associated with BWR. (we will use 1 for our purposes)
    Type /1 Hello, how is everyone doing tonight?
    You should get a response... :)
  4. ARCHIVED-Mentla Guest

and I have to type /1 everytime?
  5. ARCHIVED-Dasanhgul Guest

If that is the only channel you have, yes... in my case WorldRanger is my 3rd channel, so I have to type "/3 OMG Rangers suck OMG".
  6. ARCHIVED-Mentla Guest

I am old. I have a limited capacity for learning new things. It seems unlikely that I will ever manage to have a conversation with any of you, or even see what you are saying....but I will be there in spirit!
  7. ARCHIVED-Cronon Guest

And you are playing EQ2 where everything changes week to week? j/k.

Seriously, once you find out which # it was assigned by using a /channellist, it will pretty much stay the same. After that, it's really no different than remembering /g, /gu, /t, etc. Join the channel and use the /channellist. It really is much easier than it appears and we would love another voice in the cacophany that is WorldRangers.
  8. ARCHIVED-Mentla Guest

I've never used the /g /gu thing, I just have a seperate tab for guild and group and that's it. Is set to only show those two, which is why I'm having difficulty setting up a new one which will show this channel thing.

My poor brain...
  9. ARCHIVED-Sulas Guest

It was nice to meet you all. I wish I'ld remembered to join before last night.

cheers.
  10. ARCHIVED-Dasanhgul Guest

Joined last nite, but didn't have a lot of time online... will see you around fellas.
  11. ARCHIVED-Rician Guest

SEE!!! SEE!! I told you...you dont have to worry about Cat while she is chatting...its when she gets quiet. Who knows what lurks behind the shadows..ITS CAT!!! She'll slap you upside the head and yell tag and then she's off.

This channel has been one of the best fullfilled community venture yet. With all the fun and sharing of our ideas, our class gets better with each passing day. Kudos to all the Rangers in EQ2.

Rician (Ricci)
  12. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Last night in the WorldRanger channel, there was a lot of hair-tearing over all the "ranger nerfs" coming in LU16. Most of these are beneficial changes, not nerfs, so I'm surprised that a few folks were so upset over all of it. That whining and the subsequent "my raid ideas are better than your raid ideas" discussion actually prompted me to turn off the channel, for the first time since I created it. Kinda disappointing, but inevitable. I just hope people can keep the discussion civil and share ideas instead of acting like we're in some kind of competition or bragging about how high their stats and DPS can get. That kind of conversation (if you can call it that) isn't much fun for anyone.
  13. ARCHIVED-Cronon Guest

I haven't turned it off, but I've been ignoring it more. I agree with you, Kae. I saw the converstation and immediately recognized it as one I would not be getting in to. Nevertheless, it's a channel for Rangers, so I really don't think i can direct the conversation. I can, however, like you choose not to participate when it happens. I always look forward to an exchange of ideas, but the "my way is better than your way" bs has no place on a channel like this.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Yeah, basically. I'm going to express my disappointment when people start treating each other like crap and getting competitive and immature, but I can't do anything to stop it. As I said to Cersi tho, the weight of public opinion will police behavior on its own. If someone is getting way out of line, they will find find the backlash from the rest of the channel isn't worth enduring.
    All I ask is that we try to keep it constructive and friendly, even in disagreement. Nothing to be gained by insulting each other or getting competitive about whose stats are better or whose raid strategies are "right."
    I'll see you guys tonight, in-game. :)
  15. ARCHIVED-Vimy Guest

I was on when the update notes finally went up.

I think the changes are good for the balance of the game. Was happy to see that were at least a few voices of reason that spoke up, but kinda zoned out when the raid talk started up.... when you start arguing over "the best way" went both ways work.... I don't get it.

As any perl programer knows, TMTOWTDI. :smileywink:
    Message Edited by Vimy on 11-04-2005 11:37 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-Zholain Guest

Hmmmm...kinda glad I missed it. To say that I would have been disappointed in our behavior is an understatment if it was as bad as you guys are indicating.
  17. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Yeah, Cat - at the time I thought "I'm glad Cat's not here to see this." Then I turned it off cuz I had to concentrate on my group and things were getting very talkative in rangerworld.

It probably wasn't even all THAT bad, it was just a surprise, given that most of us get along so well so much of the time. We don't flame each other, we don't have harsh posts, we don't insult, our boards aren't burdened by flame wars and recrimination. I think I started to take that for granted, so when there was friction in the channel, it just caught me off-guard.

But it's like we talked about before - turning away from something we value highly doesn't solve anything. And I certainly don't intend to let one experience (and an admittedly small number of agitators) ruin something that's a very important part of this game.
  18. ARCHIVED-Mentla Guest

Have to say it's always there but everytime I click on the tab there's nothing I'd like to be involved in going on :(

Shame really - can we not set up a passworded one just for the nice Rangers off here?
  19. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Yeah, we could, but that would directly contradict the intent and spirit of "community." Not everyone in your neighborhood or family is always pleasant to be around, either. :)
  20. ARCHIVED-Cersiana Guest

no not everyone around is always nice... i'm one of the not always so nice ones... you guys gonna leave me behind? *sad face*