Why nerf on Hurricane?

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-Zamla1770, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Zamla1770 Guest

Hi Swashs!
    Just want to point out that it is important to check facts regarding usefulness. Just stating an oppinion without parsing dps, and thinking about how you parse, can harm the class in general.
    I so wish that a dev could comment on Hurricane, do devs really understand what the cut % in half meant, if it was tested how could SoE testers reach such a diffrent result then the testing player base?
  2. ARCHIVED-Earl_Of_Bronze Guest

As part of a raiding guild, I use this CA in alot of varied situations. I can confidently say this change has cripled its usage.

As a side note, with the recent vitality changes, it's now possible to have two higher level archetypes. I figure two classes can't be borked.
    Message Edited by Earl_Of_Bronze on 11-30-2005 09:48 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Debunkt Guest

Read through the patch notes but didn't see any references to Hurricane. Won't be on for a couple days to check, any chance it was stealth enhanced? :smileysurprised:
  4. ARCHIVED-Mion da Peon Guest

HAHAHAH... oh you were serious?

They havn't even come onto this thread to try explain or discuss it. The only dev post on the subject was a weaksauce excuse citing the extra duel weild damage/procs as the reason for the intended ajustment.

I still feel that this needs to be looked at and brought up. 60% at adept 3 would be somewhat comperable to any of the other ancient teaching abilities.
  5. ARCHIVED-AegisCrown Guest

After reading through this thread i figured id post my concerns etc... I find myself agreeing with the idea of nerfing the original hurricane, not that 88% at Adept III was overpowered but 100% at Master I was overpowered. With it procing every hit, this skill would have been an AoE machine and thats not what was intended. When i read that it was going to be nerfed i was hoping for something significant but not half. say 75% at M1 and say 66% at ad3 this would have been a 25% nerf but much more acceptable. Now after reading through this thread i find the idea of making it target encounter only even better, but only if it came with an increase in proc rate. Making it encouter specific would make it much more cointrolable than it currently, not that we have to worry with it only procing 50% of the time. I guess im just ranting and ill stop now, just sad to see such a useful spell with much potential get through down the tube.
  6. ARCHIVED-Admundforth Guest

wont happen.....since DoF beta me and a few other have asked that hurrican be made "encounter only"..
    nothing like soloing in Tombs or Silent city using hurrican < pre nerf> and a group runs through training all the solo mobs right into your proc <hurrican> :)
    bahh why am i even still posting on these forumns lol................<bordem at college>...sigh wish civ 4 would run on these machines :)
  7. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

Many of us agree that master 1 was overpowered but to drop a3 to such a low number was overkill and we all have been asking that it be adjusted but, I don't see it happening. Our begging has gone ignored and so has the change to Hurricane, while other overpowered skills from other classes remain untouched.
  8. ARCHIVED-MyTFlyGuy Guest

I would be Very happy to see A3 at around 66% and Master 1 at around 75% Proc rate.
  9. ARCHIVED-Zamla1770 Guest

Any devs out there feeling like giving us some info on plans for Hurricane?
  10. ARCHIVED-Arciahand Guest

66% for adept 3 would rock, and if 75% for the master 1 was available I would buy it, but not a 6% gain to 50% that is just stupid.

This is just speculation... I am curious because once again I was chatting with people (that I don't know) in a group and they brought up the Master 3 thing... I started to think about the potential scaling. If Master 3s became available, the table could look something like this:

Adept 1: 38% (am I right? I don't have it, never did)
    Adept 3: 44%
    Master 1: 50%
    Master 3: 56%

Yeah, ok, so THEORETICALY, you could score a 56% out of Hurricane as it stands... Perhaps they could jump the skill as if it had a Master 2 level and pump it up to 62%, but who cares? That is still too low.... I agree, Hurricane should not reach over 75%... and it would piss people off if they restored some of our potential here to only knock it down again.

IF we get confirmation that Master 3s are to be implemented in the near future, here is the table I think would be accpetable:

Master 3: 75%
    Master 1: 66%
    Adept 3: 57%
    Adept 1: 48%

A 9% increase in each tier is enough to modivate someone to buy the upgrade, or try to get the drop. Perhaps a 10% upgrade would be apropriate, again, keeping Master 3 at 75%

Can anyone point me to a thread where a credible source brings up Master 3s and if they are planning on implementing them before the next expansion?

Would any Dev like to comment?
  11. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

It'll never happen and adept 3 is 44%. They have made up their mind and there will be no fixing the nerf on hurricane.

Changed to 44%, not sure where I got 33% from.
    Message Edited by Naggybait on 12-08-2005 02:09 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Dunkeltraene Guest

Hello... uhm... I just had a dumb thought or maybe not...

The Devs say it was kinda overpowered and cause of the thing that dual weapons proc more often now, they nerf Hurricane (hope I'm right).
    I think this higher Proc-Rate means something like the primary weapon has normal proc-rate and the secondary like 50% of the original one (hope I'm right again).

Now I look at the ability "Hurricane" and it says:

*Caster has a xx% chance of having their primary weapon's autoattack affect multiple targets they're facing, who are in melee range"

I'm german, still my english is quite good and a " 's " isn't the plural. So I think of my swashie to have a PRIMARY Weapon (Slot 1) and a SECONDARY Weapon (Slot 2). Wouldn't that mean that this higher proc chance of Dual Wield won't count? Cause only the prime weapon CAN activate the proc?

Not sure about that, would be nice of a dev to clear this up...
  13. ARCHIVED-Arciahand Guest

Adept 3 is 44%

Master 1 is 50%

not 33%
  14. ARCHIVED-MyTFlyGuy Guest

Dunkeltrain .... Not a dumb tthought at all friend....

I think though they are looking at the " Dual wield" type of weapon and the proc chance on the type.

So weather you have dual weapons equiped or not .... If you have a Dual wield type in that main hand , then it procs more now than it used to.