Why nerf on Hurricane?

Discussion in 'Swashbuckler' started by ARCHIVED-Zamla1770, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Zamla1770 Guest

Not sure devs understand how little use hurricane are to us at this low proc %, Swashs have a lot of low to medium dmg CA´s with low recast, in many fights we spam CA´s from start to end, so we dont get many auto attacks in, given that and the fact that we miss in warying degrees depending on mob lvl´s Hurricane has now become close to usless.

I cant beleve devs intend that any of the 3 special CA´s all classes got was ment to be usless. Ment to help in class defining yes, Hurricane is no longer a help in class defining.
  2. ARCHIVED-CMcGill Guest

Ahh I think I get it... hurricane is meant to be our lvl 52 "fun" spell, cause it's about as useful now.
  3. ARCHIVED-deaks Guest

Swashbucklers may not have been beating Rangers, but they sure the hell were cleaning the floor with Assassins in single-group play pre-LU16. For single-target battles pre-CU we were pretty close, my guild Swashbuckler and I would routinely compete for the highest dps spot in Epic instance battles. After the combat update, however, he would regularly post over 1k DPS in our xp groups (largely a result of his attacks refreshing fast enough to be used more regularly in such battles whereas my combat arts would refresh maybe every 2-3 battles). For single-target Epic battles after the CU the field was fairly even between Swash and Assassins, usually I would win every other one as the Swash caught me with my combat arts still not refreshed.

I have never seen an Assassin post numbers this high on a consistent basis pre-LU16. So when you say Predators, be sure to indicate Rangers and not Assassins.
  4. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

This was a problem with Assassins, not Swashbucklers but yea, I meant Rangers. Assassins were broke but, I guess they had ot do their normal thing and nerf others to bring assassins up.

I guess another class was whining about our hurricane, while they have amazing reflexes, which is 10 times better than hurricane could be, even if it was left at 88%.
  5. ARCHIVED-Lukia Guest

Thanks for your opinion there Deaks, I know that the top assassin in my guild vertually gave up on the class post combat revamp, hopefully with the changes he will be back in full swing, I miss competing with him for the top DPS scout spot on raids, I am not particularly worried about the level of DPS that rangers do, if they do that kind of DPS on a raid they are going to pull aggro and die, then their DPS goes down the tubes anyway.

I would like to point out here, that having thought about it, having Hurricane nerfed is not that much of a downer to me, couple more levels and pretty much all I will be doing is raiding, and Hurricane is not a raid friendly skill, the tactics my guild uses pretty much excludes me from using it 99% of the time anyway, the high percentage proc on Hurricane was pretty much only really useful in Tremblar raids where everyone was going all out AE DPS, I don't think I will miss it that much, its too situational in its use.

With so few Swashies int he game, (I was the 35th lvl 50 swashy on my server, and hit lvl 50 10 months after game release) it is quite disheartening to see such pesimism on these boards, I really would like to focus on the positives of our class, we are still, I consider, Teir 1 raid scouts, and just 1 change would make us near prefect, with only minor future adjustments needed.

Oh, and btw Naggy, I felt that after the combat revamp, that one of the devs played a Swashy, not a Brigand as you so adimantly put it, we did get alot of love from the combatr revamp, probably too much, we became the top of the scout by a long margin, it was very disheartening to see alot of other high level scouts stop playing their toons because they were not as loved as we were by the combat revamp.

Lastly, thank you Lockeye for keeping us informed, it is much appreciated by most if not all of us I am sure. Just one thing I would like to ask, is there any future plans to make the Diversion line (aggro transfer) targetable across raid, as Swashies we are never going to be a fixture in the main tank group in a raid, it is a shame to have such a great skill unused for a majority of our highend game play time.

Game on guys, and have fun
  6. ARCHIVED-PallorTheSilent Guest

No I wouldn't.....
    I would be happy that I could deal dps on a raid instead of having to joust hoping the big AoE DoT didn't hit me, as I would get no heals and die.

Rant ON....
    You can have my hail of steel any day. Hell they still won't put imbues on satchels, pouches, sheaths, and bandoleers that we are now forced to use for ranged skills. Hell... I know a few raid mobs who's AoE has the range of almost a longbow. So guess what happens if you are using throwing weapons.... owned.

Brigands and Swashbucklers share 6 or more skills post level 20. I say screw the ranged junk and let us share Amazing reflexes. I don't like the fact that they made a rogue class a bastardized ranger. I am a rogue... I do up close and personal damage. Leave the ranged skills to Predators.
    Rant Off....
  7. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

I, and osme others worked ourt butts off with the dev team member in beta to try and get us straightened out. It was a different dev team member in beta than now. I posted all of our problems, I guess they all talked about it or whatever they do and they made the changes. I, and some others, did all we could to work with them to get us fixed and I think thigs turned out great. However, now there seems to be someone else there and now things are going back to the way they were. Things getting nerfed.

I put a lot of time into my swashbuckler. I hung with him for the 9+ months that they were broke. My guild let me on raids and such because I was hardcore player, even though swashbucklers sucked. Then during beta, I saw things get better and I had hope finally and then at release, we had finally come into our own and a LOT, if not all, Swashbucklers were happy.

Then the nerfs started.

Yes, Hurricane is VERY situational. That's why I don't understand the reason for the nerf. That's why I don't understand why they had to kill it to nothing.

I stuck with it. I stuck through all the crap and getting crap about how Swashbucklers sucked. I hung in there hoping and then things got better but, now I see things getting nerfed left and right and it's disheartening to start going through all this again, after all I went through and as hard as I tried to help get us here.

It was more than just hurricane but that one got killed to nothing, while Amazing reflexes got 6% or so hate gain and that was it. Nothing the hate transfer can't overcome. Hurricane was FAR from overpowered. It being as situational as it was kept it's use to a minimum. It balanced itself out. There was no need to whack it so hard that it became useless, based on the assumption some other class would complain.

I been here from day one and suffered through all the hard time as a Swashbuckler and put up with all the crap and I feel I have a right to complain about nerfs starting to hit us. My Swashbuckler has been my main from Day 0 of the Grand opening (the day before the official opening). I guess my mistake was not switching to a brigand, or something else like most of my brethren did because the class was so busted.

Hurricane was our 52 special, one of 3 we get from 50-60. It got whacked to uselessness, yet you don't see the Brigands very powerful 52 special, Amazing reflexes, getting nerfed to uselessness.

So, that's where I am coming from on this.
    Message Edited by Naggybait on 11-13-2005 02:21 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-Scortch Guest

I wonder if they will fix Hurricane so that it is no longer useless? If not, then why not just replace it with Amazing Reflexes?
  9. ARCHIVED-PallorTheSilent Guest

10. ARCHIVED-deaks Guest

Good luck guys.
  11. ARCHIVED-Serindyl Guest

A solution to fixing Hurricane may be to make it enounter only. They will never raise it back to where it was, but I can live with having it on all the time, if I knew it would not bring other aggro from outside the group. Then it may at least provide benefit with the odd pot shots to other members in the group.
  12. ARCHIVED-Zamla1770 Guest

PallorTheSilent, what did you say?
  13. ARCHIVED-Debunkt Guest

I believe he said: coughDon'tletthisfallundertheradarcough ... or something like that.
    I don't think anyone is satisfied with this spell. It was a heavy handed change and needs to be enhanced, even if only slightly.
    Changing it to an encounter based skill. or..
    Upping the proc % to at least 50-60. or..
    Allowing the proc to trigger off either hand/weapon.
  14. ARCHIVED-deaks Guest

That would be an impressive increase in power for this combat art. Not in terms of raw damage output, but in terms of increasing its usefulness in many situations (other than xp grinding). Now, I'm not saying that this would be overpowering -- that remains to be seen -- but I wouldn't be surprised if the proc rate remained extremely low in this case to compensate for the added utility. At the same time, the power of this combat art has been drastically reduced recently, so its anyones guess. Also, it seems thematically wrong for the 'hurricane' to only hit mobs in a specific encounter, not that flavor is a strong-point of EQ2, just that its something that I prefer EQ2 to start focusing on.

Some kind of change to this combat art resulting in its effect being made encounter-only would seem like an obvious fix to it. But I wouldn't expect an impressive proc rate to go along with such a change.
  15. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

The thing is, when you are 60 and using this pretty much only in a raid situation, it was not overpowered, it was useful. It's not like I use it for leveling because we all know there are classes and skills a LOT more overpowered than Hurricane could ever be for soloing, etc. Even if you are 60 and use it solo or group, it's only to clear trash or something. Even people leveling, with all the additions to make leveling easier, it's not like it was overpowered to begin with.

The limited use with it being out of encounter kept it's use and power down as it was. I don't see the overpowered nature some people claim as it is limited in use.

It is FAR from being anything near as powerful as some skills certain classes have. No where even close.
    Message Edited by Naggybait on 11-22-2005 04:19 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-okc0r Guest

Just wanted to add :

"I'm still not happy with hurricane. Do something please."
  17. ARCHIVED-Korwyn Guest

I am having Hurricane made as an Adept 3...am I wasting a rare?

Kilbane Swashbuckler of AB

Cormac Retired Guardian of AB
  18. ARCHIVED-the fluke Guest

Depends on who on this forum you talk to. I still find it usefull.
  19. ARCHIVED-Naggybait Guest

Might as well give it up. They don't like us having it and don't want to fix it to make it useful.

It's not going to be fixed. If they intended to fix it, they would have already.

I wasted my pearl having it made into adept 3.
    Message Edited by Naggybait on 11-29-2005 11:51 PM
  20. ARCHIVED-Arciahand Guest

I don't want to go and say that Huricane is cool right now, I would like it to be a bit better than it is, but it is far from useless.

Was XPing on Raptors last night, we got overrun by a second group and I had hurcane up, I almost always leave it up, very rarely do we fight in an area that I do not want to hit all the stuff around me (Have some good tanks in my guild) I hit inspired daring and between that proc, my haste, and poisions I did some serious damage to all the raptors in the area, the tank had to concentrate on Agro a bit because I was starting to pull mobs off him.

Long story short, yes... Huricane was a ton better back in the day. I think it is on the weak end for ancient teachings... but still usefull, more so than some.

So for those reasing the forum, get the adept 3, hell, if you find a master good on ya, pick it up! As as Adept 1 or less I think Huricane is less than usefull.