What's wrong with ranger

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Griz, Nov 9, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Trobon the Orange Guest

Rangers are teh lords of Everquest. We are not the most respected due to our hygine, but we rule all that we see. We are not understood by all and that's why we are rarer than other more falshy classes, but that suits us fine. If you don't like ranger fine, but don't troll our board any more, cause we have better things to do.
  2. ARCHIVED-Archanis Guest

I played a ranger to level 27 in Beta, and although I agree with some of what Griz is saying, I still had a blast playing my ranger. One thing I don't do is try to compare myself with other classes (even within the archtype).

I had a lot of fun with the bow combat abilities. I really can't say how good they are because the combat arts changed a lot during the last few weeks of beta -- I didn't get all my skills up to at least adept 1. I was still doing some great damage with app2 skills.

I don't mind not having all the utilities that other scouts have. Yes I wish we got increased movement speed while stealthed like the other scouts -- I think everytime a scout levels, they should move a little bit faster while stealthed.

Remember Griz, that was beta, and they were still doing a lot of tweaking.
  3. ARCHIVED-Blackard Guest

I understand what you are saying here, and that is well and good, but the game is, and will eventually come down to, grouping worth. In order to be a viable class, the ranger has to fall into that. In short, have the ability to work with a group that is pulling and continually killing, or raiding a top end mob.
    That is why I stated that the ranger needs a more viable role. That can be done with the bow with little problem. Group only crits will solve that with the ranger having a high percentage of taking 1/8 the hp of a mob, less % of taking 1/4 hp, even lesser percent of 1/2 the hp, and the very rare chance of takng 3/4 hp-with the percentages going up or down depending on the level of the mob. That alone would make bowfighting worth it, and make rangers viable.
    Add to that, high end sword dps, a couple of buffs, great dodge and parry skills (so he can't really tank, but can avoid damage) and you have a great killing machine that would be desired in any group.
    Just how I see the ranger class.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Well I will almost be exclusively grouping with my guild, so I won't have too much worry about desirability. Keeping Blade Flurry up all the time, I can drop a mobs health failr quickly when it procs, you have no idea how important this skill is, always keep it up.
    Use your buffs, you will do massive damage every once in awhile, that will make groups seriously desire your DPS.
  5. ARCHIVED-Blackard Guest

Kag,

That is along the lines of what I wanted to hear regarding ranger bow damage. Nice to see something like that.
  6. ARCHIVED-Pale_Fire Guest

I'm still not sure what the fuss is about. You're evaluating the worth of a class based on 5 levels of experience. Rangers don't get their bow specials till 20. They have no bow related specials prior to that. By 25, they've gotten a handful of the skills they'll be using over the course of their career as Rangers. In a way, it's almost like starting a new character. Obviously, there are a number of post level 25 Rangers who've seen success with the class. By the way, describing the class as boring because all you do is mash buttons is just stupid. All classes are that way. Fighter, Mage, Cleric and Scout are all button mashing festivals. You push the buttons in the right sequence to get the desired result. Clerics and crowd controllers are a little more sophisticated, but not by much. I'm not gonna accept the opinion of one or two people who've only played 5 or 6 levels of the class.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

You get bow special attacks starting at level 15 and 16, then one special at 20.
    Now while you can not really say you know a class till it's lived in, you can get a feel for combat. But I think people should be moving a lot of these comments to the Predator forum, until they are actually a ranger, and can comment.
  8. ARCHIVED-Pale_Fire Guest

My bad. I thought bow attacks didn't start appearing till 20.
  9. ARCHIVED-Lord Biff Guest

lol, where are you guys digging up all this stuff? Rangers are the Lords of Norrath, NRA of Norrath, Killers of Norrath ... we skulk in bushes and foist the lives from our prey with the greatest of skill!! ... blah blah. :)

I was considering playing a Ranger. Apparently I need to cook up some grandiose titles for him if I do.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Dude, rangers are the shizzy :) You have to be the baddest, and play the same if you hope to survive :)
  11. ARCHIVED-ZNICK Guest

12. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

In the fantasy world rangers are notoriously solitary, usually only congregating with other rangers. It's not surprising, then, that a ranger would have no need of group stealth. Whereas an Assassin, a hired thug, might need to hide hirelings of his own that he picked up to help with a job. Hey, just working with the Genre. Shoot me down.
  13. ARCHIVED-ST-Reborn Guest

Guys, look at EQ2 players website and look what class has all the highest melee damage hits! Its the predators! we own! we just need a tank so we can attack fro mthe backside and use our stalk.
    one question though, what is the reconassaince skill do? and what does it mean hehe?
    thanks for the help
  14. ARCHIVED-Cexia Guest

Yup ranger sucks ballz. Everyone should just drop subject and go play something else now.

waiting...

waiting...

still here?

But ranger suck, why are you still here?

Hurry along now.

Odd. Rangers suck but you cant seem to move on. Sounds like commitment issues. Now run along, less competition for me.
  15. ARCHIVED-Griz Guest

16. ARCHIVED-Pale_Fire Guest

Griz, all classes have a degree of button mashing, particularly fighter classes. It's obvious you're bitter that SOE's Ranger class isn't what you wanted. Play you're Bard and move on.
  17. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

The only problem with this statement is that, you cast debuffs and dots, and control pets, by depressing (mashing) buttons.

We have all kinds of attacks, stealthed, range, etc. your argument is stupid, a video game is button mashing period. We mash buttons more often because our buttons refresh faster, that doesn't change the fact that all classes push a certain and often identical combination of buttons to survive an encounter.

Really, that was a nice try. Too bad about being wrong and all. Kisses!

-blitz
  18. ARCHIVED-Sembrin1 Guest

I'm still yet a Predator (13) but I'm going Ranger. Bummer that so many people seem to be unhappy with the class, but I'll wait until I'm higher level to pass judgment on it. Regardless, just like EQ and all the other games I've played, I'm going ranger and sticking with it through thick and thin. If indeed it is gimped compared to other classes, I'll just have to trust to SOE to help the class out. It took them 4 years in EQ to makes Rangers a class actually wanted for grouping, but they did it. I think they've learned since then how to balance classes a bit more, and they do listen to us when we have valid complaints.

A lot of people are like me and just want to play a Ranger regardless of anything else. I may have to lean on RL friends and guildies for groups later on, but I'll worry about it then. If you don't want to play a Ranger, don't. Some people seem obsessed with maximizing their DPS potential and being leet. I'm sure the Assassin and Bards classes will love to have ya! I'm here to have fun, and so far I am.
  19. ARCHIVED-podunk Guest

I wish I would have read this post before I started down the dark path....oh well.
  20. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

So many people? It looks like ONE person that's been unhappy. Focus. One. It's going to be OK.