What's wrong with ranger

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Griz, Nov 9, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-AS7GAtlas Guest

People here seem to think the ranger class is "****" such as it was in EQ1. Negating the fact that no one ahs a ranger higher than 25, you are not realizing that a ranger class is a lot harder to play. In EQ1 rangers were a very good class, except that most people playing them were idiots who didn't know how to play the class (myself included). There was one ranger that got Cazic Thule down to half health solo. Rangers have always been a good class. They just require a bit of brains behind the keyboard to be viable. You can't expect to be an awesome tank or crowd controller while being a ranger. As a ranger you have to concentrate on doing as much dmg as possible as quickly as possible. So chances are if you have a ranger in your group and he's doing nothing viably for the group, then chances are he's and idiot that should play a simpler class, such as a fighter or mage.
  2. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

ZING. Go atlas. You crazy battlemech sunuvawoodelf.
  3. ARCHIVED-Reichevel Guest

During beta the class with the highest melee hit was a swashbuckler. Just thought I'd clarify that.
  4. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

But if you recall the last two weeks of beta, an incredible amount of changes were made, especially to the scout class in general.
  5. ARCHIVED-Griz Guest

What are you on about? Ranger is the most MIND-BLOWINGLY BORING CLASS when grouped. All you ever do is stand behind the mob and mash the same sequence of attacks over and over. Caster, melee, single, multiple, NO DIFFERENCE. It's all the same and it's all boring as hell. It requires no tactics or thought and has very little in common with the EQ1 ranger.
  6. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Griz, you whiny son of a gnomish knave, I've SEEN you on Steamfont. You're a level 10 Fighter. FIGHTER. Fi-gh-t-er!

If you really have no idea how complex a ranger can be to play, it's because you don't understand how this game is played. That being the case, you will never, ever become good at any class, and no one will ever want to group with you.

Plz enjoy your life as teh suck. kthxbye.

xoxo,
    blitz
  7. ARCHIVED-Griz Guest

Is this supposed to be a joke, or are you seriously so stupid that you have not realized that
    1) there are a lot of servers
    2) forum name is not the same as character name
    3) I SAID SEVERAL TIMES THAT I AM PLAYING A BARD
  8. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

No, it wasn't a joke, but when I'm flaming someone I like to test them, the test works like this;

I put in two parts of the flame, a part that is idle trash talk and a part about their real deficencies. Now, if they respond to the whole post equally it doesn't really tell me anything. If they pretty much ignore the idle trash talk and respond to the meat of the flame, it shows a person of intelligence, and I don't automatically discount them, but read their response and consider changing my viewpoint. However, if they respond only to the idle trash and glaze over the actual FLAME portion of the flame, I tend to immediately discount them and anything else they say.

You win the top prize! Thanks for playing.

xoxo,
    blitz
  9. ARCHIVED-Bozack Guest

Griz,

Isn't there something in the Bard forums you can be crying about? While I think everyone appreciates your candor, your stupefying, ignorant approach to intelligent discussion is mind-numbingly boring. Certainly there are elements of the Ranger class that need to be re-evaluated and re-balanced. I have experienced none of the "button-mashing monotony" that you claim is so prevalent, and clearly others have not either; if I may be blunt, the entire game is one series of button-mashing tasks after another. If that's not your bag, Half-Life 2 came out this week--the button-mashing is combined with physical aiming in that game, try it.

My damage is very comparable to the rogue in our group indoors, and if we're outdoors I offer significantly more utility. This seems to be by design; rangers were never designed to be an indoor-centric class. It sounds to me like you were expecting some kind of Ultimate Super Ninja class that simply doesn't exist, or you expected the Ranger to offer the nonstop action of a FPS game--I'm not sure. I'd also like to point out that, if EQ2 is like any other fantasy MMO that's ever existed, none of us will really know what the class's TRUE functionality is until the endgame. Having played rangers in EQ1 and DAoC and infiltrators in Planetside and DAoC, I can comfortably say that complaints about a class's "utility" or perceived lack thereof tend to be ubiquitous in the early phases of the game before most players have had an opportunity to test their mettle in large group encounters and find their niche. I suspect EQ2 will be no different.

It's been said before in this thread, but I'll reiterate: if you don't like the class, don't play it, and don't cry about it--don't complain that they didn't consult Griz's Big Book of What a Ranger Should Be before they designed their game. It's far too early to be demanding sweeping changes to a class, and frankly the only element of your post with which I agree is the assertion that we should get rapid stealth movement earlier (outdoor-only, at the very least).
  10. ARCHIVED-Bozack Guest

double post
    Message Edited by Bozack on 11-16-2004 07:33 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Bozack, I am humbled. Nice post.
  12. ARCHIVED-Griz Guest

13. ARCHIVED-Bozack Guest

14. ARCHIVED-Pale_Fire Guest

Griz, the one thing you seem to cling to is this button mashing. You don't seem to particularly interested in pointing out that other classes have this same "issue", if that's what you want to call it. Fighters have it in abundance. I repeat, go play your bard and leave this board alone.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Uh yeah... about the rangers suck thing...

I am the highest level ranger in EQ2 at the moment... and ummm...

People ALWAYS want me in their groups, I do massive damage. I can pull amazingly, and those "worthless" hate manipulators... well when a ranger pulls with one, adn the tank get's aggro, the tank keeps aggro, regardless of what everyone else tries to do.
  16. ARCHIVED-Audio Guest

/agree
    I dont' know what this guy is hung up on. If you're not playing a ranger then let it go.
  17. ARCHIVED-Jowana Guest

If you were level 40+ in Beta, may be your assessments would be more accurate? 20 something is hardly high enough to see the overall picture about a class.

If you want rangers to kickass AND an overall lack of "button-smashing" as well as "PERFECT teamwork" in parties, go try out FFXI - I am sure it'll make you cry.

If something's broken about a certain class, it's likely to be fixed - I doubt ANY MMORPG is balanced at the time of launch. Bringing up balance problems is nice, but when it turns to pissy rants it gets stupid.

Just my two cents.
    Message Edited by Jowana on 11-16-2004 08:47 PM
  18. ARCHIVED-Griz Guest

I saw you saying LFG every 10 minutes in Thundering Steppes for at least two hours
  19. ARCHIVED-pseudocide Guest

rangers have no utility? we might not be "jacks of all trades" like bards in eq1, but we can still pull, track, scout, and cast pathfinder, that is about what rangers could do in eq1(not taking into account lame druid hand-me-downs, and since eq1 snare doesnt exist in eq2)
    Message Edited by pseudocide on 11-16-2004 11:24 PM
    Message Edited by pseudocide on 11-16-2004 11:24 PM
  20. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

You did not see the groups I was rejecting either. I was after something very specific for my final armor quest, and was soloing the whole time. On top of this, most of the higher level groups now just want to make sure they stay higher level than me, as on our server most people think I am competition.