What's wrong with ranger

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Griz, Nov 9, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Arba Guest

I have noticed that cheap shoot will stun the mob! They dont attack you and they get the graphic over head but they will turn with you more thatn 50% of the time making the back attack follow up useless. I have made sure I have stopped attacking as soon as I queue up cheap shot and when I see the stun graphic go off I run through the mob and hit the special attack. Most of the time though I see the mob rotate while stunned and continue to face me so I cant use that special attack. Is this a BUG?
  2. ARCHIVED-Miligne Guest

I take it as a failed stun. Or more likely, my bleed attack or poison unfreezes them.
  3. ARCHIVED-Arduval Guest

The OP makes some good points, but I really enjoy my Ranger. Faster stealthed movement would be nice, but with Pathfinding on it's not bad at all. It would be cool if we got faster movement outdoors than other scouts.

My only concern is that archery seems a little borked to me, and almost all my future CAs are for archery. Maybe those specials will tip the scale, but I don't know. With archery, I can get off a couple of shots...an autoattack or two, a back shot (if I'm in position), a wounding shot (sometimes...have to be stationary and that mob closes awfully fast), and that's about it. Open shot takes forever to cast so I can't often use it unless I have room to do a little kiting (thank goodness for big, open and non-aggroing scarecrow fields!). Snare doesn't last very long...hopefully when I have more bow specials I'll be able to fire them off in rapid succession while moving, but so far all archery is good for is pulling a mob away from his aggroable brethren and shaving off a few hps in the process.

I HAVE been able to kite bears across the scarecrow fields pretty successfully, but it takes a lot of arrows to do so, and it's not risk-free. The snare breaks pretty quickly, and though they miss a lot, a yellow giant bear still takes a good chunk of your health with each hit. If a bear had me on the ropes in melee, snaring him and kiting him is almost sure to get me killed. Snaring and running is usually a better plan.

Just my experience so far. I still like the class, just like to see archery ramped up with crits or a special set of HOs (don't all our HOs work with melee attacks only? that seems like a fundamental flaw).
  4. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Yes, the Mob continuing to turn after the stun is a bug, if you just continue to strafe around him he will stop eventually and you can hit him with sneak attack or whatever. actually, he goes back to the way he was originally facing, and remains stunned.
  5. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Well, first I'd say you HAVE to get your weapons upgrade. Life and Death. the Willow Wood Hunting Blade is good and free, just get a cleric friend and do the quest, it should be a cakewalk at 21, seeing as how I did it at 13.
    Also, a Carbonite Kris can be purchased in SQ for 20sp.

Use those, get your skills upgraded and get some poisons. I really don't see how you're broke, but I can undersrtand how you'd be disappointed with the class if your gear is grey and your hits are low.

If I'm grouped with a tank that's my level I steal aggro every fight unless I wait for him to build up before my first shadowblade. Every single encounter.

"Shadowblade - 200-250ish
    Backshot 200ish
    Bleed, 50/tick x 5
    By this time poison usually procs, at 40/tick x 5 or 6 (usually 3 right away, 3 over the next 10 - 15 seconds)
    Impale
    a guardian writ/defiled storm lord /unearthed settler hits you for 100 points of damage"
  6. ARCHIVED-Kanluk Guest

This should help...

What level spells are you using for attacks, are they grey/green/blue/yellow/white/orange ETC.

What potency spell are you using, apprentice 1, apprentice 3, adept 1, adept 3, or mastery

What quality armor do you have? All Quested, All purchased?

What level armor do you have? Blue, Green, Grey, Yellow, White, Orange

What level mobs are you fighting? Grey, Green, Blue, White, Yellow, Orange, Red

If you are using anything Grey-Blue = Upgrade it. I personally used to have every single attack I had on 2 bars, and I would drop about 500 HP and all my mana in about 30 seconds...or less, just an estimate.

Problem with that = I kept using skills that did 20-50 damage too often and if the mob was stronger, I was SOL.

For a long time I couldn't take a hit either. This was due to my armor. I had a hard time finding quests for new armor, so I had low level gear. I eventually just bought a full set of armor for my current level, and by the time I needed new armor, I could do my Armor Quests for level 20+. Another big thing is that I can craft all my secondary equipment, IE Jewelry (for my level). I have a full set of pristine/Fashioned (whicever I feel like wearing) jewelry. Usually if I think I'm going to die, I wear the fashioned lol.

A typical attack for myself is pre-buff hunters instinct (it's an adept for me), blade furry and a poison. Use Hunt, wait for mob...

Then in this order: Shadowblade, Bleed, Impale, Pierce, Shrouded Strike, Ambush, Pierce, Impale. If by that we haven't made much progress I step back and unleash all my archer skills, Wounding Arrow, Backshot, Open Shot consequtively.

That order of attacks, I never have to pause to attack more then 1-2 seconds. When I hit 22, I'll replace Ambush with the new attack and I'm set. I always draw aggro, I usually have to be in a group with a really good tank, or a tank a couple levels above me.
  7. ARCHIVED-Arduval Guest

Are you cycling your HOs in there? A couple of Ringing Blows make all the difference in the world.
  8. ARCHIVED-Kanluk Guest

Actually this will sound newb, but I have not found where I can get app3 or higher Lucky Break (or whatever it's called) so I don't even use HO's really.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ijiamee Guest

Level 25: Escape.

Best.Spell.Ever.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kanluk Guest

Got an adept for it :D...nice to have for the future
  11. ARCHIVED-Bonedaddie Guest

"
    Thats it. They don't need rogue skills, they need ranger skills. A few changes that would make them a superb class, a class as good as any other but played based on what type of char you would want to play."

I might be bucking the system, but I think the criticism about the shared skills of ranger and rogue is really off base. I really approve of the Scout-predator line of abilities. Just because a ranger is master of the outdoor stealth does not mean that those skills become greatly reduced once indoors, and visa versa, a rogue who is a master of stealth indoors doesn't become a bumbling idiot outdoors. That is ridiculous! Nor do I think that giving a ranger some backstabbing skills is out of the question either. It makes sense that someone who can be stealthy would take advantage of "back-work", doing more damage and surprising the mob.

EQ 2 did a great job at setting up the class lines. These classes do not exist in a vacuum with each class having a totally separate existence from one another, there has to be cross over skills and having a similar base. As the class develops into higher levels, the class abilities become more defined and unique, but I think a similar base is a good concept.

I think people get attached to the concept of what they think a ranger SHOULD be without really truly exploring the character abilities themselves.
  12. ARCHIVED-Aulerdar Guest

Ok i skipped most the page somebody else may have pointed this out. Im a 24 ranger and since i dinged 20 as ranger i am NEVER out damaged by any fighter class at all (oh apart from monk and bruiser ^^' ). You must either not be very good at playing a ranger or your zerker friend has master I or adept III on all his skills =P.
    As for robin hood of course he used stealth he was a theif and he hid among the trees.