What keeps you here?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Celestia, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Quiarrah Well-Known Member

I have played my fair share of MMO's . . . from WoW to Guild Wars and watched my husband play many others. I started out like many of us in EQ1. I thoughly enjoyed it! When EQ2 came out I moved over with my guild. And I fell in love! I found that I only played those other games for the DANCING and the CLOTHING. And the Character Creation ie: HAIR . . . .
    But I always came back to EQ2 because I found that even with the older specs and all it a more well rounded game than the others. We have HOUSING. We have a far better Tradskilling. Our clothes may not be as fashionable and our hair may not be as glamorous . . . .but it's HOME and I love IT!
  2. Miauler Active Member

Community. The friendly, easy side of it anyway.
    Work carries a hefty burden of "Being Serious, being meticulous, and being very very stressed", so when I leave that for the day, and all the "must do" activities of running a real life, I have somewhere to step outside of that and enjoy the company of other people, who underneath it all, may just be slightly eccentric as well.
    And rather than just sit around twiddling thumbs and thinking of something to say, it's entirely possible to be part of a group of people actively doing something while you sit quietly and let the woes of the day slide away, but be engaged in that activity as well. It's pretty much the best of both worlds.. Actively doing a task (which is a good social bonding exercise) while being able to be quiet and engage in a little introspective daily recharge of the mental batteries.
  3. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I am not excentric,
    my sister tells me that requires lots of money,
    so I sing and dance instead,
    boingy, boingy, boingy.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

It was my kids fault I started to play video games , they dragged their mom into Wizard 101 .
    I quickly found my own games to play , the next one was Runes of magic and than Gates of Andaron .
    I never knew EQ2 even existed ( they really should have advertised more ).
    I finally ended up when my guild in GoA left the game and went over to EQ2 for only half a year till Guild wars 2 came out , but I never left here .
    I have tried "Dungeons and Dragons" on line , and " Blades and Soul " , and I play " Last Fantasy 14 " god their ads were so good , the flood of new people threatened to shut down the game .
    But for me it's EQ2 .
    Komatus, Hartsmith, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  5. Kotter Legendary Member

Permafrost music keeps me here!
  6. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

say it with me now

(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ live events! ♥
    Hartsmith, Breanna and Schmetterling like this.
  7. Celestia Well-Known Member

Right?! I never knew of the original EQ (partly because of where I lived and such) but I was lucky that I dated a guy that got me into EQ2 in college. Have made so many lifelong friends from this game. And I have noticed that - advertisement guys! I know so many people STILL that ask me, "what are you playing?" And when I tell them they say, "Never heard of it."
    Komatus, Hartsmith, Quiarrah and 2 others like this.
  8. Laaw Well-Known Member

This is the world that I know. After the army I found over the years I found that I had ptsd, as I got older I had many mini strokes. playing game has been a saving grace. playing with friends over the last 20 + years and audio books has been very helpful creating new pathways, and countering the effects of ptsd. those are the reasons I am still here. at 63, this community is a blessing thanks to all of you.
    Hartay, Ruua, Hartsmith and 4 others like this.
  9. Hissia New Member

Been playing since the days of dial up (the struggle was real, very real) and Trial of the Isle.Still here god knows how many years later, still rattling around. Tried WoW (cartoony and full of kids), tried Guild Wars (basically crap, just sort of looked good). Always come back to EQ2. Like some others, didn't know about original Everquest before signing up here.
    This is therapy. Bad day at work??? Log in and batter the hell out of things :cool:
    I love how you have your own house, decorate how you want (could do with more wall/flooring choices for the original housing btw), etc, basically have some sort of 'economy' going on, a second life!!
    My partner doesn't mind me playing either, which helps (he was a Runescape guy for a while).
    And there you have it, my first ever forum post. Only taken 17 (good grief) years, ha ha.
    Hope all had a good holiday, and best wishes for the New Year
    Hissia/Seraphfin/Zaskah/Bodigan/Nyad (still got 2 empty slots, whoooo hooooo)
    Komatus likes this.
  10. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

that's the way to go Laaw I hope you still will be playing when you're 110 years old ;):D
  11. Xillean Well-Known Member

I always come back no matter what it seems. I still love EQ and always will, I can only hope it keeps going for as long as possible. As far as why the game itself can still be fun and I love my guild.
    Geroblue likes this.
  12. chattie Well-Known Member

I'm not here much anymore :( i used to come here for fun and tradeskilling. I could do that day in and day out, but the fun just isn't there anymore. So I am away most of the time now. I'll come back every week or so do a bit of tradeskilling then leave for a week or so..I dont know why I keep my subscription lol Nostalgial I guess.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

My first attempt to play this game was around 2000. I had a 32 kilobyte video card. All I did was spin around and fall off of things. Had to wait a few years later so I could afford a better computer and much better video card.

I'm not sure about the 32 kilobyte... I know it wasn't usable. I tried beta Vanguard with it. I couldn't move, only spin.
    Breanna and Xillean like this.
  14. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

Question, do you listen to audiobooks while playing?

I listen to ambient music while running around Norrath and I get nice and relaxed.
  15. Geroblue Well-Known Member

It might have been a 32 meg card, but it wasn't helpful at all.
  16. DustyBurrito Member

Nostalgia/Aesthetic/ I dont know many other games that you can play as a Fae :)
    I usually solo and as a result lose interest but I usually come back with the intent to actually be social with my guilds/in gen chat. I have a lot of optimism for this game (as well as its predeccesor). I think the "golden age" of MMOs is behind us, but - and maybe I'm just more aware now - both games seem to still be getting a hopeful number of new players base on what I see. I definitely forsee myself sticking until the end. I basically quit WoW because I was bored with it, so I have more game time to put into EQ/EQ2.
    Hartsmith and Geroblue like this.
  17. Dusano Matron of Lore and Innovation

Love for lore,history, role-playing and the characters....each class is unique in a way you dont see such in other games too bad the devs dont have any clue of what they are doing they spent one to two years creating expansions instead of improving existing content and lore......it sucks but i still love this game and i would rather replay all the signature quests plus extras then go to WoW or Final Fantasy.....but if the devs keep f***ing everything and not fixing i will rethink my stay......
    Laaw, Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  18. Laaw Well-Known Member

yes
  19. That guy. Well-Known Member

Because I know sooner or later there will be dev replacements to go with the new owners. Hope springs eternal.
    Geroblue likes this.
  20. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Stockholm Syndrome
    That guy. and Breanna like this.