What keeps you here?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Celestia, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Mellody Member

What keeps me here is the fun! I love that there's literally tons of stuff to do, even if you're not a top tier raider. Personally I love the home decorating and crafting part of the game, plus I also enjoy trying to keep up with the top dungeons (solo). I can also just spend hours working on quests or collecting shinies. Then there are my alts... :) I feel like I never run out of fun things to do in this game.
    Sturmlocke, Hartsmith and Breanna like this.
  2. Aryel All Access Member: Yes

For one thing I don't have a single toon beyond level 60. I played the beta and played this game at launch and stayed a few months then left. In 2015 I played on the TLE server Stormhold. I left when I hit level 50. Over the years I have not found any game to match Everquest 2 so I came back in March.

I have been playing very slowly , each zone, every quest , every collection and I intend to do that over may be 10 alts. I doubt I will get to the end game any time soon hell even level 95 even and so I have only the wonderful world of the original game and its expansions. The great dungeons and lore and I believe there is no other game in my opinion that is as rich and no other game in the future will have companies spending the money or effort making it. These types of games take too much resources and nowadays it is far easier to make games like Fortnight at a fraction of the costs and make money so why bother.

I also happen to love decorating and the housing.

So I am playing a game that is the last of its kind and I hope to be here when they turn the lights out.
    Mellody, Breanna, Sturmlocke and 3 others like this.
  3. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

EQ2's dungeon design is definitely still one of the best. A lot of modern MMOs have pretty dungeons, don't get me wrong, but they're just that -- pretty. There's very little actual exploration to them despite looking nice, and all the actual combat and movement is isolated to corridors as you move from boss to boss. FF14 and ESO in particular are pretty good examples of this.

While FF14 scratches my itch more for actual story and narrative coherence, I always end up back here as well due to the dungeon design and differences in class gameplay.
    Breanna, Sturmlocke and Hartsmith like this.
  4. Komatus Well-Known Member

I am here to keep a guild up and running along with I do enjoy:) the diversity in the game play. I don't raid anymore...too much stress (have gotten old and stress is a killer:eek:) plus too much in the way of convoluted raider level game mechanics. And the constant grinding for one reason or another...:( The players in general do seem to be very nice people...including myself of course! lol! :D

----Komatus----
    Schmetterling and Hartsmith like this.
  5. Lidahn Lady of Light And Crystalline Hydromancer

The game is good but there are some issue...all games have but not fixing or ignoring those drives players to leave or unsub....obssessive works on expansion content is not good....the devs need to split their time in half in order to make other content for month i'm kinda tired of waiting months for events i love the seasonal events but they only get 1 or 2 new quest each year the same goes for items that sucks
  6. Lidahn Lady of Light And Crystalline Hydromancer

People should be learning from other games mistakes not repeating them....just look at warcraft.....it took years but finally they are going down for multiple reasons.....Everquest was the pillar of MMORPGs it was overshadowed by modern games but it will be forever the True Pillar
    Komatus likes this.
  7. jhall124 New Member

I've played WoW (my first MMO), ESO, FFXIV and SWTOR. I've learned that EQ2 remained strong with the players that are loyal to the game which cannot be found in other MMO's, IMO.

I'm in a good guild that is very helpful which encourages me to give back. This is something else I could not find in other MMO's. The video and sound are not top notch but I've learned to overlook that and concentrate on gameplay.

What can I say... I'm hooked!! :)
    Hartsmith, Sturmlocke and Komatus like this.
  8. Twyla Well-Known Member

I became hooked over 12 years ago. I never liked to craft in other MMO's, but became addicted to it here. It had the best crafting system I'd seen. Interactive, you have to pay attention while doing it. What you made was actually USFUL mastercrafted gear was better than the drops. In other MMO's I would grab the book I was reading while doing the crafting I had to do just so I would be awake when it was done then destroy it because it was worthless. The customer service was great, contact them and they would resolve the issue right away or tell you what you needed to do. The story lines are interesting, and having different characters of different races using different adventure classes has allowed me to see the whole story. Things were usually consistent, for example crafting writs no matter the tradeskill class you used the same amount of materials and fuels and got the same status and coin return. Then PoP was released. IMHO the best expac so far. It was beautiful, you could get from one place to another without being constantly attacked (nice for us forgetful types, who lose track of where we are supposed to go if we're interrupted too many times), it was challenging without being stupid hard and enjoyable both in a group or solo, plus - for me anyway - it is repeatable without being too tedious.

All that being said there are annoyances. When we lost our dedicated crafting dev things went wonky. Suddenly you couldn't go down a level on writs if you couldn't harvest the mats yet. Then they shut them off at level 110, as soon as you reached level 111 you had to do 120 stuff or no writs for you. Now at level 120 some of my crafters, armorer and tailor (still checking the remaining 2) don't get the fuel returns from AA's that everyone else does and my cook while getting returns still uses more fuel than the others. They took away the guild status for them (I guess I understand the logic in that) making it danged hard for small guilds to get any levels. Customer service became self-serve and now is a popularity contest on the forums, if you don't get any likes your issue is never resolved. I submitted the same bug report 6 times and it was deleted 6 times because of lack of likes. CD literally had me at my keyboard in tears, it was so stupid hard it bordered on the absurd. So now the consistency is what are they taking away now? First went maps, level 60 or so armor and weapons were better from drops, guild status from writs - and now from adventuring as well after level 200, and now no flying - as I said above I like getting from point A to point B without constant attacks (being level 120 I see no point to them since I don't need any XP), then when I'm done rushing through the sig line so I can fly again I enjoy all the overland stuff.

So why am I still here? Because in spite of all the annoyances it's still fun and I've noticed over the years they go in cycles. Right now we are in raiders rule and are the only players we care about so everything must be stupid hard and require several players to do at all. BoL was a relief since it was slightly easier than CD and RoS was better than BoL. This shows the cycle continues and we are slowly going to back to challenging without being stupid hard. There is hope. The friends I've made here, the story lines, and amazing artwork keep me coming back every day.
    Breanna, Schmetterling and Geroblue like this.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Well my son made me play ' Final Fantasy ' , his favorite game and they have festival year around .
    You complain we only get one or two new quests , we get new items , sometimes new mounts or nice looking gear ,
    we get recipe books and items to decorate with .
    Almost all the old quests come back year after year and the new ones , I can't do all quests on all my toons , there are that many .
    On FF all they get is one to maybe 4 new quests , but they seldom return the next year , and o my the stories are so dumb,
    it hurts .
    there are special events where you earn coins to buy mounts and housing items , but that changes every year too .
    So don't complain about our events and festivals being limited , fun things that people like come around every year , and that is good , like the bouncy event in SS , and the stories for the quests are not so stupid that a 5 year old would love it .
    I don't play WoW ever since that game failed for me 10 years ago , so I don't know about their events .

Another good game for events is Runes of Magic ( not Rune Scape ) the festival events come back every year and for the last 6 years or so new quests were added to those events.
    In this case you can earn market place items you need every day and items for their houses .
    Some of the furniture gives you buffs , so it is always nice to get one of those .
    They also have chests you can store anything you want inside , but people really need those in that game .

We are so spoiled with how much storage we have , there are at least 3 games I played and I still like , but it seams like one of my biggest reasons for playing EQ2 is how much storage we have and how big our houses are .
    Geroblue, Breanna and Hartsmith like this.
  10. Morukta The ORIGINAL Micro-Gnome

What keeps me here? Hmmmm

1> I was looking at WoW and EQ2 when they were both 'Coming Soon!". I chose EQ2 because I seriously disliked the toddler-level style of the anime graphics in Wow (oversized proportions, garish colors clashing everywhere, etc). As an old skool AD&D player, I found the style, graphics and design of EQ2 very appealing. It was my first, and remains the only MMORPG I have ever played (and will probably remain so).

2> I never got onto the raiding curve. I did plenty of adventuring, mostly in guild groups, etc. and even did participate in a few raids (the spire rebuilding dragons was one of the last I ever did). But I fell by the wayside pretty early as I just couldn't see focusing on doing the same thing everyone else was doing just to get the same gear & upgrades everyone else had, just to continue being sucked into that black hole cycle of rinse, repeat-rinse, repeat. Talk about boring. Thankfully, there's more to EQ2 than just raiding endlessly for all the same things everyone else has or drools over.

3> I started out determined to have a max level of every crafting class from the day I started playing. Mostly I wanted to be self-sufficient for gear & spell upgrades, but also so I could help out friends, guildmates & anyone with the coin to pay for my services. Despite the decimation of the in-game economy and then being threatened by SOE with a permanent ban after GU24 changes to crafting (I sent them screenshots proving them wrong about a change made), I stuck with it. Over time, I've fallen very far away from even solo adventuring & when I do still play, I mostly just craft & try to rekindle my love of house decorating.

Bottom line, why am I still here? Primarily, fantasy game addiction.
    Secondly, the community - it's not as vibrant & varied as it used to be, but in today's polarized world who's surprised by that?
    Lastly, I'm SERIOUSLY HOPING the new owners will FINALLY do this game justice - fixing bugs that have been around for actual years, dumping the over-inflated (can you say '****'?) stats, and what often seems to be a singular fixation on hardcore raiding and every content update making EVERYTHING that came before utterly obsolete. However, I'm a realist so I'm sure not gonna hold my breath...:eek:

I do think now & then about subbing once again, or even buying the latest expac instead of just making do with what is available for F2P folks, but then they do what they always do - nothing that's good for me. So, I'll keep playing for free until I have solid, valid reason to put real world money into their pockets or they close the servers. Sadly, I see the latter happening before the former. :(
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Araleth New Member

I've sunk way too much money into this game to give up. I started in April 99 with EQ and moved to this game as soon as it was released (and I still play around on EQ now and then). Have put too much time into it to walk away. The housing, lore, shinies, etc. are main factors (I'm a completionist.). Have at least 30 or so characters over multiple accounts. I've taken a hiatus now and then, but always come back (and I've kept my subs the entire time.. no idea how much I've paid for multiple account subs since this came out in like 2004 or whatever (not to mention the DB cash purchases and stuff, buying the collector edition expansions x4 each time, etc.), but it's a crapload of money.)

I do bounce between this game and LOTRO (for the lore as well), but I probably won't ever stop playing until they pull the plug. Yes, I have no life. :)
    Mellody, Breanna and Hartsmith like this.
  12. Celestia Well-Known Member

Same! I'm a big Tolkien fan, so I have played that for that reason pretty much, but EQ2 has become my life, literally. I am disabled and cannot work, and so I spend time between art, music and gaming. EQ2 takes up a lot of that time. I really have no life either.

:D
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I'm retired and I have no life. But I can go car camping. Drive to the camp site, put up a tent, move gear inside the tent. Walking distance, about 20 to 40 feet.
    Breanna and Sigrdrifa like this.
  14. Celestia Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful answers, I enjoyed reading every one :) No matter what, I am so glad this game is still going!
    Breanna, Geroblue and Hartsmith like this.
  15. Pink Poodle Maid of the Evening Storm

Because I like the world and the lore and aesthetics but wish we had more people.
    Breanna and Geroblue like this.
  16. Elskidorr Active Member

When I get bored of Everquest I somehow return to EQ2 for a season or two hoping things might have gotten better.
  17. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

It's the free donuts.
    Breanna, Hartsmith and Geroblue like this.
  18. Ixian Active Member

Are they gonna ship them to you when you move?
    ttobey and Geroblue like this.
  19. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I was in EQ yesterday and this morning. Same interface... took me a bit to re-oorinate myself, but it was interesting. With my better video card, I could see the shrubbery, etc. that wasn't visible before when I had a computer with a video chip on the motherboard.

Couldn't drag items from backpack, or deluxe toolbox, over to my character's bank. I miss that.

So I doubt I'll play much over there. Real money for mounts. Nah.
    Breanna likes this.
  20. Dailyn New Member

What are OSer quests?

Qmeri
    Ruthless Endeavor
    MajDul Server