What keeps you here?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Celestia, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

overseer
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

Those are only at the A A meetings :)
    Komatus, Soara2, Geroblue and 2 others like this.
  3. Dockter Well-Known Member

It was the experience and fun, however, I was recently hit with a ToS warning because I asked for an updated to a "Confirmed" bug report.. That really soured the experience.
    Schmetterling, Soara2 and Geroblue like this.
  4. Sleppen Active Member

I did my time as a raider back in EQ1. It was fun overall, but I don't want to do it any more. I've piddled around with EQ2 since beta, but I've finally started working through the content over the past two years. There is a lot of good content for not-quite-casual players like me. I haven't run out of fresh content yet. I have to say that I've been underwhelmed by the Luclin expansions and that this is dampening my enthusiasm for the game. The graphics are pretty, but the content hasn't been as interesting as prior expansions. YMMV.
    Soara2 and Geroblue like this.
  5. Darktanian New Member

My story is pretty much like everyone else's. I bought the game when it was released because I was a huge EQ1 fan. Loved it but WoW was released a month later so I fiddled around with both for years. WoW I felt was cartoony and a little silly. If it wasn't for the amazing controls and interface I would have quickly abandoned it. EQ2 though seemed like it was designed for the more mature gamer and that appealed to me tremendously. Out of all the MMO's out there I've returned to EQ2 the most after a hiatus.

Why do I return so often? Firstly because it seems like home to me. I still love to wander Neriak and soak in the sights .... relish the memories. Secondly because EQ2 has been so well polished through the years. They've made it so user friendly that there's little to complain about.
    Schmetterling, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  6. Karla New Member

I like that graphics and its look like the old school style, But I am newbie here so let see if I will be stay here for long. :)
  7. Grandavi Active Member

All the Female NPC's are well endowed. No idea why... but there you have it.

Honestly, starting out in 2007, the game offered a very large area to run in and a LOT of really good people to stand beside.

The housing gives you a bit of creative flair exercise... the guild halls continue that and add in a nice touch of "belonging". The game itself allows you to play at your own pace and use your own style. You can focus on the physics of the game or you can enjoy the aspect of being around other people with a similar mindset. Strategize or just socialize... its all up to you.

I have been in other MMPORG's and I have found that they are focused mostly on a "run-through" attitude and try to get you to "buy" upgrades over everything else. To me... that is just empty and senseless. There are a lot of people who run through EQ2 and just try for levels/growth and ignore the entire rich background that was initially built. After all these years, I still find the world amazingly done, both visually and audibly. The lore is intensely well based and if that isn't your focus... then fine! The game allows you to just ignore it and carry on. After over 12 years of playing, I only occasionally get bored by the necessary grind.

My sole complaint for the game is that so much of the content has been retired so quickly. VoV is about to launch and basically overrides the entire Shadow prospecting the same as RoS did away with infusions... It would be nice if there was a way to actually introduce a feature that would be able to grow with the next transformation of the game, rather than making everything below max level 100% useless. At least with VoV, it appears trade skills are being made useful again. It has been all but totally useless since I came back. (I am guessing that from Kunark to BoL... crafting was converted to a "levelling" occupation as opposed to a useful ability.

After beta'ing VoV, though, I have to say... creativity is still alive in the game.. and that alone will help keep it going.
    Breanna, tasnee and Komatus like this.
  8. Celestia Well-Known Member

I absolutely ADORE the lore of this game. I know, EQ came first and its based off that, but there's so much more story to explore here too! And I agree, the population and game design make it worth coming back to.
    Komatus and Breanna like this.
  9. Aethos Well-Known Member

More than anything, the setting of Norrath itself and the feel of the world. Granted I took a 9 year break. But during that break I occasionally played EQ1-emu (and still do). Note: If EQLive - meaning not TLP - gave us access to classic, un-revamped versions of zones to play and quest in, I would play EQlive and not EQ1 emu. I dislike every revamp I've seen. Not because I hate better graphics, but I hate that they always shrink the zone, and I prefer the world to feel massive. I like that running across Ro on foot took about 15-20 minutes back in the day before mounts. I hate that nowadays it can be done in like 3 minutes with no mounts

I just love the setting and lore. It's kinda part of me I guess.

I also like the way eq2 does monks/brawlers. Most MMORPGs that have them (which is already a short list) don't really do them in a way I like. FFXIV is particularly bad, though I like and play that game, I hate monks in it. Neverending positional dancing behind a mob and kicking and punching it in the back of the head is not what I think of when I think of a monk.
    Ayodi likes this.
  10. Celestia Well-Known Member

LOL Monk and Dragoon, and all the tanks are the ones I didn't bother with. Don't like any of those classes in that game. I love my monk in eq2.
    Aethos and Hartsmith like this.
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I have been playing EQ2 for 10 years now and I still find hidden quests now .
    I always loved that if you poked your nose into every corner and explored all those hills and caves you could find interesting
    places or nice little side quests .
    People miss half the fun if they simply stick with the same old , same old .
    And there is no other game that has housing like EQ2 , I hope that if there is ever an EQ3 that this tradition is going to be carried on .
    Spindle, Geroblue, Komatus and 3 others like this.
  12. NyteRose Member

I've been playing EQ2 on and off for 12 years. I love crafting, questing, and exploring. Harvesting is a great way to relax (so is beating up gnolls or kobolds.) I love the fae and ratonga ( and wood/dark elves and frogloks.) I love talking to my guild and helping out new players when/where I can. Heck, I'm even getting into decorating a bit.

The point is, each player has their own reason(s) for loving the game and coming back. Some enjoy end-game raiding and/or advanced heroics and solo content. Some want to craft or decorate. Others want to do casual group content in a guild setting or PUGs. There's no blanket answer to fit every player. :)
    Geroblue, Schmetterling and Spindle like this.
  13. Celestia Well-Known Member

Yep, it’s why I made the thread, I like hearing everyone’s answers. Because it’s such a broad game (imo). Been great reading this thread.
    Breanna, Geroblue and NyteRose like this.
  14. GizziFurrfoot Member

It's the folks who play - so many of whom have become "pixel friends" - folks who come online to escape RL for a bit and help each other accomplish goals

When I started playing EQ1 I said "oh my! a chat room with a purpose!" When we get together to "kill all da tings" and laugh at each others' blunders but still get the mobs dead - that is truly enjoyable for me

The variety of classes and how they are all needed to accomplish goals - it is great fun! Looking forward to VoV and making new friends while I am there
    Ayodi likes this.
  15. Jalathan Active Member

These days, only a handful of people and they seem to be dropping faster than I care to imagine :(
  16. Celestia Well-Known Member

Well, after today, I can't totally blame them. Just saying.
  17. Arclite Well-Known Member

Friends that i have made over the last 17 years and raiding with them. These are the only two reasons i continue to play. There is nothing else in the game that remotely excites me. They have ruined pretty much every element of the game since DPG acquisition and feel entitled somehow that they have loyal customers who would pay anything to keep on playing. That is true of course since im one of them but the sheer audacity and shamelessness on display here makes me wonder why people continue to work like this and the only reasonable excuse i can come up is that they have mouths to feed just like everybody else.
    Priority likes this.
  18. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

I raided "hard core" in BoL and spent waaaaaay too much RL $. Never again. I'm retired when it comes to that stuff. As for why i play now, I like to go back and get old achievements and raid the old content with friends.

As for people complaining about the game in it's current state? That's the raiders that do current end game. The complaining from them will always be there no matter what the company does, it's just something they do if they don't get what they want. and noooo I'm not saying it's all raiders by any means. But hey, they still spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars each to get the best gear and buffs money can buy. So remember that when non-raiders complain that the game is focused on raiders that spend the big $. They keep it going for all us casuals.
  19. Riverbear Active Member

We all have the chance to meet and work with excellent folk from around the world.
    The deep content & tradition of shared experiences wrap players in that very rich sense of home written about earlier.
    House zones rock.
    MANY excellent decorators on each server I've looked at..
    I build ships, really big ones, and I love it when other players relate the favorable reaction they have when visiting.
    We all adventure, explore, battle & loot. Add - stunning other players with the well executed house zones so many deco's build!
    EQ2 flat-out provides an environment to make other people happy.
    q.e.d.
    GizziFurrfoot, Ayodi and Geroblue like this.
  20. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

:rolleyes:
    ConcealFate and Priority like this.