Warlock - the worst AoE class in EQ2!

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Nynaeve, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Azian Well-Known Member

Avahlynn was specifically replying to Puub. That forum account shows as being created today and has exactly one post as of now. I'm still trying to decide if Puub was serious or just trolling/sarcastic. I'm leaning towards sarcastic given the last sentence being so out of place otherwise.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  2. Mae- Well-Known Member

Hah... thus why "work" was in quotes ;)
  3. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

What's with the hate regarding linked encounters? I think that is one of the best ideas EQ2 ever had. It allows the devs to design a group of MOBs that have to be fought together, thereby adding tactical depth. The lack of encounter linking is, in my opinion, one of the biggest flaws in the Dungeon Maker system. Personally, I don't relish the idea of going back to the old EQ1 days of, "every individual MOB has to be a challenge for an entire group, since the players will find some cheap way to split them, somehow". Without linking, you'd also run into lame, cheeseball tactics like repeatedly wiping after killing just one add until all that remains is the boss by itself. No thank you.
  4. Tigerr Well-Known Member

This the same person who has no grasp whatsoever on ANY game mechanics?. Did you really say there aren't any but you?. Sorry but, based on the "gimmegimme" crap i've seen spewed by your name, I feel my alt warlock could compete. Can't make a thread about a mechanic you aren't sure about and then claim you are the best......cause I can promise you, that you are not.
  5. Treiko Active Member

I can't believe this thread is still alive... but all it takes is one idiotic supporter to refuel the flame I guess... trolls get all the attention don't they. While we are at it, I want my necro pet to be a total badass - it should do all the work, I am the master, it is the slave.
  6. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Oh idea! You should demand that and group member you Rez has to be your pet.
    Like forever!

Think of the power! It would totally be more immersive and nerco-ie.
  7. Nynaeve Active Member

Encounters are even more a problem in open world and contested dungeons.
    On of the most fun things in other MMOs was - playing as a scout or crowd controller - to sneak around places and dungeons, watching the movement of the guards to the point where you could break them apart and continue on, either break them by mezzing one or two, or assassinating one who stepped a bit too far away from the rest - these tactics also are prevented by big linked encounters, and what you wrote is completely wrong - encounters don't add any tactical depth, they are created by designers to make THEIR lives easier, and take away a lot of fun and individual strategies of the players.
  8. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

You can still make use of crowd control effects and assassination tactics in a game with linked encounters. There are plenty of individual, unlinked MOBs in EQ2 content, and crowd control works perfectly fine (even if most groups prefer mass AoE carnage over using them). However, you could not design complex encounters like Gynok in TotMC or Godking Anuk without encounter technology.
    Avahlynn and Malleria like this.
  9. SOE-MOD-04 Active Member

Hi guys,

Due to some of the negative back and forth going on, the thread has had its most recent replies cleaned up a little. From this point forward, if you do have any relevant feedback or commentary, please make sure it adheres to our Forum Guidelines; especially the parts about being respectful, courteous and contributing in a constructive manner.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
  10. Azian Well-Known Member

Ah, well ty SOE-MOD-04.

Anyway, going back to the original premise of the thread I just don't see the greens being changed to blues. Locks would be grossly OP in that case. Furthermore, we already can change the greens into something....single target for 30% more damage. The likelihood of them deciding that warlocks are so underpowered on AE encounters that they'll change our greens to blues seems basically inconceivable to me.
  11. Mystere Member

But remember Azian, it was never about the DPS! It was about moar "immersion", moar "fun". Further overpowering an already overpowered class, I'm sure that NEVER entered the OP's mind. Never. I have no doubt that in her mind locks are somehow surreally underpowered this expac. BUT, changing all those greens to blues would NOT impact DPS at all. Remember: "I didn't say Warlocks suck in dps, or that my fix will make them any more powerful." OP understands game mechanics all too well, it seems..... o_O
  12. Swanga Member

LOL give necro's more AOE damage. You're crazy making these statements. If you want more blue's go Wizard.
  13. Nynaeve Active Member

I don't know any other game that uses linked-encounter-spells, maybe there is, but it is a failed concept, and it will die out with EQ2.
  14. Zelox Active Member

if all my greens turned into blues from the target i cast it on, not only would i be gaining increments at a stupidly fast rate... i would be completely destroying the next on the parse by 2 or more times on aoe stuff... would be nice if our debuff was aoe based though for like heroic stuff
  15. Cleaner Active Member

Overpowered warlocks wow someone is really smoking crack. that 26m parse is a fluk for sure. I have seen top end warlocks they do great damage and do close to what they SHOULD be doing. Warlocks and wizards are SUPOSED TO BE doing way more dps than any other class if you don't agree with that then you need to pack up and go back to playing First person shooters. ALL MMO"S mages DO MASSIVE damage its the counter Balance for being so squishy. A Wizard ...or warlock in this case should NEVER be out parsed if they are its because they are afk. Anyone who Claims they are OP is a Scout Junky that caused the FOREVER down cycling of the dps tiers for the past 3 expansions. At MOST an average Warlock in a heroic group with same geared Potent gear on will parse in the top 3 with scouts on single target and will pull ahead a LITTLE not by much on AOE's. Your trying to compare someone is extremely geared against the MASS majority that is not.
    Average Geared Players are not going to put up those crazy numbers you claim exist.
    Just another dps competitor praying the Sorcerers get screwed again.
  16. alQamar Active Member

You have no idea what you are talking about.
  17. Zelox Active Member

worst aoe class in the game
    [IMG]
  18. Buffrat Well-Known Member

Warlocks are like the new Beastlord, except half of their mechanics aren't broken.
  19. herem Member

a question, if you will zelox. is the change to Focused Casting the only change that came along with this xpac to really help the warlocks? did they have eternal damnation, the prestige things, pets proccing before? are there more linked encounters and more aoe mobs? are the clickies, proc gear, and higher stats helping warlocks make the jump from red-headed step child of the mages to topping parses again?
  20. Buffrat Well-Known Member

FC is the only thing they got this xpac, and it's ridiculous. There are more linked encounters.