Warlock - the worst AoE class in EQ2!

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Nynaeve, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Iseous Active Member

That would be nice if greens hit the target and surrounding targets, not just linked encounters. It seems strange that they wouldn't.
  2. Nynaeve Active Member

if you indeed cast 8 AoEs as a Warlock, you must be a very bad one cause there isn't that many worth to cast.
  3. Arieste Well-Known Member

Awww.. so now you're selective? I thought this wasn't about DPS, i thought it was about "just having" more AoEs and "feeling warlocky"?

When I cast my 8 AoEs and parse near the top on bunches of unlinked mobs/enconters, I feel very warlocky. If that makes me a bad warlock, I'm ok with it. Unlike you, I make no claims to being the best warlock in the game, it's just a fun alt.

Also, why the heck would you post an Armatal parse for this discussion, it's a single target encounter? (well there is an add most ignore, but fact is, none of this thread is at all relevant to that encounter, nor it to the thread. Also, the parse you posted doesn't tell us anything about your spell selection in the first place).

Oh and hey, i'm always looking to improve, since you're the best warlock out there, which of the 8 AoE i listed would you consider as "not worth casting" on unlinked encounters? (let's say 6-8 mobs just for sake of argument).
    Avahlynn likes this.
  4. Nynaeve Active Member

sorry, but that's what I get to hear all the time in the forum, so I'm sorry to fall into that trap and to say you're bad. It's ridiculous actually that people always use the blame game and imply that somebody "doesn't know his class":eek:

but about your 8 AoEs - Warlocks basically only have 1 AoE spell - Cataclysm, you can barely count Rift, because it has such a long reuse time and doesn't do much, then there's Concussive blast - but only useful to lower your hate. If you spec right prestige you get Caustic Detonation, but the right prestige sucks for almost all instances where you need more single target damage because the 180 ticks take a crapload of time to recharge when you're not surrounded by mobs.

so in effect - Locks have 1 frikkin AoE spell
  5. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Blast of Devastation? Rift? Cataclysm?
    + 4 or more Linked encounter spells.

If you want to faceroll AoE spells why not just play a swash?

Warlocks are in a very good place at the moment, I'd keep quiet and hope its not noticed.
    Le Clown likes this.
  6. Azian Well-Known Member

That's just hyperbole. Also fwiw, right side is uber. Yes, caustic detonation recharges more slowly on singles but it's astonishing how fast you can get to 180 when faced with exactly the type of encounter you are currently complaining about. Depending upon the encounter it can easily happen multiple times during the same fight. While not all of the spells listed by Arieste are technically "blue AEs" they DO hit multiple encounters so accomplish the same thing.
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

hmm, no. I am wondering if you play a warlock at all. right side prestige will give you insta cast rift. and right side prestige is amazing spec, if fact I don't know anyone that uses left side o_O

bad group dps, bad warlock dps.
    it's odd that I could log in my illy and parse higher than the highest parser in that group
    it's probably because your AA spec is probably way off from a decent one
  8. razmataz New Member

Honestly I am happy with warlock DPS on single target but I am HUGELY disapointed in the AOE DPS. If you guys are beating everyone in raid in AOE then you have some crappy wizards in there. Wizards are blowing me away. In fact in some of the trash fights in djinn master the wizard (in my group) Is topping out over 10 mil DPS where i am sitting around 7 mil.

I have the exact opposite problem as some of you. As long as the mobs are LINKED I can blow everyone away. How you guys cant just astounds me. When there are a mess of mobs and we only have 2 blue AOE's, one being on a 90 second reuse, we really don't stand a chance.

I dont see it changing either when the wizard blows his load of stacks and hits for 22 million plus in one shot.
  9. Mae- Well-Known Member

If you are losing to NECROS on AE fights, then you are NOT one of the best warlocks out there. Period.
    Foretold and Treiko like this.
  10. Cisteros Active Member

So you came out from whatever bridge you've been hiding under to create a Troll thread with the thought that if you post a ridiculous idea and are corrected by 99% of the people that actually know a thing about this game that the Devs will be Jedi Mind Tricked into making the ridiculous change you asked for? Thanks for the laughs
    Foretold and Avahlynn like this.
  11. Cleaner Active Member

I you think warlocks have the best dps class in the game you obviously have not grouped with ANYONE who knows how to play the other classes. This Being very circumstantial, and with this xpac good players left bad players WAY behind. SOE has somewhat been separating the men from the boys. But on another note. this is the situation I see with what Nynaeve said here and I somewhat agree with.
    My warlock can push 1.8-2.5 mil on single targets right side negative void running. On AOE fights I have been keeping Negative Void up because without the 30% push my dps falls way behind. So with AOE fights im topping out around 4-5 MIL Dps. average fallout as mobs die is about 1.5 mil dropping my parse rapidly.
    NOw Numbers like that are very sweet and That may sound REALLY good DPS for average Players, But its not about the numbers but where you fall in with the other classes
    So in short why i think warlocks fall short.
    .....real Quik....I Fall 4th on parse. Ranger does 6-7mil, Zerker does 5-6Mil,Assassin Does 4-5MIL Sometimes the SK will Jump ahead and the Conjy and wizy fight me for the #4 slot and is usually where the mage will fall in.
    Because We all know Sony hates mages (Sarcasm) and will not give any real fixes only quik bandaid Fixes like a universal dragon tree.
    and this expansion its all about gear and proc's, Procs alone can bring in large numbers, Problem is Dps Classes get Death By Dmg reward Procs, where there is no penalty on the Tank Dmg proc items instead they get Benificial Hate gains and Mit increases. With Procs Alone and auto attack put up really high numbers and a berserker can engage and go afk and still make very high dmg.
    I do agree with the idea of Converting the Dark Greens to AOE's But like I have said many Many times they Need to be LIGHT green Target Based AOES that are still Negative Void compatible.
    For you that say this would Make Warlocks OP ....No it just puts them back where they SHOULD BE ...ADD KILLERS> This is the original Class roll of the warlock that they have lost.
    So what if they are doubling everyone's parse on aoe fights it is only temporary till the adds are dead and besides....that's there freakin job there ONLY job. we still fall behind on single target Mobs and everyone else will more than likely dominate that mechanic. but like I said we ARE THE ADD KILLERS. If you think anything other than that you need to go play another class.
    Point is I agree completely with the conversion process. It does make sense to eliminate a very outdated mechanic that is no longer used.

oh my swashy just pulled 4mil :) not even in potent gear yet.
  12. Ucala Well-Known Member

warlocks are the best dps atm. it doesn't matter about the other classes.
    you can't really tell from low guilds, so you want to go to the top tier guilds to look at how classes compare to other classes. warlocks are the top for this expac.
    also this expac is very close for "good and bad" players since alot of dps is procs now
    what you are saying is you fall behind on dps over a zerker...a zerker? :p lulz
    Mae- likes this.
  13. Arieste Well-Known Member

So you're looking for green AEs to become blue AEs so that you have more blue AEs to cast vs single targets?

You said you didn't have enough AoEs for situations when you're surround by unlinked mobs. For those situations, right-side prestige gives you 2 more in addition to the 6 your already have AND it makes one of those 6 (Rift) much more viable.

Uhm. No. Did you even look at the 26m parse i posted on the previous page? It's almost all AoEs. And only one in the top is a green one (apocalypse). (More stolen parses follow, i assume the people who post them on flames don't mind them being looked at!)

Here is another parse posted since then, 4 out of top 6 are AoEs, plus Acid Storm and Blast farther down on the list. That's already 6.

[IMG]

Here is another... top 4 spells are AoEs and then you have Concussive, Cataclysm and Acid Storm lower down.

[IMG]
  14. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Oh to be a fly on the wall when and if the devs ever read about their "decision making criteria"....
  15. Ucala Well-Known Member

guys, a warlock lost a parse in a 10s AOE fight to a guardian, clearly warlock dps needs a boost
    Treiko likes this.
  16. Mystere Member

Clearly the OP getting roflstomped by a multitude of people isn't even getting anywhere close to making her understand that Mogrim's Hard Mode tears have resulted in an overpowered warlock class that all the decent to good warlocks in game are right this minute hoping doesn't get noticed by the devs anytime soon. Warlocks = worst AOE class in EQ2??? WTF is this person even smoking LOL
  17. Aniathor Member

This has got to be the dumbest thread I've ever seen on this forum.
  18. Nynaeve Active Member

I'll say it one last time for those who clearly don't even understand the point here.
    IT'S NOT ABOUT DPS!
    I only want the class to play more immersive, I don't like selecting linked-encounters, so I want the green spells to be turned into blues, so I can just cast them on a mob in front and know it will hit some others as well.
    If the Devs would change it, it would not change the top-end dps much, but make the class more fun to play.

I'm pretty sure there wont be any linked-encounters in EQ Next, at least I hope not, because they are an abomination.
  19. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I want rangers to fire flaming kittens at mobs rather than arrows because it'd make my play more interesting. Its not about the dps, its about the flying on fire kittens.
    Le Clown, Arieste and Foretold like this.
  20. Arieste Well-Known Member

Ok, so it's not about the DPS and it's about having more AoE for non-linked encounters. Yet when developers give you AoEs that hit non-linked encounters, you don't want to spec for them (like most other warlocks have).

I'm gonna spell it out for you also: for non-linked encounters, use those 8 AoEs warlocks DO HAVE that hit non-linked encounters.

It's fun, it's immersive AND the dps result is pretty damn good. (i know you don't care about DPS, but still, it's good!).