Warlock - the worst AoE class in EQ2!

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Nynaeve, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

And that seems to be your go to line when anyone actually has the audacity to demand that you put up more than a wailing opinion about how this class is not getting enough luv. I guess I lucked out, you were only condescending to me, the prior poster got a flat out rude reply from you.

Reality check, this is a peer review.

That means more than a meandering opinion and insults are needed to *convince* your peers.
  2. Nynaeve Active Member

I don't need to convince players about anything.
  3. Louly Well-Known Member

Well Well if it isn't Nynaeve. I haven't had to grit my teeth in a long time. :p but now lol

I have two warlocks I think they are just fine
  4. Nynaeve Active Member

yeah, warlocks are a fine class for dps.
    this isn't really about dps at all here, it's about making the class more fun and intuitive to play.
    instead of selecting a stupid artificial construct like a "linked encounter" you deal your damage by casting a spell on a target and hitting up to the pre-defined maximum number (usually 5-8) around it in a certain radius, or some variation of it...
    2004 was a bad year for SOE gamedesigners. they made a lot of wrong choices unfortunately.
  5. Arieste Well-Known Member

Yet you're the only one for whom AoEs are worse than those of every other class.

Maybe you should ask yourself how it is that all the Warlocks that aren't better than you still manage do better than you on AoEs. At the very least you should be curious i think.
  6. Sylke Well-Known Member

But I thought that was the entire point of this post? To convince us that Warlocks are bad at AoE?

Your opinion on the matter is not enough to prove this point. Either post numbers and facts, or accept that maybe you still have some things to learn about the class. Or continue to fall back on your go-to response of "you don't understand what I'm saying." Whatever works for you, I suppose.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  7. Kalika Well-Known Member

I don't think that my necro ia any good with AOE, Mae adviced me to throw dot on all target but this won't be great. It certainly our best way do deal aoe damage, but it's tedious and it will never be great.
    I have one green aoe (which is not amy good), pet have some, swarm pet can do decent damage too,
    and i have one AA (from conjurer tree).

I'm quite sure than a warlock does better.
  8. Ucala Well-Known Member

the post was about warlocks not having alot of Blues, which they don't, it's true. but to imply not alot of blues = bad AoE dps is crazy talk.
  9. Arieste Well-Known Member

Well, help educate me. How many blue AEs is considered "a lot"? I don't play any other DPS classes, but my warlock has at least 7 blue AEs, of which the main one is on a 4 sec recast. How many do others have? I know my coercer has 1, defiler has 2, channeler has like 5 i think.
  10. Le Clown Active Member

OP best warlock WW #1 2015 and beyond; no we can.
  11. Arieste Well-Known Member

Here is a random parse i stole from the last page of the flames' parse thread. Top 7 abilities are different blue AEs, and there is also Concussive blast a little lower down for an 8th.
    [IMG]
  12. Azian Well-Known Member

@Arieste First off, I'm not taking the OPs side as I don't agree with their assessment. But, if we want to be picky you are including temp proc effects like void of damnation, apoc is green not blue, blast is cone not blue and of course dumbfires. I agree with your overall point but for "real" blue AEs locks have only 2 with rift being on a very long timer (3 I suppose if you count concussive blast which is also on a long timer.) That all said, everything on your list outside of apoc hits more than one encounter at a time so I think your point is valid.
  13. Ucala Well-Known Member

I will make the statement that you don't play a warlock cause those aren't all blues. as someone mentioned above me. I also don't agree with the OP's statement, I am just saying warlocks don't have alot of blues.
    although warlocks don't really have alot of Greens either, so idk what the OP wants really
  14. Arieste Well-Known Member

I do play a warlock. Here is a link to him: http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/871881501753

Yeah, i missed apocalypse, my bad.

Sorry, if by "blue" AEs we mean AEs that actually have blue icons on the hotbar, then i am indeed wrong. I just assumed "blue AoE" covers any AoE spell that's not encounter (aka "true AE"). So technically only two spells are actually blue in colour.

Rift
    Cataclysm
    Concussive Blast
    Blast of Devastation
    Acid Storm
    Caustic Detonation
    Eternal Damnation
    Dark Aggravation

All 8 of these AoEs will hit multiple unlinked mobs across multiple encounters. But yeah, icons aren't necessarily blue, so I stand corrected on that account. I'm part colour-blind IRL, so i don't really think of icons in terms of what colour they are. I just use the term "blue AE" as a generic "hits s**t out of encounter" term. My bad anyhow.
  15. Daray Well-Known Member

I expect this thread to turn into an entertaining read.
    Treiko likes this.
  16. Bansidhe Active Member

As a baby 'lock myself,i'm actually learning from it :),definatly worth the read.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  17. Nynaeve Active Member

Rangers have more AoEs than Warlocks in fact, SKs have like 800+% more AoEs, and even Necros can easily beat Warlocks on AoE fights, but that is beside the point. My point is - Warlocks should not have to deal with the ridiculous process of selecting encounters, they should just just cast AOEs on a spot.

Some people don't understand how the Devs work - they don't do anything based on Forum agreement - most of the time in fact they change things when 99% of the comments for a suggestion are against it.
    In fact - the more you comment against my suggestion - the more you do support it, because all that counts here is getting the attention of the Devs by getting many views on a topic.
    I don't have high hopes in this case though, because the game is just too old, and the wrong decisions they took in 2004 are often not worth addressing anymore.

There shouldn't even exist linked-encounters in the game, because it is merely a band-aid solution from bad designers.
  18. Arieste Well-Known Member

With 8 AoEs to cast that aren't encounter, this is precisely what i do now. /shrug
  19. Treiko Active Member

Seems to me that right there is part of your problem. Instead of accepting advice you are gonna claim to be one of the best. Suddenly I too am interested in parses....
  20. Nynaeve Active Member

once again - this is not about dps and parses but to make Locks more convenient, immersive, fun, and real to play. Linked Encounters are an abomination and a total misconception.

here's a parse from just now, it's not great but at least it gets me into VD. I don't have any raid gear and no Troubie.
    I'm sure you do better, but again - this whole thread is NOT about dps.
    (04:17) Ahrmatal the Scorcher: 4412k Me-Plaguebringer-2339564
    me | 1475k
    mary | 991k
    cindy | 972k
    kacy | 588k
    jane | 333k
    kate | 53k