Upcoming PvP server - Info & Issues

Discussion in 'PvP TLE Discussion' started by Kazooooooooooo, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SevenShadows Member

As mentioned above by Fleshdecay have these and throw them on the hot bar, it'll make getting away and breaking free much easier. I think it's fun to be the cat, but sometimes its fun to be the mouse too that gets away :)

Flesh decay: "using crafting potions and pumice stones that remove cc and make you immune to cc are huge helps."
  2. BaKKo New Member

I dont ever comment but I went through the whole process of retrieving my account just to say how absolutely ridiculous that comment was :D stick to pve I guess?
    SevenShadows likes this.
  3. Nukyular Member

The very last time was the Battlegrounds. Had an OP'd wizzy back then and used to stand behind the flag on that battleground and Ice Comet anyone who peeked his head over the wall. Also, that one where you flew from tower to tower? Me and another wizzy I ran with would time it so we'd both get to the top of the tower at the same time, both of us would start a Fusion cast as soon as we landed. Sometimes they'd interrupt one of us but never both, so if there were 3 peeps or less up there it was over. And not because Fusion would necessarily one-shot everyone, though more times than not it did. But the stun at the end of it basically meant game over for whoever got hit.

I gotta say it seemed unfair at the time. There was a thread on Flames about how badly wizzy's needed a good nerfing, etc. I mean, you know, it is what it is but I KNOW it wasn't fun for everyone else. Reason I know is because people stopped playing, BG's started taking a lot longer to load because it was only hardcore teams and wizzy's even bothering to play anymore. I personally disco'd the entire set of BG armor. Then the Battlegrounds were just gone.

My point is, I'd have been okay with a little nerfing, to keep the game alive. But boy, if you started talking about nerfing brigs on PVP servers, the crying was epic. I think for most people who aren't super-experienced at PVP, and I'd include myself in that number, we don't like having no recourse, no opportunity to fight back. That's why people enjoy watching MMA fights but there's no such sport as Murder. And that's why in MMA there are different classifications of fighters, grouped by weight and experience level, because no one really wants to watch some 280 lb beast pound on some little guy fresh out of the gym. And that's what happens in PVP. I certainly can't argue with some high-level brig ganking a little warden who just went out to Antonica to harvest. But I also wouldn't argue with that warden saying Screw This and walking away.

PVP players always wonder why their servers die. They themselves are usually the reason IMO.
    Greebo likes this.
  4. Nukyular Member

Thanks for your input, always nice to hear from the people who haven't given the matter any thought whatsoever.
  5. Frostfang Member

If you'd played pvp since Battlegrounds you'd know how screwed up player ability CC is right now and that some classes such as Enchanters are extremely weak right now. There certainly can be more balance in terms of CC but nerfing it into the ground or getting rid of it isn't the way.

Also, the whole argument of pvp players killing their own servers by doing pvp is an extremely nonsensical argument made only PVE players that either never played pvp servers, or quit after getting obliterated. If you actually bothered to read the PVP forums or perhaps even played on the pvp servers in the last 6 years, you'd probably know that it was the sheer lack of developer attention to these servers, both PVE and PVP wise as these servers definitely suffered from both types of issues.
    Inmyprime likes this.
  6. Nukyular Member

Well, not gonna sit here and act like I'm Mr. PVP and you don't know what you're talking about, Frostfang. But I know why I quit playing PVP, and I know why a lot of other PVE players quit playing PVP, and I know it had a lot less to do with mechanics than it did with the high percentage of the PVP population pounding on noobs and said noobs utterly failing to see what's so wonderful about PVP. I also know that EQ2 is a PVE game that modifies for PVP poorly at best.
    Greebo likes this.
  7. Frostfang Member

;)
    Frost Phoenix and SevenShadows like this.
  8. Nukyular Member

Oh but wait, let's not forget that despite your cavalier attitude now, if the PVP server fails the PVE players never get to hear the end of it. Just trying to help. But we know you guys don't need any help, thus the resounding success of EQ2 PVP for the last 17 years.
  9. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

Well now you're just being petty because experienced pvp players don't agree with your opinion and know it's not the right move. You can blame it on cc, you can blame it on the players, whatever makes the pill easier to swallow, but the actual truth to the death of pvp servers is lack of dev attention. Any type of imbalance or broken mechanic on a pve server ends up being extremely more detrimental on a pvp server. It's just the nature of the beast and why the devs can't just open and ignore or slightly band aid a pvp server if they want it to last.

Legitimately, the issues you have with pvp can be fixed by just having more experience. There are plenty of class abilities and items that can remove/deny cc. That balance is healthy.
    Inmyprime and Frost Phoenix like this.
  10. SevenShadows Member

Exactly and since this server will be locked somewhere inside the time of PVP's heyday they won't have to put so much work into balancing new content. Once they initially dial it in and it's locked, it'll be good to go. This server should last a long long time... can't wait :)
    Greebo, Storiesofold and Siren like this.
  11. Raeven Well-Known Member

I'm a PVE player, but I have played a bit on the last 2 PvP servers. I'm going to give you my opinion, which I imagine you don't want.

The worst thing about the PvP servers, and the real turn-off for me, was:

1) Toons 5-10 levels higher (depending on the zone) attacking me. I fail to see the sport in killing someone that much lower than you, or the fun in being killed by someone that much higher. And if you are going to say: Just go kill someone 5-10 levels lower than you - NO WAY. I would be disgusted with myself if I did.

2) Gank squads running around attacking single players. No reason for it. Not fun for the single player, and if it is fun for the group killing a single player, well... I have to wonder about people who enjoy that.

You are going to say "If you don't like it, don't play on the PvP server." Well, duh, and if it is like that again I won't, and it won't bother me a bit to NOT play on the PvP server. But if you want more players on the PvP server, then perhaps there should be an honor system for not doing the things I mentioned above. And for those who are not honorable, there should be penalties. Or just set up the server so you can't attack anyone more than 1 level above or below you, and groups can't fight anything except a group with equal number of toons.

Or, just do it the way you like, with just the (few) hardcore PvP players who love slaughtering lowbies and grouping up to hunt single players. Doesn't matter to me either way, just giving you my unwanted, and no doubt unappreciated, opinion.
    Raff likes this.
  12. Storiesofold New Member

13. Inmyprime Member

Hello pvp adventurers,

This game we play is heavily based off of the combination of properly gearing, gear procs, spell cast efficiency and equivalent AA specs to maximize effectiveness. A few critiques based off my last pvp experience:

1.) The duration on spell CC was abhorrent and essentially made some classes that required an arsenal of stuns, stifles, mezzes and knockbacks useless in not only solo pvp, but group and or raid pvp as well. In addition to this, there were procs from gear that garnered an almost 7 times more potent CC than most spells. This needs to be looked at.

2.) PVE encounters on the seasonal Nagafen server were balanced to Kaladim's level and made most encounters much harder than they needed to be considering Nagafen's gear did not have blue stats on them. Gear needs to have blue stats such as casting speed, reuse speed, multi attack, dps, crit chance and potency.

3.) Once engaged in pvp combat, healing spells were increased by about 30%, this was not only exploitable for raid encounters but also left shamans less viable. The only reason shamans were played on the last server was because the PVE balancing was so rough that the MT group always required a 3 healer set up in order to kill anything worth killing.

Server health concepts:

1.) I like the idea of a server wide announcement when contested Raid Encounters pop. This would encourage contested pvp for these encounters and would disallow farming entirely by 1-2 guilds. A more variable spawn time should also be explored as this is the only pvp server that will be present for all time zones looking to explore Norrath in a pvp setting.

2.) I would not mind having limited gear earned through pvp to encourage actually engaging in combat rather than just running from everything because we have some shrub to harvest or some HQ to complete if we are to be viable in a pvp encounter. In order to keep longevity on this server, engaging in combat has to be encouraged past the usual lust to kill another player; there needs to be goals and rewards to achieve that otherwise could not be met without player kills. How would this server be unique if it is just a copy of Kaladim but with pvp enabled?

3.) I saw a post referring to having a public voting system for game updates associated with this server and how the success of Oldschool Runescape's development team should encourage other games to be transparent and forthcoming with their ideas and decisions. I wholeheartedly agree with this concept because at the end of the day, the voices of those who play the game should be heard in order to create a more enjoyable experience based on the vast majority.

4.) That being said, I for one enjoyed the previous pvp server's time in Shattered Lands but dreaded going back to DOF. However, every expansion after DOF I would look forward to playing as any class. I would like to possibly put my two cents into a voting system that would allow us to determine how long we will be in a particular xpac with possible maximum and minimum time frames available. For example: for the lesser enjoyable xpac such as DOF minimum of 4 weeks while a more enjoyable xpac such as EOF or ROK, maximum of 20 weeks or something along those lines.
  14. Siren Well-Known Member

Hi Inmyprime!

Expressing yourself like you just did on the forums, or in Discord, is fine. But mass voting or polls quickly become chaos.

Kander already said on Discord they're not doing any player votes or polling. Dreamweaver has also said that. Kander said it's because they could hold up a purple donut, ask 100 players what it was, and they'd get 100 different answers and none of them would contain the words purple or donut. :p You cannot make a poll on the forums here nor in Discord, either.

It's lovely to ask for things, but it's not so lovely when the devs get a zillion different requests that are in direct conflict with each other, would be way too resource intensive, have gotten exploited way too much in the past, just plain can't be done, or would actually make things worse.

And lots of times, like with PvP gear, not only is it too resource intensive, but it's a freaking waste of time because people find exploits to get it and don't properly earn it. It just got exploited way, way too much. Those are the reasons the devs have recently mentioned on Discord why they're not doing PvP gear anymore.

And I can tell the devs are feeling overly-harassed by certain Discord individuals (which just annoys Darkpaw and slows server progress down if anything). Caith actually deleted his Discord username and withdrew from Discord.

The game is 17 years old; I'm sure they have a really good handle on what has worked in the past and what hasn't, and the new PvP TL will be a blast. No MMORPG will ever have balanced classes, especially not one with as many varied classes as EQ2 does. But it will be crazy-fun nonetheless.
    Breanna likes this.
  15. Hoiyay Active Member

I think a lot of people have forgotten that this is a GROUP centric game...even when it comes to pvp. The pvp should be balanced around group play, not individual play.

It's already hard enough to balance pvp regardless of what game it is, but then to balance pvp around each individual class 1v1 is just near impossible, even for big AAA's like wow.

I didn't even know they were doing anything after deathtoll died. Apparently from what I heard they really screwed **** up. Just take it back to deathtoll and give the server attention and love. Deathtoll died in ToS because they overtuned the raids so hard we couldn't even pull the first trash mobs in zone. And dispatch took forever to fix (if they even did fix it). Mixture of 80% devs not giving it the attention it needed...which really wasn't much, and 20% the pvp players not have any patience.

Looking forward to coming back. I think Im going to roll a gaurd this time over monk.
  16. Kazooooooooooo Active Member

So just to be clear this isn't necessarily an issue. Youre going to die sometimes, it sucks. Sometimes it's to a full group, others in a 1v1. The getting stomped on by a full group is a product of poor game balance and design. Seasonal servers were set up with very little incentive to PvE as the server was wiped in 90 days. It's going to happen but it won't be as prevalent of an issue when players have options, other avenues of the game to play and strengthen their character.
    Inmyprime likes this.
  17. Inmyprime Member

Your example of the purple donut is an example of the complete lack of trust in the game's community from the developers which has been an ongoing problem. There are people who have been playing this game since inception giving their critique or opinions on game mechanics and balancing and are outright ignored because the vast majority of our game community are believed to be nonsensical. This game has been on the decline for some time now, I am not saying entirely because of the issue I just mentioned, but I imagine that if that problem were fixed it would change some things around here. In recent times, the communication has gotten better and I am sure most of us are appreciative of that. --- I suggest you take a look at how Oldschool Runescape's new concept to game updates has been a huge contributor to their success.

Referring to PVP gear, yes it is a great undertaking for one developer to work on gear all by himself, but if they are going to release a product half way completed, those who pay for it should have some complaints. Yes gear could be exploitable and its their job to try and create a system in which it works for vast majority of the server. Which @Kazzo's idea of limiting the pvp gear to a few select pieces would enable this balance between those who exploit and those who earn it normally. There MUST be incentive to engage in pvp combat past just wanting to gank some nub on the street harvesting. Otherwise those like you, who complain and quit after being ganked have literally no reason to play this server because you need to get your PVE stuff done first in order to even try and PVP.
  18. Siren Well-Known Member

Inmyrpime,

I have made exactly zero complaints about anything, and was a lifetime resident of Nagafen from launch day in Feb 2006 until shutdown. However, regarding lazy PvP gear exploiters and fame farmers who are loudmouthed know-nothings endlessly harassing the devs til they leave Discord: you're only slowing down the readying of our TL PvP, and you've caused PvP gear to be permanently shelved for everyone besides. The truth hurts!
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Nuada Active Member

by the time PvP equipment was available with the same stats as PVE raid gear, the servers were at their busiest

Facts !!

And the devs has lesser todo as design new items with balanced stats for so many Classes...

In the Kylong Plains there was, x4 vs x4 - and that 20 times as long as it took until the server crashed

There's only one reason not to have PvP gear, You Love Ganking, and ur p.e.n.i.s get really hard for killing treasured ppls with raid gear.

20. Frostfang Member

Alright tough guy, you say that but the reality of pvp gear is just having noobs on farm. It took no effort at all to get pvp gear. At least with raids, you actually have to compete with other guilds for contesteds granted the spawn times aren't completely messed up.
    Siren likes this.