Upcoming PvP server - Info & Issues

Discussion in 'PvP TLE Discussion' started by Kazooooooooooo, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Dudo Member

This post is so fascinating since it implies that they never once before had a paid beta with tons of feedback from the playerbase that was almost entirely ignored and led to a dead server 2 months in. /s

So your paid beta server feedback argument has no basis in what actually happens. Unless you are naive enough to think "it will be better this time".

Making it a free beta would give more access and potentially some good faith to the large chunk of the playerbase they alienated in the prior TLE attempts. Its far easier to convince a player who used to love this game to try out the beta to see if they made enough changes and the potential of further feedback adjustments than to say "Hey wanna come sub to play a beta, I know this happened before but this time its different!"
  2. Dudo Member

You arent wrong, but that number isnt gonna be close to what we saw before in the last one.
  3. DefeatedZ Member

I disagree entirely. Devs are making all the right noises about what is planned for Tarinax and it's attracting a lot of attention. Many old players who previously quit are returning, PvE Kaladim players are going to try this (i know quite a few from the top 3 or 4 guilds are going).

Beta will be on par to the previous beta i predict. We shall see I guess!
    SevenShadows and Siren like this.
  4. SevenShadows Member

In one of their last podcasts they said the company was ready to re-invest back into EQ and EQ2, they've been regularly in contact with the player base in the Discord and here is a screen shot of Mint wanting any items or effects that were game breaking brought to his attention so they can be fixed. They are doing all the right things this go around and as DefeatedZ said word is spreading quick and the discord is popping with people excited for this server.

[IMG]
  5. TORR071 New Member

pay to beta is a doa server in today's market. esp when you have titles like BDO ftp now. New World's new alpha is going to release soon and their beta is scheduled to release in july. these are games team pvp players are active in. DAoC has a freeeshard called phoenix and it's more populated than the subscription based parent, as a prime example of why you dont want to go down the road of pay to beta. DAoC is struggling to get those players back and they are failing.
    Lastly, there's p99 Red, who has their players waiting/pleading since they announced they were going to release a new red server after the release of green, but have as of yet given any new info concerning it's release.
    DBG can handle this well (doin it with EQ2 isn't what people want, but we'll play it), or it will fall flat, it's all on them.
    We want Sullon Zek on EQ Classic-ish back, but they have yet to deliver in over 20 years. Everyone across the games have said 'EQ2 faction based pvp? meh-ok' but if you go in stating pay for beta, you're going to open the door for excuses not to play as soon as some other dev releases something better (much like Sullon Zek when DAoC was released, though Sullon never took a hit in population, Sony or whomever just killed the server for no reason given).
    I'm excited for this, but I can honestly say I'm not an EQ2 fan, so pay to beta is a numbnuts idea.

As far as what EQ2 did right in the past, I would say Freeport Server. The first server in the genre who showed the world how to do free2play correctly and make a profit, of course they screwed that up later, but the server was an amazing thing to play on while it was alive. I know I sunk $1000s into it, as did many others.
  6. Siren Well-Known Member

Most people who are actually into EQ2 PvP (which you admit is not you) greatly prefer Factional PvP with Exiles (Exiles are FFA, so everyone's happy), which is why the new PvP TL server Tarinax is being set up that way. But as you've already stated, you don't like EQ2; it's obvious you don't know much about it.

The rest of your post-- which compliments F2P games/servers, and the F2P EQ2 server Freeport, which got merged into Skyfire many years ago now-- seems to be demanding that our new TL PvP server not only betas for free, but launches as F2P or else. Why would devs listen to your opinions during a free beta and set up a server the way you want, when you've said you dislike EQ2's PvP, aren't going to pay the sub, and therefore aren't even going to be there at launch? Never mind that your opinions may directly conflict with what the players want who will be there and be paying a sub! You have a big idea of yourself for no reason.

Time Locked Progression servers are gold sub only. The devs need to eat, and the server costs need to be paid. Do you know what happens to MMOs that don't make enough money to cover overhead and eck out a profit? They close down!

Having zero interest in being left with only memories of my fav PvP, which is EQ2's, I have zero interest in a F2P PvP TL. Clearly subs pay Darkpaw's bills and F2P players on the whole do not, or the TLs (the most populated servers) wouldn't be gold sub only. Even the newer live servers like Isle of Refuge and Rivervale have launched as sub only. Even when EQNext was in development years ago, the devs had walked back the F2P publicly early on.

If you were really so capable of blowing what you claim is "$1000s" of dollars in EQ2, then you wouldn't be crying about $15 a month and condescendingly demanding the server be free.

Skip two coffees a month and you're there. Or you can grind plat on the live servers as a bronze to buy Kronos with if you want to play on Tarinax. But this snide, self-entitled "I demand everything free and screw you, Darkpaw!" nonsense needs to go. If you like those other games so much, then quit "gracing us with your royal presence" that no one requested and feel free to leave!
  7. Trox New Member

Planning on coming back to give some EQ2 PvP a go, and am quite looking forward to it. Been reading through everything and in the process of redownloading the game now, so as to get refamiliarized with the game and skills and all that. One question I have; will the Celebration Bundle items be available on the new Tarinax when it launches (outside the items specifically marked * These items will not be usable until later expansions on time-locked servers. )?

Mainly asking since there is items that would be nice (looking at you Mr. Sexay66slotbag and Varig's Forge), but others that I can see being kind of broken on a fresh PvP server (glances askew at Journeyman's Boots of Adventure).
  8. For The Server!!!! New Member

woot factional pvp, now im excited
    Liliun and Siren like this.
  9. donk New Member

Please tell me there will be PvP Gear earned through PvP I really don't want to come back to pve raid on a pvp server. Everything should encourage PvP.
  10. Siren Well-Known Member

Way too many people exploited PvP gear tokens, and all the exploiters forced PvP gear to be shelved permanently, per Kander on Discord. Thank the lazy cheaters every time you're grinding a dungeon, and if you were exploiting, too, thank the guy in your mirror. ;)
  11. curse New Member

Thank you for at the least considering making a pvp server. On top of that, Faction AND exile.

I played on Venekor then it merged with Nagafen, leveled from 10-60 just from pvp and stopped playing around the time the battlegrounds arena thing came out, because it killed open world pvp and thus the point of a pvp server.

Will the classes be faction locked?

Also, happy to hear it requires a sub.
    Siren likes this.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

No faction lock, so you keep your class if you betray, and Kander had mentioned fast betrayal last month on Discord. During Seasonal Nagafen they had an NPC you could do an instant Exile with; the one in SFP was in the guild office.
    curse likes this.
  13. pocketheals New Member

so I pay 30$ a month banned once for saying good job on getting the pvp server out on time... now banned again for not know what I did on discord man yall eating my money or what? so ive seen the others trolling hard and seen @dreamweaver warn them give em lil citations n now im the victim hes got a thing for them or something?? ***** ****** up I even paid for the x pacs merc pack just to support
    Sixgauge likes this.
  14. TORR071 New Member

Siren,
    you're a unique kind of pos that insults folks under the guise of prose. but still a pos.

the beta should be free to bring ppl from EQ, p99, DAoC, and EQ2 into the fold, and other pvp games who might be interested.. because there are so many free to play games atm. Also, there is no EQ pvp other than Zek or p99 red which are ffa desolations.
    No one has asked for a free faction based pvp game, just a free beta, no one likes to pay money for a beta, no one.
    so take your two coffees a month and use em for an enema.
  15. Trox New Member

Actually having a paid beta for something like this is much better; this way you don't have a bunch of people that have zero investment in the game mucking up the feedback with a bunch of stupid. By keeping it paid; they are much more likely to have people that really want to see the server be successful giving advice in that regard, and not just a bunch of plebs whining because they can't use their credit card to buy a win (as is the case in the vast majority of PvP Centric F2P games).
    Siren and curse like this.
  16. For The Server!!!! New Member

What is meant by paid beta? Can all access members join the beta or?
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

Yes, if you're All Access you can join the beta when it's a paid beta.
  18. Siren Well-Known Member

My feelings exactly. People can grind for plat as Bronzes on AB/Skyfire/Maj'Dul/HoF to pay for Kronos to play on Tarinax with. If they're too lazy to do even that, you can imagine what damage their "feedback" would do.
  19. TORR071 New Member

1- no one is going to spend krono in a beta where things are going to be wiped, no one is going to cash shop anything in a beta, unless the cash shop is part of the beta and the cash is given to the testers to test it.
    2- a beta is dependant on numbers of users testing and stressing the server and it's mechanics. by limiting it to paying EQ2 users, then you severely handicap that testing, further you lose any golden opportunity to attract new and returning players populating this server (pvp is severely dependant on population numbers). being it's EQ2 and not EQ, one would think you would want to attract all you can, since EQ2 is not nearly the population EQ (p99 out numbers EQ2 as well, p99 has close to 8 servers 500-2k players as does DAoC Phoenix and DAoC live). By not attracting these folks you do not get their valuable input on the beta's mechanics, all you get is EQ2 fanbois, who know the tricks and mechanics they want and will not report.
    3- I brought up 2 examples of very large population moments for EQ and EQ2 of which I was a part of, Sullon Zek (the original factional pvp server) and EQ2's Freeport Server. Periods where SoE did things right, and was pointing out those 2 facts in hopes DBG goes and looks at that data. EQ2 is not a popular game, the only reason we are having this discussion is because they are going to launch a pvp server that doesnt exist in any of the other versions of EQ where we have been begging for it, so many are looking at coming here, but I can guarantee they wont pay for a beta, they wont pay to work for DBG testing their game. not going to happen.
  20. Sixgauge Well-Known Member

You need to make that argument to someone that matters and can make a difference. Going back and forth about it with other players on the forums isn't going to do anything. Until then, gotta pay to play.