Upcoming Monk changes on Test

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-bonesbro, Feb 9, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Kiiyone Guest

I sure hope the changes come soon, as I just got owned by a blue solo mob in TS... how embarrassing. :(

-Faryll, 24th level Monk, AB server
  2. ARCHIVED-Mamaseeta Guest

Moorgard seems to allways conflict himself, there are potions that increase your midigation yet do not raise yoru AC, I seem to get hit as often but not for as much damage, effects that raise you ac seem to make you get hit less. I am not sure he is translating things correctly.

However we can look for a ac increase in the armor we wear.
    Message Edited by Mamaseeta on 02-11-2005 12:51 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Mamaseeta Guest

Agi will allow you to better hit and avoid attacks, just not as much as before, still a good choice I believe.
  4. ARCHIVED-bezltrikk Guest

Thx to all of you who have replied to my post. I feel somewhat better now. I was thinking that AGI-avoidance was done away with altogether.
  5. ARCHIVED-Paraxis Guest

I generally enjoy and like to tank, alot.
    Since the feb 1 patch though, it became very hard to do so and many
    people I used to group with wanted a guardian or pally to tank instead
    of me.

Now, if they plan to give us a boost in tanking ablility, great.
    But, the damage has been done. Trying to convince more than half the server
    that you "can" tank now will be folly. People are mindset on certain aspects
    once things go bad for a class, such as our nerfed tanking ability.

So, when we do get this needed patch for us, I doubt much good it will do anyhow.
    As most people will be weary and want a guardian/pally to tank still. Once you
    set something it motion, it stays that way. Change is hard to do in a virtual reality world,
    and people will still remember our nerf and still think we stink at tanking.

Once you break something, super glue doesn't always work.
  6. ARCHIVED-Edyil Guest

Thats actually a good idea. I have not been able to play lately, but I have a 29 pally and a 29 monk. I could easily swap the armor set between the two and get an average per hit.

For the rest of you that are making a simple issue very complex. Look at it this way:
    65% of damage taken from a 400 hit = 260
    In other words, were we once were taking spike hits of 400ish, it should be now be 260d instead (35% mitigated). Does anyone really believe that? I certainly dont. It will take a whole 1 fight to prove it one way or another.
    Message Edited by Edyil on 02-11-2005 05:44 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-MoonglumHMV Guest

He did say "to put it simply"...he didn't say "this is exactly how it it in every circumstance for every item"...
  8. ARCHIVED-Neimhidh Guest

Although I shall mourn my former kick butt DPS, I think all these changes are a step in the right direction and I applaud.

I know monks are tanks, and I consider myself a tank first and foremost. But..

I don't feel secure tanking for groups where I am expected to be fighting large groups of mobs.

The reason is that deflection has a small arc and leaves my [FaarNerfed!] hanging out in the open. This mostly causes two issues:

Long distance pulling is really hairy. I take a lot of hits just trying to get the mobs back to my group.

I get beat down fiercely while trying positioning groups of incoming mobs in tight quarters.
  9. ARCHIVED-GymRat Guest

Qoute"This patch just blends everyone together. It also makes Race important to an extend. Because of the agi nerf, a high STR/STA monk is more valuable than a high agi monk. That is a mistake. Granted, Im an STR/STA monk simply for RP value, but I should be lagging the really high AGI monks. Im not. Now with this patch, I should be able to push ahead of them (eventually)."Qoute

I couldnt agree more with the races part. I chose a Kerra over an Ogre monk for the agi difference, now I am screwed because of these agi changes I start out at a much lower str than the Ogre, Troll, Barb..... reseting the stats does nothing for me because I still reset lower than those classes. Had I known they were going to mess agi up and make us a regular old "mitigation" tank you can bet I would not have chosen a Kerra.

I also am against us being an any old mitigation tank, the whole idea of being quick and agile and avoiding the hits is what made the class appealing for me, I played a warrior in EQ for 4 [FaarNerfed!] years and I am tired of the class, if I wanted the same old class I would have been the same old class when I created my character in EQ2.

So tell me now that they screwed us up, whats agi good for? Hitting? Its still nerfed so I guess thats nerfed as well. Not real happy I spent 36days playing this character to have one of the key foundations of the class totally altered into somethehing that would have had me not pick this class in the first place.

Ashac
    40 Monk
    Mistmoore
    Message Edited by GymRat on 02-11-2005 08:10 AM
    Message Edited by GymRat on 02-11-2005 08:12 AM
  10. ARCHIVED-Mamaseeta Guest

The are increasing the midigation by 35% so if light armor midigates 10% damage, it will soon midigate 13.5%, if in fact midigation is a straight up asorbsion value.
  11. ARCHIVED-Coterei Guest

I have a Shadow Knight I can test this with. It's a good idea, I'll see if I can find some blues or greens in nek forest and try this out this weekend.
  12. ARCHIVED-Babayaaga Guest

While I agree with the majority here, that focusing on Mitigation to correct the issues brawlers now face is a good direction to take, I really do question why they chose armour type rather than an inherant Monk trait.

Because light armor is shared by other class types that perhaps should not benefit from such a dramatic improvement to mitigation, (eg. Fury), does this not mean that those classes could become subject to overbalancing issues? After all, if a Fury was intended to have more reduced damage, wouldn't they have been allowed to wear chain or play by design? Of course, I will say that out of the healer types, Furies draw more agro than their counterparts generally do, with Mystics close on their heals... but 33% Mitigation is quite a lot for a healer... is it not? As a result, if this really does play out as well as it should for a tank class, will there not be a future need for "tuning", when other healers are complaining that "they can't take damage as well as a Fury", only once again resulting in Nerfs that will render a tanking problem for monks when it happens?

Because I play a Fury, naturally this change is even more exciting, however, I do know that as things stand now Furies have capabilities that differ greatly from their healing counterparts. I will honestly say that a 33% mitigation improvement will certainly boost my Fury's soloing capabilities, (which are really quite good as things stand now), perhaps even to a point where it will be more viable to solo than group... who knows?

Like the others, I am going to have to see how this one plays out... but I cannot help but question the method.
    Message Edited by Babayaaga on 02-11-2005 08:30 AM
  13. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

I tanked a level 52 ^^^ x2 mob last night with only a 5 man group, and we won. So, monks can still tank you just have to adjust your tactics a lot. Also, during the fight I had one point where I did spike in HP pretty bad. Otherwise I did pretty well.
  14. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Shouldn't matter to you anyway Mama, we all know you are tanking just fine after the patch and plate tanks take more damage than you do ;)
  15. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

Nope, this is one common misconception. AGI has NO effect on your melee skills. Your ATK is your ability to hit, and its directly effected by str, which also determines your damage bonuses.

Agi increases accuracy of ranged weapons.
  16. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

They need to change the description in game then ;)
  17. ARCHIVED-Coterei Guest

And the manual...

Agility is supposed to effect your chance of hitting, strength effects how much you can carry, and how hard you can hit.
  18. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

I agree Gage, it is quite confusing. I just used deductive logic, since if you high light ATK in your persona it says the ability to hit a mob. STR buffs increase your ATK. Otherwise, yeah it does say agi increases accuracy, but it does not specify what accuracy it increases.
  19. ARCHIVED-Kalamos Guest

The only concern I have regarding this change (which is a step in the right direction IMO) is the indirect affect it has on my Wards. Any increase in mitigation is an indirect nerf to the effectiveness of Shaman Wards, since the amount Wards absorb is applied pre-mitigation. I can't see it any other way.
  20. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Actually I don't think it will have much of a change when you are healing a brawler tank because of the fact that we still rely on evasion as our number one asset.