Ultra Rare?...new harvestable

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Ratza, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Alenna Well-Known Member

tell me about it think back to AoM where every singel pice of jewerly takes soft metal not teh half of it takes soft metal and half gems which means that if someon ewanted the master crafted resist jewerly they had to decide between that or getting their mage or fighter their expert spells since making the master crafted jewerly took 5 lumium each. and they admitted it was an oversite and never fixed it oh and the muldaran shuriken recipes only makes 100 shuriken for the same amount of fuel all other ammo gets 200 for another oversite that they never fixed. they haven't gotten around to fixing that either.
  2. Ratza Well-Known Member

Aleena.....I don't think us crafters/harvesters make enough noise to get the devs attention on things like this.....I see other game fixes happening pretty fast depending on how many protest something new/changed/or broken mechanics.

Anyways....all we can do is voice our concerns and opinions....and then hope for the best. That's why I started this thread.
    Moonfyre and HaphazardAllure like this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I did the math and figured out that there's about a 0.125% chance of getting the new food rares, if your numbers are correct. The rate should be more like 1% at least.

So, I created a new ticket on the DBG Issue Tracker: https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQII-577

If this issue is a problem for you, please go upvote that ticket.
    Cyrrena, Moonfyre, Anatha and 2 others like this.
  4. Anatha Active Member

So I am gathering (no pun intended) that the rares come from fungal outgrowth? Just want to make sure as I am trying my best to harvest some. Seems the new food and drink are raid quality.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

They are from the fungal nodes yes. They are raid quality, yes. They are only 20cb/pot (food one drink the other) better then stormthorn, which is MUCH easier to harvest and makes either food/drink rather then having to harvest the 'correct' food rare.
    Jaden, Xillean, Kittybock and 2 others like this.
  6. Raff Well-Known Member

I sell the new stuff anyway, lol. I use Stormthorn food/drink for all my max level toons though.
    Sejreia and Prissetta like this.
  7. Anatha Active Member

Well, I did some harvesting yesterday with my Master Provisioner. She was able to find 6 battle plantains and 3 victornuts even with others in the same area harvesting the same type nodes on Skyfire. Funny when I switched to my Master Weaponsmith at a later time in the day with fewer toons harvesting the same thing, I only found 1 battle plantain. Both toons are identical as far as harvesting AAs, potions, cloaks, etc. I would really like to know what algorithm they use to determine drops.
    Prissetta likes this.
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

From the antidotal evidence given so far it sounds like the new provisioner harvests were added to the main harvesting table for the fungal nodes. It also sounds like they were not added to the Rare Harvest Chance table. Which means using potions to increase your Rare Harvest Chance won't give you any more of the new harvests. Increasing your double harvest will give you more, and increasing your harvesting skill....has an unknown effect at this time.

If you are really interested in knowing, get ACT running with the harvesting plug-in. Keep your harvesting stats consistent and pile up your results. If you know more people that are actively harvesting ToT for the same thing, get them to share their stats with you and pool your numbers. With as rare as the harvests seem to be you should get some meaningful numbers once you pass 500k pulls. Yes, that is half a million pulls, or close to 200k fungal nodes harvested.

Then if you wanted to know how much effect the bonus table has you'd compare data from someone that doesn't have bonuses to harvesting stats so they won't get on the bonus table. That would require a hellatious amount of data to pull off. Honestly I'm not sure how much, but a rough estimate would be about 10 times as much as the previous trial for both cases. Well, you could probably get away with only 500k for the minimum skill guy, but you'd need the 5 million for the bonus table harvester because your trying to detect what should be a very minute difference.

The more interesting question to me is if players that are under skill can harvest the new "rares"? A lot of the ultra-rare harvests in other tiers can be harvested by under skill players, while regular rares can't.
    Prissetta likes this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The only actual way to know for sure what the results are is to install the little Harvesting plug-in for ACT. Subjective experience makes people underestimate how much they got of what they want, and overestimate anything they consider detrimental (just human cognitive process).

A long while back, Domino explained how harvesting works, and it hasn't changed much, other than the fact that you no longer have a minimum harvest skill to be able to harvest anything in a zone:

Domino posted on 08-07-2007 in the thread "Harvesting change or RNG love ?"

"For those who don't know what I'm referring to with the bonus result tables, harvesting works as follows. (If you really don't care about details you can skip this bit.)

For each node in each zone, when you harvest it, there are different result tables set up that tell the game what to give you when you harvest. Your skill level determines which table you use.

For example, using entirely invented numbers, let's imagine that there is a root node in a level 30-40 zone and you go and harvest it with a gathering skill of 190.

The game sees that the root node points to two result tables. Let's call them:
    T4_roots_base_result - required skill 140
    T4_roots_bonus_result - required skill 189

• The "base" table might tell you that you have a 70% chance of getting 1 root, a 20% chance of getting 3 roots, an 8% chance of getting 5 roots, a 1% chance of getting an imbue, a 0.7% chance of getting a rare root, and a 0.3% chance of getting a rare root + 10 common ones.
    • The "bonus" table might tell you that you have a 60% chance of getting 1 root, a 25% chance of getting 3 roots, an 10% chance of getting 5 roots, a 0.5% chance of getting an imbue, a 0.8% chance of getting a rare root, and a 0.7% chance of getting a rare root + 10 common ones.
    (Yes, the numbers probably don't add up to 100%, I just invented them on the spot.)

Now we know that if your skill is under 140, you can't harvest the node at all. And we know your skill is 190. So the RNG rolls a number between 140 and 190. If it gets 140-188, you use the "base" result table. If it gets 189+, you use the "bonus" result table. Clearly, as your gathering skill increases, your chance of using the "bonus" result table gets better. (This is where +harvesting skill items affect your results, they increase your chance of using the bonus table.)

As of GU37, you get to start using the "bonus" table at level _8 (so, 8, 18, 28, 38, etc.) You're still not guaranteed to use it, but you have a CHANCE to use it. Previous to GU37, the level at which you could start getting the bonus was much higher, so that you didn't even have a chance to get the bonus table until you had entirely outlevelled the tier. In T6 and T7 prior to GU37 we still couldn't even start using the bonus level at level 70 with 350 skill, so we've been harvesting off the "base" table all this time. Now we will begin to have a chance to use the "bonus" level, so yes, we'll get slightly better harvesting results in T6 and T7 than we were before, but it's actually about the same results as we would eventually have got as the level cap raised and we continued to level up.

Incidentally, all nodes within a level range (in this example, all nodes in level 30-40 zones) point to the same result tables, so it makes no difference whether you're harvesting in one zone or another."
    Beee and Prissetta like this.
  10. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

I wish they'd remove the deepstone roots from the fungal nodes and leave them on the root nodes, like with every other tier. I went out harvesting today, and ended up with at least 30 roots and 2 of each of the new rare. Totally ridiculous.
    Kittybock likes this.
  11. Meirril Well-Known Member

rare roots are on all of the food nodes in every other tier...
    Sejreia likes this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

Not so. They're not on AoM food nodes.
    Amberdina, Sydnye and Sejreia like this.
  13. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

Rare roots are not on any of the bushes nodes, and haven't been since they changed it after introducing the new provisioner rares, except for TOT, since there wasn't a rare node for provisioners when the expansion launched. But, now that there is, it should be fixed like the rest of them. It would be extremely annoying not to have it fixed like the rest of the previous tiers.
    Amberdina, Kittybock and Sydnye like this.
  14. MalcolmXBox Active Member

We get a drop rate somewhere between 30/1 and 50/1 with the deepstone root (which shouldn't even be dropping on fungal outgrowths.

How long until we get a clear response from a dev; or has there been?

Or are the devs thoughts on this considered "state secrets" like everything else of significance to players.
  15. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

There's an open ticket for the problem on the DBG Issue Tracker, https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQII-577 -- That means the issue is in their queue. They use the votes on these tickets to judge priority, so if you feel this needs to be changed, go upvote the ticket.

Meanwhile, in The Real World™, the development staff are not just sitting around on their thumbs. Planning for the NEXT release almost certainly started before LU100 went live, and the devs will be working on projects for THAT as assigned by the project manager. The project manager has to balance the need for ongoing development with bug fixes and non-critical changes.

Fixing the drop rate on the loot tables for these raws is going to tend to be low priority. Ordinarily, you drop everything RIGHT NOW and fix any bug that is crashing the program or causing data losses. Otherwise, each part of a development team has time budgeted by the project manager and they tuck in fixes for everything else on an "as can do" basis.
    Cyrrena, Amberdina and Jaden like this.
  16. mitsybitsy Member

17. MalcolmXBox Active Member

Well another thing happening lately (began shortly after Feb 17th update), on The Real World™ is what's called an Exodus™.
    Normally, after updates, patches, and releases, this occurrence is much smaller, and usually dismissed as an expected reaction by such groups of otherwise diehard players.

The recent changes, or lack thereof (depending on one's perspective), have made Maj'dul about as active (or close to it) as Crushbone was a year ago; and in a very short amount of time.
    This might also be a bug; and therefore we would surely want to upvote a ticket. I remember a similar bug this past September where people couldn't find many other players online, in the game.

The project manager and the rest of the development team, may want to take this valuable time to re-prioritize. If this population drop continues they may be planning on re-merging the new mergers, into a couple of servers very soon; unless the intention is to push The Real World™ off the air while making all the money it can.

I am rooting for the dev team to hit a home run; so that players are (at least) generally satisfied enough with what's going on to keep playing. If this drop rate isn't already seen as something of a priority, then the devs are probably making a second mistake involving this and other conflated issues. I don't think they can afford to let their d-****™ get in the way of these types of errors. The same goes for the corporate executives and their c-****™.

I'm not hatin' on you; just trading friendly barbs.

By the way, I miss Puck. He helped reality TV take its first big steps into becoming the steaming pile that it is.
  18. Meirril Well-Known Member

This "delightfully insightful and witty commentary" or whatever others want to call it goes far beyond the scope of this thread. If you want to complain about all of GU100 go do it somewhere else and stop watering down this topic before the entire thread starts to resemble the joke your reply is. If you feel that the hinge pin of fixing everything that is wrong with GU100 is to change the drop rate of the new food raws I'd suggest staying more focused in your feedback, because I quite honestly don't feel any of that belongs not only in this thread, but in the crafting subforum.

My own personal feelings is that the new food is nice, but quite frankly not so out of scope that its more than a luxury item. Change the drop rate, don't change it, either way it won't really be a big deal.
    Mermut likes this.
  19. MalcolmXBox Active Member

OK let's change this to blunt. I don't mind charging 35-50 plat for the food as far as money goes. I'm making a killing off of it. I do see the population dropping fast, and this is adding to that; I'd rather see it reflect a reasonable amount of work by most tradeskill players and not unenjoyable to almost everyone. The plat doesn't seem worth that and the current work doesn't reflect dropping prices to make it affordable. This shouldn't be put on the players. If you don't like wit or humor in what is apparently your workplace, I can't change that. It's a game to most of us. We're going to treat it as a game the way we each see fit. This was already upvoted btw. I just don't see another reason for anyone to put additional wrinkles on their forehead. So good luck with that. Humor™ is a good thing, even if it strays a few millimeters. Oh see, there I go again...straying. Don't tell the straying police.

So yeah, upvote the ticket peeps. https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQII-577 Use /feedback and/or /bug. Mention your gathering skill number time spent harvesting, and ratio of deepstone roots vs battle plantain and victornut if you do. Throw in the market values of the rares and food for good measure. Let them know that making this ultra rare or luxury is fatuous.
  20. Ratza Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious that the drop rate on these new rares is pretty bad.....and I don't think it would take a huge amount of resources to fix the problem...but what do I know?.

With that said.....the small increase for this food/drink over the food/drink made with stomthorns is so tiny that spending 6-12 hours of harvesting for a handful of rares is not a time sink that I find worth my time.