Two Bugs That Need Attention

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ZUES, May 27, 2015.

1. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Before you can Google it, you have to know enough to select keywords. So, I dunno if any of the many pages that come up are better than others, but http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php was at least simple to use.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Charlice like this.
  2. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Also, for those of us that don't regularly do this sort of thing, you need to know to:

(1) Go to the Start menu and in the search box type cmd, don’t hit enter.
    (2) Wait until cmd.exe appears on the menu and then right click and select Run as Administrator.
    (3) Run this command: BCDEDIT.EXE /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072
    • You can copy and paste that into the command prompt by using the right click menu (keyboard shortcuts CTRL+C and CTRL+V don’t work in the command line).
    (4) Restart for the changes to take effect.
  3. Sambril Well-Known Member

Interesting. I took a different approach to the memory issues I was having. I run mostly on 32 bit Vista and began having a lot of crashes with the launch of ToV, though at that time it was confined to Freeport and Qeynos. With AoM it got a lot worse and I would usually crash on zoning to Tranquil or Phantom. I read a tip in this thread about altering a Windows setting to increase the User Mode virtual address space. It really improved my system and I don't really have memory related crashes any more, but I will still sometimes get dumped to character select.

Furthermore I was able to apply a similar setting to my XP machine (Google the /3GB switch) which hadn't been able to run EQ2 for several years, though it was fine when I started playing in 2005. I used to use it for boxing occasionally and am happy to be able to do so again (albeit on low settings).

I think altering the .exe file could help those who have crashes on 64-bit Windows systems.

Edit: Ninjaed by Sigrdifa :) That is the tip I was talking about from the linked thread.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Jeeshman Member

Is the EQ2 executable already flagged Large Address Aware these days? When I used Vista 32-bit (also known as The Dark Times), I recall having to use a separate program called CFF Explorer to modify the EQ2 executable so it was flagged Large Address Aware first, and then set the /3GB flag (described by Sigrdifa, above). But when I switched to Windows 7 I stopped because EQ2 ran much better in Win7. I suppose I could check this myself when I go home for lunch.

I don't think the memory leak problem is connected to Guild Halls; it seems to happen whenever a sufficient amount of RAM is filled up to create the instability. Since a lot of memory loading happens when zoning to a new area, and a large percentage of the time we're leaving or entering Guild Halls, it seems like it's a Guild Hall issue when it isn't. I've had the crash happen when I switch from a low resolution graphics setting to a high resolution setting and I'm just standing on the Phantom Sea docks.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Charlice Well-Known Member

I followed the above two tips and have not crashed to desktop since. *crosses fingers it stays this way.

Thank you Sigrdrifa :)
  6. Lamatu Active Member

I thought the client was already Large Address Aware. Its in the update notes from 2008.
    http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Update:44
    Sambril and Dulcenia like this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

We'd have to check with the devs, it probably is. But if you don't set up the switch to USE the additional memory, it does squat. I'm pleased to have found out about this one.
    Utulme likes this.
  8. Utulme Member

Nice beautiful sig...wow...she's gorgeous!:)
  9. ZUES Well-Known Member

Still need these two bugs looked at please devs.
  10. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

Now, this is a bit of hearsay, but a former guildie was apparently killed by a shiny in Ossuary contested. He was close enough to it while it conned to a random mob and one-shotted him.

I'm not sure how true this is, but the issue is definitely there and needs to be looked at. It is more of a nuisance than anything, but it seems to be getting much more frequent.
  11. Lucus Well-Known Member

You need to manually input the "increaseuserva" command in administrator mode of cmd.exe if you are running a 32bit operating system to get the functionality
  12. Wulfhammer Active Member

Your comment while meant with the best intention is useless... If you're going to suggest the action, you could be a gent and inform people how to do it...

Cheers
  13. ZUES Well-Known Member

14. Prayos Well-Known Member

1.) If it's that important to you, you can google it yourself.
    2.) Someone shortly after asked how, and I provided them a link.

I'm not tech support. I'm not going to sit here and tell you how to do something you can easily learn by using the wonderful tools that the internet gives you.