Thumore D'armer [MASSIVE SPOILER]

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-BrashForester, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Mary the Prophetess Guest

I remain unpersuaded by all of the reasonings about Morell Thule. I believe you all are over-thinking it.
    I am highly skeptical that the designers would introduce another major theme into the game at this time with several, (at least), irons still very much in the fire.
    We have the Void to finish. We have Erollisi's fate to confirm. Freeport is falling apart. Rime is still thawing. Halas and Odus are approaching. Not to mention the Thex lineage at New Tunaria, Mayong, the Chelsith Stone, (et al).
    It just makes no sense. And a demi-god at that! From out of left field.
    Nope, it's Erollisi. Trust me.
    *nods*
  2. ARCHIVED-DukeOccam Guest

Kriptini@Everfrost wrote:
    Kriptini@Everfrost wrote:
    LOL, gotta love it.
  3. ARCHIVED-BrashForester Guest

Caethas@Permafrost wrote:
    I WAS WRONG YOU GUYS. HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY, WRONG.
    All better?
  4. ARCHIVED-BrashForester Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    QFE
    Cusashorn wrote:
    Nope. We've been thrown curveballs before. There's still a chance! Although Morrell Thule is much more likely.
    I will, however, be laughing should it turn out to be Kyrafyrm.
  5. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

Mary the Prophetess wrote:
    I'm going to channel that one dude and say that I am pretty sure you are wrong.
    It's not being over thought at all, there are quite a few simple and direct connections that deem it to be Morrell Thule, the entire nature of the encounter is not really indicative of Erollisi. Going to try and list them off:

His name: Thumore D'armer...Thumore seems like a fairly close hint at the name Morrell Thule, though not a straight anagram. D'armer could be a play on a word as it sounds very similar to the word "dormir", a spanish and french word meaning sleep ( in a verb sense anyway).
    He seems to be guiding people to find him and help him, those that lead the player to him speak of him in near legendary status, speaking of his importance, and yet the player is made to state that it is odd for him/her to have never heard of such a legendary hero. When we find him, he is asleep, and an object of curiosity as whoever comes in contact with him seems to fall immediately into a slumber...entering a dream like state where they finally meet Thumore.
    He speaks much of existing within the realms of dreams, and that his essence has been shattered and scattered around into locations that cannot truly be physically traveled to. He facilitates the transport of the player to these memories and echoes of parts of himself, further implying a strong connection to dreams and a power over them.
    The first memory is of the Tower of the Moon in Maj'dal, there are two widely known moons orbiting Norrath, Luclin and Drinal. A third moon can be seen in this observatory in a model of the Ro system, that moon is named Morrell, after the God of Dreams.
    The second memory was in "A Memory of Sky", of obscure significance perhaps, but the Overrealm is a part of what remains of the Plane of Sky, Veeshan's realm. A legend says that one of the reasons Veeshan's presence was not seen within her Plane before was because her consciousness and essence slumber within the realm of dreams, goverened by; you guessed it, Morrell Thule.
    The next shard was located in a remnant of Unrest, a "maze borne of madness", while the literal connecton of the hedge maze can be drawn to the Plane of Nightmares, which actually borders the Plane of Dreams, the location itself is perhaps more key. While it is unknown why the guardians of this Memory are all creatures of Steamfont (even clockworks), unrest itself is heavily tied to Cazic Thule, as it was he who originally cursed it. Garanel himself was cursed by Quellious. Cazic Thule is of course, Morrell's father. The one guardian creature that stood out were the satyr guardians, as some representations of Morrell resemble a centaur, others a satyr, always with a single shimmering horn of white light though as a unique characteristic of this demigod.
    After that we journey to Karnors, guarded by iksar and Drolvarg. Now, connections here are loose at best. The Drolvarg are formerly Iksar of Drolakis, once led by the long dead Iksar Chief, Thuuga. They were cursed using the power of Innoruuk by Venril Sathir though and forced to serve as his guardians (as far as we know history to be written). Nonetheless, the Iksar are a creation of Morrell's father, Cazic Thule. Some unknown connection may exist there.
    The final piece is found in what resembles the Palace of Ferzhul, termed a "Memory of Nothingness", this is another unknown, but it could indicate a connection between the void and Morrell's essence being fragmented as it was. He survived in the dreams and minds of all mortals. When all is said and done, it is plainly said that this is the last we will see of him for now...and the NPCs who led us to Thumore now have no idea of who he is, or ever was.
  6. ARCHIVED-BrashForester Guest

Homeskillet wrote:
    You can call me Kriptini. And your form is a bit off. You need to state your opinion as fact. Observe:
    "Nope, you're wrong."
    "That's obviously wrong."
    "How can that possibly be correct, when it contradicts with my theory?"
    All good choices.
  7. ARCHIVED-glowsinthedark Guest

My first reaction was that he was Theer, but Morrel seems to make a lot more sense. Not sure why I jumped to him being Theer, except maybe for the fact that the clamore replica was a reward, but I seriously doubt it now.
  8. ARCHIVED-Phaabap Guest

Personally i will say its morrel but... has anyone noticed that the painting you get as a reward is of a dragon, which could possibly throw the ball back into kerafyrms court.

Now i know its just the quest reward and has nothing to do with the text or anything, im just throwing that out there incase it adds a little more insight or depth for people to discuss
  9. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

The dragon is Venekor, son of Trakanon, and also pretty iconic of Everquest 2 as he has been a recurring foe in both the original game, the Spirits of the Lost live event/raid, and Kingdom of Sky. I believe the painting was on Test months ago though so I don't really draw a connection. As for the Qeynos Claymore replica...I have a feeling that the Right and Left Hand of Theer may have a connection to Morrell as his last shard is found in a "Memory of Nothingness" which is within the Palace of Ferzhul/The Ancient One.
  10. ARCHIVED-Taurus_WD Guest

I'm just going to add that the Kingdom of Sky zone that he is in, Halls of Fate, exists within the "Realm of Night" which also plays in to the fact that this is dream related (except for day dreams of course).
    Man, I wish they'd do another map book, I really enjoy the one I have, and can't wait for another one. With Morrell having history with the Marr's, it's entirely possible that he may be integral to the Marr story line.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Phaabap@Nektulos wrote:
    I wouldn't really consider this as a factor. The painting originally went out on test back when EQL was celebrating its 10th anniversary. However, it was decided since the painting has way more to do with EQ2 than EQL it would be used in another way - here for EQ2's anniversary. Sure, you could argue that they could have given out the painting a number of ways, so perhaps there is some meaning to who they gave it to, but I personally wouldn't read that far into it.
  12. ARCHIVED-Obzidian Guest

About Morrell Thule
    Morell Thule - The Lord of Dreams
    Morell-Thule, the Lord of Dreams, rules the demi-Plane of Dreams where he is responsible for the rich texture of sleep visions. He creates, animates and thoroughly enjoys the creatures who romp in his realm. He is nearly seven feet tall, well built and has handsome, youthful features. His body is that of a pure white centaur with the tail of a lion. His silver hooves sparkle constantly and he has a unicorn-like horn on his brow. That horn is not made of hair as with most such protuberances, but is purely a thing of light. His long hair grows down his spine and ends in a glistening white mane which, with his pale skin, set off his beautiful green eyes.
    Morell Thule is the outcast son of Cazic Thule and brother of Terris Thule with whom he often contests their shared realm of dreams and nightmares. It was through this animosity towards his father and sister that Morell Thule became an ally of Mithaniel Marr and played a part in the Origins of Barbarians and Frogloks.
    [IMG]

When I did the quest, I thought Theer or Morell Thule. Theer because we know he's been shoved into the void and he's trying to get back and dreams make sense as a way for him to communicate with Norrathians. Plus, he says that by helping him come back together you are helping to save Norrath. Theer, from what we've seen, has always worked fairly well with mortals and is coming back to bring vengeance to Norrath, but mostly against the gods. Being willing to help him out could help spare Norrathian mortals some of that vengeance.
    Theer also seemed more likely to me than them bringing in a god who never played a large direct role in Norrathian history, with the exception of the frogloks and barbarians which can be seen as still gods fighting against each other.
    I think Morell for all the reasons that have been listed basically. Also, anagrams for the name? Mor'Thu Dreamer. D'armer is actually very close to dreamer. Of course, it could be Morell Thule on the basis that he has traditionally worked to preserve balance. Unlike many other gods, he doesn't step out of his role. Therefore, maybe he was trying to return to his plane to stop or reduce Theer's vengeance. It really could go either way, although the bulk of the evidence does point toward Morell Thule.
    One thing we should be talking about is what does it mean that the memories you're entering are void portals and that when you go to talk to Thumore, you go to the same empty place that you go when you enter the rifts for the Ulteran Spires event. Could be just zone reuse, but it likely has some meaning.
    Also remember that when the gods withdrew from Norrath, they hurt themselves and their power bases far more than they realized would happen. They damanged their planes. That's why we have shards of planes and why people like Miragul are able to attain planar shards. Perhaps we are seeing a repeat performance of Morell Thule's magic with the Marrs where this time he split himself in order to preserve himself until the right time when he could return to help save Norrath from tragedy. The Marr story shows that Morell split Mithaniel and then gave the frogloks dreams that would help lead them to reuniting Mithaniel when the time was right. Dreams are often tied to prophecy and foresight. We're getting close to Age's End on the giant doomsday calendar too. It all seems relevant.
  13. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Sorako@Crushbone wrote:
    Not only that, but Fan Faire attendees got the true EverQuest 10 year anniversary award: A statue of Firiona Vie.
  14. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Obzidian wrote:
    I think it's more correct to believe it's simply asset reuse. This way the dev team doesn't have to spend a lot of time creating new art assets for a one shot event; they can just reuse existing assets. There aren't that many different portals in the game, and a lot of them look fairly close to each other.
  15. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Obzidian wrote:
    So, here's a question. I've known that Morell is brother to Terris, and son of Cazic for a good while now. However, tonight in lore chat someone said that Morell and Terris were created by Cazic and Quellious in a joint effort. How much truth is there to that?
  16. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Mary the Prophetess wrote:
    And you could use your same argument to say that Shard of Love makes no sense since we have this huge void thing looming overhead.
    Brell got a huge event before EoF came out. All the rest of the gods in EoF got a little something that lasted for a few days. I'm thinking this is one of the three dieties that will be released in SF. Erollisi (or a new god of love? /shudder) will be the good god (I'd rather her be neutral worshipable). Morell Thule should be the neutral (wouldn't it just be odd if he was the good? Poor coercers!). I've always though of him being neutral despite him helping Mithanial Marr simply because dreams arn't just good. He's here to make sure you get a good nights sleep, and keep your imagination active. He wants to keep his sister from taking over sleep and turning every slumbering hour into nightmares and torment.
    There is a good possability that if Morell resurfaces, so could Terris. Though, I'm pulling for Ullurukk. Then again, didn't the evils just get Anashti without any other ballancing dieties? Hmm....
  17. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Obzidian wrote:
    So...what have you seen? Where is this comming from?
    From my logic, the easiest way to weaken the gods is to destroy Norrath. Theer already started this process when he placed the void anchors on Norrath. Even if Theer himself never makes it to Norrath all he has to do is wait long enough and it will come to him unless the anchors are destroyed.
    Also, AFAIK we have zero lore involving Theer doing anything. We know what his purpose was. We don't even know if he actually executed any gods, or if he was even around when Veeshan claimed Norrath.
    So, really, what are you basing your arguments on?
  18. ARCHIVED-Vulkan_NTooki Guest

Dudes... his name is Thumore D'armer.. Thu(le) More(ll) D'armer (if u just glance at the last name it coulda just read Dreamer).. Dont put more into this than what it is.. Its Morell Thule.. there is no doubt.
  19. ARCHIVED-Obzidian Guest

Re Theer: My argument is based upon his influence and use of mortals to serve his will. The house of Bayle is a great example of mortals serving Theer's will on Norrath via the whole staff of Theer thing which allowed the void first into Norrath and then later with the Qeynos Claymore. We also have Soulfire. I don't think that its just by chance that Theer's "hands" just happened to end up balancing each other as objects of power. Theer's purpose is balance, preserving the balance between gods. The balance has been upset by the gods, especially after they threw Theer into the void. His vengeance would naturally be aimed at the people who trapped him and prevented him from doing his duty, the gods. Given the influence he's wielded and the fact that shadowed men have been on Norrath for a very, very long time, there is a whole lot more damage Theer could have done to mortal populations with his minions should he have opted to do so.
    Do I think he loves the people of Norrath and wants to hold hands with them? No. I think there will be serious reprecussions for Norrath, especially those who have attempted to keep Theer trapped in the Void (which includes all of us who have helped Najena). But I don't think he views mortals as necessarily his enemies. More like mortals can be useful to him but are also likely to be collatoral damage and those that serve the gods are enemy ants. It seems he wants retribution on the gods, and he wants to balance the scales again, both of these things will have huge impacts upon the world.
    So, I'm basing my arguments on the fact that the Staff of Theer, Soulfire and the Claymore all made it to Norrath and have all served major purposes in Norrathian history and that these are the hands and arm of Theer. I'm basing this on the lore from Corruption of Elements we get Theer's history and purpose and presumably see him focusing on attempting to escape more than anything else. And of course from the descriptions of Sentinel's Fate. I don't think Theer is benevolent towards mortals, but I also think he's worked with them and used them. recognizes their usefulness as tools, and is really more concerned with the gods.
  20. ARCHIVED-Pervis Guest

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, it does seem as if this is Morrell Thule, even if only for the fact that he said he is returning to the memories and dreams of others.
    If its true, it leaves me with two main questions; why did he give up his place in the world, and how is what we did supposed to help him get it back.