The point of the Rivervale server is...?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ghostouls, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Gameshark Member

more cash grabbing. thats pretty much. waiting gor the eq2emu to be done. big f you to customers again.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

I'm unlikely to play there.. but how is a new server a 'cash grab'?
  3. Jandraligeli Member

I think one issue that people aren't touching on will be that between heroic characters and the most recent expansion the game is vast. Whatever thin population this has will be spread across a huge gulf of levels. People won't want to play on an empty server.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

with all the lag problems we have on live servers , you don't want the villages .
    On Kaladim they are simply empty of mobs so you can walk through them without being eaten alive .
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  5. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Heroic Char Tokens
    TS Tokens
    XP Potions
    Vitality Potions
    Char Slots
    Spell Research
    Appearance Items
    Familiars
    Mounts

etc. etc.
    Mizgamer62 and dirgenoobforreal like this.
  6. Roadkillusa Active Member

The local villages have nothing to do with the lag problem. Some of us who have played since launch enjoyed the villages and were not happy they were removed. Again, there was no lag issue with them then either.
    Jaeded, Cyrrena, Breanna and 2 others like this.
  7. Siren Well-Known Member

Odd how the TLs, even when bustling population-wise, don't lag nearly as much (at least not when I'm on). They have the neighborhoods, too. I don't think those are the source of the lag.

I don't use add-ons, though, and never have. (Maybe all the different add-on modders aren't coding so well, or aren't updating their mods to keep up with EQ2's patching? I don't know, just a guess.)
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I use Discord and it gives me lag and EQ2 maps witch I really miss , what I am saying is that on the regular servers there is already a lot that put's extra strain on the performance , so you don't need something not really useful on top of that .
    Back in the days when the neighborhoods were in game the servers had like 7 or 8 expansions less data
    and we did not have a lot of other stuff , that's why the lag problems on Kaladim are by far not as bad .
    I am playing on Kaladim and have played ever since the first special server came out .
    When I go back to any regular server for what ever reason I get hit with lag if not even getting the game frozen
    as soon as I get into the game.
    I logged on to the public test server where the population is always very low and had problems too .

BUT I DON"T HAVE MOST OF THIS PROBLEMS ON KALADIN.
    and I been playing on the same computer for 5 years now , and when I still played on a regular server I had no problems either.
    What's the problem with you people all those other people complain about problems making DB do a giant investigation and you picking on me for it .
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

That really sounds more like a computer problem, than an EQ2 problem. I play on live and run Discord, EQ2 Maps, and DarqUI with no lag problems at all, except in guild halls.
  10. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Originally the villages were closed as they were persistent zones (IE not instances) and were always running as those zones do.

They became very underused and were turned off to reduce strain on servers I think.

While they are ok for nostalgia, realistically they aren't going to add a huge amount imo. I'd personally rather see them turned into Prestige houses.
  11. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Yep. It was guild halls and their amenities that killed villages and cities.
    Rhodris likes this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

Those things happen on live servers already, how is a new server explicitly a 'cash grab'?
    Cyrrena, EQ_Jack and Breanna like this.
  13. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Because to start on a new server, you have to build all of those up again. You won't have stuff you can trade round alts, or buy on brokers. Anybody playing end game is going to have to level all of their ascensions back up again.

Think of all the status needed for things when you dont have years worth built up, those mercs that sell for however much look pretty tempting then.
  14. Xevran Well-Known Member

I've been playing on live for about a week and I've not gotten any lag at all, compared to TLE where I constantly had awful spell lag. I even logged in on TLE the other day and still had spell lag even with the population so much lower. On Maj'Dul I've had zero spell lag so far. My best guess is a lot of people being in one area is what contributes most to it, and since I'm level 13 on live I'm more often than not in zones with less than ten other players. But that doesn't make sense with other people claiming not to get spell lag on Kaladim when I do.

As far as client side lag I get some in certain areas but it's not terrible. Mostly just frame drops in cities when I turn around really fast. Kelethin being the worst I've ran into so far. Also I always have Discord on, the Discord overlay can cause frame drops in some games so maybe try disabling the overlay if it's on?
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

Ah... people not wanting to spend time or not wanting to wait..
    Again, it's not that different from live. The people are going to spend, are going to spend no matter which server they're on.
  16. Almee Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time understanding what the Rivervale server is for except to make more money for DB in the short term. Isle of Refuge offers everything I've seen about Rivervale, so far, but maybe I've missed an announcement or two.

I thought IoR was a great server until everyone left it for the TLE servers. I've tried going back to IoR, a few times, but there are never enough people around to help with signature-line quests that require groups.

I've never tried a TLE server as I have no interest in what they offer. I don't think Riverdale will be any different for me but I'm reserving judgment until I hear more about what the server will offer that is different from Maj' Dul.
    Cyrrena and Schmetterling like this.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

That's because DBG hasn't released any information about it. I think Dreamweaver said we'd get more information this coming week.
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I think a lot of the latest problems might be because SB is working on those server problems , because those lag spikes
    seam to happen randomly.
  19. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I'm inclined to believe peeps are over thinking this.

Likely the team has convinced itself all the gating and currency hurdles are putting former customers off from reactivating their accounts and coming back.

That being said, I expect all the leveling mechanics to remain, cause well, $$.

So that's all it is: an attempt to bring dormant accounts back to being paying customers; subs and cash shop.

I'm skeptical though. Sure, some folks will come back, but a lot of the things that pushed them away in the first place are unlikely to be addressed.
  20. Raff Well-Known Member

We left Freeport & a max level guild to go to AB & build a new guild. Got it to Level 150-ish, I think. Then left AB to go to IoR to experience the climb once again. Maxed that guild out. Til the Fallen Gate TLE launch killed IoR. Came back to AB.

Gotta say, I've gotten the "re-experience the road to greatness" bug outa my system by now. I apparently have my limits. But there is a core of population that seems to want to re-run old content over and over.

I dread what this new server will do to other server populations. Hopefully they will merge some before gutting us once again.
    Mizgamer62 and Juraiya like this.