The point of the Rivervale server is...?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ghostouls, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Since they are allowing players to create Heroic characters, which you can currently do on the live servers, just know you can create one free but to level it, you will have to pay to unlock. Since I saw nothing in that post that your choice of creating a free 90 heroic also included it being unlocked.
    I am positive that transfers to the new server will not be allowed.
    The only influx of plat, will be from those that choose to start as a heroic character and farm coin. Just like on TLE servers, krono prices will start out very low and grow as the economy does.

Perhaps that is the new influx of cash for DB, members paying to unlock their heroic characters. ;)
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  2. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

...unless I cash in my 400 loyalty coins for plat? Or have you heard of the loyalty to plat thing being disabled...
    parissa, Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  3. Kuulei Well-Known Member

No idea, but that's only 40,000 plat and seems like such a small amount and not worth the effort to open the bags :D
    If I were to roll a new character there, I might open 1 bag, just to get a head start on crafting, if they allow them to be purchased with our loyalty tokens.
  4. Kilar Active Member

I am a newly 'returned' player on Maj' Dul. (Paid Member)

At present I can see no reason to play on the proposed new server.

1. If I want to go through all the old content (which I am not against BTW) I would just create a new character at level 1 on the server I am on now.
    2. I have all my trade-skills, houses, vet rewards, Harvest depot etc on Maj' Dul. That I would not have on Riverdale.

I see no advantages on starting fresh on the Riverdale server, but maybe it's just me?

If they had proposed a server where they had a more consistent system of levelling through levels 1 to Cap and I was able to /claim all the houses,mounts and veteran items that I have now then I might (just might ) be tempted to start over.
  5. Siren Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I guess these things and many others will hopefully be clarified when the FAQ posts this week.

I kinda assumed the L90s were included with the sub (although how many per account I don't know, if that's even true), because of the way it's worded:

"Plus, you can choose to start as a heroic character at level 90 in Phantom Seas (released in 2014’s Altar of Malice expansion). All it requires is a membership to play!"

If level 90s have to be purchased for $35 besides paying the sub, it shouldn't say "all it requires is a membership to play" in my book. I mean, players can choose to reside in the most expensive cash shop home on Rivervale, too, but they have to buy it, and subsequently it isn't mentioned as a feature in this post right next to "All it requires is a membership to play!"

I assumed at least 1 L90 Heroic per account was free based on this post, and my second assumption was that this was the case to nudge both vets (who have previously avoided the end game pay to win hijinx) and returning players who've been gone for years (and don't have high level characters) to buy the new Luclin expansion much sooner than they would otherwise.

Okay, Daybreak, we await the official FAQ. I hope it addresses all the questions on these boards.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  6. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I believe you can claim all that on the new server Kilar it's a regular server in that aspect Riverdale is just a gated community
    keeping out the free to play people , I have not seen any evidence yet that its more or less than that .
    Cyrrena, Breanna, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  7. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I could see how that would be enticing to a returning or a new player, as everyone would be on the level 90 playing field to start.
    Nele, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

yes or you can level up a toon from scratch if that's what you want to do , as a new player I would not ever beginn as a level 90 unless you know what your doing
    I asked for a wile now to come out with a TLE server where you begin at level 90 so I could experience all those levels
    from where Fallen Gate left of .
    I guess I got part of my wish .
  9. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

I applaude your optimism :)

Helpful to remember, it's not just gonna be Kronos this time around, but all the tradeable tokens in these family and friends bundles. Gonna be a lot more ways to use real money in-game.
    Cyrrena, Mizgamer62 and Soara2 like this.
  10. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

People getting hyped for a new server while im just sitting around the graveyard like

[IMG]
    Mizgamer62, Siren, Juraiya and 7 others like this.
  11. Siren Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think you're right and this is the intent from the start: get everyone to buy houses, mounts, pots etc. and then shutter the server as soon as sneakily possible....then lather, rinse, repeat. A non-pay to win, permanent sub server would be worth moving to, and buying expansions for as they release, but that's not what they want.

As soon as the cash shop buying frenzy settles down after coming out of the gate, Daybreak wants to ditch these servers and have us all start again. So leaving the whole pay to win end game even on a subscription live server actually benefits them more because it empties the server faster.

:(
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  12. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

It's just a new server. Nothing special, no special rule-set other than no gating (which is pretty average), no reason for me to play on it.

This whole Producer's Letter is pretty average, to be honest. And delivered of course, with breathless anticipation and wide-eyed wonder....for what is pretty much nothing.
  13. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

My character looks so cute here.
  14. Dauvien Member

Good discussion here... for the sake of argument wanted to ask this.

Remember the EQ1 "Legends" server, maybe there is a value in charging a slightly higher monthly fee for using this server if the counter balance is the removal of all "pay to win" mechanics? I'd gladly pay 5-10 bucks more a month to have a completely locked down server (remove the loyalty plat reward, no accelerated exp/aa items, no pay to win items on the market (familars, but retain the familar daily NPC), remove the spell research DBC upgrades, and no Krono). Has to be some value to DBG if they get 1000 people paying 5-10 bucks additional a month fixed vs a series of "whales" keeping the lights on for a server? Also may help to stabilize the economy a bit longer?

Its an experiment that while they have quite a bit of data, they've really not tried yet (maybe Stormhold did a little bit early on as it was blocking xp/aa pots for most of the Vanilla launch if i recall) and the results will be telling one way or another (to help them steer the direction of this game or the next).

Sure I agree with some that DBG makes these new servers for the easy cash the first few weeks/months of influx of DBC spent on market items. But in the longer run I also agree with other posters a Members only sever tends to be a healthier server and if you remove the TLE time gates many former members of the game may return (hopefully a few of my friends do when this opens).

I look forward to the FAQ and hope that this thread is being reviewed.
  15. parissa Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna respond to most of what you said... To each their own and everyone is entitled to their own opinion... But I wanted to let you know, that if Kaladim follows suit of the other TLE servers like fallengate and stormhold... When the server finally gets towards the end to the expansions of catching up with live, they usually get merged to AB... But all the characters on the TLE server are given transfer tokens with the option to move to a different server prior to merge. I am sure by then we will know about RIvervale and transfers... But there is also IoR the free trade server it is membership only also... Population is very low though...
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I saw someone mention all content unlocked all the way up through CD. Why would they do that? I did not read anything in that announcement that led me to believe that if you purchase an all access subscription but have not bought any expansions since say DoV for example, you will have access to AoM because everybody has access to AoM, but why would you all of the sudden have access to everything further on like ToT, KA, PoP, and CD, just because you purchased a one-month sub and created a character on Rivervale?

I believe whomever posted this, might want to rethink this. I think they are allowing the heroic characters at level 90 that start in Phantom Sea because that is the last expansion FtP accounts have access to. So people will still have to purchase an expansion to experience any content further on in the game past AoM.
    Soara2, Breanna, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  17. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I would have gladly paid double for a server like that, I suggested it a long time ago...wouldn't do it now tho, if they did it now its just be too little too late. Many of my friends have moved on to other titles, so many server splits/consolidations or w/e I really don't have a main anymore.
    Its still a fun game and have made some new friends, but its not the same great game it once was...I don't see it returning to that either.
    Could this new server be it? One can only hope, but I aint holding my breath.
    And the picture above speaks volumes
    Soara2 and Zeddicious like this.
  18. Leloes Well-Known Member

Let me just say that just because a person is F2P doesn't mean they are a freeloader. I am currently F2P mainly because I currently don't have the funds for a sub. I want to sub and I will but at this time I just can't. I really hope the new server will be success but if the attitude of the players is that F2P means that player is a bad thing......welllll, all I can say is that the player who feels this is missing out on a good person to play EQ2 with. One other thing I'd like to remind you of is that just because a person is F2P doesn't mean they aren't investing in the game some other way.
    Rhodris, Soara2, Breanna and 3 others like this.
  19. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I'd much rather play with 24 real human beings that are free to play than one player controlling 23 other characters. There's not a worse feeling than doing a /who all to find 60 characters listed - but you know for a fact its only 9 human beings on. I've seen days of 30 players, with only 4 humans...
    Scrappyz, Rhodris, Soara2 and 4 others like this.
  20. Leloes Well-Known Member

I can't really say anything about that because I only solo. But I would imagine it would be rather frustrating. I certainly do hope the new server is a success. I have doubts as to how successful it will be if they are trying to make it so exclusive.
    parissa, Soara2 and Breanna like this.