The point of the Rivervale server is...?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Ghostouls, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Siren Well-Known Member

The free Heroics are in there as a lure to a sub server for those too lazy to level, and also so Luclin is purchased all the sooner. I wonder if they'll limit people to 1 free L90 and make them buy the rest (to continue the revenue stream after Luclin is purchased). Then they can also give the excuse that the restriction is in place so it doesn't flood the new server with plat too fast-- although it still will anyway, with most of the population being there and even rolling just 1 new L90 each.
    Nele and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

My feeling as well. The server will bring some folks back, however, nothing about it addresses what caused a huge segment of customers to leave in the first place.

I'm reminded of a comment Longdale made in Fading's recent interview about how they've got years of data to help them identify what customers like. The problem is, their game design steers people into doing things customers most definitely do not like, so if they rely on data like that, they're going to produce a statistically biased echo chamber that will not be helpful.

Would have been far better to fix the account cancellation survey that's been broken for years.
    Brightblade, Crock, Cyrrena and 7 others like this.
  3. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

To be honest, if, and only if, transfers are not allowed from other servers, I might have some interest in playing on it. As long as everyone is on a level playing field, I don't see as much issue as with just releasing a new live server. If you can just xfer a character from another live server though, that pretty much blows that out of the water and it becomes just another server. If the idea is to allow those of us who quit after AoM (of which I am one), then I'd say it's about as good of a compromise as you could expect, short of locking the server at AoM.

Grinding all the old stuff is just part of the game. It's kind of the point, really. I get that it isn't for everyone, but since this isn't being billed as a TLE server, I don't really see the problem. It piques my interest, for sure. Not sure if it will be enough to entice me back. Need more info.
  4. rutro Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the suggestions, but ascensions--- (they need to disappear). If they do away with ascensions on any Live server...I am there :)
  5. Scrappyz Well-Known Member

The economy argument is an invalid argument on any server at this point, and it's not gonna get ANY better with the new expac bundle they're offering. Sure, we might all start out at 0 0 0 0, but once people start putting kronos on the broker just like the others? Once people start putting those tradeable tokens for an entire expac, or character slots, etc?

Like Errrorr said, those that quit due to the severe plat inflation are still gonna quit after two weeks of playing the new server. Economy's jacked, plain and simple; with literally no fix.
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  6. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

There is a fix but it will never be implemented.. a server with no eq2 marketplace...no krono, no potions, no race and or gender change, just your basic game like it was before micro transactions were put in place.
    If you cant make it or loot it in game, it doesn't exist on that server.

That would be something I would be interested in.
    Oh and the old Battlegrounds.
    Brightblade, Cyrrena, Dauvien and 3 others like this.
  7. Rennisa New Member

Haven't played EQ2 since 2012, used to raid in EQ1 during the Kunark to PoP days. Hoping this server will have some form of a population as I want to try out the new Luclin expansion and starting off somewhat fresh with other people is really appealing to me.

Still have no idea what class I should even consider playing at this point. I may just end up winging it. >.>
    Cyrrena, Soara2, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  8. Maldaris Active Member

Pretty much this. Battlegrounds? Yes, please.

To be fair, I could see them still selling cosmetic clothes, housing, bags, even mounts - if they allow /claim on Rivervale, most people creating toons on the server will have all those things, anyways, even bags. None of this stuff impacts someone else's gameplay, and if it's things that they can wring Smedbucks out of people with, sure. Why not? But potions, krono, and whatnot...yeah, no.

And the free level 90-whatever tokens are almost certain to come with appropriate level gear (possibly even bags), so that's more or less 'even footing' for people...I don't see any of this being an issue.

But disallowing transfers will force the server to *GASP* develop its own community! Disallowing race/gender changes will mean someone picks their identity and is stuck with it...which is something I personally think is a good thing (your name is your word, which is your honor, and so on).

DBG can strike the exact balance with little effort (most of that effort being Marketplace-related). I'm just wondering if they will.
    Cyrrena, Dauvien, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

See thats the thing, you say cosmetics, housing, bags and such because it wont impact someone elses gameplay...but it will most assuredly not stop there, that little bit is the very top of that slippery slope and they will shove you down it kicking and screaming and it doesnt make any difference to them as long as its making money.

Some of the most epic post on these forums in years past were from what most of the players wanted vs what the developers and powers that be decided we were getting.
    Sadly, a great many of the players left never to return.

I fail to see the logic of a server full of basically heroic toons?...I will try it nonetheless. I honestly dont think the population of the game as a whole will support such an idea, but if nothing else we can call it Test 2 next Febuary or March.
    Brightblade, Nele, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  10. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

If this server was a dedicated no-P2W mechanic server I'd be happy to play there. No paying to research, no buying familiars, no premium mercs, statted mounts, anything like that, and remove the plat bag from the loyalty merchant for the first year. This will never happen, but it's nice to think about.
    Brightblade, Cyrrena, Jaeded and 5 others like this.
  11. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I think just for fun the level 90 heroic toons should start naked and figure it out from there.
  12. Soara2 Well-Known Member

13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I wonder if the devs wanted the discussion to get going to get some ideas to what this new server should look like , because there is so little information besides
    new sever can start as level 90 and it's only for members.
    Is that all ?
    and I also guess this is what this survey was all about , man with the questions being so limited , this is why this server looks so simple.
    I have seen over the years this requests for a new server , had the devs asked us what we want in a new server , we would have been asking for all sods of stuff and they could not really have gotten to the root of what we want
    Now I see it clearly ,
    This new server is not really what I want , ( or is it ) put most people wanted this .
    People this is the server you asked for take it and be happy ( or not ) , it's what you asked for in that survey
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Soara2 like this.
  14. parissa Well-Known Member

I noticed it said no gated content... So I wonder if that means no requirements for any of the zones in the aspect of prerequisites.... that would be awesome... or if it it just means its all the way through to current expac... Can't wait for more info next week...
  15. Soara2 Well-Known Member

At this point, I am just livid by a few comments made here, but yes I am sure the devs wanted a productive discussion.
  16. Juraiya Well-Known Member

I personally doubt I'll bother with the new server. Every time I've created characters on another server, eventually I end up abandoning them and going back to Maj'Dul. I have tried every server that's been started - including all the TLEs - and I always end up back home. I still have over a dozen characters on Isle of Refuge that I never play, and I know that I will eventually delete them in order to clear up the character slots. I don't see the point in doing more of that.

That said, I know others will try the new server and will enjoy it, and more power to them. :) Seriously, I mean that. It's just that I know I wouldn't be happy there in the long run.
  17. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

What survey are you talking about?
  18. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

you forgot about the last questions we got by mail, some months ago ?
    true it could have been for the next expansion . but it also asked about what kind of server you play on as far as I remember .
    But the questions were very simple and straight forward not allowing anything like I like it all you could only answer what you do the most.
    yea the more I think of it , the more I belief it was for the next expansion
    my thoughts very often wonder of to lands unknown, don't mind me .
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy, Soara2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I remember that one, it was worded so vaguely that you were basically just saying yes to whatever they wanted to hear...they seem to do that quite frequently.
    How they came up with a server that pretty much starts at 90 out of all that tells me they are operating on a different plane of existence than we are...or they been hittin the moon juice.

Either way, I look forward to see what they came up with.
  20. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

For me the most stand out part of the announcement was the point its a full live server , And an all paid subscription server, which lets them remove the gating meant to sift out the unpaid players.
    an all paid player base is the best ! I'm loving the play on kaladim for that reason . even though leveling is slower, even though I'm poor , and don't have my resource base available, its worth it to hang out with an all paid player base .

I'd let them strip off all my plats if they allowed me to move my stable of characters to such a server. so long as the server is a permanent one.
    if they offered a one time transfer of a you choose the number of characters to move. even if I had to leave all the plat and house items (so long as my paid in cash housing is converted to a deed and placed in /claim). if they allowed moving my guild hall, I would even pay out all my loyalty tokens to do it, but if I couldn't , I'd still move the characters .
    That's how tired I am of playing with all the free to play players. some are nice enough . but in the long term they give little or nothing to the play experience for the paying customer base. as well as they sway the attitude of the entire server and not in a positive way. I'm sure some will take some hard shots at me for the above ... and that's fine I knew that when I typed this out.
    Cyrrena likes this.