The lack of expert spells.

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Ayumu, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Ayumu Member

For as long as I've played everquest 2, expert spells have been the utter baseline needed for competitive play. Everything above that has been a goal. And now, expert spells require a ludicrous amount of effort to craft, requiring rares that I literally cannot acquire, as Shadow Harvesting is a broken and useless system. This, to me, feels like a deliberate nerf to crafters in general in order to force players into paying for their spell upgrades with station cash. It feels exploitative. It feels like a game I don't want to play anymore. Please don't make me leave this game behind and all the friends I made here. Because I refuse to play games with my wallet.
    Svenone, Arclite, chattie and 10 others like this.
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

almost every spell have to be GM to be better than the old Celestrial (except the mitigation debuff spells) so even Expert spells are almost usless
    chattie and Sigrdrifa like this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Only for returning players on old toons. New players and new toons will still be needing/wanting experts.
  4. Beee Well-Known Member

getting mats for a GM is easier than for a expert .. so we have a lack of Master spells :)
  5. Ayumu Member

Actually, with this expansion, they changed a lot of spells with the new effects. So new spells are VITAL. And until you can get the GM books and master book drops, the experts have to do.
    Alenna likes this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

The way things are, the adepts will have to do....
    chattie, Tkia, Quillyne and 1 other person like this.
  7. Argosunited Well-Known Member

For a lot Journeyman will have to do. I've lost count of how many I've sold.

I laugh every time someone mentions 'I'll just buy the shadow rares on broker' for their experts. Yeah, good luck with that.
    chattie and Lateana like this.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

People should be able to get adepts.. since, material-wise, they're experts.
    chattie, Lateana and Breanna like this.
  9. Argosunited Well-Known Member

Well they should, but there's still a shortage of books.
    Lateana likes this.
  10. Mermut Well-Known Member

That, at least, isn't abnormal for this early in the expac.
    Breanna likes this.
  11. Suedoenimm Member

I don't get why only fighter expert spells can be made with regular rares (they do not require any rare shadow harvests). Was there a rational for that?
    Argosunited and Kuulei like this.
  12. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The old tier spells get resisted a lot, I have noticed, even at Ancient or Celestial.
    Argosunited and Breanna like this.
  13. Argosunited Well-Known Member

correct which is why most players are using journeyman which imo is pretty depressing.
  14. Songwind Member

Even making an Adept requires 3 different rares with 2 of 1 rare so 4 rares. That is insane. The spells I want are debuffs with the new to them from this xpac "Combat Mitigation" I have to switch from my old spells. Not to mention the class spell you buy from the Status merchant. Shadow Harvesting is horrible, you can only harvest for 2-5 minutes (I forget) every 2 hours, a lot of the Shadow harvestables you need are Shadow rares even................Then if you come behind someone who just ran through the area harvesting Shadow rares you find nothing and waste your time and cannot harvest for another 2 hours, or longer.
  15. Tabri Well-Known Member

I just came back after 4 yrs away and I have never seen such a *********** regarding spells since playing this game Im an 11 yr vet even w/o being here for 4 yrs. I am trying to catch up but as a sage I cannot get books, I think I have two now shadow sage 13 and shadow sage 18(both sucky spells for my class), one other person in guild has shadow sage 11 so we do have 3 now but the rares are a pain with this shadow harvesting fiasco, I have found 3 rares since I finished the sig line right when the researchers were done with the update mats. I am running around with adept 3's from last expac or adept 1's and journeyman for this expac. :mad:
    Argosunited likes this.
  16. AOE1 Well-Known Member

I am still using my spells with the highest being lvl 110. Many are masters and still do what I need them to do. I just cannot force myself to change to journeyman. That is a huge downgrade not only an actual downgrade but a mental one.

Just another reason to say "this is MY last xpac".
    Songwind and Lateana like this.
  17. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

How do you craft the grandmaster spells this expansion btw?
  18. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Somebody linked one for me so I now know:
    \aITEM 306230519 -1636404319 0 0 0:[Empyral Grandmaster Recipes Volume VII]\/a
    Empyral book dropped in PQ and to craft them you use:
    • master spell
    • 1 Primal Luclizite Shard
    • 1 jumping creeper
    • 1 humming sapphire gem
    • 1 more rare depending on your class (luclizite for tanks, jumping creeper for casters, sapphire for scouts)
    • 50 fuels
  19. SynnikuL Active Member

Most of my spells are master lvl from the last couple of expansions. Should I upgrade to Adept lvl from BoL?
  20. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Look up the Adept book on the broker or on EQ2U, and compare the effects between the two. In past expansions, a Master was usually not quite as good as the next tier's Expert. I had a lot of spells to Ancient or Celestial, and those absolutely are better than the Adepts, and probably the Experts as well, though I haven't investigated that thoroughly due to lack of books and materials.
    Songwind likes this.