The end of rare poisons

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Rijacki, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Fennir Guest

No, I don't mean that mathematically, they are going to be hit harder than us. Obviously we proc more.

I mean, rangers can handle this nerf. Some may not like it, but we have room for some damage reduction. The other scouts have already been nerfed much worse than this. They have less room to deal with this, imo.

Also, I don't come from the school of thought that any 'nerf' is the end of the world. This is minor at best, and reading the list of new poisons make me not even care.
  2. ARCHIVED-Gailstryder Guest

I'm very excited about the new poison life/mana taps those could be really useful, will also be interesting to see what they do with stun poisons. The agro reducer poison may come in handy for some who like to burn hard, but in general with master 1 primal agility 55% hate reduction, I burn hard and never have agro anyways. Should be interesting see what slot the agro reducer falls under for stackability and if any of that will change for the other poisons. In all I like this change, yeah I'll miss my adeste's but it should only be a small cut back in dps for most Rangers and we haven't seen how hard the new poisons will hit yet so who knows. I hope they stream line some of the other crafting proffessions now hehe maybe I will actually make one and get it to max lvl, tired of being one of a handful of peeps bored out of their mind by crafting, while the rest that have the most drab boring attention spans ever or can find the macro programs get to charge me out my [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] for stuff.
  3. ARCHIVED-Fennir Guest

Yea, that's another reason why this is a good change.

It's hard finding an alchemist willing to make me 50-75 vials of poisons at once. They are a pain in the [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] to make, and I hate having to find a new guy every few weeks to send a lot of plat to. Now poisons may be a lot easier to stock up on, and cheaper too.
    Message Edited by Fennir on 01-18-200612:16 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-Bayler_xev Guest

This change has a lot of potential. If done right, it'll open up all sorts of potion use that never really has existed before.

We'll have to wait and see how it affects rangers compared to other scouts. If the devs wanted to, they could lower the damage on DD poisons, and increase it on DoT poisons. That would benefit our melee bretheren *far* more than us; effectively, they'd be creating ranger-poison and other-poison. (But then, the lifetap, hate-reduction, and other poisons would be tricky for them to balance in a similar fasion.)
  5. ARCHIVED-Niuan Guest

I don't see anything good coming from these changes.
    Nothing more than a dps nerf to all poison wielding classes. Some of which are clawing and scratching for thier dps.
    This is a not just a class defining change... It is a whole tree of classes that will greatly reduce the DPS potential.

<thumbs down>
  6. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

I agree with Leoric, not having Adeste's anymore is really going to suck, especially since I just ordered like 20 vials of it. lol I'm going to hold off any real reaction though till we can see some numbers, like what the DD poisons do, can we stack a dd poison, agro debuff poison and stun still? are snare/slow/stun poisons in the same category now? Is the Agro debuff and Str/offensive skill debuff in the same line so those won't stack, etc. This will definitely be an interesting change for us, we'll have to wait till we can get word from someone testing things to find out what stacks with what and how much things go for now.
    On the up side, having a DD poison now will be awesome, and if the damage is a drop from Adeste, while that will totally blow, it should shut the other classes up that keep screaming that we are over powered and do too much DPS since that will seriously nerf the damage we do.
  7. ARCHIVED-illumin Guest

one point that was brought up that i didnt see a response to (i may have missed it...lots of posts on this topic), is how are poisons going to stack now? can you still use a poison debuff with the DD? THAT has me worried more than anything.
  8. ARCHIVED-Spectralmist Guest

From what I've read in the Alchemist forum (and if you think Rangers are unhappy with this, check the Alche reaction out! Don't forget to pack a lunch though, you'll be reading for a LONG time!), while the rare poisons are going away (mainly because since they are getting rid of subcombines in crafting, there won't be any rare LOAM to make the vials, since there won't be any rare INK), Beghn is planning on bumping the damage, etc on his new poisons, so that they will be better than the Common stuff we have now.

Somewhere in between the current common and rare stuff.

That said, I'll hold off on any judgements.

I'm more concerned with the changes to tradeskilling.
  9. ARCHIVED-Sulas Guest

I've been reading all day (barely getting any work done ;) ) and I still don't see any mention of stacking/ non-stacking. Has anyone else seen anything?
  10. ARCHIVED-Spectralmist Guest

Regarding Poisons? According to one of Beghn's posts, poisons will no longer have multiple charges (1 shot and done, instead of having 7 charges), but they will stack. He hasn't determined the max number per stack yet though.
    I think I read somewhere that he also mentioned batch combines for poisons. He wasn't sure about that either, but gave the following example - 3 at crude, 5 at shaped, 7, and then 10 at pristine. Again, I'm going on memory on this, and he said he hadn't worked it out for sure. If you want to see exactly what he said for yourself, Calthine has a stickied thread in the Tradeskill Forum that tracks Beghn's posts on the subject.
  11. ARCHIVED-Gasisna Guest

I am not too worried about this change. I know poisons account for a decent chunk of damage, I just havent become dependant on them to do my job. They are a great enhancement but I have gone weeks after I have run out of poisons and have done just fine. I do however need to make the aquiantance of an alchemist on my server so I can get a more reliable supply going.
  12. ARCHIVED-King Leoric Guest

Well, some people may like the "variety" of the poisons they are making. Perosnally I do not. All i like to use is adestes and shissar, and phantasmic visions if soloing. SO if they drop the dmg on these just to add other useless effects than thats just stupid. I really dont need mana tap, power just isn't an issue, In raids I sure dont need life tap.. I can avoid every AE, and if I pull aggro im dead anyways and no amount of life tap will save me. I just wont some good DD ones to stick around.

Leoric
    Level 60 ranger
  13. ARCHIVED-Stormhawk Guest

Well the good news is the Alchemists are fighting it. Maybe they can solve the issue before a backlash from the pred / rogue community really has to happen.
    Message Edited by Stormhawk on 01-18-200601:22 PM
  14. ARCHIVED-Marcuzs Guest

One thing to consider, while losing Adeste isn't good and the new poison will probably be somewhat less, the new teir 7 poisons will likely be higher than what Adeste currently is.
  15. ARCHIVED-Wuyley81 Guest

Not true anymore. Beghn just posted this a bit ago

Ok I have some updated news on what's going to be going on with potions/poisons. Rare potion/poisons will be going in again.
    How this will function:
    When any class crafts a rare (Adept III) Combat Art/Spell scroll they will get a bi-product of a magic dust. This dust will then be used in the crafting process for the rare potion/poison. The current loams in the game will be the equivalent of that magic dust for the new recipes. So a rare potion/poison might require something like this to craft.

1x Magic Dust
    1x Roots
    2x Loam
    8x Flamewrought Candles

I'll be updating my first post as well with this new information.
  16. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

Maybe we'll have a poison/potion that provides group strength, agility, etc. buffs. Wouldn't it be ironic if this ended up being the DPS nerf to scouts that some wizards been screaming for and simultaniously provide scouts with the very utilities provided by those same wizards making them totally irrelevant. :smileytongue:
  17. ARCHIVED-May Ham Guest

Could someone please show me in the OP where they said the damage of the new poisons weren't going to equal the old Legendary ones? Just cause they got rid of the name "rare", or whatever, dosn't mean they aren't going to be powerful. Where did everyone get the idea that our dps is going to suffer? All I am reading is they are changing the way some of them will work and/or are going to be crafted.
  18. ARCHIVED-GrayStorm Guest

/sigh

knew this day would come.
  19. ARCHIVED-Sulas Guest

I can't cite a specific post, but Beghn did say that 'Legendary poisons weren't intended to be used all the time'. This alone is a pretty good indicator that the damage the new poisons will decrease. But I also got the impression they might be slightly higher than current regular poisons, but *that* could be wishful thinking.

However, a recent development is just in. They are going to add a 'Magic dust' as a by-product of making an Adept III, that will be used for rare poisons.

So, bottom line... they're back in.
  20. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Are they taking away our bows?

No? Then we'll survive. Those of you crying 'stealth nerf' any time something *might* lower our DPS are being kinda weak, IMO. As long as you're paying for an EQ2 subscription, you're signing up to accept what comes our way. You have every right to be pissed about something you don't like, but I'd expect a bit more resilience from a class that fought an ongoing uphill battle for the first 8 months of the game.

Hey, I'll miss Adeste's if it disappears, but "nerf??" Grow a spine and grab your bow! ;)