Rare Harvests are too rare again :(

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Te'ana, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Generic123 Guest

[p] [/p][p]The potential volume is too low. If you're thinking you'll just cut prices and get lots of sales think again, the crafter down the street will do the same and your dream of making 3X fuel costs will fly out the window. The market size for Adept III/mastercrafted isn't very elastic. The total number of sales will not change much when they become more available, all that will happen is that the bottom will fall out of the market. [/p][p]Speculators don't take rares off the market permanently so they can't drive prices up or down in the long term. At best they can create a short lived blip. [/p][p] [/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Vatec Guest

Sidora@Crushbone wrote:
    Basically. I consider X + 2 to be a key level because that's the point at which the next tier of mastercrafted armor, jewelry, and weaponry opens up. And for the most part I'd rather use the mastercrafted stuff from the previous tier than the handcrafted stuff of the "correct" tier. (Possible solution? Move the level at which you can use mastercrafted up to X + 4 or X + 5. =I= wouldn't like it and I'm sure a lot of others wouldn't either, but it =is= an option.) Pretty much the only thing mastercrafted armor lacks is good resists. The stats and mitigation are sufficiently superior to handcrafted to make handcrafted essentially pointless. Mostly I don't even try to sell handcrafted armor or weapons: I just save them for my alts. And my premiere characters (currently the ranger, berserker, templar, bruiser, and conjuror) all get mastercrafted or better.

You have hit the nail right on the head, though. I'll quote, "just to grow out of it in a week of play time." There's the root of the problem: levelling is simply too quick for the rare economy. In the time it's taken me to level from 36 to 48, I've barely made enough money to cover a set of mastercrafted every other tier. That tells me that one or more of the following is true: A. I'm levelling too fast (and this is mentoring a lot and turning off combat xp for extended periods of time, so don't try to give me =that= sermon); B. income from adventuring is out of sync with levelling speed; or C. rares aren't entering the economy fast enough, so they are relatively overpriced compared to everything else. (Possible solutions? Nerf mastercrafted a tad to make handcrafted more appealing, improve handcrafted a tad, increase the rare drop rate, increase cash body drop rate, decrease levelling speed (make it optional!).)

=My= recommendation would be to up the rate at which hard metal nodes spawn. I think that may have already been done, because I'm certainly finding a lot more hard metal nodes in my harvesting. If that is indeed the case, then the problem should start sorting itself out....
  3. ARCHIVED-Oakum Guest

Calthine wrote:
    LoL, I have actually been lvl 70 on Oakum since a couple of months after KoS came out. I am used to T7 and when I get a xegonite I get 10 adamantine with it. Not just a xegonite with no adamantine. At least not that I have notice and I have spent countless hours harvesting on gazer for fun, xegonite for furniture, and loam for guildies.
    The ebon rare harvest acts like the new imbue material harvest which only gives the imbue item and thats it most of the time. Out of 11 ebon I only remember getting 10 fulginate 2 or 3 times.
  4. ARCHIVED-Vatec Guest

Yeah, I haven't had any trouble finding any of the nameds for Return of the Light recently. That part is probably just a bit too easy, especially compared to other HQs like Ghoulbane, Serrated Bone Dirk, Stein of Moggok, or By Hook or Crook. Still, considering the reward pretty much sucks, it doesn't bother me all that much. I'll disagree about Drull, though: we did it with four people, but they were all 31 or mentored to 31 and it was still very close; I doubt a normal group of six 20s could have handled the wave right before Drull. I'm not saying your friend is lying, but he's probably leaving out a detail or two, i.e. the tank and/or healer was level 70 in fabled and mentoring down. And I've done the raid three times in the last 24 hours, so I have a fair idea what I'm talking about ;^)
  5. ARCHIVED-kukubird Guest

Are other people only getting 1 rare per 5 hours like the op stated? I can't imagine me harvesting any tier and not getting a rare in half an hour. With current rare drop rate I am getting a lot of rares... over 12 per hour t4.... that is about right in my opinion. But what Domino and the community eventually land on will be fine.. just have to adjust. One observation I see with most posts is people want rares to be like before... 25 or more t4 rares able to be harvested by a lvl 70. It feels like people are all a bunch of crack fiends wanting that quick rush with no concern for the future lol. I say go back to the old rare drop where you got mad if you didn't get a rare every 5 minutes.... BUT if you do.. also make master chests drop off every mob.. or have 4-5 masters each with multiple fabled in em.... might as well go for easy cheesy powder puff mode. Someone in chat was saying how the game has got too easy and SOE is trying to make it like wow. They then said if they wanted to play a game as easy as wow they would go play wow lol, made a lot of sense to me. Anyways all personal opinions aside.. is it really possible for anyone to rare harvest and not get one in 5 hours with the current drop rate? I can't believe that... anyone else get that bad luck? I also wonder when people say they gather, if they mean they whack 4-7 nodes in an hour while fighting monsters the rest of the time? But yeah if people are only getting one rare in an hour, something needs to be changed..... give em 50% of the rares i get in an hour and they can be up to 5 per hour lol.
  6. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Yup. Me. The RNG is streaky. Each roll has odds for a rare, and the odds reset every roll, just like flipping a quarter. And the RNG hates me.
  7. ARCHIVED-Devilsbane Guest

KerowynnKaotic wrote:
    I think this is where the problem/boon lies. When I do harvest provisioner nodes, my rare count per hour increased greatly. I do believe provisioner nodes have the greatest change to give a rare. Almost two times the chance of other nodes types.
  8. ARCHIVED-Kenazeer Guest

[p] Same here. Last night for example, I had found about 6 rares in 1.5 hours, then got 5 in the next 15 minutes. [/p][p]Just my opinion, but if you are having a bad streak in a zone you might try camping or zoning to see if you get a better "seed" for your RNG. I have absolutely no idea how "seed" generation works (whether it be each time you zone or whether for each play session), and it may just be my perception, but I have noticed that this works for me.[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-dartie Guest

[p]I was *very* interested in this topic for a good long while.[/p][p]I'm no longer interested, and I can only hope that Domino sticks to her solution of leaving things be (for a month at least) and seeing what happens.[/p][p]I stock 940 m/c items. My 2Bayle character stocks 460. My 4Bayle character stocks 480. Seeing my inventory take a hit in the wake of the rare flood was disappointing, but it was no big deal. Really, it's just a game.[/p][p]What was a big deal was the prospect of going back through and repricing every single item so that I wasn't charging 3-5 times the cost of the rares in the wake of the rare flood.[/p][p]Well, over the weekend, I finally got around to lowering all my prices.[/p][p]It was ridiculously tedious--and kind of painful (since I'm now charging less than the cost of the rare I used to make many items). But the main thing is I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO REPRICE ALMOST 1000 ITEMS AGAIN ANYTIME SOON, so can we please just let things settle down? [/p][p]I don't want to raise my prices. I don't want to lower my prices. I don't want carpal tunnel syndrome.[/p][p]I just want to move on to other things. Domino has indicated that she does not see nerfage of m/c gear as something that we can productively fret about, so I'm on to other topics. Have fun with the never-ending rare discussion if you like. I wash my hands of it.[/p][p] [/p]
  10. ARCHIVED-rumblepants79 Guest

Even with the upped rate I have never seen 12 rares per hour harvesting at my tier level. Sure, I can easily pull that when I go into a T1 or T1 zone as I'm sure its easy for anyone going into a lower tier zone. However I simply can't see anyone pulling in that type of ratio consistently at the drop rate its currently set now (which I have no problem with).
  11. ARCHIVED-StormCinder Guest

QFE
  12. ARCHIVED-Kenazeer Guest

[p]Hehe. Yeah, but even if it is only a placebo effect, that is better than being frsutrated. :thumbup:[/p]
  13. ARCHIVED-kukubird Guest

Yeah that is the problem I guess. You want upper level characters the chance to pull in more rares or get better loot etc as an incentive to get better, however, people are in fact able to harvest that many or more with the current drop rate below their level.. thus flooding the markets. I think the current drop rate is a nice middle ground IMO. Should give it some time and see how the markets react My example was a 70 harvesting t4 for 12 an hour.. sure it would be more at t2. Please don't bring back that crafting killing rare rate from before :) At least till the markets settle and people get rid of their stockpile stacks of rares.
  14. ARCHIVED-aarddave Guest

[p]Simple fix then.. remove the bonus for being above the level of the zone being harvested.[/p][p]As i've said before, the people complaining that the previous rate was too high are the level 70's with the best tools/horses which skewed the results. Those of us harvesting in the appropriate tier weren't getting anything like the amount of rares that some other people were reporting.[/p][p]My results for last night was 4 rares in a little over 3 hours in the feerot with a level 44 necro/50 sage and that was a good day compared to recent harvesting trips.[/p]
  15. ARCHIVED-Te'ana Guest

[p]I am still not getting anything like the rare drops that some people are reporting. MY Mystic hasn't gotten a rare in several months.I have ONE lucky harvester (Ratatooee) out of 14 current characters, but even Ratatooee is only moderately lucky at best compared to what some people are reporting. [/p][p]BTW: I have no real knowledge of how the RNG seed works, but I believe your RNG seed is created when your character is created. My level 70 Mystic has NEVER been lucky harvesting and I have played her since December 2004. I created an evil Ratonga about 4 months ago and she was super lucky until she betrayed; then her luck went away completely. I think her RNG seed was reset when she completed her betrayal. [/p]
  16. ARCHIVED-Juddge Guest

[p]Dont know much about how the RNG works, but if it is somethign that is created at birth of your char thats very bad. To have an unlucky or lucky char is very bad thing. How does it work exactly anyone know have any insight?[/p]
  17. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

Dont worry, its the same for everyone!
  18. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

I know someone that did a bit of playing around with it after noticing a pattern in loot rolls. Seems there is a fairly predictable cycle between "high" rolls. For him every 13th roll would be very high (top 5%ish). He had a few others playing with it and while the length of the cycle would change between characters, the pattern always seemed to stand out. What he would do it roll high then roll 12 times on junk loot .. then save the 13th for something he wanted like a master ;) Not saying this is true .. it is only what I heard from someone . I keep thinking about testing it out, but it is a pain ;)
  19. ARCHIVED-Celiondra Guest

I don't know if this is new I didn't notice it until last night. But when ever I got a rare item I got 10 of a normal item and the rare. Is that new or did I miss it before? Sorry I just came back to the game after a long break.
  20. ARCHIVED-Juddge Guest

Same thing for me also I think that is new. I dont remember it being that way but maybe never put my attention on it before.