Rare Harvests are too rare again :(

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Te'ana, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Te'ana Guest

Since the 'rollback' I can't seem to find rares at all on some of my harvesters and my best ones are only finding about one per every five hours of harvesting. The new imbues have also become scarce and deserve to have the 'rare harvest' sound added back :(
  2. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

*head explodes*
  3. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

poor domino :( *hands domino some chocolate covered faeberries and some coffee.* *Also decides to give her jumjum pie*
  4. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

*breaks out the mop and bucket*
  5. ARCHIVED-Pij Guest

I just can agree and encourage Domino. In order to find a good balance it is definetly the best to try something for a month to see the numbers how things are evolving. If it then needs further tuning (and it will most likely need further tuning :p) it can be done, but to rush things now because some people are experiencing a striking RNG does not bring anything good. Keep up the great work Pij
  6. ARCHIVED-Zahrim-Dk Guest

Rare harvests should be rare. 1 rare in 5 hours of harvesting is still way too common.
  7. ARCHIVED-Celena Guest

Aww, poor Domino. Leave the poor thing alone!! One session of harvesting cannot accurately conclude rares are "too rare".
  8. ARCHIVED-pinojet Guest

you are joking surely :) i've been trying to get regular pelts,over the last few days and in 5 or 6, 2-3hrs sessions i get 4-6 rares they are far to common.When i can only get 2-3 stacks of common pelts in the same time.A few definitions of rare are:Uncommon,unusual,seldom found or occurring.None of which apply to harvested rares ingame :)
  9. ARCHIVED-Mishkel Guest

I guess it all depends on your point of view and most likely not everyone has the same experience. So for anyone to claim anything is fact based on thier experience is a tad off.. regardless.
    I'd say my personal experience in this game doesn't exactly mesh with many posters here. Altho as all things are pretty random that can be expected.
    There are a lot of comments I'd like to make but from what I see most wouldn't be welcome.. and as I see it that way.. I'd rather not start any flame ups on this forum.
    I am very happy with the development work that is going towards harvesting and crafting in general.
    To be totally honest I just have a totally different point of view on this whole "rare" thing... and I have several level 70's and quite a few crafters. So I can quite easily outfit anything *I* want to make.
    Just from my point of view.. much of what is considered "wrong" in this thread.. is exactly why this game can't pull in as many new players as it could.
    Anyway.. that's as much as I wish to stir the pot .. if you will.
    I am as I said.. happy with the development attention this area of the game is getting. I was a pretty hardcore crafter going back to Ultima Online... so its an area of interest to me.
  10. ARCHIVED-aarddave Guest

Zahrim-Dk wrote:
    Depends on your definition of rare.
    As things stand item progression goes along the lines of common loot/bought - handcrafted - treasured - mastercrafted - legendary - fabled.
    Given that mastercrafted is generally not as good as legendary it should also not be 'as rare'. Now, how would you feel if if after 5 hours in a dungeon you had 1 legendary item to show for it? Not very happy i suspect.
  11. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

I think one of the problems is incomplete information when people are reporting how many rares drop. For example, if I report I'm seeing 20 rares an hour, it makes a big difference if I'm a level 70, riding a max-speed mount, carrying max-speed harvesting tools, harvesting in a zone I've greyed out and don't have to worry about aggro and I'm concentrating purely on harvesting as fast as I can, vs. being a normal character with no mount, no harvest tools and only at the upper end of the zone's tier so I have to dodge aggro while hunting for nodes. The first character's likely to get a much higher drop rate for rares than the second simply because the first can harvest more nodes in an hour than the second. If you then tune the drop rate to be reasonable for the first character, the second ends up getting very few rares. And the speculators and rare-farmers, the ones most vocally objecting to how the increased supply has driven prices down, are also more likely than not to be equipped and operating as the first character, not the second. They don't even have to distort numbers, just neglect ot mention the volume of nodes that got them their rares. To tune reliably, you need drop rates measured not in rares per hour but in number of rares per number of nodes harvested. And nobody's reporting that. It'd be educational to parse the server-side logs for harvesting activity and calculate rares dropped over number of nodes harvested and see how that looks.
  12. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

The only thing that having a low rare acquisition rate does is drive up the prices on rares and lessens the availability of rares for those who will actually use them. And since they took the resists off things like MC armor, a lot of it is pure crap compared to Treasured drops or some quested items, especially at the lower levels. Then you have things like the CA rares, with gems and soft metal being easily found, whereas rare hard metal and rare loam are next to impossible. Meaning it's not even worth it to upgrade to the hard-to-get-materials-for MC armor and let's not even put MC hard metal weapons out there. Not to mention trying to get CA upgrades if you're a scout or fighter at the current cap.
  13. ARCHIVED-spikeking Guest

Amen Jrral i think you have hit the nail on the head. everyone forgets about the char that isn't lv 70 and doesn't have a max speed mount and max harvesting tools.
  14. ARCHIVED-steelblueangel Guest

I agree with another poster that stated, if legendary and fabled only dropped 1 per 5 hours the fourms would be filled with ppl ranting for improved drop rates. In fact there are already those complaing because they are only getting wood chest instead of ornate from named and epic mobs. If they were told they should accept the fact that only 1 item per 5 hours of game play was considered the norm they would probably not rant they would quit playing the game.
    Rares = armor and spells for the average player the only difference is they come in the form of raw material that must be crafted to wear etc. Therefore rares should be as attainable at a regular drop rate to the player base so they can be used to outfit their characters; similar, to those that dungeon crawl for legendary/ fabled equipement or spells outfit their toons and choose not to use crafted items.
  15. ARCHIVED-Pij Guest

As Domino stated already earlier, reports afre not needed at all she can see overall stats, server stats, character stats ... she gets perfect information for tuning ... but as I stated before she also needs to see how things evolve ... so give her a month then let her tune further. No need to discuss stuff now ... stay calm, then bring your opinions (after a month's experience) and post them to give Domino the feedback which she needs to. Best regards Pij
  16. ARCHIVED-Articulas Guest

lol, cant' make everyone happy. balance it the best you can, and ignore the whiners :p
  17. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

DominoDev wrote:
    For what it's worth I like it now.
  18. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

Te'ana wrote:
    I too have noticed rares are getting harder again. I would like the RNG to go back where it was before the change. Making rares hard to get just enriches bots who are plat seller mules -- look at the names of those selling the rares and that should give you a clue.
  19. ARCHIVED-Te'ana Guest

[p]Domino you wanted to know what was happening before making adjustments some time in September through November. This is my very valid observation and it is not based on a single harvesting session. I have diligently been working with my harvesting alts and moving my crafters one-by-one up to level 70 in anticipation of the new expansion pack. I have seen a DRAMATIC reduction in rares, not a readjustment to pre LU#37 levels. And the imbues have indeed become real rares now. If both things are what you intended so be it but don't get mad at the messenger for bringing it to your attention.[/p][p] [/p][p] [/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Kulssin Guest

Te'ana wrote:
    Seems I'm going to be one of the minority here and disagree. Sounds like yet another case of a dry streak in my opinion. I've been picking up rares like they were pennies in a fountain the past few days after only a two day dry streak. Either that or I've got a secret admirer on the Dev team.. :shock: