Ranger AA build(s)

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Effidian, May 3, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Effidian Guest

Okay, I wanted to start a post about our AA builds and get this stickied so we'd have a reference to point people to. There are several builds people could have; dps, solo, pvp, etc. So, we can try to come up with a consenus on which ones are useful and get those documented. I'm afraid I really only use a DPS build, so I'll start with that and others can contribute more builds.
    DPS Build
    Predator:
    • AGI: 44481 (add 2 more points in this line)
    • INT: 44481 (add 2 more points in this line)
    • STR: 4448
    AGI gives you ranged crits and reduced casting speed, INT gives you spell crits (poison) and intoxication, and STR gives you melee crits. With 1 point in Bounty to start off, this consumes 69 points, and you have 1 more point to throw anywhere.
    Ranger:
    • 5 Enhance: Caustic Poison
    • 4 Enhance: Fettering Poison
    • 5 Enhance: Ancillary Poison
    • 1 Conservation
    • 3 Enhance: Dance of the Forest
    • 5 Enhance: Focus Fire
    • 4 Enhance: Honed Reflexes
    • 5 Enhance: Killing Instinct
    • 1 Extension
    • 5 Enhance: Searing Shot
    • 5 Enhance: Fittest Survival
    • 5 Enhance: Triple Burst
    • 5 Enhance: Shower of Arrows
    • 1 Double Arrow
    • 5 Enhance: Roped Shot
    • 5 Enhance: Hawk Attack
    That leaves 6 points to spend anywhere.
    (Other Specs)
    Will need to wait for input from others...
  2. ARCHIVED-Neiloch Guest

I have actually been trying out the wisdom line. The deaggro attack has saved my life a few times and the defense buff is nice because well, its a defense buff. Then I pump 8 points into more damaging stealth attacks and faster casting stealth. so its WIS 4448.
  3. ARCHIVED-Redwud3381 Guest

my question to you is, Is there any kind of order to getting these? So far i don't have enough points to fill the AGI line yet, but i'm wondering if i should be putting some in the ranger tab as well.
  4. ARCHIVED-ChodeNode1 Guest

Taeolin@Befallen wrote:
    I'd probably say do at least the AGI line first. Then perhaps getting the max poison crit in the INT line and then starting on the EoF tree in exactly the order shown would be the way to get best dps. Once you get to the Double Arrow though, would be best to pop back over to the KoS line and finish out over there.
  5. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Neiloch wrote:
    What build are you trying for? If you want max DPS, Str > Wis and there are alot of posts detailing that in this forum. Coverage is better than Obfuscation, plus obsfucation only works on spy and normal stealth. U never normal stealth during combat, so that leaves spy.

Believe me I wanted to use the wisdom line but the str line is way better. I lost DPS with the wisdom line. Now since the changes to all of our CAs that str line is even better.
  6. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

ChodeNode1 wrote:
    My Guild is finally going to help me level my Ranger so I can go with them when they group for the higher end areas we got from ROK. we don't have anyone else with a Ranger. and it looks like our guilds is starting to get more unique members so that we may occasionally raid. hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be at 50 or 60 with my friends Berserker Tank. which means I hope i can get my guilds help in getting the raws so I can level her woodworking along with adventure. So how should I respec her to get the maximum while grouping for fast leveling and still be able to do the occasional solo stuff. Here's what I have. http://eq2players.station.sony.com/...terId=627823101
  7. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Like every other AA post says, do Agi first. It looks like you have your points needlessly scattered around.

Repsec and put all your points in AGI. Stay in AGI until you get max crits and the final ability poise. From here, I would go to double shot in the Ranger tree, then extension, then conservation, then str and int back in the pred tree.

I, like Effidian, beleive a max DPS build is the best build no matter what you do. Max DPS stuff dies faster so soloing is easier. And obviously, if you group and raid, max DPS is what you are expected to do so that is the build you ultimately want.

Now, I am not saying there are other builds that are effective solo. What I am saying is that none all those other tricks you may take (animal, snare, root) do nothign for your DPS. So while you have all these new tricks, you still cant kill the mob fast enuff. We are predators. Our style is: kill quicker than can be killed.
  8. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Ranja wrote:
    yeah I sort of thought I'd scattered to much I can only say that I started putting things in before I came and asked about AAs the first time and my idea was Rangers were for ranged attacks so wanted to develop those.

I"ll be keeping an eye on this thread before I sign in as my Ranger next for anymore ideas.

Oh and just to let you know I don't have the parser I've seen others talk about no one in our guild uses one when we group with each other. To my guild role playing and having fun are more important then dps, utility etc although they are nice we are very much a casual play at odd hours guild. but I do want to do as much damage as possible as a ranger. While I shall mostly solo and group with my guildmates i have on occasion with my Warden alt joined with a PUG and may do with my ranger not sure so I don't want to come off as a complete newbie although I probably am not having reached my 1st anniversary as an EQII player.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Alenna@Guk wrote:
    Regarding the parser, it is called ACT. Advanced Combat Tracker. It is free and really easy to install. If you are at all interested in doing the most DPS you can, it is a great tool to have at your disposal.
  10. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Ranja wrote:
    thank you for all the help. I'll have to think about the parser, as my guildmates arent ot keen on basing membership or group and raid slots based dps, utility and such but on how well we work as a team. so we shall see.
  11. ARCHIVED-BigChiefJJ Guest

If you have the enough AA points to fill up 2-3 lines of each tree than the build above is great. If you are working your way up and getting one point at a time I think everyone is in agreement that AGI trump all - this is a must have and it should be your first 23 points spent. After that is personal preference, if you group a lot I think the double attack line would be the better place to put points into - if you solo a lot I think snare, leg shot - and fettering would be a better approach assuming you have leg shot before you start putting points into it. I actually don't have any points in defensive stance - I can still get extension and focus going snare - leg shot - focus - Killing Instincts - Honed Reflexes, it might use a few more points but I basically never went into defensive stance so that was 3 wasted points in my opinion.
    ACT is much more than just a program that spits out your dps - it will record your fights and you can review them at the end of the night - this lets you see whats abilities are doing the most damage, how many times your getting your attacks off, how many times your missing (this helps to let you know if you need to concentrate on more gear that helps you hit mobs vs more gear to do more damage). There are also some ‘plug-ins' that let you know when you hit something, which helps timing your autoattacks. Parsers are much more than just a tool to show who does what damage, use them to help everyone out. They let you see what type of damage different mobs do so that if you continuously get beat by the same mob you can develop a strategy to get around what types of damage they do - they show you what attacks the different mobs do and you can set up timers with them to let you know when those mobs will do that attack again.
  12. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Wodreaux says: If you have the enough AA points to fill up 2-3 lines of each tree than the build above is great. If you are working your way up and getting one point at a time I think everyone is in agreement that AGI trump all - this is a must have and it should be your first 23 points spent. After that is personal preference, if you group a lot I think the double attack line would be the better place to put points into - if you solo a lot I think snare, leg shot - and fettering would be a better approach assuming you have leg shot before you start putting points into it. I actually don't have any points in defensive stance - I can still get extension and focus going snare - leg shot - focus - Killing Instincts - Honed Reflexes, it might use a few more points but I basically never went into defensive stance so that was 3 wasted points in my opinion.

I may have to solo on occasion but I will be mostly grouping with my guild mates. so I guess double shot is the way to go if I can I'll put some in the snare for when I do solo or should I try tso get adept 1 or better for CAs in the snare line.
  13. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Ok I did the respec by going to the Achievment Counsel in SQ coudn't see how to move the points from Ranger to Predator or vis versa so I took the points in the predator and put them all in the Agi line to start that(except for the 1 point I needed to start the tree of course) and then all the ranger points in the mulitshot line. any new AA points will be put in Agi till I get enough in the line to put do poised then I'll move and finish the mulit shot line. should I do str or intelligence after that? Tonight I hope with the help my Guildmates plan to give me to do some heavy duty leveling to get at least 2 more AAs. maybe by the end of the month if all goes well I'll be level 50 or 60 and well on my way to keeping up with the top level guildmates I have.

thank you for all your help

hmm I wonder if getting that AA mirror would be worth saving for.
  14. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Alenna@Guk wrote:
    Nice job! You cannot move points from one tree to another. Once you place them in a tree, they are their to stay.

IMHO, your AA progression might look like this:

AGI>Double Shot>Extension(possibly getting their with points in root and snaring avoiding dances with trees)>Conservation>Int>Str
  15. ARCHIVED-Prrasha Guest

Ranja wrote:
    Untrue since last July's GU37.
  16. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Prrasha wrote:
    ok I have some free respecs from cards the counselor gave me I'll give it a try and get that Agi up. then any points will go in the mulitshot line of ranger tree. unless I'm supposed to do it another way has anyone done it yet?
  17. ARCHIVED-Effidian Guest

Regarding WIS v.s. STR, I copied my reply from another thread, so it wouldn't get lost. The following is why STR is more DPS than WIS. Really if you need the deaggro (and you are already running bliss), then you should just back off a bit. That way when the tank you are with *can* hold it, you are set for maximum DPS potential.
    ---
    1% melee crit is a 0.3% increase in melee CA DPS. So, 13.9% melee crit (8 points in Precision of Blades) would be an increase of 4.17% for melee CA DPS. If your zonewide melee is 10% that would be a zonewide increase of 0.417%.
    8 points in Obfuscation would give you an 8% increase in CAs used after either Stealth or Spy. If those CAs (Sniper, Stealth Fire, Kunark Blade, and Combustion Strike) are 10% of your zonewide, that would be a .8% increase. That "seems" pretty good.
    However, there is an issue calculating for Obfuscation. I never use either Stealth or Spy to go to stealth in combat, which are the only 2 arts that Obfuscation works with. Longblade is up every 10 seconds and I just use that to get off stealth attacks, because it does DPS while going to stealth and only take .37 seconds to cast. With 8 points in Obfuscation, Spy takes .5 seconds and Stealth takes 1 second to cast. The damage you do using Longblade is > .8% zonewide. Coverage is even better, at an instant cast and 25.6% increase to the next art (at M1), so *when* you can get that off, it is really nice.
    If Obfuscation worked with Longblade, I think it would be a no brainer to go Obfuscation. However, since it doesn't, the Melee crit clearly benefits us more.
  18. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Was able to move the points from Ranger tree to Predator Tree and now have the AGI line done have started on the mulitshot line of the Ranger tree. I think this build will work well. I went with a guildmate Warden and another of his toons a warlock(he duo boxes)to Runnyeye last night and we cleaned up. of course they were level 70 and 80 respectively and had mentored down but I really felt that I was pulling my weight and not just getting XP from their work. I think speeding up the casting times helped. I am now a Level 38 Ranger and hope to quickly get to the level my guildmates want me to be so I can group with them for the higher zones.

Thank you all for your help.
  19. ARCHIVED-Ranja Guest

Effidian wrote:
    QFE. Effidian, I think you and me are the crusaders for the Str line over Wis. We have been spouting the same stuff about the wisdom line for a long time. :)
  20. ARCHIVED-Anekuh Guest

Effidian wrote:
    Sorry to say, but I disagree. If your tank can't hold aggro, then get a new tank. We have 2 CAs that allow us to deaggro. Use them. Also, delay your attack so that your tank gets a "grip" on the mob.
    As for the rest, I agree Str line is the way to go. I really like the Obfuscation line, but the casting time on Stealth is too long (as well as the recast). The Spy CA is better, but the recast is 15 seconds and Longblade does not work here (if it did, then I would have to rethink my Pred AAs).
    Coverage is another beast onto itself. It has some issues that the Devs need to look at.