Quest Journal

Discussion in 'Developer Roundtable' started by ARCHIVED-Rothgar, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Wizard_Thoarin Guest

I'd like to see the quest journal auto update the crafting window when doing a crafting quest. It would be nice either to have the next item in the crafting quest automatically pop up in the search bar of the crafting window so that I don't have to waste time trying to find the item I need to craft for the quest. If auto update isn't an option, how about clicking the item or item name in the active quest window to auto populate the search bar in the crafting window.
    Also, if the quest requires crafting on multiple stations but you have more then one item to craft per station, having those items related to the crafting station you are at float to the top of the list would be nice. And if you click on an item that requires you to move to another crafting station a message telling us which crafting station to move to would be a bonus.
    This would be of most benefit to Rush order writs, but there are a few others like the TSO tradeskill instances where this could be very handy. It would also be nice for looking up what supplies you need for the crafting quest, especially the ones that use an esoteric crafting recipe book like from Grobb or Tupta.
  2. ARCHIVED-Paddy McGloin Guest

I haven't seen this mentioned and I believe it's somewhat bugged.
    Could you look into the functionality of "Alt ." [Alt and period] switching to the last updated quest in the Quest Helper Window?
    It works fine until a quest is completed and then it stops working.
    For example, yesterday I was cleaning up five old book quests in Zek, easily switching between them after every couple of kills. Once one was complete the Quest Helper jumped to "A Darkened Shard" and would no longer switch with the keyboard shortcut.
  3. ARCHIVED-Stump4 Guest

I'm jumping in way late here and this may have been posted but the Journal UI mod that Fluffy has done is awesome. The best feature is that when I go into any zone, with one click I can see every quest I have not done...... either started or completed. Now he ties that back to a database and if you don't update the database, the list of available quests can be wrong but I'm sure SOE can do this as well.
  4. ARCHIVED-Bridgeplay Guest

This may not be a practical suggestion, but in my opinion EQ2's quest journal needs to be rebuilt from the ground up into something like what Warhammer uses. I didn't care much for Warhammer overall, but their system for quest tracking and game stat info is far ahead of EQ2.
    As for the current EQ2 quest journal, a search function that checks the descriptive text for each quest would be nice. For example, if you're trying to find quests that involve harvesting, enter the word "harvest" in the search text. Can also be used for names of npcs, zonal points of interest, etc. Any text that appears in the quest description.
  5. ARCHIVED-Khonann Guest

Can we please delete any quest? Is there seriously a reason we cant delete some long boring lame quest we will never in our entire lives complete because of the lameness and the "would rather watch paint dryness" of the quest... Why is it that we cant delete some quests? If i dont want to spend 27 hours over 4 days running around doing mundane tasks for almost 0 reward from some Signature quest, why cant i get it out of my life? Seriously... who thought of this idea that you cant delete a quest... I have 4 lvl 80 toons, all of them have lived their lives on EQ2 to the fullest, and all of them have the same 2 danged gray quests in their journals that I cannot delete... and yet, those quests didnt prevent me from leveling up or from enjoying the game... so why cant i delete them?!?
    PS: you guys obviously know that 99.9 percent of the playing population think 75 quests isnt enough... do you not care? Since you took the time to tell us to not bother asking for more quests, you obviously know it is an ongoing concern on a game with thousands and thousands of quests and we can only see 75 of them!?
    I can see that now we can see old gray quest Feathers, it Eliminates some of the need for old quests, but in ROK, even with all my old (deletable quests) deleted.. there are far more then 75 available to me between the different zones. Especially on a PVP server where sometimes its impossible to quest in a certain area because of too much PVP, you want to go quest in another zone, but that can involve having to delete dozens of quests from the other current zones.
    Buy a new flippen server for quests to be stored on ffs if that is the problem..... you can use a bit of the $2 Million you get amonth from subscriptions.... but obviously its a problem that you guys dont give a rats about...
  6. ARCHIVED-DocFlareon Guest

Sprinng@Nagafen wrote:
    Here's the problem with a larger Journal; every time you zone, kill a mob, harvest a node, or click an item, the sysytem goes through your journal and checks to see if any of your quests can/would be updated. The more quests you have, the more lag you have.
  7. ARCHIVED-iceriven2 Guest

I would like to see more then one quest shown on the quest window, nice to visually see which quests u need updates for in an area and when it updates...
  8. ARCHIVED-Zarulm Guest

I would also like to see the ability to delete Heirloom type quests. Yes they can be some interesting lore, but they are part of old-world flagging and we dont need flags anymore. So I propose that we have the ability to delete these quests, once you get to the high end they start taking up valuable quest room.
  9. ARCHIVED-Taum Guest

I would like to see a new tab, Quest Finder, that would allow me to find quests that I don't have, sorted by level, zone, and category.
  10. ARCHIVED-Bratface Guest

Hi,
    I just spent 2 days doing book quests to get them out of my journal, I finished about 50 books and still have more to do.
    When doing the book quests I cannot tell you how much I would have loved a sort by zone ability on the collection journal, figuring out which books came from which zone just by their name is quite difficult.
    I would really like an ability to sort by zone with colections, would make finding stuff while traveling around a lot easier.
    The other thing I would like to see changed is that "show hidden quests" box that I always have clicked, never hid a quest, but yet somehow random quests get hidden and I have to uncheck then recheck the box to get my quests to show again.
    This is a very annoying "feature" that I could live without.
  11. ARCHIVED-ccarro63 Guest

I would love to see a "Tomes" Tab in the journal. Take all the damn tomb collections out of the collection tab all together PLEASE!!!
  12. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

Bland@Unrest wrote:
    http://eq2.fluffy.dk
    There is an add-on to the existing journal and an account you can set up to do this very thing. The mod for the UI also allows you to see which quests are in the current zone you are in that you have not started or completed yet. You might find this useful for the time being.
  13. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

As you might of guessed if you attended Fan Faire or saw this post...
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...topic_id=454184
    ... that the feature I've been referring to in this thread is the new achievement system. If you have other ideas for making the quest journal easier to use, please continue to post those ideas here. Let's keep all of the Achievement comments in the other thread.
    Getting the achievement system finished is the first priority, but if there are any other tweaks I can make to improve the quest journal, I'll work on those as time permits.
    Below is a screenshot of the quest journal changes. This includes the horizontal layout and the Active/Group/Completed tabs being relocated under the "Quests" tab.

[IMG]
  14. ARCHIVED-Dreyco Guest

Looks great! The only question I have is echoing those at fan faire.
    "Can we have it now?" *Laughs*
  15. ARCHIVED-Dragowulf2 Guest

I would like to recommend that you also bring this topic up at EQ2Interface to see what the modding community thinks.
    I'll start it off by saying that I believe there should also be horizontal splitters. Also, horizontal splitters don't work horizontally, but only vertically.
    (I just saw your post 2 posts up)
  16. ARCHIVED-Josgar Guest

Rothgar wrote:
    Please sir... can we have some more? (Space in the journal)
  17. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

ProfitUI currently uses the same vertical layout that was shown at Fan Faire. Which I think was the inspiration for it. So if you can't wait, it's already available as a 3rd party solution.
    As for more than 75 quests in your journal, it's a technical limitation, because quests apparently take up a huge amount of storage per character.
    [IMG]
  18. ARCHIVED-Fendaria Guest

Things I would like to see updated for the quest system....

1) A way to link quests like you can items in the chat window.
    If the quest is shareable, you can get it from the linked quest.
    When you get one of those 'Bottle (1/6)' quest updates on the screen, you can check in your chat log and see something like 'Quest update: Bottle (1/6) for [Gathering Bottles]' where you can click on [Gathering Bottles] and pull up the quest. (Too often I see a quest update and have no idea what quest it is for).

2) A way, for quest required items, to see the status of the quest (much like the legend and lore and collection items). Currently I believe the item just tells you what quest the item is required for. Some example messages you might see are:
    [Jimmy's Lost Knicknack]. This item is required by the quest [Helping Jimmy]. You are currently on this quest.
    [Jimmy's Lost Knicknack]. This item is required by the quest [Helping Jimmy]. You are not on this quest.
    [Jimmy's Lost Knicknack]. This item is required by the quest [Helping Jimmy]. You have already completed this quest.

3) Better group quest handling.
    Yes there is a group tab, but it is still a pain to see what quests you and your groupmates share, and which ones you are missing. In the group tabe I'd like to see all the quests our group is on, something like [Helping Jimmy] (4/6) to know that 4 of the 6 groupmates are on the quest. And perhaps the (4/6) could be colored red if you yourself is not on that specific quest. Thus, I could group quests by 'Thundering steps', see that the group had 12 total quests combined for the zone, and how many of us are on each quest, and if I am already on the quest itself. If you wanted to be really fancy, figure out something so I can see what step each person in the group is on the quest.

4) View more than one quest in quick/hot area (not the UI Quest window). Check the Vanguard UI for this, they do it with 'checked' quests I think.

5) Something to help with figuring out quests that change zones. When sorting by 'zone' I have had quests change zones and pop around on me. It gets very confusing. Maybe allow a new sorting type 'checked' where you can check off quests you want to keep group together you are currently working on. You can then group by checked and unchecked.

6) When you get an item that offers you a quest, have it say (You are already on this quest, you have completed this quest, etc). Yes, a lot of items only drop if you don't have the quest yet, but not all I believe.

Fendaria
  19. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Xethren@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Accually if the Quest is undeletable it does not... or atleast should not... take up any of the 75 quest slots, that was a change made back when it was 50 quests, and collections counted as quests.
    iceriven2 wrote:
    So would they and it is something they are looking at. Not sure what state that is in though.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rothgar Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Not only is it a technical issue, but it's also a "band-aid" fix. If you remember awhile back, the journal used to only hold 50 quests. We expanded it to 75 but now we have the same problem as before. Expanding it to 100 would also only be a temporary solution. The root of the problem (if you want to call it a problem) is that EQII has thousands of quests. Its human nature to get sidetracked and not want to complete them. No matter how big your journal is, eventually it'll get filled again and you'll be back to having to delete quests to make room for more.
    Since we have to draw this arbitrary line somewhere, it might as well be 75 since increasing the journal will add a significant performance hit to character load times, database size, server response times and server memory usage.
    Perhaps one day if we have enough time to review the quest system and make some performance enhancements, we can re-evaluate this request.