Oww!! Me head!

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-Cronyn, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Janathia Guest

Wasn't Luclin breaking up and pieces falling on Norrath what caused the Shattering of the lands? Or am I mis-remembering what exactly caused the Shattering?
    But I tend to agree that the large piece of Luclin sitting in TD would have really devastated the area. Then again...as someone else mentioned the velocity of the pieces from Luclin, I think, would be different from a true meteor/asteriod. So likely the damage would be different.
  2. ARCHIVED-Stump4 Guest

I sure hope the "unintended lore" wasn't about how the Luclin shards got on Norrath without destroying everything in its wake!
  3. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Marilia@Everfrost wrote:
    I believe it was the rending which caused a lot of the damage to the shattered lands.

I dunno.. either way, you'd think it was an event that would be mentioned more than it apparently is.
  4. ARCHIVED-RaphaNissi Guest

Clowd@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    The list of websites would be really good to know. I'm not sure we even found them all.
  5. ARCHIVED-Boyar Guest

Marilia@Everfrost wrote:
    Or perhaps that shard was where the Frobozz Magical Slowfall Apparelâ„¢ warehouse was located, and thus fell much more slowly than the other chunks (and is actually the source from which all the LoN cloaks and the Luclin Boots patterns have been washing ashore :))
  6. ARCHIVED-Neskonlith Guest

Cronyn wrote:

Wow, it's amazing how sometimes those Dwarven karaoke nights can get a little rowdy when someone spikes the keg with a lil Luclin ore dust! This was a fun event, and thanks for grooming ...the clues for us!
    Speaking of karaoke: it's settled lore that no Dwarf ever manages an evening of crooning tunes without abruptly chopping axe-idently into hacked renditions of various ABBA tunes - so here's a friendly encouragement for MORE LORE events like this!!
    [IMG]
    ABBA is currently being ...detained... at an undisclosed tavern, performing 4 nights a week (which also includes a 50 item all-you-can-eat buffet table, available free with coupon).
    Something may or may not happen to or with them, whichever is more amusing - all that is needed to keep the peace is to continue to unveil the Lore as it is discovered. If not, then I'm afraid the gnome might do something inexplicable with sequins, boa feathers and rhinestones.

Are you willing to take that chance?

...take a chance take a chance take a chance take a chance
    If you change your mind, I'm the first in line
    Honey I'm still free
    Take a chance on me...

7. ARCHIVED-sexieladie Guest

I know this is the wrong thread but reading through the previous lore thread that was last time with the Research Assistants notes, what is the name of the book that you are supposed to be able to buy off of the npc sages?
  8. ARCHIVED-Silerua Guest

sexieladie wrote:
    Assistant Researcher's Notes, Vol. 1, Halls of Erudin is the previous one. :)
  9. ARCHIVED-denmom Guest

Meirril wrote:
    Doh, right...I couldn't remember where it was...been awhile since I'd been in there, that was from memory. :)
    TS has craters with shards and bits embedded, and the dead roam around there. Ruins of Karana, iirc. Not sure why the undead walk thru the dead river, tho, or the Graveyard Pool. No pieces there at all.
    Nek Forest doesn't have any, undead walk there, but then again it's the forest of the Dark Elves and Everling, and gods alone know what magics have seeped out of Neriak and Nek Castle into the forest around.
    Nothing in Everfrost, yet there are ice skeletons, but Miragul's there.
    Yanno, the only undead in Feerrot I can think of are the Bouncer ghosts and the ones around the Shard of Fear cave. There's the few undead inside CT in the middle with the eyeballs.
    No undead in Zek, none in Lavastorm until you get to the Temple and Sol Eye. But those are ghosts who are bound/haunting the Temple and Sol Eye due to other reasons.
    Commonlands has undead, but no sign of shards. Then again, it's Freeport and Fallen Gate, seeping Dark Elf and lich magics and all.
    Heh, now I'm thinking over other areas of where the undead walk, lol.
  10. ARCHIVED-denmom Guest

Aurelis wrote:
    SOGA models. /sage nod
    ;)
    But seriously, she's just using that as an example of what happens when something from space drops onto a planet. Lots of damage.
    It's unexplained how you can have pieces of Luclin all over with relatively small craters, not much larger than the piece itself, and not have ripped the world of Norrath apart.
    I gave my theory as magic and portal spells. Those on the moon trying to make things hit less hard and thus destroying Norrath as Luclin broke apart.
  11. ARCHIVED-Silerua Guest

Pheep@Unrest wrote:
    *snickers at SOGA models*
    I fail to see how a cartoon, which often have exaggerated events anyway, is an example... d: If we're putting logic into Norrath, then we should look at something logical: RL. Which there are a fair amount of examples...
    [EDIT: And we can look at an in-game at Venril's Crown in JW, since Norrath isn't RL, for those that argue that point. At least, I hope there aren't wizards in RL (HP fanatics don't count!)...]
    [EDIT2: Oh, but I wanted to ask again... Is Luclin made of luclinite, or is luclinite just an ore there? Someone said the reason that the TD stone doesn't look right to some of us is because it is just a little bit of luclinite and the rest stone. If Luclin is mostly stone with just luclinite ore on it, then why are all the other pieces seeming to be pure luclinite?]
  12. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Aurelis wrote:
    The SOGA models are Korean, not Japanese. As already mentioned, it was the first thing that came to mind as an example of how impacts like that are portrayed. I know it's Anime, but Gundam in general follows the same laws of physics in it's own world as we do on Earth..
    ... I mean... besides the whole giant walking robots thing. Something of that size wouldn't be able to support itself if it actually walked. The leg joints would give way under the weight of the torso..

Anyways. Luclinite is an ore itself. It's true that all the smaller pieces we see around Norrath all glow blue-green. I figure that seeing luclinite in smaller chunks is more likely than in larger pieces. Maybe luclinite can easily be broken down by pressure and heat, which is why we find smaller pieces. That huge chunk there might just be made of mostly granite or some other rock. Then again, we can only see one side of it. Who knows if the other side shines blueish green or not?
  13. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Fist, the Core of Luclin acted as a Dimensional anchor, (this probably also effected the crust as well)
    When the Shatttering occured, we have several "anchors flying about probably with "positive" "negative" and a whole host of other polarities.
    Because of this I think some of the Mass of the Luclin pieces was not fully in Norrath's Dimension when they impacted.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    [IMG]
  15. ARCHIVED-Lleren Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    He said "Magic"
  16. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Lodrelhai wrote:
    Have you noticed the almost complete lack of ocean life in Timorous Deep and its surrounding waters? Just a few fish near the shore, which may have been reintroduced, adapted from freshwater fish, etc.
  17. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

Something to think about:
    The Shattering happened at least 45-50 years ago and it lasted over maybe 15 years as the luclinite pieces rained on Norrath.
    So, some craters may had been eroded over the time since the rocks hit the ground and looked smaller and less detailed. While others like Venril's Crown and Azure Cradle are more recent impacts.
    *shrug*
    Easier to know that the event lasted over a period of time, not a sudden one-day event.
    Still, it should had been more devastating than it appeared in game, though. In certain areas anyway.
  18. ARCHIVED-Homeskillet Guest

[IMG]

About 50,000 years old, 1200 meters in diameter, the meteor that impacted was only about 50 yards across.
  19. ARCHIVED-denmom Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Aye, I know they are. I was just making a joke, which apparently failed miserably.
    /goes back to occasional lurking
  20. ARCHIVED-Silerua Guest

Pheep@Unrest wrote:
    Aww I snickered. *hug*