Mystic vs Defiler

Discussion in 'Priests' started by azcn2503, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean me..I'm sure. :) Raiding Defiler on a TLE server.
  2. Kiry Active Member

[quote="Arcanemundi, post: 6329748, member: 6716" I've been out of the game for a while now, but last time I checked both classes were fairly balanced and have been for many years. [/quote]

Prolly not
  3. Azian Well-Known Member

I created my mystic in 2005 and have played him as such ever since. I betrayed him to a defiler a couple months ago. My ability to keep a tank and my group alive is stronger now as a defiler but not so much that it is game breaking to me. I do miss being able to cast my group ward on the move. The standout differences to me are the heals attached to your wards and power regen on the defiler that make it a more comfortable ride for sure. I suppose I'd miss stampede if it had a shorter reuse but as it is...not so much.

For what it's worth, I didn't betray because I felt mystics were sorely lacking but because I think that 2-handed weapons are awful with the itemization as it is right now and feel that you **** yourself by having to use one rather than a 1-hander with an offhand item. If I were playing my warden much at all I'd likely betray him to a fury for the same reason. It just felt wrong to be using a 1-hander on the mystic.
  4. Kashue Member

Mystics vs. Defilers... I always dislike comparisons because it's hard to take into consideration a player's individual skill set with that class. ANY class comparisons for that matter. I've seen great <Insert class here> and i've seen crappy <insert class here>.
    Personally I think that the true worth of any class relies heavily on the players innate ability to play that class. You know... those subconscious reflexes that let you know when the right time to hit that "OH CRAP" spell or ability, or that knowledge to know when you need to focus on someone else in your group or raid instead of just spam healing the tank.

I have been a fan of the 2-handed weapon on my Mystic for years and only recently switched over to a 1-handed weapon with shield. I honestly haven't seen much DPS loss and have actually gained some extra stats from the combo, but i had to redo a bit of AA to compensate.

All that being said, i've played both classes throughout the years and Mystic will always be my favorite. It's all about what you feel the most comfortable with and love playing.
    Arielle Nightshade and Finora like this.
  5. Finora Well-Known Member

The whole 1hander vs 2hander then never phased me, whichever produced the best overall results was what I used (and still do, for now it's 1 hander). I'll be doing the same with my warden.
    It could be I just have a different view of it since I actually already have a defiler and a fury. While they aren't 100 yet, it wouldn't take too much for me to get them there if I really decided my mystic & warden were too gimpy.
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

The whole post was very well said (IMO), and commenting on this: I've always done whichever would give me tippy top stats - and that's changed FoTM-wise between 2H and 1H/Shield. I prefer 1H and nice Buckler, if there isn't an amazing 2h. I go by stats, not melee ability, but (as mentioned previously) have only played a Mystic for like 3 seconds before betraying back. I'd rather be a caster/healer than melee healer, personal favorite.

I want the best stats a weapon..or weapon/buckler combo will provide for healing, with dps a second choice. It's an old-fashioned way of looking at it, I suppose, but suits how I like to play. Excellent post, though Kashue.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

Ya know? When I made that new Defiler (now my new main), I thought..."Man, I'm sure gonna miss my Mystic's Spirit Tap."

But Malevolent Diatribe works just as well and I get another Heal with the ER proc.
  8. Daalilama Well-Known Member

Main character has been and probably will be temp...with that said I have quite a few healer alts...one of them being a mystic (the channeler/inquis/second temp(don't ask lol) generally are played as needed) ...who is fun to play occasionally...but like was said before....buffs/abilities aside....any healer class played and geared well is a plus to any group.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  9. Kiry Active Member

I think you meant Maelstrom and yeah it doesn't have a 5min cooldown either
  10. Raff Well-Known Member

Yeah...too many alts, too many skills, LOL...thanks for catching that