Mystic vs Defiler

Discussion in 'Priests' started by azcn2503, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

...or are precasting when they see the detrimental being cast by the mob - arguably an advanced healer skill.
    Livejazz likes this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Which is still a form of starting to cast 'sooner' ;)
    Unfortunately ToT has very, very few casting bars for dets that need to be cured.. /grumpyface
    Livejazz, Daalilama and -Soteria- like this.
  3. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

Captains! :D And that annoying arcane effect from that one mob in Masters Chosen... maybe the elemental that hits the tank on the circle curse guy in the x2... What would be nice is a cast bar on that trauma from maldura trash... since it's unwardable and almost kills people... I think precuring stuff is a fun element, would sure love to see it be more of a thing again.
    Livejazz and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

Agreed. On all accounts.
    As far as the maldura trash, it seems to be a 180 frontal, so if the tanks don't pull too many and/or keep them all facing the same way, that det isn't too much of a problem. Of course, if they're going for speed, tanks rarely listen to the healers. Somehow they think dying and rezzing after pulling too many is 'faster' then pulling a few less and NOT dying. :p
    Livejazz likes this.
  5. Raff Well-Known Member

Power leveled a Defiler during dbl xp this week. Geared it up and have been running her in Heroics. I've mained a Mystic for years, but for keeping a tank up and the group healed...I now think the defiler is quite a bit better.

I'm sold.
  6. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Mystic is a really really good class with a ton of utility and solid healing abilities. I just really like a Defiler for downright nastiness. Back in The Day™ a Defiler in pvp was evil - and very fun to play.

Because of that experience, that class has remained my co-favorite along with Warden.
    Livejazz likes this.
  7. Raff Well-Known Member

At max level, my dps is higher too than the mystic. But, omg, if I had to natural level that class by questing from 1-100...I may have have had to take my own life.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

Most mystics I've seen out dps most defilers I've seen.
    For buffage on a melee group, mystics offer more. For buffage on caster groups, defilers offer more.
    Livejazz likes this.
  9. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

HA! I agree. I solo'd one Defiler to 80 (that was max level at the time). The second one was pvp with some but not all AA, so you were a very strong healer and debuffer and HAD to have a group really to actually kill anyone before they killed you.

The 3rd Defiler - on the TLE - no freaking WAY I was EVER going to solo...ever.
    Livejazz likes this.
  10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I've only peripherally played a Mystic (betrayed, couldn't stand it, unbetrayed...) and have always felt that Mystics were a much stronger buffer of melee. Defilers buff Tanks better than casters (IMO). A caster tank - specifically an SK...is really well buffed by a Defiler.

Way back in The Day, the heal classes really did sort of pair with the kinds of tanks they buffed best. Clerics buffed Warriors, Shaman buffed Crusaders, Druids buffed Brawlers - you can still see really diluted vestiges of that even now. All healers can buff tanks, just some are more suited.
    Livejazz likes this.
  11. Azian Well-Known Member

Huh, I would have put that combination as warriors/clerics...crusaders/druids...brawlers/shamans. Particularly given that wards originally were counted before mitigation making them more viable on avoidance tanks. /shrug Not a big deal, just differing recollections I suppose.
    Livejazz likes this.
  12. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I can see what you mean, but I'm talking about buffs. All healers can heal any tank - some easier than others. The useful buffs they used to have were what gave them the pairings I mentioned.
    Livejazz and Mermut like this.
  13. Arcanemundi New Member

I can't believe this debate is still raging after all these years! I've been out of the game for a while now, but last time I checked both classes were fairly balanced and have been for many years. The only time Defiler had a obvious advantage was back in TSO with all the stuns in raids. The Defiler had a stun break that Mystics didn't.

There have been a lot of parses and custom spreadsheet/graphs (mainly over in eq2flames) proving Mystics and Defilers are more similar than they are different. The most important factor is the player, and their skill level with the class. This is difficult to quantify so everyone just ignores it, but it really is the most important factor in performance during raids by far. Burst HPS has always been as high on a Mystic, as it is on a Defiler, and before many nerfs to the Mystic mythical HPS used to be much higher with the Mystic. Check the forums guys. All the main class spells are exactly the same. The difference is the sub-class emergency spells that are on long cool downs, and even then each has it's unique situation, and equally useful, and never has amounted to much in a parse. Mystic may buff DPS groups better, but in the grand scheme of things those same buffs help OT and MT groups as well, and doesn't automatically mean you need to place all Mystics in scout groups.
  14. Kiry Active Member

I love how people that have not played in years come and put in their 2c.

Mystics got shafted this xpac, wet noodles hit harder.
    Yoube likes this.
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

Your experience with mystics is different then mine, both personally and when grouping with mystics, aside from the one mystic who, inexplicably, doesn't melee....
    quisling likes this.
  16. Kiry Active Member

I was not referring to you or your 2c.

However in response, mystics have 1 ability that's actually hits for anything and that's avenging ancestors on a 45s cooldown which defilers also get, you could maybe include the wrath upgrade that all healers get on dragon tree. Previous to the melee nerf nearly all our damage was autoattack (just like the scouts) but unlike the scouts mystic CA damage did not get boosted so it still hits for nothing and is still only useful to proc stuff and maintain UR (which has not changed).

Mystics once were the top DPS healers competing only with the likes of Inq's when people actually played them and sometimes furies on AE fights only. As a result of the melee nerf mystics are now at the bottom of the dps pile below templars. Unless you want to spec and play your mystic a as defiler and actually equip the dumb cloak with doublecast on it as well as replace all your CA's on your hotbar (that you spend your entire mystic tree converting) to spells, spellcasters will always do more dps and you might as well just betray and actually BE a defiler not pretend to be one. If anyone actually bothered to look, mystic group buffs just aren't that great anymore compared to all the other procs and stuff people get, they're way down on the bottom of the list, ward's bane alone does x 5+ more output on the group than anything a mystic buffs plus their cloak is actually useful and equipable. You as a warden maybe haven't felt the melee nerf as bad cuz lulz sandstorm reset on everything and pewpewpew.

If there was any content this expansion that was actually difficult to heal (well Kraletus hits hard but that's about it) then I wouldn't be so concerned about dps output on mystic, however since there's nothing to do in raid while not healing anything and "lulz spirit tap and dps" has no point anymore because "what dps?", mystics are dead in the water boring to play when they used to be super fun.

But yes you are right there will be the mystics that do not melee for some reason or the ones that put the doublecast belts and cloaks on but don't even turn autoattack on and will reply with ohh mystics are fine, yeah they heal fine but they're not the offensive melee healer they used to be, there's more to do on a healer than just spamming heals, any trained monkey can do that.
    Yoube and Sylke like this.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

^ This post sums up perfectly the issues with Mystics (And do a degree Inquisitors/Wardens/Channelers) this expac.
  18. Igotwardzforu Member

How are mystic buffs in RAIDS this xpac? Specifically speaking, mystic ritual, stampede, and full moon? I don't expect much from full moon honestly, but what about the other two? Numbers would be nice <3
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's different when your raid is capped out on crit bonus, but, aside from the one mystic I've mentioned above, all of the mystics I've run with (in and out of raid) are out dpsing the defilers I've run with. Until the crit bonus cap is reached at least, melee priests do just fine on dps.
    The crit bonus cap isn't a 'melee priest' problem, however, it's a melee problem in general. Given that, on average, spells hit for more then combat arts + doublecast only working on spells, once the crit bonus cap is hit ALL melee classes (priest, scout, tank) is going to start hurting on dps. That's a symptom of the, in my opinion, broken crit bonus cap.
  20. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

If your defilers aren't beating your Mystics, they are pressing buttons wrong.

The problem is mystic abilities for dps are junk apart from one, maybe two if generous. Defilers get several more powerful abilities which combined with SDA gives them a favourable boost over Mystics.

The CB cap is not the problem, it's the base abilities of Mystics.

As for the mystic buffs - Stampede is not doing anything impressive at all, and RoA/Full moon are minimal too. Combined all 3 barely match up to wards bane from defiler.

All this added together means defilers can do more overall dps, and pump out a hell of a lot more healing on a lot less effort.
    Yoube, Kiry and Sylke like this.