Mystic vs Defiler

Discussion in 'Priests' started by azcn2503, Nov 2, 2015.

1. azcn2503 Active Member

I often hear that nothing beats Defiler healing. I know that wards are the most powerful heals (wards > reactives > heals), but what exactly is it that makes a Defiler better than a Mystic? I have only played Mystic to 100, and while I understand Defilers also ward, I wanted to know what exactly it is that makes them better for keeping a group alive. Thanks!
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Defilers tend to be better at keeping tanks alive, because they have more defensive boosts then mystics. Mystics buff the group damage more. As a consequence defilers tend to be in the MT groups in raids and mystics tend to be in OT and scout groups.
  3. Airvh Active Member

Yeah Mystics are great even in a tank group raid as long as there is another healer focused on the healing part of it. Like a Warden and a Mystic would be perfect. The mystic keeps the damage from happening in the first place (ward) and the warden has constant Heal over times to keep the tank going when damage does get through. The constant wards from mystic give the warden's Heal over time spells those extra couple seconds needed to refill HP.
    Kuulei likes this.
  4. Mermut Well-Known Member

Warden/Mystic is a great combo.. both for defense and buffage
    Kuulei and Raff like this.
  5. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

I'm noticing this on my Mystic, sad thing is I haven't actually healed a group with her. It's readily apparent though, that I'm more offensively focused lol.

I'm really starting to miss the sorta-balance and two healer groups of the EoF-RoK era to an extent XD

Slight question in regards to mystic though; is there any way you can actually set your AAs up to make large direct heals viable? Everyone I've talked to, including a couple from top end raid guilds, are saying that you may as well leave that to the Warden...would suck if there's no Warden, such as in Heroics.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Large direct heals aren't viable as a primary source of heals for ANY healer this expansion.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  7. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Shaman in general aren't capable of direct healing. Their ability to heal is based on the group / target not taking damage in the first place. If a Shaman tries to heal without using Wards, they are doing it completely wrong and will fail miserably in any content that is remotely challenging.
    Arielle Nightshade and Anaogi like this.
  8. Wards Member

absolutly wrong dude ...
  9. Wards Member

that changed like 3 expansions ago
    -Soteria- likes this.
  10. Sudedor Well-Known Member

So, your position is that a Shaman can heal without casting a single Ward?
  11. Wards Member

yep ... do u know about totemic protection and ancestral channeling ? about reset mechanics tru prestige aa ? combined with the etheral 1h ? nightmares ? malstroem ?

thats kinda T7, a lot has changed ...
  12. Wards Member

ah sry i am talking about defiler, mystic isnt that good if it comes to heals
  13. Ebofu Active Member

this makes me sad
  14. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Bout time you rolled a fury anyways, don't u think? :-o
  15. Koko Well-Known Member

lol, this is the best thread on the forums.
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

If you think mystics can't heal, you've only played with bad mystics...
  17. Orphi New Member

I have played both at endgame/leveling/TLE and when it comes to healing Defiler is just too much fun.
  18. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Oh, I know Totemic "Protection" quite well. I spec'ed it for about 2 weeks during raids as part of a "Pure Heal" spec. Not once - NOT ONE SINGLE TIME - did Totemic "Protection" even pull in 1% of my total heal parse. Tried it on myself, tried it on tanks . . . it just doesn't pull weight.

Ancestral Channeling you say? Yes, it's a fantastic spell . . . once every 90 seconds. Reset mechanics? Oh, you mean how there is a tiny chance when casting WARDS that AC will have it's recast reset? Sure, I know all about that, but wasn't the whole point of the discussion healing WITHOUT Wards?

Ethereal 1H? Oh, you mean the thing that like 1% of the population has? That thing? I'm sure that's a great comfort to most Mystics. *rolleyes*

Maelstrom? Oh, I'm sure it's at least terrible, it might even make it up to sub par. Waiting 5 seconds for a heal tick sounds like a great way to get people killed. It is a fine power regen, I'll give it that. But heal? I've never seen it make an impact on our Defilers heal parse. Oh, and 50% uptime. Not fantastic.

Nightmares? Huh. Not Mystic, not Defiler. Love to know what that is. Illusionists have a debuff / DoT called Nightmare.

It's pretty simple. In any sort of challenging content, Shaman must Ward to keep their group alive. That's how the class was built, that's how the class plays. For the last 11 years.
  19. Sylke Well-Known Member

Except for the Dark Ages (aka ToV), but yeah :p
    Lateana likes this.
  20. Wards Member

i dont think they are bad healers they just have lik 20-30% lower healpotential then defilers due to aa and couple mechanics ... and sudedor of course is a defiler supposed to use their wards ... but its just not necessary with soulshackle totemic protection and ancestral channeling plus 1h eth ... and even with the defiler cloak u can just stand there and hit damage spells for ages even solohealing hard content in mt grp ... everything else is a waste of time ...