Monks are to broke

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Wanand, Dec 9, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Feysteel Cestii's like mine are lvl 34. Take the skill required and divide by 5. So 215 would be 43.
  2. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

Make a character on Guk. We have a few 35+ monks that know how to play their class ;)
  3. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

These?
    [IMG]
    2.0 dealy, +21 power, +24 health, +6 agi, +6 str 18-54 @ 36 20-59 @ 39.
    Cestii of the Master is better :eek:
    Message Edited by Gage-Mikel on 12-10-2004 09:17 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-Wanand Guest

My equipment is very good the only bad item i have is my hat have yet to find a good one with stats for light armor, well i have but people are idiots and think they can charege 2pp for them.

if i am soloing a a green group mob with my monk

I go brawlers adept 3
    Charge in there click the highent delfection skill line
    toughness
    call to arms (don't really need it but might as well)
    then i start of with my dps skills re clicking anything that fads spaming HO's
    I make sure mob mobs are behind as well all know cannot mitagate **mods 4 teh win!!1!** from the back

And i have yet to beat one i cannot see where i am going wrong if i am pls say would love to hear it from you people who claim to me masters and can play a monk so well

I can tank and do tank very well, with a shm in grp a monk is a good tank no problem keeping agro at all

My grief is with the fact that guardian on green group mobs aviod more then me this is not just from talking to players this is from playing the charecters for myself, if it is against a blue+ mob ii am not disputing that i might avoid more (still not enough tho)

Anyone saying they can out dps a ranger or assassin with there monk need to play with a good ranger or assassin belive you me we don't come close, i am unbiased i have played both classes to a mid lvl and they both have flaws but a ranger and assassin dps pls don't try and compare them to a monk.

I have cetsi fist waiting for me in bank for when i get 34 i always have some of the best equipemt avalibale for me at all times

So all the sly comments trying to suggest i have no idea how to play, we can drop that **mods 4 teh win!!1!** right now i am a very skilled players of all classes i play

Also i did play a monk in beta to 26 played almost all class types to 20 in beta so i know how far they have come , but somthing is cleary not correct wither it be guardians are over powered or monk mitagation not working correclty

Message Edited by Wanand on 12-10-2004 09:49 AM
    Message Edited by Wanand on 12-10-2004 10:27 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-Coraz2 Guest

That's one pissed looking grimace.
  6. ARCHIVED-Huflung Guest

He can strain all day, but it just won't come out.
  7. ARCHIVED-WackyDakky Guest

It's a 25+ 1h quest mace in TS (approx 25-76 at 26 @2.5).

You need to find a better round shield. The 20+ shields have a big AC boost compared to the lower ones. I don't know where to find one offhand, just the market.
  8. ARCHIVED-Coraz2 Guest

I find using shields is demeaning to the monk class.
  9. ARCHIVED-Loupson Guest

You know, I was nervous about following my chosen profession (monk) when I began reading all these "my monk can't tank and he can't dps WAAAAAAAAAAAH!" posts, but a few people (like Gage) helped me maintain hope. So, I continued on.

A couple of nights ago, I finally hit 20 and was stoked. First thing I did was find some double arrow greens to try and solo, thinking "let's see if this hype about not being able to tank is true."

The first one I tried, I killed without losing a single health point. Not one.

Now, I know there will be naysayers that say "ya cuz he was green and when I try to solo a double arrow orange mob he just OWNS me! Not fair! :("

But, well, no one should be soloing those types.

Yes, casters hurt us a bit more than other tanks, and when we do get hit, it hurts a bit more, but hey, I think our strengths more than make up for those weaknesses. And again, we've been told by the mods that, in some situations, some sub-classes will tank better than others.

I'm fortunate...my bro that I duo with is a Shaman Mystic and, well, we just rock.

Not only do I rarely die (or even get orange health, for that matter) when we play together, but my dps is by far better than any other tank I've seen (haven't seen any bruisers of course...I assume they do even a bit better).

Last night, we were grouped with a bard, and I was easily out-damaging him. Now, of course, the bard is probably the lightest damage dealer of the scout class, and he was a level below me, but still, to be able to out-damage even the lightest dps-er of the the scout line and tank as good as we do is just amazing.

Hm, maybe I better stop before Sony comes in and nerfs this class that I love so much :).

I can't wait to finish the armor quests...just starting on aq2 tonight. Despite all the nay-sayers, I think it looks pretty freakin' sweet. A lot better than the brown leather looking stuff I been wearing for several levels now.

/steps down from Fan-boy soap box

P.S. Hey Gage, 2 questions about Cesti's:

1-do they do slashing damage? (am i gonna need to be leveling up slash to use 'em?)

2-are the animations with cesti's equiped the same as bare-fisted? cuz i love that animation, and can't seem to find any good fist-wraps to equip.

Thanks.
    Message Edited by Loupson on 12-10-2004 03:08 PM
    Message Edited by Loupson on 12-10-2004 03:22 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

1) Yes, slashing. 2) Nope, all new animations.
  11. ARCHIVED-Cyngii Guest

I haven't a clue where your problems are coming from. Green mobs haven't posed much of a threat to me as of yet, and it doesn't seem that too many on the peeps on this board have probs with greens. Although, from lower levels i still tend to stay away from casters (old habits die hard). Since i am still newb monk greens to me are still in high teens and don't have the level 20+ boost, and I'm sure things will be a bit harder in a couple levels, but greens are for the most part a joke right now. Heck fighting green double up arrow melee mobs are fun. I might get hit twice the whole fight on average.

i'm not sure if others are experiencing the same thing, but I get compliments from healers on how well i tank and how they prefer Monk tanks in general. It's kinda hit or miss though just like a lot of things in this game. Some people prefer scouts for DPS, others prefer mages... some prefer plate tanks as MT others prefer monks... I have no prob with being a secondary tank, and usually am since a lot of groups are hellbent on having a plate MT, but I know we can tank right with them as I end up tanking a lot of mobs they die to.

As far as buffs go. The only 2 that I really worry about right now are Brawler's Stance and Call to Arms. I think that CtA is pretty important as it makes up from the skill hits we take from Brawler's Stance. I think that Brawler Stance App 3 knocks your weapon skills down around 8 pts and Call to Arms gives around 7. I'm not sure on the exact numbers there but I'm pretty sure that with both enabled my crushing skill is 109/110. I rarely use toughness, as it doesn't seem to do much and the short duration is more of a pain than anything else. The only stat that i've seen it effect has been Defense which with Adept 1 at level 21 it adds 20 i think... I'm not sure if going from 600 defense to 620 makes that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Bruisers get a skill that increases their defense by 1000... what's 20 going to do?
  12. ARCHIVED-Wanand Guest

13. ARCHIVED-Dovifat Guest

Hate to break it to you but everyone can solo a green^^ at level 20. 20 is a treshold for players as well as mobs, both get a considerable boost. So, soloing a green^^ at lvl 20, you got that boost already, the mob didnt.
  14. ARCHIVED-Musashi- Guest

If you want to be a very effective Tank use a shield...

also had 2 of these made for me yesterday.. Game wide firsts.. they work pretty darn good
    http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/item.vm?itemId=16352
    steel forged knuckles
  15. ARCHIVED-Coraz2 Guest

Green ^^ centaurs own me at 25, hit for like 400.
  16. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

No class is meant to solo ++ mobs, period. Just because you can every once in awhile doesn't mean anything.
  17. ARCHIVED-Densetsu Guest

Yes, you hit 20. At 20, your damage output increases immensely, and you have the deflection skill of a level 27.8 Monk. You were soloing mobs below 20. There is absolutely no reason why any green at 20 should be able to beat a Monk.

You know the deflection skill you have? The one that's as high as a level 27.8 Monk? At level 27.8, your deflection skill will be equal to that of a level 27.8 Monk.

While I can tank at 28, it's NOWHERE near my tanking abilities back when I was 20. It's not really a valid comparison.
  18. ARCHIVED-Coraz2 Guest

That was my point, silly. Everything with ^^s has quad barrage quickstrike +5 vorpal attacks that hit for 20,000% of their normal damage.

PS I'm tanking in cove of decay in lieu of a 23 guardian and group is mystified.
    Message Edited by Coraz2 on 12-11-2004 09:30 PM
  19. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

I was just backing you up of course ;)
  20. ARCHIVED-Coraz2 Guest

Of course.

Long reply