Lu 21 ...

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Tasye, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Huntress Jellica Guest

I've only read about half the replies on this thread, but I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so..

Since LU21, has anyone been using Bounty? Has it worked for you if you have? Last night when I was in a group it didn't seem to be working, even though I was getting in a few kill shots every now and then (hard to do when the wizard in the group likes to wait so she can get the kill shot herself). I figured it might be because I was being mentored, which of course isn't a good reason for it -not- to be working, but I thought that might explain it. So I let it slide. Then later that night I wasn't tired, so I went to Tenebrous and did some solo writs, solo, and I tried using it, but I was getting nothing from it. Every kill was -mine-, yet I didn't have any silver rolling in.

Just wondering if anyone's noticed this, or if it's just me. Since Sony supposedly tweaked Bounty and put it on a 3 minute reuse timer instead of 5 (and that seems to be working all right), I wonder if they broke the actual money making part of it.. :smileytongue:

Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:
  2. ARCHIVED-Shadeslay Guest

Tried out the changes some last night, for only playing a half hour I did like the feel. Seems we play like a range class again, not to sure it's going to stay like this though, seems a bit much. DPS is still seems low, didn't seem to get much from the changes. Still parsing consistantly 200 under my swashbuckler, with some rare ranger spikes. I should mention ranger pasrses are all over now but with the 10 second dps buff that just got changed is the only time my ranger can touch my swashies DPS, but if my swashy uses his (3) there's no way my ranger is even coming close.;)

Edit: I should mention I'm rusty with my ranger & this is solo.
    Message Edited by Shadeslay on 03-24-200609:47 AM
  3. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Hahahahaa... so if you like something about the game or the class, you're a fanboi.
    But if you don't like something about the game or the class, you're a whiner.
    <grabs popcorn, plunks down on the couch>
  4. ARCHIVED-Mirdo Guest

Fence sitter! The worst of the lot :p

Mirdo.
  5. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

HA! I'm just gonna watch the fights and occasionally throw popcorn to instigate and obnox people. ;) They're gonna get bent out of shape anyway, so why not help them along? I'm compassionate like that. :D
  6. ARCHIVED-Racmoor Guest

I believe the term you are looking for is "Ad Hominem", and I agree completely.

Thanks much, I knew there was a term for it, but to much bad living must have killed those brain cells. :)

Tobi
    56 Ranger
  7. ARCHIVED-Mirdo Guest

The only people I really object to commenting on the changes are those that haven't even tried them! Or those that recount their first hand experiences when they don't seem like they have the first grasp of how basic skills work. I'm not talking about being uber or a rocket scientist - just knowing which skills will increase damage, which will root and stun etc...
    Mirdo.
  8. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

I'm guilty of commenting before experiencing this time, but I think I said as much in my post - like "these don't sound all that helpful but I'll have to play for a while before I know for sure" or something? I dunno, but.. forgive me? :)
    <throws popcorn at Cat>
  9. ARCHIVED-illumin Guest

Not sure how I feel about the new changes...definately a new style of playing
    I'll have to give it more of a go before I can really say if it's something i enjoy...until now LU20/21 my play style has always been the same (mostly ranged, a little melee).
    DPS has been fixed...the fact that I wasn't getting killed 100% of the time while soloing was proof of that...I think the real issue now is whether or not the new play style is going to suit everyone...the fact that the timer for key skills (focus aim) is even longer than I'm used to waiting is kind of a damper on the damage bonuses, and that a good percentage of the damage appears to be coming from autoattack...i always thought of autoattack as filler...not something that i should depend on for dps...also it might be nicer if the bow autoattack worked from range 0 :smileyvery-happy:
    now the big question is anyone know the numbers between adept1, adept3 and master1 for focus fire??? i'm at work and cant check the numbers yet...and it definately needs to be upgraded :smileyvery-happy:
    Message Edited by illumin on 03-24-200610:44 AM
  10. ARCHIVED-Mirdo Guest

Oh go on then as it's you and you're usually pretty reasonable :p

Seriously though try them and think about getting in Focus and instinct lines as often as possible. Also consider autoattack damage as an imortant part of what we do now. Unfortunately, that means no more iron / tin arrows if you really want to stay on top :(

Mirdo.
  11. ARCHIVED-Katsugen Guest

I didn't notice recliam arrow was adjusted, so my impressions so far might need to be adjusted. I was pretty annoyed to see my grizzy bow unchanged. From the test feedback it looked like the CA dmg increase would barely move us up. Focus Aim is rather nice tho, and I'm surprised how many CA's I can get off in that 10secs. I raid every other nite, and we have some rather good players. Before U20 I could parse #1 on a whim, with minimal effort, and all of it ranged. Post U21 half the time I was landing about 5-6 on the list sometimes below zerkers and monks. Last nite was better, but not much. I was still below the wizzy's, summoners, and assassin, but thats where I was before. The gap is slightly better, but still over 100dps. Long fights I tend to do very good w/ dps, especially if the wizzy's go oop. I did make it to #2 on the parse last nite, but only cuz the wizzys and summoners died in AE and the death bug forced them to relog (assassin still beat me by 150dps). Now I'm ot crying for crazy dps. I just feel we need a little bump to move us a little closer in dps range to the rest. This patch was a start, it certianly moved me closer. And now I know that the reclaim arrows is fixed, I should be even closer. I just hope that my eventual bow fix will get me where I want to be. It's getting close, just a few more tweaks. Trap fixed, bird stealth fixed, more items w/ +ranged.
    As for stream, i used it twice pre-nerf. I had re-rolled and just got it when the change came. I use it now only when mob has deadly AE and all my CA timers are up, and I'm low power. I actually think it's pretty good for that situattion, but I wish it used no power at all. But with the bumps to auto atk (bow w/ better DR and T7 claimed arrows) since stream is kinda slow it might not even be as good as auto atk. Will have to check into that. I don't solo, but I did try out lunge and at master1 stuns for the full duration. I actually might need to test this, it seems w/ such a quick recast that this might need to be changed (recast time not duration). But since I don't really solo I'll leave that up to them to comment on. So overall, quick response for soe who generally can't fix themselves out of a paper bag, although alot of stuff was over looked, it's a step in the right direction. The ranger community just needs to remind soe to keep taking those steps and that they are not quite done with us.

-Katsugen
  12. ARCHIVED-Bithnar Guest

I do the CA's between Auto-attacks? I never knew that :smileytongue: (im being a smarty-pants)
    I Solo mostly so Bow CA's get used on the pull and now when I can root/stun the ugly bugger trying to rip my face off
  13. ARCHIVED-Stormhawk Guest

On a side note with auto-attack, critting for over 2k with a poison proc and quick shot makes me all giggly.
  14. ARCHIVED-watchout1138 Guest

You may not like the skill, and you may think i was dependent on it, but the bottom line is this. I can do NOTHING else while stream of arrows is going, so for 30 seconds i must rely solely on the dps from stream of arrows alone. I can do 37% more dps with just auto ranged attack and thats without using my killing instinct. Whats the point in using the skill? Perhaps you fail to see the logic there but quite frankly that is idiotic. If i can do nothing else while streaming it should do more dmg than my auto attack period.
  15. ARCHIVED-lilmohi Guest

I haven't actually checked but can we even buy tin arrows anymore? I saw something about low level gear not being listed on vendors but haven't looked around any.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

I'll try parsing some tonight and see how it changed. FYI pre-LU21 I was doing about 300-450dps in group-buff situation in KOS sanctum. A much less well-equipped monk 2 levels higher was doing 400-550. (dps monk, not MT) I expect with the changes that I might equal him but not surpass him, since I expect about 100dps to be added. A poor-played assassin without high level skills/gear from what I could tell was doing 500-600. Ow.

My impression has been that perhaps with a better parry rate our DPS could be a lot better. There's an insane amount of blocked/parried CAs and auto-attacks. I'm not sure if it affects melee classes. Honestly, my wizard gets about the same % of resists compared to my parries only when fighting orange mobs.

My best DPS comes from fights where the auto-attack procs a lot, so it's already a bit up and down from that. When you add in the parries, ranger dps is really all over the place. My wizard has a much more narrow dps range in comparison.
  17. ARCHIVED-Mirdo Guest

Bowyer in the baubble is still selling iron arrows - not much good really unless you don't mind not doing the extra damage AA now generates.

Oh and with regards to SoA. Iirc the ancient teachings weren't designed to scale with level or be replaced? So by 65 the usefulness of that spell should be well on the wane anyway (when the next weird skill is given)? I know it's pretty bad now - probably worse than natural degrading would account for but doesn't it mean that it would have been virtually dead by lvl 70 regardless of the proc nerfs? The biggest problem seems to be it's output in the 55 to 65 range. I could be wrong - I so often am :)

Mirdo.
  18. ARCHIVED-Lohkei Guest

At first look I knew they broke the trap from the update. From playing the original EQ I am used to patches and repatches and more repatches. I think the DPS problem is with the fact that most of us rangers have App1 and 2 skills maybe even some Adept 1 to 3's. So the rare Rangers that have mostly all "Masters" do way to much DPS. So in order to balance them they goof up the poor players that can't afford to buy the 4 to 7 pp scrolls. As far as the update I'll take any increase in DPS tell they get it right.
  19. ARCHIVED-TabulaRasa Guest

Stream of Arrows was procing poison, gleaming strike and Arrow Flurry for me last night on multiple shots rather than just the first. I didn't have any procs from my dual wielders, so no idea if those work or not now, but doubt they do.
  20. ARCHIVED-Serventof Wrath Guest

Not posting to be a fanboi or a whiner just saying what I did last night and if you find it useful your welcome...if you don't find it useful then I'm sure Jay has plenty of popcorn you can help him throw :smileytongue:
    Did I have fun last night.....YES.....but I always have fun so no big surprise.
    Solo for about 2 hours last night could have grouped just didn't feel like it.
    For the record Focus rocks!!! I started out last night with a caster mob (I wanted something that wouldn't rush right at me) Focus > Triple > Precise > 1 auto bow shot = dead mob. Now let me explain before you call bullcrap. Even con no arrow solo mob all 3 arrows from Triple hit and crit, both arrows from Precise hit and crit, the auto bow shot hit, crit, and procced gleaming and poison. Now this never happened again the rest of the evening but just seeing it happen once lets me know it could happen again. :) I did not see a crit on sniper or stealthy (but it sure wasn't from lack of trying) I did get crits from Focus on every other ranged CA I tried.
    Melee was fun as well. The new root gives a whole new option to my HO/Ranged CA/Backstab dance. Before I would use Cheap shot and then it was a choice between back pedal and fire or go for the backstab now I can have it all. I would pull with Stealthy or a combo of Leg Shot/Debilitating. Then Lucky Break > Snipe > Lunge (Ringing Blow :) ) > back pedal and Triple > Rip (always need arrows) > PBS > Precise > (If its still kicking) Lucky Break > Cheap Shot > (run through mob) Longshank > Direblade and pull next mob :)
    Now Trap was borked last night but they know about it so no reason to cry here. I still pulled group (not heroic) mobs without the trap just hit Dance of Trees and watch the parry/miss display :) Still able to get ranged CAs off in the fight just no stealth backstabs until the last mob.
    Overall no I wasn't doing Pre LU20 damage but I also wasn't praying for procs for all my damage. I was able to deal damage and hold my own that even with adds a little def stance and some skill saw me win more then I had to Evac from. :)
    Again like I said I had Fun last night.

OolanWoodswraith
    60 Ranger Najena
    Explicit

Message Edited by Serventof Wrath on 03-24-200603:20 PM