I remember when I tried eq2 before conjurers could offer a bit to groups, still true?

Discussion in 'Conjuror' started by ARCHIVED-jay777, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

I alted a mage in eq1 loved it, but when I tried this game before I did not like the pets but I know they changed since then, and people where saying they offered a bit of utility for groups and consistent dps, and conjurers where a versatile fun class to play.

So what is the current state of the conjurer?
  2. ARCHIVED-Rhadamanthys Guest

They have this really OP AA ability called Elemental Blast. They can do some pretty insane DPS because of it. They offer utility, but I don't think any group actually needs a conjuror specifically. They are quite versatile, however, and so they are fun to play.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Right now, Conjurors are a high-octane DPS class with a few useful utility spells and AAs such as Elemental Toxicity and Runes of Geoticism. However like all classes in this game, you don't reach your full potential until you approach the level cap, get a few key pieces of gear (like your epic), and have a large number of AAs under your belt.
    Whenever it was that you last played EQ2, Conjurors nowadays are nothing like they were when you played them; they are in fact in the best shape they've been in since release.
  4. ARCHIVED-mykei Guest

if you max everything you will almost be asked to group. this means you need highend gear and all your aa's. the gear is hard to come by if you dont have a support guild or group that is willing to help you. conjurors solo nicely and can level 0-90 solo. after this last expansion the necro is really more of a useful class for groups, their dps is better and they offer more useful buffs... if you really want to be useful play a healer or tank class, the average conjuror is not the high end dps as people will lead you to believe.
  5. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

mykei wrote:
    I disagree, at least as far as the most recent game update goes. There is a plethora of extremely powerful summoner gear now available to your average casual Conjuror from instances and battlegrounds. Compared to equally geared sorcerers or other DPS classes, we're on-par with what they can do
  6. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

I'm awfully curious about all these buffs that Necros get that are so useful to a group. Do tell.
  7. ARCHIVED-mykei Guest

conjuror like any other eq2 class can be fun to play. if you define fun as being needed and get groups as you log in then you maybe out of luck there. conjuror fun factor is high for people that like to solo or have a guild that only has a few conjurors (you will almost never see more than one conjuror at any given raid). we can solo well and have nice dps if you get your spell sequence down with the right gear. BGs are fun if you like pvp EQ style and the gear is very nice, but the best gear is had from raids and groups (crafted also). they have fixed the conjuror but it is not the end-all class.
    i was joking about the necro's!
  8. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

I am not seeing any facts here how conjurers are not needed or wanted in groups, even the guides ive read say it is silly to say it is a solo class because it can do both and offer groups some unique things. Now if it is anything I learned in mmorpgs most pet classes do offer something, anyways your just telling me they can solo and not needed in groups which does not tell me much, I appreciate the effort but id rather get someones experience not a biased opinion thank you.
  9. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Like I said jay777, Conjurors are a force to be reckoned with. We're solid soloers, solid single target DPS, solid AoE DPS, solid DPS on raids. Everything about the class is solid, except for our utility being fairly light until you get Elemental Toxicity and Runes of Geoticism, but our DPS more than makes up for it.
    And this is coming from a Conjuror that has been playing the game since before release.
    Unfortunately the thing holding this class back is player perception. There are a LOT of terrible Conjurors out there that make the class look bad, whereas in the hands of a skilled player the class shines.
  10. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

I see, thank you I am glad to hear it. As I am not a big dps junkie I thought maybe our pets could offer things to the group maybe off healing or and off tanking with earth pet or something, or even debuffs even a snare is a debuff.
  11. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

If you aren't a DPS junkie, this is probably not the class for you. This class is, at it's core, a DPS class with a touch of utility. I don't want to short sell our utility, some of it is quite nice, but in the end, if you aren't getting into Conjuror because you want to be a DPS class, you are probably getting into the wrong class.
  12. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Banditman wrote:
    Agreed. If you want utility and not DPS, you're better off playing an enchanter, bard, or healer.
    Conjurors do have crowd control abilities (root, snare, short stun, short aoe daze, and our pet can off-tank mobs if they aren't too powerful), but they are very limited. In all practicality crowd control is rarely used these days.
  13. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

I never said I do not enjoy dps or could not im just not a dps junkie which means I do not have to have dps or feel insecure without high dps, low dps meh but I am happy with moderate, and if anything wizards are high dps not conjurers, conjurers are consistent dps.
  14. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Not trying to pick on you, but as a Conjuror it's your job to put out as much DPS as you quite possibly can. Again, Conjurors are a high-DPS class. We can often go toe-to-toe with Wizards, if not outright surpass them.
    If you're not insecure without high DPS, then this is not the class for you.
  15. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

How do you know? Do you even know me in real life? You do not know if im enjoying it or not, maybe you did not read but I enjoyed mages in eq1 and they had dps like they do now, again I never said I do not enjoy dps classes and I am pretty sure it is a matter of opinion that conjurers are out dpsing wizards outright as you say when conjurers do not rely on burst dps that makes no sense, now in longer fights it would since conjurers do consistent dps.

Anyways please just refrain from assuming the class is not for me your opinion is noted thank you.
  16. ARCHIVED-Alfeo Guest

I think what people are trying to tell you Jay, is theres alot of misconceptions about the summoner classes. Particularly based on how people sometimes play them. For RoK and TSO especially the classes weren't considered good because most didn't know what they could bring and they ended up being regarded as some sort of discount sorcerer that had no business in a raid. This wasn't entirely true, both classes could still put out some numbers through alot of hard work but our utility was pretty much negligable and those numbers if you could get them were all you had. Now we have a little more utility, but most min/maxers consider our stuff to be optional. Nice to have but not necessary. Thus its the same as RoK/TSO in a way, if we bring anything its DPS. Our utility is very much a secondary role and considered of minor importance compared to our dps.
    Now if you only group/solo and never want to raid then you can do what you like and only a few people would give you a hard time about it. But if you try to play conjuror as a utility class and don't worry about maxing dps then no serious raiding guild is gonna give you the time of day. If you are okay with this then so be it but thats just how it stands. If you want to raid and play a class that has beloved vital utility and less an emphasis on parsing, you want to play an enchanter. (though dps is so important in today's raids im sure many chanters would also balk if I said dps was less important for them =P) But you can get away with that definitely more than being a "Utility" summoner.

Edit:
    Summoners btw are very much close to sorcerors right now parse wise given the same buffs. If you don't believe that then fine, go look over some parse threads if you don't want to take the word of some actual raiding summoners :/

Also, the main thing I wanted to say, is not to discourage you but to make it clear, if you are intending to play a conjuror. You are playing a dps class above anything else.
  17. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

I think I am smart enough to not play a conjurer as a main utility role, I never gave that impression once, I asked if we had any utility not if we where mainly utility, and to be honest id rather take advice from people who have fun with there classes and not feel the need to constantly power game and build them how they want.
  18. ARCHIVED-Alfeo Guest

jay777 wrote:
    Well then there was a misunderstanding at some point. Cause based on the conversation I thought you were looking for a more utility role but I apologize for misreading that. Well I guess that would answer your question anyways, conjurors are definitely a minor utility role still compared to the real utility power houses of coercer/illusionist. We are 100% a DPS class in non-solo situations.
    As far as utility we have goes though, elemental toxicity is probably our most unique/appreciated ability (Necros have this too). it helps your group do alot of damage in an encounter fight and helps mobs keep off squishies so its really quite nice. Just be warned if you use it with your mage pet as a tank in solo that the pet can proc it enough to get the mobs to run to you if you aren't chain casting yourself.
    And I'd also like to point out that I do have alot of fun with my class and I'm pretty sure most of the people who post in this forum do too. You just have to understand the class has been through a ton the past two expansions with people in general considering the class to be crap so sometimes its easy to get defensive because some of us have been defending the viability of this class in raids now for a long while. Hell even now, some guilds still don't like summoners even though theres no reason at all to be anti summoner at this point on a basis of thinking they dont contribute enough to a raid. Though thats a minority opinion, its still around.
  19. ARCHIVED-jay777 Guest

Thank you for being so patient and kind to me, I was expecting something defensive but you stepped up I respect that again thank you.

I think I will enjoy it although I noticed from the spell list that there was not as many elemental attacks I was hoping for I do understand some of them come from pets though, I was hoping atleast some of the animations would change as you level. Still I might still enjoy it.
  20. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

jay777 wrote:
    There's definitely more elemental attacks than the spell list has you believe.
    Fiery Magician - Fire elemental pet. Casts almost completely Heat damage.
    Aery Hunter - Air elemental pet. Its combat arts are almost completely Cold damage.
    Fiery Annihilation - Heat damage
    Ice Storm - Cold damage
    Winds of Velious - Cold damage
    Blazing Avatar - Heat damage
    Elemental Unity - Heat and Cold damage
    Elemental Toxicity - Heat and Disease damage (only deals Disease damage because Necros get this AA too).
    Elemental Blast - Heat damage
    Roaring Flames - Fire elemental swarm pets. Deals heat damage.
    Aqueous Swarm - Water elemental swarm pets. Deals cold damage.
    Hydromancer - Water elemental pet. Though its completely useless in practicality :/
    Fire Seed - Heat based buff
    Flameshield - Heat based damage shield
    Elemental Aspect - Elemental based defenses
    You can also think of our magic damage spells as being Earth elemental damage. For game mechanics reasons its Magic damage, but our spells are definitely earthen in name:
    Earthen Avatar - Earth elemental pet. Deals Magic (Earth) attacks
    Crystal Blast - Magic (Earth) damage
    Shattered Earth - Magic (Earth) damage
    Earthquake - Magic (Earth) damage
    Petrify - Magic (Earth) attack
    Quicksand - Earthen root (quicksand = dirt)
    Geotic Rune - Earthen based defenses
    Stoneskin - Earthen based defenses
    And let's not forget that the Conjuror deity of choice is Solusek Ro, the Burning Prince.