Heroic Crafters when ????

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by CowKiller, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Deveryn Well-Known Member

"No plans" is really just the most polite, non-binding way to say no or never. You can try bringing up the suggestion every so often, but the rest of us in the community would appreciate the use of /feedback, as we really don't need to go through this discussion every time.

What happened with beastlord is you probably had enough people asking for the feature (I don't see that happening with either suggestion here). It also happened to line up with the plan of releasing feature packs.
    Morfydd likes this.
  2. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

LoL I am happy to know you are able to speak for what the rest of the community wants:) Believe it or not, I rarely ask for something that hasn't been asked of me on more than one occasion by more than one person. Though many of the people who have been disappointed by the policies and game choices made have just given up and moved on, I haven't given up all hope yet:)
  3. Spindle Well-Known Member

Wow. As far as I'm concerned you've just killed any credibility for future comments with this attitude. I've even put up with the 'please fix because it takes so much time for my 70 plus alts' comments as some are dang good suggestions.

I can't see heroic crafters as folks won't learn their chosen trade skill. This is the same argument many use(d) regarding heroic adventurers. So, who know what developers in the coming years will decide.

Constant nagging is never endearing.
    Morfydd likes this.
  4. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

HeHe I figured my credibility was gone long ago:) As for the quote you chose, that says this is the best of them and it is:)
    Thanks for putting up with my suggestions and once again, I never asked for heroic anythings only for equity between adv and crafter.
  5. Mae- Well-Known Member

What exactly is unequal between adventurers and crafters NOW? Where do adventurers get potions that make it so they kill things 10 times faster?
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

No potions, but at lower levels mercs do that for you ;) :p
  7. Thogul Member

An auto-leveled 85 crafter? The thought of a newbie playing an 85 toon in combat isn't anywhere near annoying as that of someone just 'being' a level 85 crafter of any kind in my world. I worked way too hard grinding crafting writs to have any kind words for someone getting a free pass at that. There are already enough people who don't know enough about the marketplace to avoid selling their crafted items at a loss (they just undercut until they're the lowest, and never realize they spent more in mats than they're getting for the item). I don't need any more of them making it impossible for me to sell anything but food and keep my head above water. If you don't believe me, just look at the prices of furniture or salesman's crates. Spend three plat for the rare to make something and it won't sell for two. Very sad.
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

Cloudrat was talking about this thread where it is asked for heroic crafters. Somehow putting in an option to buy 85 tradeskill levels makes things even between crafters and adventurers.

Not that I'm for this idea. Honestly, its like trying to make an apple and an orange "equal". The only way to do that is to blend them together. Which destroys both and creates something else. That is probably something you didn't want when you started this whole process.
  9. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

You didn't answer the question you quoted. What is unequal between adv and trade that would justify an instant 85 tradeskiller
  10. Meirril Well-Known Member

We're never going to get equality between adventurers and crafters. Crafting is here to support adventuring. The entire dev team is here to support adventuring. There isn't even a single dev dedicated to crafting.

And there are a lot of crafters that don't want equality between crafting and adventuring. I was behind a move to create group content for crafters. Domino took up that idea, but made it soloable because a large segment of the crafting community hated the idea of crafting content they couldn't solo. Because of that, the rewards had to be weakened because people could solo it. Making crafting truly "equal" also means there are things you can't do by yourself (or with your alt-army), but you need an honest 5 or even 20-ish other people to help you do things you want to.

Instead, we've got a handful of memorable quests and all the grinding you can (or can't) stand. Not to mention a horrible mini-game that lulls people to sleep. You want equal, stop asking for stupid potions and insta-dings. Go ask for something substantial.
    Feara likes this.
  11. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

You think from day 1 there was any reason for crafting other than to support adventurers? Please tell me what it was. I'm very curious.
  12. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Let me see if I have this right..

Player A does adventuring and hates crafting and decorating....
    Player B loves crafting and decorating must adventure and support Player A with his needs. ?
  13. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Player A does adventuring and takes risks. He or she makes money that in turn supports Player B the crafter's store.

Risk=cash, cash spent on items=profit for crafter.

So it's not like adventurers are some weight around the neck, Cloudrat. They're the client base.
    More of them and less crafters means your widget demands a higher price (to a point).

As far as equality as I see it... The better adventurers do? The more they spend. Three cheers for increased disposable income in the client base. This heroes call has had my income tripled on the broker. It's pay day everyday. Food sells, gear sells, stuff just sells.
  14. Meirril Well-Known Member

Player A = consumer of crafted goods, though admittedly it could just be food.
    Player B could supply Player A with crafted goods, or Player B could be a crafter that is only interested in decorating and never ventures beyond carpenter and only make furniture for himself. He harvests by himself, he never brokers anything and uses station cash to buy houses to decorate to amuse himself. There is also a good chance that Player B occasionally brokers something to player A and so is a supporter of adventurers without being one.

Now if there were more player Bs than A this game would be entirely different. But lets face it, most people are player C who does a lot of adventuring and a modest amount of crafting. And there is the rare player D who is a primary crafter that also dabbles in adventuring.

The content of this game fully supports adventurers. You can spend 6 or more hours a day (every day) doing adventuring things that some people consider interesting. Crafting? There are a few repeatable quests that never held any challenge to them. There is the crafting instance. Actually playing the market takes more broker research skills than actual crafting. Sure you can spend hours doing broker searches to find a new market...but is that being a crafter? Is that in any way fun? Honestly, sounds more like work. I estimate you could spend an hour each day doing crafting quests. That isn't too bad if your here mostly to talk to other players, but it isn't exactly a satisfying game experience.

I'd honestly rather have a open ended experimentation system where you start with a very simple item and progressively make it more interesting but you take the risk of destroying it with each attempt. Then you see how much your willing to risk to get the next experiment. You could spend hours making a single item...or waste those hours on a failure. It would be even better if you could do some side quests to up the items power or durability by having faction NPCs assist you.

That isn't what I'm really after. It is just an example of something that could be considered engaging crafting content.
  15. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Ok when I say equity, I mean if you put adventuring potions on the market then put crafting ones on too.
    I am not asking for a lot more dev time or more engaging crafting. I think its pretty dang good as it is.
    If you make something special for adventuring then make something for crafters at the same time not a year later
    after enough people point out how unfair it was like the vitality orb.

I am not asking to make crafting more fun or more like adventuring, because it is fun now. Some items should consider crafting level as well as adventure like escape potions on the market only look at adv level. Crafters use escape and even have an escape weapon to quest for.

Creating useful as well as decorative items is fun in and of itself.
  16. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Adventurers have no such item to quest for, so the majority that don't get an escape ability have to buy the potions if they really want escape. There's your equity*.

*It's not really equal since it favors crafters.
  17. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

18. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

Maybe adv should ask for something similar lol not really the point. I was asking for the adv level only designation to be taken off the marketplace item by virtue of the fact that crafters use it too. (they took the crafter only off tinkered harvesting tools for the same reason, I suppose)

adv potions on market put some crafting ones on market simple
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

And I think we've looped back to the start of this thread and all the arguments against this.
  20. Kurogo Active Member

First, I agree with most of you, Heroic Crafters is a silly idea. Contrary to the OPs opinion, crafting is easier than adventuring, and by no small margin. The avenue with the highest overall pay out is to craft via Rush orders once you can do them, but for variety there are quests that can carry you very late into the game.

As far as crafters getting an evac. The simple fact is, it is more likely that a crafter will go into an area of a higher adventure level than he is and have legitimate business there. If an adventurer goes into an area of a higher level than he is, the only feasible excuse is exploring. The need for a crafter to be able to evac is in this case understandable, it's what he needs to do to ply his trade. The adventurer really has no need to be there at that time, as he can find an area with level appropriate content.

And if there was any changes to crafting, I'd like to be able to add adorn slots to items via experimentation, even if it's at the cost of the Augmented Smite/Blessing.