Harvesting change or RNG love ?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-JesDer, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Oh evil Tradeskill Empress, if you were to make such a change, would you revisit the idea of making them like the t7 quest harvests?
  2. ARCHIVED-Lathaine Guest

Doo that's why material are so rare ;) was brutal change thanks for say why ;) kill stock.
    befor all, yes english if not my first language and i m not angry or deseperete, i was just little disapointed.
    dartie wrote:

1) drop rate of 1000% seem a lot at first look, but if you look what happened and how rare drop it was probably more than 10x. while 2.5 or 3x seem more realist, it's not. With only 3x the drop rare it would take more than 2 day for totaly overfaw the market and cut price by 2.
    2) you dont get rare in 20 min, that can happend i also dont get rare for 30 min then in next 5 min i got 5 rare. bad run still here ;) but i remember well befor got no rare in 3H several times, so 20 min dont seem a lot ;)
    3) yes too late for blabla, it's done it's done. i dont like harvesting, really i dont like do that. I always brough rare i need, i harvest only when market is creazy and price really too high, or even i dont craft and wait, i can wait 2 month for just craft one thing... And with this i feeling 2 way, first i wanted see if it was true, second i wanted not stay back while all other stockpile. I wanted my part. And i havnt havrested more than 6H by day.
    5) I m sorry domino if i was upset, was not fun to see this happen and feel like no one care. We love the game dont break it ;) And i was thinking for each aspect of the game a full team of dev take care of it, it seem not. And yes i dont blame domino for this. Now i start to think just one dev work and 50 marketman get profit without care about dev team.
    6) i just brough rare because i no want lose all my time to harvest, i dont have stock of rare i have brough so that dont touche me much, except since i have brough lot of rare at low price.. but i still dont feel that fun at all. Befor i could rush a stack of xegonite at 35 gold each, just for have few since i done lot of carpenter furniture, as exemple, but i dont do this a lot... i can stay several week without care about i dont have anything to sell... I m just a mastercraft player who try make few profit with his skill.
    'It's just a game' i could kill someone for say this.... it's not because it's a game that's not serious. usually i ear this from people who dont care about what they do... game have rule, dont follow rule and game stop to exist.
    And no i m not totaly upset, i just feel that totaly not normal, and should not be possible if it was done by professional. I talk about the delay, mistake can happen ;)
    PS : again :p price of market can go up and done i dont care, if it's not due to something like and exploit ;) this was lot more than just price change.
    Other part, price of rare are not, NOT AT ALL for main low lvl char, only high lvl should buy best gear, low lvl main are supposed to harvest and get their own rare by themself, what is merite if you brough everything first time you play ??? yes a set worth 7 plat at lvl 20 30, and what ? you are not supposed to brough everything, and you want all your master 1 spell with this ? it as value, it's lot overpriced yes, and what ? player have crafted a lot for up his skill and spend a lot of cash in 70x2 recipe book. Anyway everyone can have any set of rare just go harvest instead of just want buy it, buy nice stuff is only for old player :p... less now but still :p

I was thinking like everyone up the rate was good thing but 0,22% would be more in line with what was need :p
  3. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

Let's see. There's time spent levelling up as a crafter. There's also time and money spent acquiring advanced tradeskill books. Now, there's the small matter that I didn't do those things to make money selling items, I started crafting to be able to make items for myself, my friends and guildmates. But yes, I expect a return on that investment. That's why I charge more than merely fuel cost. But I also don't expect to recover the full amount of that investment on every single sale. I expect to recover it over time. As for harvesting, well, two things. First, I need to harvest anyway. I need commons for my own levelling, and for making things I have to make anyway. I also need to prospect for rares, and I'll be accumulating a lot of commons in the process. Second, we're not talking much time here. With no tools and no mount it takes only a couple of minutes to gather enough for a combine in any tier where I don't have to worry about aggro in the harvesting area. Charging 10g or more per minute for my time simply isn't reasonable.
  4. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

That was the first option I looked into, but unfortunately, I was told those quest harvests are handled differently in a way that I couldn't easily apply to the imbue harvests. I might revisit that long term after RoK is out of the way, but short term it wasn't something I could do quickly so it got put in the "maybe later" pile. ;) Hm, evil tradeskill empress, it has a ring ... :twisted:
  5. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Thanks for the info. And yeah, as soon as I read your evil empire comment, that's the first thing I thought.
  6. ARCHIVED-melaine_dvarvensplitter Guest

Hmmm ... will ya be dressed in black? :D:D:D
  7. ARCHIVED-Lathaine Guest

[p]could i ask why tweak in drop rate could not be done on test server befor hit live serveur ? or it's done and no one have see this happen ?[/p][p]sorry if in other post i look angry, it's not.[/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-FoxRiverRanger Guest

[p]Price gouging? How can anyone in this game manage to "price above the market rate when no other supply is available?" Every character in the game buys and sells on the same free market. Every character in the game has always been able to harvest for themselves; if they commit the time. Every player is free to value their time however they choose. If an item is overpriced it will not sell.[/p][p]The parasites are not those willing to commit to attaining something, whether for their own use or to broker it to afford something else. The real parasites are those that feel entitled to what others have earned without having to make the same commitment. The parasites that demand others provide for them whatever they want, when the want it, at the price they want: or whine the game is broken.[/p][p]The point those who relish the thought of free flowing rare harvests seem to be avoiding is the developers do not tune drop rates to influence player determined market prices. They tune drop rates to the ‘risk versus reward' principle that determines itemization. Developers set the scarcity and the itemization; players then set the free market value. [/p][p]The last significant increase in rare drops rates was concurrent with the tradeskill revamp and reitemization of all crafted items. If the scarcity of rare harvests were changed significantly enough that everyone is running fully Mastercrafted/Adept III, the follow up will need to be a reitemization of Mastercrafted items or a retuning of the combat system. To quote a favorite movie of my children: "Once everybody is super, then nobody will be."[/p][p]Comparing those willing to meet the commitment needed to attain superior gear to plat sellers is ludicrous. More likely that from among those malcontented parasites unfulfilled in their sense of entitlement whining about "twinks" and "plat sellers" one will find the plat buyer.[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-Eriol Guest

Watch for that at the next Fan Faire.
  10. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Eriol wrote:
    She did like the storm troopers.
  11. ARCHIVED-denmom Guest

Amen on the speculators. I was looking at the broker last night for a blackened iron scimitar (didn't feel like hopping to my WS in the middle of betryal from Neriak to Qeynos) and my jaw dropped when I saw the price of a BI scimitar. 42g. Blah. Okay yah, it's aimed at the twinking market, the ones who have the coin to be able to pay such a price...but good lords. I'd put up cheaper goods, undercutting by a long margin, but I know it'd just be bought up by the speculators and put into their inventory. Aaaannnd gonna stop here before I go off into a huge rant about it all. *wry smile*
  12. ARCHIVED-Lathaine Guest

[p]yes this whole topic is lot less interesting than an evil domino tradeskill empress dressed in black at a fan faire like a storm trooper, but... you shouldnt say that here :p[/p]
  13. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

That gave me a laugh! The original change was on Test (Domino told me at Fan Faire she tested it internally and on Test); the way I'm reading it this tweak will patch in as a hotfix "soon".
  14. ARCHIVED-ZeroRavesOn Guest

It does have a ring ... do I get to be a minion, now?
  15. ARCHIVED-baddog Guest

numnutz fables they say that in the land of the blind the one eye'd man is king, but the blind have no need of candles , and prophets are the raws for sacred cow dung a dishearting lesson of human nature is the mulititude, even when confronted with truth, will continue to defend their assumptions and fallacys, or worse spread lies, slander, and deceit you can't win an arguement with a fool because they can't follow the math
  16. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

One thing I've been noticing: the rare drop rate tails off dramatically as you hit your current tier. I'm thinking the high rates reported are only for people harvesting well below their level, ie. the standard drop tables are OK but there's too much of a boost being given for being over cap for the tier you're harvesting in.
  17. ARCHIVED-Lathaine Guest

No, sorry was all teir even T7 was overflow ;)
  18. ARCHIVED-metacell Guest

MrWolfie wrote:
    True, but spell upgrades are far more important than the other uses. Most people skip on the mastercrafted jewellery, and go for quested/looted jewellery instead (unless you are on a PvP server, where you need the resists). But everyone needs to upgrade at least a few of their spells/combat arts to Adept III.

The uses for different rares are (please remind me if I forgot something):
    • Pelts - leather armour, some house items
    • Roots - cloth armour, some house items
    • Wood - bows, staves, shields, altars, sales crates and other house items
    • Soft metals - Mage spells, jewellery, some house items
    • Stones - Priest spells, some house items
    • Hard metals - Metal armour, metal weapons, some house items
    • Loams - fighter spells, scout spells
    The prices on rare wood, hard metals, soft metals and stones are driven up by the need to make mastercrafted sales crates/bows/staves, metal armour, mage spell upgrades, and priest spell upgrades, respectively. That makes the prices too high for most people to use them for jewellery and house items.
    (It's also obvious why pelts and roots are relatively cheap - leather armour is only used by four classes, and cloth armour by six, as opposed to the fourteen (!) classes that use metal armour.)

In my opinion, it's a mistake to let the same kinds of rares be used for different purposes. It makes it much harder to balance the game. For instance, carpenters rarely get to use their rare recipies, since the raws are so expensive, and most people won't pay that much just for a house item. But the devs can't increase the harvest rates of rare stones and metals, since that would make Adept III spells too cheap.

The devs have spent a lot of time developing the rare carpenter recipies, but that time is in large parts wasted, since most carpenters can't afford to use them anyway.

In my opinion, we need different rares for different purposes, and the devs need to tweak the harvest rates of them individually, so the different tradeskill classes can work as intended.
  19. ARCHIVED-Lathaine Guest

[p]Pelt are also use for craft some belt/necklace, and tomes for secondary/range ;), and bags/quivers.. etc[/p][p]Root are use for charm doll, cloak ...[/p][p]Hard metal for shield, and some symbol secondary/range[/p][p]and i m sure i forgot some[/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

Aquarius@Runnyeye wrote:
    Gems are used for caster/healer jewelry. Roots are also used for cloaks and hex dolls.

I think, though, that the big reason that soft and hard metals, gems and loams are priced so much higher than pelts, roots and wood is supply. Pelt, root and wood come from nodes that only drop those rares. Hard metals and loams share a node, as do gems and soft metals, and since the drop rate for ore and stone nodes is the same as for any other node there's only half as many of each type of rare dropping off them. The upcoming hotfix is supposed to address this by doubling the rare drop rate from ore and stone nodes, so there'll be as many of each type of rare dropping off them as drop off the single-type nodes. That should ease pricing somewhat.