Harvesting change or RNG love ?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-JesDer, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Jolissa Guest

[p]Oh evil Tradeskill Empress (sorry, I could not resist).[/p][p]Could you let us know when the tweaking of drop rates is complete (if it is not mentioned in update notes). I don't think I would be the only one that is sitting out waiting for the dust to settle. I know it will take a while for the market to find a level again with everyone harvesting like crazy and all the people hoarding and speculating.[/p][p]I enjoy my tradeskilling and I like to have finished goods on the broker but I do not price gouge so large swings like this just force me out of the market. :-( When you make 10G - 15G per item and the market drops by 50G it is just a waste of time. I don't really care about the plat loss (it's just a game) but I do like logging in each night and seeing what did and didn't sell.[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-greenmantle Guest

Spyrit@Najena wrote:
    [p] I have to agree i with prices going all over the place at the moment im sitting out, when things queit down ill reprice things where im not selling things at less than the component costs. I appreciate all the excellent feedback we have recived on this but an ok we are happy from the dev's would be appreciated. [/p][p]Though i guess there are a lot of people buying up cheep rares in the hope that the price will rise again and i can imagine it will take quite a while for the dust to settle. [/p][p]Strange thing and perhaps its my luck but i seem to get more rares than imbuing materials which may create a bottle neck the other way. [/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-kukubird Guest

I wasn't one of the people that got hit hard because I didn't have tons of rares.. but yes, a little notice would be great to when the rare rate is going to be fixed.... Some people got hit hard because of this rare harvest rate mistake... yeah you might say gooooood....... serves em right for having a lot of rares stored for crafting before the arre rate got buggered to hell. But I say having your net worth of plat for example go from 500 plat to 100 plat overnight doesn't feel quite right. These are people that were not price gauging... just normal crafters that had a lot of rares saved for ease of crafting... in no way was it good customer relatons to screw people over that bad. So that being said.. a little heads up to when the fix is coming in would be much appreciated....
  4. ARCHIVED-greenmantle Guest

500p at old pricing your talking 600 to 700 rares just to make things easy? Come on thats like trying to explain to the IRS the 2 tons of gold in the spare room was incase you wanted a new tooth. No matter what your intent that sort of horde in a limited market is going to manipulate the price.
  5. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

500p? Even at pre-Gu36 prices that's at least 600-700 rares. What are you doing to accumulate that many rares? Even with a top-speed mount and the fastest harvesting tools, the only way you can accumulate that many is if you aren't doing anything but harvesting for them. And I'd imagine that if you've accumulated that much, you're already facing the problem that you're accumulating inventory faster than you can sell it. What did you expect to happen? If you harvested them, you haven't lost money. You may not make as much as you did before, but if I'm gifted with something worth $20 and now it's only worth $10, I haven't lost ten dollars. And if you bought those rares, I might suggest you read up on the Hunt brothers.
  6. ARCHIVED-Seltha-Larren Guest

[p]I'm quite disappointed with the change to drop rate - as part of normal sage business I would have a buffer of around 20 of each silver/coral, palladium/jasper, ruthenium/opal, rhodium/ruby, vanadium/pearl, acrylia/moonstone (ie 150pp of rares). These are now worth on average half what they were (75pp loss).[/p][p]I also stock over 300 mastercrafted spells covering levels 10-70 for many classes (ie around 200pp of rares went into making these spells). These are now worth on average half what they were (100pp loss).[/p][p]So I've taken a pretty harsh hit - nearly 200pp in losses.[/p][p]Really what should have happened was the drop rate of the roots/pelts be reduced to be on par with that of the other rares, rather than making them all common. It's supposed to be at least a little bit rare, right, or are we disposing with all handcrated recipes and labelling 'mastercrafted' as 'handcrafted' next update?[/p][p] [/p]
  7. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Seriously, just take your stuff off the market (or simply hold fast to your prices) and wait it out. While there's no guarantee prices will re-normalize at pre-change levels, in my experience market fluctuations are just that - fluxes. And it will flux back.
  8. ARCHIVED-Lathaine Guest

[p]yes price only can go up now if drop rate change ;)[/p][p]from my experience rare wood seem already fixed, but please reconsidere change done to stone/metal, too easy to get rare if they have 2x the drop rate of other rare. They was totaly fine at old drop rate, or a little increase, but sure must be very little compared to what was befor gu37.[/p][p]if this rare drop like all other rare, then people will just harvest stone and have 2 times more rare than they can have from other node... that too much, no more effort but 2 times more reward, dont feel right.[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-metacell Guest

Jrral@Unrest wrote:
    You're right, supply is at least a large part of the reason for the high prices on loams/gems/metals. I'm not sure the doubling of ore/stone harvest rates will bring them close to the price of roots/pelts/wood though.

Btw, the drop rates for stone and ore nodes were doubled in GU 37. The upcoming hotfix will adjust the rates down again. I don't think the Dark Empress ;-) will undo the changes to stone/ore nodes, though.

EDIT: Seems like xegonite, acrylia and rough moonstones have sunk low, while ebony remains high-priced. Dragonhide pelts and nimbus roots are still at the bottom, though, while spongy loam is at the top. (Runnyeye)
  10. ARCHIVED-kukubird Guest

Not arguing with the 2 people that thought 500 plat worth of rare goods was insane.. but you really weren't a horder if you ahd this much stuff up..... just a well stocked t7 of finished products for one tradeskill alone would have been an easy 100 p... then the extra few rares you would have to craft replacements... further go into other tiers...... then if you happened to have 2 crafters? some people 3 or more? Yeah, you don't realize how much stuff you have sometimes :)..... and 500 was being conservative... Don't be so quick to jump on people and yell! Horder! Farmer! price gauger! lol.... you can be very concerned about the economy and the new rare drop rate.. with just enjoying the game since it was released day 1 :)
  11. ARCHIVED-lilmohi Guest

[p]Did the drop rate nerf already go live? I spent 3 hours over the weekend in t5 zones (lvl70 harvester with tools) and only nabbed 2 rares.[/p][p] [/p]
  12. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

No, it's hasn't gone live yet (unless they patched this morning, I haven't checked). The PRNG is streaky, folks.
  13. ARCHIVED-Raston Guest

and some people will be streakier than others. I could burn up on t4 (both with a lvl 70 and a lvl 30ish harvester) but went to t5 and couldn't get a thing... Of course, I've never liked harvesting t5 as I hate all the old world t5 zones and not really sure where to harvest for t5 in EoF.
  14. ARCHIVED-EQTTEQ Guest

Can we look at the possibility that the current drop rate has been a combination of a minor change to the bonus tables, RNG love (has to happen sometimes) and positive reinforcement?
    Honestly, who wants to leave a lucky streak? I keep harvesting because I am successful at it. So I get more rares than before. But I am getting more commons also. I am harvesting more, because it is working for me.
    Perhaps I am deluded, and chose to ignore the black clockwork following me, but I don't see this as an evil plot to destroy the economy. So your horde has been devalued. A lot of the stuff you need to buy has also gone down in price (well, execept for Guido the Platinum Repository of Plat).
  15. ARCHIVED-kukubird Guest

Well, i posted some sky is falling opinions..... of how rares would drop to like 6 gold a palladium etc... Revising my predictions if the drop rate isn't fixed..... been picking up palladiums for 4g now..... and think it might go even lower.... THE ONLY REASON RARE PRICE IS EVEN REMOTELY HOLDING UP... is becuase there are a few different types of buyers ... those thinking the rare rate will be nerfed significantly.... new crafters stockpiling and getting the bonus pristine level experience.... those replacing stock because stuff is selling faster.... When that stops..... you are going to see a flood like no other of rares lol....... I can see it now..... trading 1 : 1 palladiums for crabonite pst... Seriously.... it is getting bad..... now if we had the population of WOW... it would't be as bad as it is... However since we don't....... it will soon be like trying to sell ice to eskimo's .... tons of suppliers... no buyers.. lmao
  16. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

that's a lot of ellipses.
  17. ARCHIVED-kukubird Guest

Great now I have to go look up the meaning of ellipses :( lol
  18. ARCHIVED-Typhonian Guest

As a carpenter, I would argue that we should keep the RNG-love - the last week or so I've finally been able to make the various rare furniture without bankrupting myself.
  19. ARCHIVED-lilmohi Guest

[p] LOL what server do you play on? I've seen maybe a 20% drop in prices for rares on my server, even steel is still pricing over 30gp which is just silly for t2 metal. Especially since i can buy most master1's for about that (excepting the prime twink classes like druids and summoners). Considering that harvesting has skyrocketed (i can't even turn around in most zones without running into a lvl70 sniping metal nodes) i'm surprised the prices haven't dropped more.[/p][p]Also from what i've seen only in T2-T3 have i seen the dramatic rare drop rate, where i harvest a couple hourse and come out with 10 rares or so. T4 is dramatically lower and by t5 the drop rate seems to be back where the streaky RNG is the factor in whether you get 1rare / hour or 5.[/p][p]I realize that some classes like sages, and armorers (and other adept 3 makers) that can pretty much sell their products at any price as long as it's competitive. However other classes like weaponsmiths and carpenters can only sell products if they obtain rares for a fraction of the price that they have traditionally been. I can count the number of rare weapons i've sold with my weaponsmith on one hand in the last year (you can usually find a legendary weapon for about half what the equivalently tiered metal costs). My jeweler has sold a few more pieces of jewelry than the weaponsmith but the vast majority of his business is still in adept3's.[/p][p]What really bothers me is that once the hotfix goes live the harvesting horde is going to quit and once again the price of rares is going to go out of reach and even higher than it was before. However instead of this nerf which is getting hotfixed in, it is going to take a few years before anyone is brave enough to try to tweak the drop rates again.[/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

the "dot dot dot dot" used instead of real punctuation. And usually incorrectly!