Harvesting change or RNG love ?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-JesDer, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Lastnight I noticed an extremely high rate of rares across multiple zones. At one point I got 4 T6 rares within 15 min of eachother. I would say within the 1.5hr I was harvesting lastnight I walked away with 12 rares. I noticed the high rate in Lesser Fay, LavaStorm, everfrost, and Nek forrest.
  2. ARCHIVED-Karioki Guest

[p]This morning I logged on an hour before reset. The very first attempt at harvesting yielded ironwood. in 45 minutes I got 2 ironwood, 3 colbolt and a saguaro in sinking sands.[/p][p]Karioki[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-aarddave Guest

[p]Didn't manage to harvest last night after the update, but will try tonight and hope what you say is true.[/p][p]That said i have noticed a streaky rng in permafrost where i'm currently doing most of my harvesting. While collecting stuff to grind my 9 crafters through the tier i save up all my rares to make stuff when i'm done and so far have loads of rare pelts and wood, a good amount of rare roots, but i'll be damned if i can get much ebon, or anything rare from a soft metal node. There was one time a couple of weeks ago i got 2 rare woods in consecutive pulls from the same node.[/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-steelblueangel Guest

[p]you guys must have just been lucky with the rares, because I harvested last night needing pelts and roots for my tailor for over 4 hours and only got one rare. Looks the same to me for rare finds little and far between. [/p][p]One thing I did notice though was that instead of getting more pelts instead of meat like the update stated we would I got tons of meat and fewer pelts for my time; hence, the four hours of harvesting to get enough pelts to grind out my levels. Devs please look at the meat vs pelt harvest ratio since meats are still the highest percent in the harvest of dens. [/p]
  5. ARCHIVED-piro Guest

steelblueangel wrote:
    lol i totally agree with ya was harvesting for about 3 hours and got 1 pelt and one metal :( wish i had that kinda luck, like my wife who harvested 12 corals in about 2 and half hours......... i got pissed at her lol :)
  6. ARCHIVED-Lord_Xyrax Guest

steelblueangel wrote:
    I noticed this as well. It looks like the adjustment was made in the wrong direction. Increased meats instead of pelts.
  7. ARCHIVED-ashen1973 Guest

i've spent 2 or 3 hours harvesting today (metal/stone nodes and wood nodes mainly) Got a lot more metal/stone rares than i would normally expect, about the same wood as i would normally get But not one scintillating item or osseus lumber
  8. ARCHIVED-Rqron Guest

I also was harvesting last night and found out something about this "streak of rares" Harvesting with my lower characters who are not all up to date in harvesting I.e 150 / 165 and harvesting in a lower and or equal zone did NOT result in any extra rares. Using my maxed out lvl 70 character resulted in a higher rate for wood soft metal regular metal gems and roots..not any more for pelts (what I really was looking for my tailor) and I had tons of meat and a lot less pelts then normal. The ratio of loams seemed about the same, rare to none but then I am an alchemist and did not expect anything different I am used to finding more loams with my tailor than with my jeweler or alchemist. The ratio of imbuing items seemed a little lower then regular and none of the so elusive rare root that was to drop from the bushes. Whatever happened was happening in a strange way as I had harvested without any higher rate for about 3 hours and then from one minute to the next I had 6 rough ruby from 2 nodes... it blew me away.... and it stayed at an high lvl until about 11:45 eastern time when it started to slow down a little..but maybe that was because by then every farmer you can imagine was out there harvesting and it was actually more work looking for a node then just going to bed. Serious people I never knew there where that many farmers. If harvesting rares stays at this elevated lvl I can see the market and prices on the broker to come down by quite a bit for rares and for items made from rares...a good thing for buyers, a bad thing for the person that goes out harvesting and is used to sell at a high profit. It will be interesting to see what way the whole thing will play out.
  9. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Rqron wrote:
    Actually .. when I am not at 100% I fail to harvest anything often untill I get the skill back to 100%. The same goes for crafting without being at 100% possible skill. You tend to fail much more than you do if you are at 100% possible. This has always seemed broken to me.
  10. ARCHIVED-Mendou Guest

Harvested last night for about an hour in EL and came back with about 5 rares (a pelt, 3 roots and a soft metal) and a bout 8 imbue items. The night before (monday) I harvested for about 1.5 hours in TS and EL with about 6 rares (2 steel, 1 stone, 2 root, and a soft metal) and about 10 imbue items. Clearcutting an area once or twice seemed to get the ball rolling. Also, I noticed the following drop rates;
    Dens: 2 meat to 1 pelt
    Ore: 2 loam to 1 cluster in TS... about 3:1 in EL
    Everything else was about 1:1 for whatever the node would drop with a rather generous (imo) sprinkling of imbues.
    Also, now that the bushes drop rare roots I'm a little less prone to complain about how they seem to cover the land like kudzu most days. :) My only complaint is I haven't harvested a rare wood in about a month. Despite always clear cutting when there's nobody else in the same area. The RNG seems to hate me that way. :cry:
    **edit: The irony is that my main is a carpenter.**
  11. ARCHIVED-aarddave Guest

I went and did a bit of harvesting this evening and came away with 2 figwort roots in under an hour, both coming from a 10 common + rare pull.
    Gave up after a while due to the 5 level 70's swarming around permafrost cherrypicking the ore. Normally i clear everything when i'm on my own, but as i also have to watch for agro, i wasn't about to clear it just so one of them could swoop in on their carpet and get the good stuff.
  12. ARCHIVED-DeathRider69 Guest

I had similar luck. In about an hour of harvesting I have 3 rare T6 pelts, 4 T6 roots, 1 Ebony, and evidently I got a Xenogite cluster as well, but did not notice. I can cofirm getting rare roots from shrubs though. I get 2 of the 3 from the shrubs. But I remember it being this way when the increased the quantity from 1 per hit to 1-5 per hit. I know I loaded up with T4 rares during that period of time.
  13. ARCHIVED-EomerFarstar Guest

I actually hope these changes are intended.
    I went to Fear Island with +20 harvesting tool and goot 4 rares in few hours. It made the time spent fun.
    Harvesting should be fun and not some 5 hr mining session to get a Moonstone.
  14. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

[p]Well, yes of course there is the fun factor but when rares are no longer rares the prices will drop. between last night and this morning I have noticed many rare prices on our server experiencing 40-70% price drops, especially root rares.[/p]
  15. ARCHIVED-Offem Guest

It's about time a few more rares drop...400 items and 2 rares is a bit of a nuisance at times. It doesn't always happen like that, sometimes I get more, sometimes I'll harvest for 4 hours and not see a single rare item. Even if it's just a fluke, I'm not complaining.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jolissa Guest

[p]I hope that this is just a temporary bug.[/p][p]I have no issue at all with a change to drop rates but SOE has to do so slowly so they do stuff up the economy. More rares will drive prices down and maybe drive some of the farmers away but to do so by stealth is a huge smack in the face to any of the existing TS'ers that have worked hard on there craft. I don't have a 70 tailor but I can imagine any Tailor that has a lot of stock on the broker now will not be happy seeing there hard work go down the drain as rare roots drop 40% - 70%. I have 5 x 70 crafters and to keep sales ticking over you have to have lots of stock up and it has to be priced well. The days are gone where stuff will sell for double the rare cost.[/p][p]I guess we will just have to wait and see .......[/p]
  17. ARCHIVED-Raveller Guest

Spyrit@Najena wrote:
    That's just sad. They maybe might have done something right (increasing the chance of harvesting a rare) and someone has to whine about it.
  18. ARCHIVED-petrov26 Guest

On the surface increasing the rare drop rate seems like a good idea but maybe not this much - I got a crazy amount of them tonight in around an hour and a half of harvesting. I gotta think this is a mistake but who knows?
  19. ARCHIVED-Jolissa Guest

[p]lol, some of us put a lot of time and effort into our tradeskill and would not like to see that time go to waste. I am guessing that you are do not have a tailor with a broker box full of rare combines.[/p][p]Anyway, if you read my post again you will see that I do not have an issue with increasing the chance of a rare drop as it may stop a lot of the farming for RL money. I was saying that if a major change to drop rates has happened the community should have been warned. [/p][p]Again, I hope that this is a just a temporary bug. [/p]
  20. ARCHIVED-Raveller Guest

Spyrit@Najena wrote:
    Time, yes. Effort, no. It's a game, not a career. Increased rare harvesting rate = doubleplus good.