Happy Holidays! (Some random cool stuff)

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by ARCHIVED-SmokeJumper, Dec 21, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Tatsou Guest

In a sense I've been having a chuckle at this whole thing. It reminds me of that present you get from that relative you hardly ever see, open it up,...........and bam. How do you say thank you when it is was either hideious, wrong size, wrong style.....
    My mother always told me to be grateful for the gifts you get in life. Dont ever try to short change it just cause it doesnt fit you.
    And with that Happy Holidays Gamers and SOE !!!!!
  2. ARCHIVED-Eshaac Guest

Streppoch@Guk wrote:
    Well said, very well said......
    Eshaac
  3. ARCHIVED-QuestingCrafter Guest

In a city of 120,000 people, the cable company said they would show pay channels for four days during a holiday season.
    Fourteen times in the past, the four days were Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon; but for the first time ever, the four days would be Mon-Tues-Weds-Thurs.
    People who had some of those days off, or had free time before/after work rejoiced -- for they could enjoy the kind gesture.
    People who didn't have time on any of those four days, but had benefitted in the past from the usual four-day selection, fell into two camps: ones that were happy for the people that fourteen times in the past hadn't been able to enjoy it -- and now, finally could! ... and those who were self-centered and convinced that any generosity from the cable company HAD to serve their schedule, whether or not it served anyone else's -- or it was a 'slap in the face' or let-down.
    Frankly, I'm effin' amazed at how upset a vocal few are, when a freebie doesn't exactly match their greatest free time -- really, are we all in elementary school again?
  4. ARCHIVED-megaira13 Guest

Murdo@Guk wrote:
    I really appreciate that you do come out and say: I over-reacted.
    You can always ask. I don't think there's anything wrong for asking for what you want - and indeed, I think it is important to voice what you like and want when it comes to something like an MMO where it's an ongoing player/service provider relationship.
    But, I also think it goes so much further if it's done in a diplomatic manner. I understand the initial disappointment when news isn't great, and even sometimes anger, but (and this is not pointed at you, per se, but I'm speaking in general), step back, take a breath and think: if I was on the other side of this, what kind of request would irritate me vs. make me want to make something happen.
    Perhaps something like: Thanks! This is great - is it possible to add one weekend day to start off? Maybe the day after Christmas when we're all sugared up and dying to play after a day with the inlaws?

Even if you can't or don't get what you want, I cannot say enough how far diplomacy goes for both sides. Even if what you are asking for cannot be given, the ear is more likely to be open to you when something CAN be done. It applies here and anywhere else - it is very rare you actually ever need to clobber someone who stands in your way...and in those cases, when it comes to retail/service anything, the message is usually best made by just walking out and taking business elsewhere.

I'm not saying this to preach at you, or others. I'm saying it because I've experienced it so frequently in my life in and outside of the game. Petitions get answered and when the answer is no, it is at the least a sympathetic no, vs. a copy & paste. I do think that there are some cases in life where an assertive, take no bs response is absolutely called for. Or, in some cases with the game, a mass voice of opinion is needed to turn the ship away or towards a particular desired (or undesired) destination.
    But, having seen some of these threads with players and Devs interacting, it's clear there are friendly people there, and they also have a sense of humor. I can't see the negative side of appealing to those things and hoping for the best. There's really nothing there to lose.

I have to say this, because it's been on my mind a lot lately - and again, not pointed at you, it just happens to be that while replying to you, I'm inspired to share my thoughts:
    I, like many of us, have been playing since 2004. Of all the things that have swayed me in one direction or another for or against the game, the largest influence by far, has been player behavior and morale. There are changes that sometimes tick me off and make me think negatively, but what really sours, spoils and overall ruins the game experience is when the people around me are bummed out, complaining, and ready to quit. Then I don't want to log in - who would?
    When people around me are excited about something and enthusiastic, it's contagious. I'm not saying there's no change that would break the game for me - plenty could - but what most inspires me to continue playing and makes me WANT to be here, are players - their creativity, their humor, their friendliness.

Norrath doesn't suck. If anything, it can attract some wonderful souls and it is a venue for relationships and friendships to be born and built. It's a growth experience - I've seen several times a "troll" have to learn how to behave socially to come around. The shenanigans get tiresome, and that person eventually starts seeking approval, and they have a chance - they always have a chance - to turn it around. How awesome is that?
    What I'm saying here is that we make the game. Sony makes it a colorful place to adventure and spend some free time - it's healthier than sitting watching wheel of fortune or other fluff. And, we are also the same people who can make a tremendous difference in how well or poorly the game does. I'm not just talking your subscriptions, but just consider this a moment: One of our frequent beefs is that the marketing department isn't doing what we'd like: why don't WE have Mr T commercials? etc.
    But the most powerful marketing by far HAS to be word of mouth. Good lord, just look at Oprah's book club (and she's pushed quite a few LOUSY books with great success! LOL). I may read an article or see something that looks cool, but until a friend says: this is awesome, try it - sometimes I just don't make the time. Once someone explains why and what it is that they love and enjoy about a restaurant, product, book, movie, music, art, place, game... I am 99% more than likely to have my curiosity inspired and at least go give it a second look.
    So I feel that WE as players have the ability to change a problem that annoys us, by BEING the marketing instead of waiting for it to happen. I would bet that a big chunk of current players now are a result of *that* kind of marketing, as well. Someone thought of that last year and threw in refer-a-friend. Not a bad incentive to reward both sides for recruiting more players. We could make a choice to push that further than it has gone.

So what other things about the game that we are dissatisfied with, can we change on our own? I'm not saying we can make a double xp weekend happen along with the week, but there are things that we can do to make things better. Not enough guide events on your server? Create your own player event or write a quest that can be completed in game and run it! We honestly have more power at our fingertips to create something off the cuff - we don't have to wait for someone to approve it, so why not? Some people have done some amazing events (the Ren Faire on one server was fantastic!)!

Changing things for our own betterment may simply require a change of perspective in how problems are approached. When it comes to Development issues in-game, it may require stepping back to say: what approach will garner the best results for what I'm looking for? Sure, enough people yelling and stomping their feet may do it, but what if everyone just said: This is great, can we fine tune this idea a little further?
    Sure, it might not work, but again, what is there to lose? Who does it hurt? I can't imagine what it could. If anything, I think it could improve an overall sense of morale, respect and dignity between player and developers. They, I think, would be more inclined to want to do things for us and give us the goodies we ask for. On our side, at the least, we create a more positive atmosphere for each other.

How awesome would it be, though, if you're working on a project, to work in tandem with the client and inspire each other, rather than to find your work picked apart and criticized? I've worked in so many negative, horrid environments, and I finally found a job with a very positive working environment, and I have to say, it changes everything. WE have the power at our fingertips, with simply our words, to make someone's day better. Even if we're not always super happy with the results along the way, that person is still likely to be inspired to keep trying.
    Just my .02, which of course you do not have to take. I likely won't be checking back in to the thread (unless I sneak away from other things). This is not to be dramatic or stomp off, but simply because I'm buried in the "christmas is almost here, and I'm totally behind" stuff. [IMG]
    Happy Holidays guys. [IMG]
  5. ARCHIVED-Mysstie Guest

Well, I just wanted to say thanks. :) By the time this comes around my Jeweler should have her TS vitality back to 100% and I can get the best bang for my last TS XP potion.
  6. ARCHIVED-Indabuff Guest

Ninibi@Butcherblock wrote:
    I did not want to quote the full post as it was long but Bravo! I could not agree more. An MMO is nothing without
    the people that inhabit it. If that world is a possitive place its a pleasure to be in it and people will want more of
    it. SOE only gives us the canvas....we paint the picture.
  7. ARCHIVED-Priam Pendragon Guest

Why not just make a new consumable items that, once consumed, grants double XP for 24 hours regardless of how long the character is logged in, and give everyone a couple of them?
  8. ARCHIVED-Kezzik Guest

Sunday thru Wednesday makes much more sense.
  9. ARCHIVED-melaine_dvarvensplitter Guest

So after a bit of sleep and time to think about things, I am happy to have the bonus xp, can't say I wouldn't mind a /claim item once a month with a 24hr play time where I could get dbl xp and dbl AA xp but perhaps the next bonus xp period I will have more time to play.

I will have about 9hrs during the time to play but any little bit helps.
  10. ARCHIVED-megaira13 Guest

I like the claim item, too.
    I wonder though, if given a choice between a claim item that lasts an hour or two vs. 3 days of double xp, if people would actually want the claim item over a possible 3 days? Especially when they can double that up with the xp potions and mentor bonuses.
    There are those times I totally forget about the double xp stuff, but if I have a toon I must grind up a few levels and happen to catch one, I usually hit it mid-weekend and am glad I caught it.
  11. ARCHIVED-Garghglargh Guest

Smokejumper, why not just cancel bonus xp week, that way everyone gets what they really want?
  12. ARCHIVED-Sarceous Guest

Only complaint i have si that the way the double SC ad reads that you can do it from your account also...IT DOESNT...because sony doesnt advertise this game or market in Florida apparantly i cant get SC cards..even in Gamestop..have the 15.00 game cards for the monthly payment but no SC. so i spend the same 10.00 those that can buy the cards and i get Penalized for it..will not buy anymore.
  13. ARCHIVED-QuestingCrafter Guest

Sarceous wrote:
    It's pretty clear that it's cards [only] being doubled: " any Station Cash cards redeemed will be doubled in effect ". Cards, not "any Station Cash purchased:. My seven year-old nephew figured it out enough to ask for a card instead of a 'refill' (i.e.: direct credit card purchase through the website).
    The prior SC bonus weekend offer was for all methods of purchase (which was really cool!)
    As far as marketing, that's a two-way street -- SOE, and the various chains. If GS tells them to take a hike, they really don't feature PC games in-store so much any more ... well, SOE can't force them to carry the cards.
    The chains selling cards are 7-Eleven, Toys R Us, CVS, Rite Aid, Speedway/SuperAmerica, Blockbuster, Target, and Best Buy. If you're in/near a city big enough to have a GS, there's a good shot they have one or more of the above. Even if your local store (of the above) doesn't have them in stock, since they have a SKU for it, they should be able to order some for you. :)
  14. ARCHIVED-ClubinBabiesealz Guest

Awesome! Finally Double xp on my days off. Always seemed to cater to the people with weekends off and us grunts missed out on most of it.
  15. ARCHIVED-Grycks Guest

In MY day we never had double experience and we LIKED it! In all seriousness though, you folks who complain that this bonus isn't on the weekend (for the first time ever) really need to rethink what a gift is.
  16. ARCHIVED-Drakania Guest

Sarceous wrote:
    I stopped going to gamestop a while ago since they focus on console games now mostly.
    Not sure what part of FL you're in but I'm in central FL and 7-11 had a bunch of the 5 & 10 dollar SC cards.
  17. ARCHIVED-Wingrider01 Guest

Sarceous wrote:
    this time it is for the cards only, previous time was for the online purchased only - so both have had the same offer recently. Absolutely nothing to honestly complain about
    cards are not only sold at gamestop, they are sold at
    1. 7-eleven
    2. toys-r-us
    3. cvs
    4. rite-aid
    5. Super Americia
    6. Speedway
    7. blockbuster
    8. target
    9. Best Buy
  18. ARCHIVED-Aerfen Guest

Wingrider01 wrote:
    I saw $10 cards at my local Walgreens as well.
  19. ARCHIVED-Loura Guest

To all of you complaining about the bonus experience during the week I am so sorry that there is ONE bonus experience period you will miss. For those of us that work the weekends we thank you for thinking of us on all the weekends you had bonus experience :)
  20. ARCHIVED-SYNFULONE Guest

Hi, Just wanted to know since when is EQ2 not able to do more promotions to get more gamers to subscribe to EQ2. I have played EQ2 since the beta when it first came out and ive seen it when the server was so full that there was lag at some points because there were so many players in the game and now i see the Senior Producer named Smokejumper saying that 'quoat' P.S. This is likely to be the last bonus SC offer we do for a while. Just so's y'knows. From what I can see in the game from my friends list none of them play anymore you would think that all of the "VIP" upper staf and developers would try to do what ever it takes to get more subscribers but instead they come up with Station Cash to buy in game items or unlock new races for more money on top of what devoted players are already paying for with this game. What are you trying to do run off the rest of the subscribers you have till there are none left Maybe you should try comming up with an expansion that is free since you have charged for everyone of them that has been released to current date maybe that will bring back some lost subscriber revenue or try giving more back to the loyal subscribers that you do have left?