Grieg Veneficus

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-kuraan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Relating specifically to Grieg, there's a really great post on the first page from Coniaric. It goes back a good ways further than the Al'Kabor story, and provides more insight into why we went to the moon.
  2. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

I've heard tell that there is a website dedicated to documenting the changes to the appearance of Luclin from patch to patch...

Anyone know of this?
  3. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Why would there be? The appearance hasn't changed since the game first started.
  4. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

How sure are you of that Cusa? Talking to a guildmate right now and he said he recalls looking up and not seeing any moon 3 years ago.

Edit: Also seen references to such things on West Karana and Journeys with Jaye.
  5. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

He probably wasn't looking in the right place, or was looking at night when Luclin was below the horizon. It's been in there since the game started. It's the same appearance as when the game started. People think it's changing because they look at it through different zones and times of day where the atmosphere and sky effects make it look hazy/shaded/obstructed/ all around harder to see. Most people don't bother to observe that it rotates either, so sometimes they see the largest chunk facing Norrath, but don't look to see the fireball of the core still hot inside, or the other chunks still equally distanced apart.
  6. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

I hadn't seen that it actually rotates. I've noticed the fiery core though.

One thing I'm not entirely sure of though, is if we see both Drinal and Luclin from Norrath. Do we get both?
  7. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

kuraan wrote:
    What do you mean by "Do we get both?"
    If you mean an expansion, Drinal is an airless, lifeless, atmosphereless dead rock just like Luna is.
  8. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

kuraan wrote:
    I wasn't sure if we see both, but I can see them both right now.

Anyway, if Luclin does indeed rotate, and its rotation is accurate in game, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which side is still mostly there.
  9. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Getting back to the original intent of this post... Does anyone recall seeing these "Stones of Wisdom" in VT?

If the words of a goddess are powerful enough to drive a man mad, and they were worth carving into stone, the stones must be worth something too.

And if they fell into the hands of a man with a questionable grip on his own sanity... They could be a weapon.

Edit: These?
  10. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

There's a good chance that those stone tablets in VT would be written in the Fleshless tongue, a language that no mortal ever learned. I say no mortal because the Akhevans themselves are immortal and never die of old age, and even come back as spirits after they're killed once.
    That isn't to say it's not indecipherable though. Many Vex Thall loot had hidden lore around them that was only revealed with the Identify spell that some classes had. With this, some players even managed to form a translation guide to many things in Vex Thall. Quite impressive actually, and accurate too. All the mobs with "Thall" in thier name inside VT itself were healer mobs, and Thall ment Priest.
  11. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Yeah, I remember being really into that translation guide when it was first happening. I'd say you're probably right about the Fleshless Tongue bit, but something tells me that one line of story could be all the explanation needed...

Elaborating how that might impact my storyline... I had him going to VT looking for power sources. Happening across the Stones of Wisdom again could reignite his madness and motivate him to use them (or anything he might have found before) with malicious intent, since that was what finally pushed him over the edge in the first place.

Also, yes, the translation guide was quite impressive. So was the amount of detail and thought that went into the initial creation of the Akhevan language.

That's just one of the reasons I loved Luclin so much. Hands down, my favorite expansion. The whole place just had this mystique to it.
  12. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

A little off the topic, but ...
    One of the best places to view Luclin is on Isle of Mara (Fallen Dynasty). This zone has a great sky for viewing. Generally clear and crisp. And with graphic settings on high ... it's easy to see details of Luclin. Anyone can see the core actually genetrating bursts of energy/flames, can see the pieces rotating, and see the center of gravity keeping the pieces in place instead of flying off into space.
    [IMG]

*edited to include the screenshot*
  13. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Nice shot ya got there man.

If the moon really hasn't changed since launch, and the pieces are still that close together, there's room for hope that it's not completely destroyed.

Makes me wonder what Luclin herself has been up to in the years past. Like I said before, if she was that unhappy about outsiders coming to her moon, she had to have been furious when Sol Ro and Rallos Zek blew it up. She can't have been sitting idly all this time.
  14. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

This thread from the EQlive boards clears up a lot about Luclin, and Grieg in particular.

15. ARCHIVED-Deadrus Guest

I dont konw much anything about Grieg Veneficus but about the moon Luclin i strongly belive that there is still life on it. Luclin the Nexus is the hub of the combine spires. In the EoF lore that elf guy that was there when the spries were shut off when the Nexus was invated back in the tomb of destny had a lore about him before EoF came out and he saw and felt the spries reactivate. They were disabled from the moon and I belive reactivated on the moon in the nexus. The elf guy saw a hooded figure once the spires became active agian. I also think the Nexus acts like a Satelite. If you use the spire to port it takes you to the nexus and the nexus routes you to the spire you are trying to get to. I think its only a mater of time before we go back to Luclin. Runis of Luclin or Scars of Luclin.
    Maybe the surviceing members some how were able to have ways to transport them selfs from chunk to chunk?
  16. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

I don't think so about luclin having life. I think the spires reactivating was the direct result of Soluesk Ro's power on Norrath when he returned with the other gods. he is a god of magic, more so, apparently, then Druzzil Ro, since the hiearchy in the Ro familiy is Fennin-Soluesk-Druzzil-Ayonae. the person at the spires wore a red robe, and I believe it mentions him producing or disappearing in a flame.

a great way to convince new followers of his power, wouldn't you say?

"Soluesk Ro is back! the burning prince!"

"So?"

"He's the god of sorcerors, the embodiment of power, how can you not want that as a wizard?!"

"show me something that makes him so powerful."

"He reactivated the Spires."

"You're kidding, seriously!? where is this prophet of his again?"
  17. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

No matter how it happened, the spires are active again, and I doubt very highly that Luclin (goddess) left in the same fashion as the other gods.

Luclin's creations didn't turn on her the way the other deities' creations did. If anything, I'd think she was more active during the last 500 years, rather than less, given that an outside force had been endangering, killing and destroying her most beloved works.

Grieg is a good example of what happens when someone crosses the Maiden of Shadows.

There's no way she hasn't done anything about the state of the moon.

Edit: Added the lore snippet from the aforementioned EQlive thread.
  18. ARCHIVED-Deadrus Guest

Didnt the Invasion of Luclin hapen after the gods had departed? And also the combine empire created the spires the gods did not. If the gods left and if the gods made the spires work the spires would have stoped working when the gods left. The spires stoped working when the attack was made on the nexus. And i belive for the spires to once agian be working the nexus must still be intact in some way or a new nexus must have been built for the use of the spires to be active once more. And also i hope we can get little zone revamps here and there to maybe reveal some combine spires in the old world or DoF content. Cuz i do remember a wizard spire being in the desert of ro (in eq1) you could only see a little bit of it but it worked just fine. Sure Solusek ro is the god of magic but hes more so the god of the fire/sun and since wizard use fire and ice the tend to worship him for the fire part im sure. I dont think he is what reactivated the spires. I think some one on Luclin did.
  19. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Deadrus wrote:
    Or in this case it really could be a case of the gods making the spires work. I believe that the shrouded figure that that elf saw running away from the spires were followers of Solusek Ro.

Who's to say the spires can't work from two different sources?
  20. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

There's a post-PoP thread that reveals that the Combine did not create the spires, but you know how post-PoP lore works with EQ2... it has to be officially acknowledged.

From the Age of Destiny timeline thread stickied in our H&L Forum:

Seems those events were just about concurrent, but the question is: Can we really say they departed if Rallos and Solusek were still around to cause problems? The last line of the entry for The Departure is that each god "raced to turn Norrath in their favor before they left," so I'd say they decided to depart, but didn't actually take off until after the Siege of Luclin.

Also, I'm not sure if I understand by your conditions for the spires being active again... Are you saying that the Luclin spires have to be active for any of the Norrathian spires to work?

Similarly, there's a secondary set of spires on the moon, in Mons Letalis. As I've outlined earlier in the thread, it's possible (though not highly likely) that Grieg got them working, but did not realize they were active because of the impact Luclin made on his sanity.

Another reasonably plausible theory for activation of those spires would be the massive release of magical energy brought about when the Nexus was destroyed. Not only was the Nexus itself an amazing hub of magic, the weapon used to destroy it was an immense magical crystal. Some of that energy could surely have found its way to Grieg's failed spires.

There's a lot of really fantastic information on Luclin compiled in the thread I've been pulling from over on the EQlive boards (click here), and it's definitely worth a read if you're as interested in this as I am.