Grieg Veneficus

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-kuraan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Gukkor2 Guest

Deadrus wrote:
    Actually, Druzzil Ro's the goddess of magic. Solusek is closely associated with magical power, but it's not technically his domain. The same goes for fire, which is the domain of his father, Fennin. Of course, the difference between "fire" and "flame" is pretty fuzzy, but there ya go.
    As for the spires, I think it's definitely conceivable that the Nexus is still around in some form. It was essentially just a big clump of concentrated magical energy. The invasion and the Shattering may have disrupted it for quite some time, but I don't really see why Luclin (or whoever was powering the Nexus) couldn't cause it to reform, and thus for the spires to reactivate whenever she/they wanted, or even why the Nexus couldn't just gradually reform on its own. However, I don't think this means we'll necessarily be going to Luclin, or even that it's still habitable by any stretch. The Nexus may be able to regenerate, but an entire, physical moon certainly can't.
    I'm almost positive, though, that we'll eventually be seeing some sort of Luclin-themed expansion, perhaps a large chunk of the moon that some survivors somehow managed to teleport down to Norrath, or maybe a demi-plane that Luclin transported some of her moon's inhabitants to in order to preserve what she could of the world that she built pretty much single-handedly.
  2. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Gukkor2 wrote:
    She's turned a lifeless rock into a planet before, so I don't see why she couldn't do it again, especially if she had a legendary geomancer at her mercy.

What we really need before we can go too far speculating what could or couldn't happen is some sort of update on the physical state the moon's in now. Per the timeline I found on Wikipedia (not scholarly I know, but good enough for an approximation of when the game began), the EQ2 began in 3721. As of 30 seconds ago when I /time'd, it's the 6th of Lastleaf, 3789 A.N.

Again, according to our stickied timeline thread, the Shattering took place approximately 450-500 years ago, and Luclin was again concealed behind the Great Veil until around when EQ2's timeline began. It's been 60 years since then, with no change in the moon's appearance, and there's really only two possible explanations for this: the moon hasn't changed, or keeping the 3d sky up to date hasn't been a priority.

My money's on the latter.

So basically, we need to know what the moon's physical condition is. It's been a long time since we got an update.
  3. ARCHIVED-Deadrus Guest

Gukkor2 wrote:
    Only reason I threw magic in the list with fire and sun because Rainmare who posted a few before mine said magic. Even if we only get back the largest chunk of the moon that still is going to be quite a large place.
  4. ARCHIVED-Deadrus Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Well the forces of Rallos Zek and Solusek Ro invaded the nexus who's to say they didnt have something with reactivateing it so they could come back to Norrath and come back to their beloved god who had just returned. So the nexus Must be in tact, or at the very least still working.
  5. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Deadrus wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that, but I'll readily grant you that the amount of uncontrolled magic in that space is one hell of a start for a new one if it were to happen that way.

I don't think the spires are linked the way you do... The spires built on Luclin were modeled after the Norrathian spires by the Combine (probably by Grieg himself, before his exile), after their arrival on the moon, but the Norrathian spires (again, per the unsubstantiated teleportation thread) are said to be older than the Combine, made by a civilization whose name has been lost.

So add another thing to the "Confirmation Needed" list.

/em turns on the Vhalen Signal and waits hopefully.
  6. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

To be clear here:
    Council of the Gods happened after Planes of Power events approximately 500 years before EQ2 begins. Quellious set a timeline for them all to do what they need -- 7 mortal days and that's it. It was clearly stated in Tome of Destiny. Then they all left.
    Invasion/Attack of the Nexus happened 500-450 years before EQ2 begins. This apparently shut down the teleportation between the moon and Norrath.
    The Shattering of Luclin happened approximately 20 years before EQ2 begins.
    _____
    The thing here is ... there was a huge span of time between the Invasion and the Shattering -- Almost 400 years. What we don't know is what happened in that span of time and how it ended in the Shattering of Luclin.
    With the Prismatic questline of early EQ2, we were told Kerafyrm, the only prismatic dragon in existence, was responsible for the Shattering ... but the sources were generally unreliable (Nagafen and Darathar), likely because they did lied to us about reasons behind the objectives they gave to us, and they are dragons as well. So ... the other source was those who were on Luclin and they were quite likely be very dead.
    Anyway, from what was described in the Shattering chapter, the explosion appeared to come from within the moon. What would be within the center of Luclin? The Nexus, and where the object that may be the Dresolik crystal/gem was carried through. It was said that Nexus only worked when Luclin came closer to Norrath and teleportation between the planet and the moon is possible in this span of time ... then eventually the moon move further away and the Nexus shut down. So from this premise, the Nexus is not a sole necessity for teleportation ... it helps ... but not the only way.
    Secondly ... also, why would Rallos Zek or Solusek Ro need their troops to return? They may just be an expendable loss to meet their objective - which is probably to transport the crystal into Luclin and to terminate the teleportation system. They are soldiers after all and they did their duty. But then the question was: Did Luclin herself agreed to this action or had Rallos and Solusek acted in their self-interest?
    As for Grieg's survival ... this may be possible. Following the example of the Estate of Unrest, Grieg's End was cursed by Luclin and Grieg was cursed as well. Quellious's curse is apparently so potent that the estate survived the entire craziness that happened in 500 years and it is practically intact even when Dagnor's Cauldron is completely gone and the estate sits on a pillar of rock. And so ... Grieg's End may had survived due to the curse, but whether or not it is still on Luclin or has transported somehow to Norrath is still open to discussion.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Coniaric wrote:
    We do know, via Vhalen, that a great war took place up on Luclin during the 400-odd years that it was shut off from Norrath. the Vah Shir and the Combine Empires were both involved, but we don't know who was fighting who or what the purpose was.
  8. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

That is true. I'd almost forgotten the war. I do remember the Vah Shir, as mentioned, was fighting all way to the end ... which was the Shattering, I'll guess.
    But nothing on who or what they were fighting. Nor why.
    I'll agree on this one.
  9. ARCHIVED-AttilaVigilante Guest

After reading about how the kerra got on to luclin I am now 100% convinced that there could be life on luclin. If the kerra's home was blasted into in the air and "carried" by the godess to the moon and many cats survived I have no doubt that the godess is capable of perserving life upon the shattered moon.
    Now wether or not Luclin was around to save her moon is a good question. But seeing as she was never attacked in the planes she probably didn't feel threatened by the population of Norrath and very likely could have stayed to protect her "creation" when all the other gods left Norrath.
    Perhaps Rallos and Sullesk sent their armies to blow up the moon because Luclin disobeyed the decision of the other gods to leave. Or likely were jealous that she was in complete control of her "planet" and didn't have to leave.
    Eitherway I could see us ending up going to luclin again. And I wouldn't be surprised if the access quest was named "Qeynos, we have a problem."
  10. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

I couldn't even begin to hazard a guess as to why it was Rallos and Solusek that did it. There are more vindictive gods in the Pantheon that I'd expect to be involved before I'd pick Rallos and Sol Ro.

The only way I can see Luclin being involved in such an attack on her own creation is if we (the intrepid adventurers) had completely wiped out her Akhevans. If "outsiders" were the only people left on the moon, I could see her giving us the finger by allowing its destruction.

Wish we could get a red name in here to fill in some of the blanks.

And yes, I know he'd create new ones for us in the process. I'm a masochist, what of it?
  11. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

kuraan wrote:
    Well ... you know ... first of all, Rallos Zek's creations (the orges, the giants, etc) started the First Rallosian Empire that eventually invaded the planar realms. Rallos himself advocated that army. Rallos' creations then were cursed and scattered.
    And Solusek Ro ... it was said that in a fit of jealousy or something ... he caused the mountains of Serpent's Spine to rise and it led to the fall of Takish-Hiz and the exodus of the Elves to Faydwer.
    Both of them had agreed to just wipe out the mortal races. Solusek had that gem (Dresolik) sitting in his tower in his plane probably for that purpose.
    I'm not sure if there are anyone more or less vindictive than either one of them.
    Then there's Luclin ... she had few things in mind, but she's not telling what they were and she took the protection of her moon quite seriously against the outsiders. But yet, she took on said outsiders onto her moon - the Vah Shir, the Combine Loyalists / Seru Inquisitors, and the Shissar. Centuries later ... her moon was destroyed and a total loss of her creations. (I know that there are some who do believe that there may be something still alive on the shattered moon.)
    And sure, she probably would have saved her creations and whoever else if she desired to. But ... could she?
    Honestly ... we'll be all talking in circles for a long while on this topic. There just isn't anything more until whatever get revealed by a developer or two.
    Though, it would be truly interesting to see what Luclin will do in EQ2 if it'll come to that. Gods had returned ... I'm sure it includes Luclin ... and that means she's free to do anything now.
  12. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

here's another thought.

Luclin is gone.

The gods stated before that thier powers were weakened, and that some demi-planes had ceased to be. Luclin was not a full goddess, but a Demi-Goddess. could it be the reason she didn't stop the destruction of luclin, was becuase she no longer was around? that her plane was one of the ones that had faded away?
  13. ARCHIVED-Gukkor2 Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    It's possible that her plane faded away, but it's never stated that the gods themselves faded away with them. The gods simply became too weak to sustain planes of their own, which probably means they shacked up with a deity who's plane was still intact until their own power was sufficiently regenerated. Being the reclusive and antisocial goddess that she is, I imagine that if the Plane of Shadow faded (and I doubt that to be the case), Luclin would instead go set up a temporary realm on an "unruled" plane like Ethernere or somewhere similar.
  14. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Rainmare@Oasis wrote:
    I think her designation as a "Demi-Goddess" is just semantics here. We're not dealing with a being of trifling abilities here... Luclin turned a barren rock into a fertile mini planet, with an atmosphere and complete ecosystem.

Few have even attempted such a feat, let alone met with the success that she did.

I'd be much more inclined to believe that Luclin never actually left like the rest of the Pantheon did, chiefly because her creations never turned on her. There's no mention of her being at the meeting of the gods, which sounds an awful lot like the first time the gods convened.

Luclin was there, in the shadows, watching it all unfold.
  15. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Gukkor2 wrote:
    She is a full goddess. The Gods are seperated into 3 catagories.
    Major God of Influence: A god who controls a major element or emotion. Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Love, Valor, Hate, Growth, Tranquility, Disease, Weather, War, Magic, the Sun, the Sky, the Ocean, Health, etc.
    Lesser God of Influence: A god who controls a lesser element or emotion: Greed, Lust, the Shadows, Nightmares, Dreams, Tactics, Strategy, etc.
    Demi-God: Mortal turned god to rule over a certain element or emotion: Pain and Torment, Envy, Music, etc.
  16. ARCHIVED-liinc Guest

wow I read this entire thread , I am really enjoying all this. I was a bit upset when I found out luclin was destroyed but maybe it wasn't?

If indeed the nexus is somewhat intact and is the lifeforce the binds the planet why couldn't luclin be restored. The planet was formed from nothing.

What if the past 70 years what you though you seen in the skies on Norrath were the crumbling remains of the moon, but instead was a shroud to help protect the rebuilding of Luclin back to power. The shroud would decieve the gods into thinking the planet is in disaray and ruins, while Luclin slowly plots her vengeful revenge on Norrath.
  17. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

liinc wrote:
    Glad you're enjoying the thread. It's been enlightening for me as well.

As to the shroud idea, I suppose it's plausible. The Great Veil has hidden Luclin from our eyes before, so it's not unreasonable to think something similar could be going on.

Really, all of this hinges on the condition the moon is in currently... But if we are indeed headed there next, I wouldn't expect any kind of hard information on the subject for a few months yet. I think it's much too early to expect the dev team to tip their hand as to the story of the next expansion.
  18. ARCHIVED-RatWithGun Guest

Well thinking about what i knew about Luclin from when i played EQ1, If the explosion came from within the moon it makes me think of The Deep and what also had an access point from The Deep, the shissar temple i don't think any God would destroy the realm of another god because of the retaliation which would occur but prehaps the moon was destroyed by an insane xenophobic race who believed themselves to be godlike, in an act of desperation against the Rallosian and Sol Ro army or maybe it was planned event to hide the teleportation of the temple back to Norrath. Maybe the attack on luclin was launched to attack the Shissar because if you were going to remove your influence from mortals you certainly didnt want them to learn of it since all they feared was the green mist and with that gone they surely would of conquered all of Norrath.
  19. ARCHIVED-Marialle Guest

Interesting thought: What if Emperor Ssraeshza was somehow involved, be it from the events from 500+ years ago, the war on Luclin a hundred years later, or even recent?
  20. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

RatWithGun wrote:
    That zone-in from The Deep to Ssra Temple was one-way only. Players could only travel into the temple, not into the Deep from the temple itself. Despite being a game mechanic, I don't think the Shissar could go down there either. For starters, they'd have to deal with the Thought Horror Overfiend right off the bat.