Grieg Veneficus

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-kuraan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Wluil Guest

Bandorn@Venekor wrote:
    "...she likes to be hidden." It suddenly struck me that with her being the goddess of shadows and all, she probably has powers of illusion well within her grasp. Also, if I remember correctly didn't Luclin have rings back in EQ1 days? If so, could it be that the explosion was simply a ruse, an illusion that took advantage of the chaotic time on Norrath (which she would have witnessed not having withdrawn) amplified by her flinging debris from the existing rings down to the planet for some added realistic effect. I mean what better way to protect Luclin and keep people from trying to come up, than to represent its wholesale destruction behind an illusionary shroud.

For all we know, it's sitting behind a shiny curtain in the sky whole and happy.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Wluil wrote:
    Thats what many of us thought as well, before it was revealed that those celestial bodies we saw up in the Plane of Sky were planets, not moons.
  3. ARCHIVED-Psychotic One Guest

Its entirely possible that the shadowmen invasion is all Luclin's doing. She could be pissed that the gods allowed their children to interfere with her realm. The final straw could have been Ro and Sol invading the nexus and she purposly cut off the nexus letting no one in our out. She spent the past few centuries clensing her planet of the invaders. She may have spared the Vah Shir and bent them to her as followers or granted them sanctuary if they helped her. Once all the invaders were parished is when she "blew up" the moon. She probably placed a new illusion over Luclin to hide the fact it was there and has been opening the nexus portals long enough now to send Shadowmen to Norrath in an effort to seek revenge. The gods had ruined her lands....now its time to ruin their lands. (couldnt' resist)

Probably find out more in the next expansion but I like my theory and am sticking with it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Ghene@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    The Shadowmen invaded Norrath long before Luclin was ever discovered. How does that make any sense?
  5. ARCHIVED-Psychotic One Guest

In live I never got the impression the shadowmen were invading. Heck correct me if I'm wrong but weren't there only one camp of them and they were just there to get the raiper for jboots? Not much of an invasion. As for why they were there. If you wanted to ensure your solitude and safety of your land wouldn't you plant spys and sentries to warn or sabatoge attempts to activate the nexus spires?

Its just a fun theory from me. And until some solid lore comes out explaining who, what, and why is behind the invasion and concrete data on luclin...its all just theory
  6. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

I noticed a couple of separate posts offering an interesting theory of Goddess Luclin creating another "illusionary" veil displaying the "exploded moon". It's a good theory.
    But Luclin had been behind the Veil since ... well ... ever. It was never visible for years, centuries even. There was one known occasion that Luclin was unveiled ... that was to the Combine Empire hundreds of years before EQ and EQ2. Then early in the 500-year span, teleportation was cut off.
    A section from Tome of Destiny "The Shattering":
    She stopped when she noticed the sky over the water begin to shimmer and grow brighter.

"What is that?" Sarven asked.

"Some kind of distortion is forming. Whatever it is, it's enormous."

The flickering light coalesced. There, in the sky before them, was a round moon circled by an ephemeral ring.

"By the gods!" Tielya exclaimed. "Can that be Luclin?"

"I read about it growing up, but access to the moon was lost centuries ago. It was said to be hidden behind some kind of veil. Why would it be visible now?"

As he spoke, the moon began to glow brighter. Lines of energy arced across its surface as if the entire sphere crackled with power.

"What is happening?" she asked.

"Tielya, cover your eyes," he told her.

"But it's so beautiful."

"Cover your eyes!"

For an instant the sky flashed as bright as day. Sarven squinted and shielded his eyes with his arm. After a moment the light dimmed, and he looked up to see Luclin broken apart in the sky, a wave of energy carrying chunks of debris rapidly toward Norrath.

"We need to go quickly," he said. I don't know how far away Luclin is, but it looks like pieces of it will be hitting soon."

"Sarven," she said softly, her eyes staring forward.

"Yes?"

"I can't see anymore."

"What do we know?" he asked.

"Very little," the informant replied. "Most in Freeport were asleep when it happened, though of course the intensity of the light awoke them."

"Can we even confirm it was Luclin?"

"Some who claim to have been to the Plane of Sky long ago agreed it looked like what they saw there, but who can say for certain? The planes play tricks on the eyes, and nothing may be what it appears. If it was Luclin, it was not as distant as many thought."

"Any idea as to the cause?"

"Just rumors. Luclin has been cut off from us for so long now, many had all but forgotten about it. The priests think its destruction is a portent that the gods will soon return. Others speak of an invasion that happened there long ago and claim this is the result. The ogres blame it on gnome meddling; the humans suspect the ratonga. The Overlord has begun an investigation of his own, but at this point nothing is certain."

"How bad are the casualties?"

"Too many to count. The largest pieces hit first, causing huge impact craters and scorching the lands. The Arcane Scientists claim that debris may be falling for years, perhaps even decades. They simply don't know."

She smiled faintly as she stared straight ahead with sightless eyes. "The moon was so clear. It was alive with energy flowing through every part of it. Then it was as if something in the center broke loose and leapt outward, like a bird of prey hatching from an egg. I couldn't turn away. It was so beautiful."

Since Luclin was behind the Veil, and with teleportation gone, people started to forget about the moon. Beside, they had other concerns to worry about ... 2nd Rallosian War, War of the Faydarks, the Rending, etc. I'm sure by the end of 500-year span, only people who remembered or cared about Luclin are likely to be the scholars and those who have long lifespan. Teleportation didn't even work anymore (at the time before EoF) so nobody can even travel up to the moon.
    So why Luclin even bothered to cast another illusionary veil when so many already forgot? That's only if she was an exception to the rule ... which I doubt other deities would allow.
    *shrug*
    Edited to add another part.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Coniaric wrote:
    To be more precise, it was mentioned it showed up once every month, during it's revolution around Norrath. During it's Full moon cycle, if you will.
  8. ARCHIVED-Coniaric Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Interesting.
    Still, why did the human in the story said he read about it while growing up? Also both of the couple acted like they never seen it before? Also the claims made by people who (supposedly) had been to the Plane of Sky and said it was like what they had seen?
    Maybe I was mistaken and you meant during the period of the Combine Empire? Or EQLive?