Grieg Veneficus

Discussion in 'History and Lore' started by ARCHIVED-kuraan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Rinion Guest

kuraan wrote:
    The gods did not destroy Luclin. Zek and Ro's one and ONLY goal was to shut down the Nexus, they also shut down the means to travels through the Plane of knowledge.
    What was their purpose in this? Cutting off Norrath from reinforcements. Shutting off these routes of travel completely negated any chance the major cities of Norrath had to bring in reinforcements and was supposed to make it easier for their allied armies to defeat.
    This was all in the hopes that their creations would be the dominate powers of norrath when the gods returned. Making them the most powerful in the pantheon.
    Luclin was destroyed by one of two possibilities. The Sleeper or mortal tampering with Ro's crystal left i nthe nexus to disrupte it's energies.
    personally I am in favor of the Sleeper and would love for that story line to continue
  2. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

His name is Kerafyrm, not "The Sleeper".
  3. ARCHIVED-Marialle Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Defensive, aren't we?
  4. ARCHIVED-Gukkor2 Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Actually, his full name would be Kerafyrm the Awakened.
  5. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Rinion wrote:
    I don't know where you're getting this, but the Dresolik crystal was carried into the Nexus by Zek's armies and detonated, not only destroying the travel hub, but dealing massive damage to the moon itself.

The moon may have been collateral damage, but don't for a minute think that it wasn't a direct result of Zek and Ro's detonating a massive bomb on top of an incredible energy source.
  6. ARCHIVED-teddyboy420 Guest

kuraan wrote:
    While I am personally of the opinion that it was the detonation of the Dresolik crystal inside the Nexus that caused the Shattering, it has never been confirmed that that was indeed the cause. I think it's far more likely then Kerafyrm being responsible. Although maybe Kerafyrm did somehow, for some reason, get involved with the ongoing war on Luclin (although I really couldn't imagine why unless he was striking out at the gods) and somehow "ignited" the crystal which resulted in the Shattering. I really don't think he had anything to do with the Shattering, but it is possible.

I think the explosion, in addition to killing most everything beneath the planets surface, probably ignited the atmosphere as well killing most of the surface dwellers. That being said, it's not much of a stretch that some beings, maybe even large parts of entire civilizations survived the Shattering. Luclin was known to personally intervene in the affairs of the residents of her domain many times, and I could definitely see her stepping in on behalf of her creations and other residents she had taken an interest in. As someone said, Quellious's curse on Unrest was powerful enough that the entire place survived intact despite the total destruction of everything around it, so I see no reasons Luclin's curse on Greig couldn't persist. And I have to mention the Sshissar of course, they were such a powerful race I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out they are still around.
  7. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Gukkor2 wrote:
    No, just Kerafyrm. "The Awakened" would be a title.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gukkor2 Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Shut up, you're ruining my attempt to out-correct you!
  9. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Unless Grieg and Luclin (godling) got together and fabricated an illusion of Luclin (moon) was destroyed while tossing a few large chunks of rock at Norrath...
  10. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

So what we have is 450 years ago, armies from two of the major gods invade the nexus and all communication and travel to Luclin is cut off.
    430 years after that Luclin becomes visable and explodes causing the shattering as peices of Luclin rain down on Norrath.
    There is mention of some kind of war where the Vah Shir fought to the bitter end.
    There is a possibility that certain things happened. Luclin is a god. Luclin would have to abide by the agreement made between the gods of not interfering. If Luclin argued that her moon was not Norrath and remained...the other gods could act against her. Sending your forces to enfoce the will of the gods wouldn't be against the agreement that the gods would not have their presence felt if they were acting on behalf of the agreement made.
    Luclin would not perish easily, and she would not go quietly. In her own domain, even the combined forces of Zek and Fennin Ro would not be able to sweep her away. Without her influence it is possible that the nexus irrupted destroying the moon. It is also possible that blowing up the moon was one last act of defiance on her part. One last peice of madness.
    There is nothing to say that she is, or is not still in existance. If you look at the necro epic weapon you see evidence that some gods are gone. Those are the last remains of a demi-goddess!
    As for Greig himself...from how the passages read Luclin isn't continuing his madness. She was preventing him from doing things that would end his life. Prolonging his wreched, tourtured existance partially out of amusement and partially out of spite. Ending his captivity would most likely result in his maddess spreading, not ending.
  11. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Meirril wrote:
    On the other hand though, Luclin has always kept to the shadows. The ONLY time we ever hear of her interfering with the mortals themselves is Greig himself, and I believe she only did that just for fun. She didn't get involved with the mortals fighting the Akheva or the Combine empires or the Shissar or anything.
    From what the creation story hinted at, she didn't even let the other gods know of her presence because she always kept to the shadows and took Luclin for themselves without telling anyone.
  12. ARCHIVED-DMIstar Guest

Marialle wrote:
    I have to kinda agree with this.. They ported themselves there.. But clearly made themselves Secluded.. They wanted nothing to do with the outside... Infact only Shissar i Remember off hand that was not near SSRA was the taskmaster near SH .. I think he was a sneak peak type thing as well...

The temple was largly underground in a inhabitable area.. Hell you needed your own air device/spell just be where they where at. 450 years of a locked up Luclin with no one bothering them is a long time for them to get what they wanted done, accomplished.. And I bet luclin Wasnt to happy with thier results or plans.. Also I dont think they wanted to stay where they are forever either...

Other THen that We have Vah Shir Empire.. Which i highty doubt sought after the shissar to kill them.. And I dont think the Vah shir where looking to tamper with anything that would blight Luclin.. We also have Katta
    san seru Empires there. Would they stir up something ? .. Grieg was put in his own little world to keep him occupied..

The only other thing i could think of, that still remains the big mystery in Luclin is the Locked/Guarded Doors in Shadowheaven other then a "Great Evil" being told about it, Nothing was realy leaked on it. These doors are still closed of with EQ today.
  13. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    This has pretty much been Luclin's MO forever. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she wasn't even involved in the gods' pact to remove their influence, and I'd be even less surprised if she was and decided to violate it in secret.

She's had her own agenda since she arrived on the scene, and I can't imagine her being too jazzed about Rallos and Solusek jacking up her most prized possessions.

Meirril makes a good point about some demi-gods being gone (example being Vazaelle the Mad from the necro epic), but I don't think that's the case for Luclin. Vazaelle was elevated to demi-god status by Cazic-Thule, and given a corner of his plane to call her own. Luclin, however, was not a mortal-turned-god as far as we know, and acts of creation are generally a full god thing.

On a related note, Vazaelle's divinity and plane being revoked were a result of Cazic's waning influence. This is something that Luclin might be fortunate enough to never have to worry about. Shadows will always exist as long as there is light. This fact, coupled with the return of Solusek Ro and Mithaniel Marr (both counterparts to Luclin in their own ways) really leads me to believe that Luclin is not suffering the same fate as the other gods of the pantheon.
  14. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

kuraan wrote:
    Are you suggesting that the removal of the gods from direct involvement with Norrath gave everybody a warm and fuzzy feeling? If all Cazic needed was fear, he should of been stuffed to the gills and too fat to care about anything for 500 years. Something more has to be involved here, since the shattering and rending would of been feast days for Cazic.
    And just because you arn't part of a pact made amongst the rest of the gods doesn't mean they wouldn't enforce it on you. The major gods in the pathenon are known for being strong willed, determined, and vindictive. (see desert of ro, greenmist, Kithicor Forest, Unrest for examples.) Luclin's realm was a common travel point for adventurers of the type that would invade the planes, it isn't like it was a secret when the pact was made.
    Also, if Luclin was classified as a demi-god, it means she was a lesser god beholden to some greater power (either a greater or lesser god) and not truely independant. I'm not sure who classified her as a demi-god though.
  15. ARCHIVED-kuraan Guest

Meirril wrote:
    Cazic was one of the gods that willfully withdrew his influence. I don't really think it was coincidence that he was among the first to return either, for essentially the reason you listed. Fear is always around.

But Luclin has never been a player deity, and the shadows always manage to find some manner of worship. Mithaniel and Solusek's return provides a strong counterpart to Luclin's influence if she's still around. Doesn't ever seem to take long for a nemesis to present itself when a religion gains steam. All speculation here, of course.

As to that pact... This would be where we need someone *cough* Vhalen *cough* to let us know what the state of Luclin's relationship with the other gods is. She's always preferred to stay out of the rest of the pantheon's dealings, and I don't see why this pact would be any different, but there are important things we don't know about her in the years since we went and jacked up her little pet planet.

And the reason I mentioned her as a demi-goddess was because I thought I remembered her plane being called the demi-plane of shadows in the old manuals and site lore... A quick check of Myrist shows that I remembered that wrong. My bad.
  16. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    Yes there has. The specular lighting and details have changed a bit. The moon used to look dusty and veiled from the noob isle on the Q side. It is definitely more clear and detailed. Also the molten core seems to have less "leaking" on the cracks where its broken. I'll look for screenies and try to post.
  17. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    The elf that ran was the elf that ported out in the original story from launch. He was the survivor that went to get help, no? Or was he one of the Felwithe elves that went with the guy who ran for help and tried to port but couldn't....
  18. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

Ok, Lemme clear this out.
    Luclin is a full goddess. She was there and around while the gods were claiming and creating. She chose to sit back and watch them and not act. Because she waited for the dust to settle between the gods (veeshan droping her brood, brell claiming the underfoot, tunare and the elves,...) she chose to claim luclin the moon, as no one seemed to want it.
    So even though she may be listed as a demi-goddess or a lesser god, She really isn't, she is not a god of major influence because she chose not to be.
    As it was stated before, she never had her planar realm invaded by the races as she kept watch over the moon. the only influence by her that was ever displayed was her trying to prevent outsiders from coming to her lil land.
    She never had to withdraw power from Norrath as she never influenced it. Keep in mind she likes to be hidden. So I would be safe in saying myself, that when the gods left, she stayed to observe cause thats what she does.
  19. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Bandorn@Venekor wrote:
    The thing to remember is this: Demi-Gods are Mortals-turned-Gods. Lesser Gods are full-blown gods from default, who simply choose a lesser represented element. It does not mean they are already naturally weaker than the greater gods of influence.
  20. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Bandorn@Venekor wrote:
    Trying to split hairs between Luclin (the moon) and the rest of Norrath would be like trying to claim that New Taanan should of been left alone because it wasn't on the same plane of existance as Norrath. It is infested with the same mortals that invaded the planes and the reason the Gods made this pact in the first place. Expecting the other gods to ignore Luclin is wishful thinking as was evidenced by the invasion of Rallos's and Fennin's armies.
    Now she (Luclin) may not have become involved in the battles on the moon Luclin. This would beg the question: what was the battle then? It could be that 480 years ago Luclin was imprisoned by said armies and she exploded the moon when she escaped. It isn't something I'll claim happened, but it fits the known facts as well as other theories.