Fiery Blast relegated to useless after today's patch

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Udonn, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Udonn Active Member

What happened to FB?? Did 2 PQ's today, and didn't do anything differently, yet my FB, which used to be near or on the top of my parse, is now relegated to close to the bottom. Huge nerf from what I see.

I started this wizard a couple months ago, so can't compare the older FB and see what others were complaining about, but after today's patch, it's basically useless, at least on PQ's.
  2. Trak Member

Most abilities are useless on PQs, it's kind of a bad metric.
  3. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Yeah, yikes, don't test on a pq.

Dummy testing is good, but you have to realize the damage will be inflated by almost double what you will actually do in a KA heroic.
  4. Udonn Active Member

Using PQ's as a reference, as I've been solo since coming back after a 2 year hiatus. I've been parsing PQ's for the last couple months, so have a good frame of reference to compare with. Today's patch nerfed damaged of FB bad.
  5. Zelox Active Member

it wasnt nerfed, it just didnt do anything to fix the bugs in coding
  6. Udonn Active Member

Well, on Fens and JW pq's, FB usually was in the top 3 of my parse.

Today, it was hitting at for 223 on JW with a max hit of 1161 and a min of 263. On Fens it was 235.45 with a max of 1014 and a min of 57.

Comparing this to the 1st of the month on JW, where FB dps was 772.814.73 with a max hit of 61,290,281 and a min hit of 370,155. Looks like a nerf to me.

I've been parsing PQ's for 2 months, and it was always near the top. Today, it was in the bottom 10 of my parse, and I didn't do anything any different.
  7. Freeheroic! Member

I'm having a bit of a different experience. I'm in a ToV progression guild, and today fiery blast is doing absurd amounts of damage. Hitting for a median 1.9billion where my next highest spell has a median 1.5mil. I'm doing 15-20x the dps of our next highest t1.

Something is fubarred.
  8. Chillispike Active Member

1.5mil or 1.5bil for the next?
    Akward Unda spiritus is mostly either in front of it or at least near it.
  9. Zelox Active Member

shhh freeheroic im trying to level my wizard on TLE before this gets fixed
    Feldon likes this.
  10. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Last night on multiple fights our wizard's fiery blast was the hardest hitting spell on the parse. We do not have many people with master or grandmaster ascension spells, but still, it was hitting for over 4 billion. I hope this is a step in the right direction for wizards.
  11. Yards Well-Known Member

The problem isn't when it is suppose to be hitting for 4 billion. The problem is when it is suppose to be hitting much harder than 4 billion, the damage rollovers/stops counting or some other weird phenomenon.
  12. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

interesting. So it should be assumed that a wizard with 22k potency should be having a fiery blast hit much harder than 4 billion? If this were the case, it would certainly put wizards back where they belong.

I mean, it only makes sense to me that as a summoner, my dps is sustained whereas a wizard would be more bursty. Therefore, a wizard should have spells that hit harder than my spells, just perhaps not quite as consistently. I hope they continue working on this, because fiery blast is at least better than it was before.
  13. Yards Well-Known Member

4 billion is not a lot, especially for an ability that is on a 1.15 min cooldown. My unda averages 1.5 billion and has high hits of 5 billion, and that is instant cast and has a cooldown of every 15 seconds. I think summoners soulburn hits for 4+ billion if the summoner knows what they are doing.
  14. Freeheroic! Member

1.9bil for fiery blast, 1.5mil for next highest hitting ability. Yes, fiery blast is doing more than 1000x my next highest hitting ability. Something is exceptionally messed up.

(I'm lvl 95 so I am 3 expacs behind)
  15. Freeheroic! Member

Just posting regarding two abilities that I've noticed are SEVERELY broken since last patch.

Fiery Blast - Since last patch it is currently hitting for 1000x as hard as my next highest hitting ability, literally. Raid mobs are dropping in increments of 20% it's crazy.
    Fanatic's Protection - Since last patch (I think, I don't play my inquisitor much), it is increasing group health by 450% instead of 45%.

For what it's worth, I'm just level 95, and it doesn't seem like these issues are happening at cap. In fact for fiery blast at least, it seems like lvl 100 players are complaining it doesnt do anything at all anymore.
  16. Zelox Active Member

I'll give you guys an idea of how it's working later since most people still arent understanding
  17. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I need to learn what I'm doing wrong on soulburn. The only time I can get it to hit hard is if there is an inquizitor in my group. Other than that, it is below 1billion, usually like 600-800mil.

And to be clear, my statement was that the fiery blast at a bit over 4billion was our RAID's highest parsing attack. Not just that wizard's highest parsing attack. So that's why I'm saying it's in a better spot, if not necessarily where it should be.

edit: max hit, not best parsing skill overall.
  18. Zelox Active Member

Well here's the full story about fiery blast -
    Fiery blast wasn't coded to handle stat inflation so as a consequence my theory is that the value of fiery blast is only being held in a 32-bit unsigned integer which is: The 32-bit unsigned int data type can hold integer values in the range of 0 to 4,294,967,295. So what this means is that fiery blast can not store a value higher than that... anyway, caith went to fix it and said it was an issue with double casting resetting the value (which definitely isn't the case) BUT because he thinks this was it he changed some mechanics to let SDA add to fiery blast damage BUT the multiplier of SDA affecting fiery blast is WAY off like 2 decimal places, so if you have 100% sda instead of multiplying fiery blast's dmg by 2x its multiplying it by something insane like 100x or something i dont feel like reverse engineering the faulty math that is being used but anyway... SO THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT SO READ THIS: if caith leaves the abilities mechanics that he "fixed" as is, but then eventually figures out the actual underlying issue of why it's rolling over at a certain point what will happen is that wizards will be able to hit fiery blasts for LITERALLY A TRILLION DAMAGE. So basically I'm just making this post in hopes that caith sees it and doesn't push something that massively broken

(unfortunately i can't see the code base so I pretty much have to baby sit for this)
  19. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

And what I was seeing in raid last night with the fiery blast as the max hit spell vs a few bosses is in line with that just over 4bil number...
  20. Zelox Active Member

but it's counter intuitive it's not the "right direction" the spell is MASSIVELY more broken than it was before he started messing creating a MASSIVE scalability issue that if the underlying issue gets fixed could potentially one shot raid mobs lol