Fiery Blast relegated to useless after today's patch

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Udonn, Feb 14, 2017.

1. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I just meant it was evidence to what you're saying is correct since the number I remember seeing matches almost exactly with the number you gave. Definitely not the right direction if it turns out to be that broken.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

I've got two Wizzie mains (yeah yeah, I know...but one was a longstanding member of the now-departed Nagafen, and the other has been merged across about four different PvE servers over the last 12 years). I'm logging on right now to test this. /Petition it, and I will too, if anything seems amiss.

As for the Inq, I don't really play those. Maybe somebody else here will be able to pinpoint what's going on with that one.
  3. Freeheroic! Member

Yeah so here's two ZW parses for the same zone, the one on the left is after patch, the one on the right is before the patch. The top line in each is the wizard.
    [IMG] [IMG]

Here are the max hits for those zones for the wizard, left is after patch, right is before patch.
    [IMG] [IMG]
  4. Zelox Active Member

well like I said, that is only a theory, I'm not a good programmer it's just something that seems to be within the realm of possibility. I was mostly just trying to save everyone's time including caith's when it comes to this issue.
    (but i guess i can be a little too a.nal sometimes i suppose)
  5. Freeheroic! Member

Edit: Just talked to a real inquisitor and he said fanatic's protection is working as intended, that the 45% increase applies per increment so its normal for it to increase hp to that extent.
  6. Cragfire Well-Known Member

They finally fixed wizards.. Nice. :)
    Snikkety and DoomDrake like this.
  7. Ashandra Well-Known Member

So change it to some thing like elemental blast it still does the the same amount of intended damage but is made up of multiple hits instead of 1 massive script breaking one.
  8. Veta Well-Known Member

That Yard's guy tends to over-exaggerate and if you look, he said, "I think." My solo soulburns without Inq buffs are usually around 1.5-1.6billion. With Inq buffs I don't think I've broken 4bil without some sort of special crit. With Inq buffs I believe I average somewhere around 3.6bil.
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  9. Yards Well-Known Member

3.6 is close enough to 4 billion for me. I didn't have any parses in front of me to get the exact number. Anyway if you were just a little bit better you would hit 4+ billion.
  10. Veta Well-Known Member

To me its 400mil off of 4bil. I don't try to think I am better than I currently am.
  11. Yards Well-Known Member

We can work on this veta, I will help you improve. First things first you need to get an orange helmet, boots, gloves, and then training will start.
  12. Veta Well-Known Member

Do I need to wear the helmet as tight? I am trying to stay humble.
  13. Zelox Active Member

I understand your point but there is a problem with this. Fiery blast is one of the best designed abilities in EQ2 along with Victorious Concerto. The reason for this is because the ability has relative value to how well you synergize with it, it's dynamic. There are static abilities (an example being strike of consistency) where the value is always the same. If the value is always the same and never dependent on skill it becomes boring, however with dynamic abilities there are conditionals that create dynamic value keeping a player more interested in the combat, the reason for this is because mastery is fun for humans and its a way of fostering that human desire, they can see themselves always improving in certain situations, etc. etc. it's a skill thing, people are always trying to improve, its a basic psychological principle idea. More abilities in this game should have dynamic value, but that requires more thought, creativity, and balance, but they are just more fun. So it'd be nice to keep the concept of FB how it is.

DPS is a game of value. How do I get the maximum value out of what I have? It becomes way too boring if combat is completely static, for example, just imagine having 1 button to press over and over with the same static value and how boring that would be. This is like that but on a much smaller scale obviously.
  14. Ashandra Well-Known Member

But couldn't the fiery blast still work the same you strife to do the perfect chain so it hits as high as you can get it just the end blast is delivered in multi hits not a number that breaks stuff it's still same damage just it's in say 5 chunks?.
  15. Zelox Active Member

Honestly, if caith does have the ability to scrap the current FB code and just turn it into a proc based buff that would be fine... the proc would basically work the same as the ability does now but instead of calculating everything for the hit at the end it could just be *with prestige* (.45* (dmg of the ability you just cast)) during the 10 second window... but honestly just fixing the current issue might be easier than that.
  16. Zelox Active Member

if it is a data type issue it may be as simple as allowing fiery blast to hold a value of an unsigned long int (0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615). but the code is likely much more complex than just changing one data type lol, but it's still an idea and makes more sense intuitively than it being derived from a double cast issue.
  17. Veta Well-Known Member

If you are going to copy/paste stuff from your google search, you could at least fix the font. =P

Edit: LOL It even changed it in my quote for me, that's amazing.
  18. Zelox Active Member

hahahaha my bad
  19. Freeheroic! Member

bump. any devs out there care that fiery blast is hitting for 2 billion damage at lvl 95? and apparently 0 damage at lvl 100?
  20. Yards Well-Known Member

I just saw you do a 6+ billion soulburn so don't sell yourself short.