Elfar’s Carnivorous Plant Journal

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, and New Player Questions' started by ARCHIVED-LordAdder, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-LordAdder Guest

Elfar’s Carnivorous Plant Journal
    (A How-to for the care and harvest of your pet houseplant)
    After hours of scouring the EQII websites and forums scattered across the web, I discovered that there is a dismal amount of info pertaining to the Carnivorous Plant. So I decided to collect everything that I could find and put it all into one location with the hopes that others will eventually add their discoveries to this thread. Much of this information came from Your Houseplant and You *Carnivorous Plant Guide* located in this forum. Many thanks to the posters there. I did not include all personal credits because there were just too many single submissions in these forums and other sites, so if anyone feels that I have slighted them (which I certainly have no wish to do), please say so here or send me a message and I will give you credit. I will periodically update this post as new information is found or posted by others. So without further adieu
    Included in the Kingdom of Sky (KoS) expansion (if bought from a retailer), is a Carnivorous Plant housepet. You receive your bonus Plant by using the /Claim command (or the Claim button in the Start Button menu) and choose from a variety of colors – Vibrant, Blue, Green, Red (I chose the Blue and am quite happy with it’s look). Be sure to register the account key for the expansion by going to your account on the Sony website. If you forget this step, you will not be able to claim your gift until you do so (I know this from personal experience – DOH)!
    After claiming your new plant-pet, you will find that it’s option window includes place, plant, & name. Give your pet it’s new name, and then decide whether you want to place or plant it in your home. By placing it, you will notice that it is not a stationary plant, but moves about your home on its rootlegs, occassionally stopping to root itself and rest. Planting it roots your pet for awhile, but it will eventually begin to move on its own. You can now use the usual housepet commands including pet, attack, and pickup, AND, most importantly, you can feed, water, and fertilize it. Doing so keeps your plant healthy and happy, and in return, it shows its appreciation by producing useful (and some not-so-useful) by-products of its unique digestive system. This journal’s purpose is to catalogue the care of your pet plant and the by-products that it will produce for you.
    (Note – For those of you who do not own a pet plant due to not purchasing KoS or who went the digital download route, it is rumored that you can feed another players plant and harvest the resulting item. Find a friend or guildie who owns one and you too can benefit from this symbiotic relationship!)
    Giving the plant varying amounts of the following looted items from defeated sentient beings will often result in a single-charge potion of some type, or any of a variety of items from fruit (rotten or edible) to roots to toadstools, all with a wide assortment of effects from a heal or power-heal to DD items, Evac, Invis, and DPS modifiers! In the following list, the number indicates the approximate level of the mob from which the item was looted and hence, an indicator of the zones in which they can be found and the corresponding teir of the item. The drops are not common and probably rank between uncommon and rare in their frequency.
    10 pouch of peat
    10 flask of rancid water
    10 small decaying bone
    20 small bag of amomonia sulphate
    20 flask of stale water
    20 large decaying bone
    30 small bag of muriate of potash
    30 flask of pond water
    30 small polished bone
    40 small bag of diatomaceous earth
    40 flask of fresh water
    40 large polished bone
    50 small bag of ammonium nitrate
    50 flask of pure water
    50 small meaty bone
    60 small bag of guano
    60 flask of aerated water
    60 meaty bone
    70 small bag of compost
    70 flask of enchanted water
    70 large meaty bone
    [/QUOTE]
    Feeding your plant to produce a useful product requires (as far as has been determined to date) at least one item from each category – fertilizer, water, & food. Varying the quantity of each, the order each item is given, and the level of each item produces different products. It has also been speculated that each color variation of the plant produces its own unique set of products (or rather the same product with slightly different stats) or requires a different set of items to produce the desired product. This has yet to be verified. Also, one person has noticed that if your items are in your Bank, House Vault (not in Broker mode), or Inventory, they will be taken and used - lowest components are used first, so if you have items that you do NOT wish to give to your plant, put them in your vault for sale (set the price ridiculously high if you don't want them purchased by another player - ie. 100,000 Plat. At the end of this journal is a list of known combinations and the resulting products, all of which appear to be Lore, No-Trade. The list is by no means exhaustive and was compiled from various sources.
    It has been noted that by fertilizing first, then feed, then water, you will recieve fresh fruit nearly every time and that you can have more than one success per day. This does not rule out the use of other combos to produce potions, etc., but if you are a fresh fruit nut, then that is the order to use. One of each is sufficient. Giving two of each – ie. 2 fertilizer, then 2 food, then 2 water – usually yeilds the rotten fruit, which currently is useless (would be nice to be able to throw these as suggested by another player, or to be able to use them as an ingredient in a Troll/Ogre wine or in the making of poisons HINT, HINT!). Another combination which seems to work is food, fertilize, then water. One player’s plant produced a Power Root (see Successful Combinations below for stats) by feeding all of the bones the player had, then fertilized and watered. Testing has shown that with certain items produced by the plant, you receive Experience and Achievement points. It appears as though the levels of the items used to feed the plant don't matter other than for fresh fruit. Rather, the items yielded are based on the player level, rounded down to the nearest x5. (Level 47 will get a level 45 root, level 44 will get a level 35, etc.) Fresh fruit is the exception to this rule, with level 10 components creating level 10 fruit, and so on.
    Taking into account the variety of items, the 7 tiers an item can be, the order that the items can be given to your plant, and the varying quantities that can be given, the possibilities are nearly endless. Another factor that may contribute to a LONG span of item/combo discoveries is the fact that the looted items can be sold to vendors, some (the tier 7 items in particular) for more than 3 gold! I’m sure months from now, plants will still be producing new items along with the rotten fruit. So if you have the funds to spare, the resources to use, and an adventurous spirit (if you don’t have this last one, why are you wandering the paths of Norrath?), experiment to your heart’s content. You may just be the next player to be credited with a server, or even a worldwide, discovery of an item!!!
    Successful Combinations (Pre LU #22)
    I have removed the produced-item descriptions from the list, and added a description list below. This allows easier reading and editing. I will add new descriptions as the items are discovered. Any unique details pertaining to an individual combination (such as level of reward), will still be listed here.
    [/QUOTE]
    1 fertilizer, 3 water, 3 food = Fresh Fruit (no details given)
    1 fertilizer (tier 7), 1 water (tier 7), 1 food (tier 5) = Fresh Fruit, Lvl 50, Average food, 35 mins - 103 Health Regen
    1 ammonium nitrate, 1 large meaty bone, 1 pure water, 1 ammonium nitrate = Fresh Fruit, Lvl 50, 35 mins - 103 Health Regen
    1 small bag of compost, 1 flask of enchanted water, 1 large meaty bone = Fresh Fruit, Lvl 10, 35 mins - 10 Health Regen
    3 fertilizer, 4 water, 6 food = Shifting Root, single charge (no other stats given)
    3 compost, 6 large meaty bone, 4 enchanted water = Shifting Root, single charge (no other stats given)
    All the bones on hand, fertilized, watered = Power Root, Level 65, 22% power increase
    **2 fertilizer, 6 water, 4 bones (all tier 2) = Toadstool, Lvl 55, 1 charge - 50% Grow, 10 min duration, then 35% Shrink, ? min duration
    2 fertilizer, 2-6 water, 2-6 bones (all tier 7) = Toadstool, Lvl 55 (65?), 1 charge - 50% Grow, 10 min duration, then 35% Shrink, ? min duration
    6 fertilizer, 3 water, 3 bones (all tier 2) = Flameroot, Lvl 55, 1 charge, ###-###? heat dmg (poster was not sure of stats)10 food, 10 water, 10 fertilizer (all tier 7), Vibrant plant = Item that adds 10% to DPS (no other info nor stats given)4 bones, 2 fertilizer, 6 water (all tier 7) = Toadstool, Lvl 55, 1 charge - 50% Grow, 10 min duration, then 35% Shrink, ? min duration - Indicating that order may not matter (at least in some combinations)*10 Large Meaty Bones, 10 Small Bags of Compost, 0-10 Enchanted Flasks of Water (See Eidolen's post in this thread for explanation)(all tier 7), Blue Plant = Escape Root, Lvl 65, 1 charge, Instant
    7 small bag of diatomaceous earth, 7 large polished bone, 7 flask of fresh water, Red Plant = Fresh Fruit, Lvl 40, 30 minute (No stat bonus)*10 large meaty bone 10 small bag of compost 10 flask of enchanted water (all tier 7), Green Plant = Escape Root, Lvl 65, 1 charge, 4.0 sec cast (Plant color - see * above)4 large meaty bone, 2 small bag of compost, 6 flask of enchanted water (all tier 7), Green Plant = Toadstool, Lvl 55 (65?), 1 charge - 50% Grow, 10 min duration, then 35% Shrink, ? min duration2 compost, 1 water, 1 bone (all tier 7), Green Plant = Fresh Fruit, Lvl 70, 35 min - 143 Health Regen (for player Lvl 65)6 compost, 3 water, 3 bone (all tier 7), Green Plant = Flameroot, Lvl 65, 1 charge, 4.0sec cast - 172-258 heat dmg {2% exp, 1% AA at lvl 65}1 small bag of compost, 1 flask of enchanted water, 1 large meaty bone (all tier 7), Green Plant = Fresh Fruit, Lvl 70, 35 min - 143 Health Regen (for player Lvl 65) - Indicates order DOES matter in some combinations (see below)**2 fertilizer, 6 water, 4 bones (all tier 2), Vibrant Plant = Toadstool, Lvl 45, 1 charge - 50% Grow, 10 min duration, then 35% Shrink, ? min duration {3% AA - XP & Player's level not given} - Indicates that plant color may affect the product. Note the ** entry above. Although the plant color was not given, all other factors were the same, but the level of the Toadstool above (55) is different from this outcome (45).1 bone, 1 fertilizer, 1 water (no other particulars given) = Fresh Fruit (2 out of three times)10 bone, 10 fertilizer, 10 water (all tier 1 and up) (Note - Order and tier may have been shuffled), Red Plant = Escape Root, Lvl 55 (No other stats given)
    3 fertilizer, 3 bone, 4 water (all tier 4), Red Plant = Fresh Fruit, Lvl 30
    [/QUOTE]
    NOTE: The Carnivorous Plants have suddenly adjusted to life among Norrathians and to the amount of nourishment given to them which indicates that they are very adaptable creatures! It seems that they no longer require as many corpse items to produce a reward. For example, if you were once rewarded for turning in 2 fertilizer, 4 water, and 4 bones, you will now see a reward at 1 fertilizer, 2 water, and 2 bones (Per LU #22). This should help defray the costs of experimentation and makes the rewarded items a more valid and valuable comodity!!!
    Successful Combinations (Post LU #22)
    5 fertilizer, 5 water, 5 bones (all tier 7), Vibrant Plant = Escape Root, Lvl 65, 1 charge
    5 fertilizer, 5 water, 5 bones (all tier 3), Vibrant Plant = Escape Root, Lvl 45, 1 charge
    2 fertilizer, 3 water, 1 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Entwining Roots
    1 fertilizer, 2 water, 3 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Short Root
    2 fertilizer, 1 water, 3 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Power Root
    3 fertilizer, 1 water, 2 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Flame Root1 fertilizer, 3 water, 2 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Toadstool
    2 fertilizer, 2 water, 2 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Lightning Root1 fertilizer, 2 water, 2 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Shifting Root
    3 fertilizer, 2 water, 1 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Fresh Fruit
    1 fertilizer, 3 water, 1 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Fresh Fruit
    2 fertilizer, 1 water, 2 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Fresh Fruit2 fertilizer, 2 water, 1 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Fresh Fruit
    3 fertilizer, 3 water, 2 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Fresh Fruit3 fertilizer, 1 water, 1 bones (all tier 7), No Plant color posted = Mending Root, Lvl 55, 101-151hp restored

[/QUOTE]

Indigestable Combinations for both your Plant and You
    Each Produces Rotten Fruit – no value, no stats
    1 food
    1 fertilizer, 1 water, 1 food (all tier 1)
    Ammonium Sulphate + Large decaying bone
    Small Bag of compost
    Large Meaty Bone + Flask of Water
    Flask of Enchanted Water
    1 compost, 1 large meaty bone, 1 enchanted water – repeated 5 times
    6 bone, 6 fertilizer, 4 water (all tier 7)
    5 bone, 5 fertilizer, 4 water (all tier 7)
    6 Large Meaty Bones, 1 Small Bag of Compost, 1 Enchanted Flask of Water1 large meaty bone, 1 small bag of compost, 1 flask of enchanted water (all tier 7), Green Plant - Indicates that order DOES matter in some combinations (see above)3 compost, 6 bone, 4 water (all tier 7), Green Plant4 bone, 6 compost, 3 water (all tier 7), Green Plant
    1 fertilizer, 1 food, 1 water (all tier 1), Red Plant
    [/QUOTE]
    Produced-Item Descriptions
    Note - Items other than Fruit may be equipped in the Charm slot, and all appear to be Lore, No-Trade
    Rotten Fruit - Absolutely useless (and smells bad too)Fresh Fruit - Increases Out-Of-Combat Health Regen Per Tick of Target by ### (depends on level of fruit)Entwining Roots - Root, 4.0sec cast
    Escape Root - Teleports caster and caster's group within zoneFlame Root - Damage Shield, 4.0sec cast, slot (charm) - ###-### heat dmg (depends on level of root)
    Lightning Root - Haste, Attack speed increase
    Mending Root - Heal, ###-###hp (depends on level of root)
    Power Root - Increases power of caster by ##%, Instant, Duration ? ( percent depends on level of root)
    Shifting Root - Invis
    Short Root - Out-of-Combat speed increase
    Toadstool - Shrink/Grow - Grows by ##%, 10 min duration, then Shrinks by ##%, ? min duration (percents depend on level of root)
    ?????? - Adds 10% to DPS
    [/QUOTE]

Note that many of the above combinations do not include the color of the plant nor the level of the player. For accuracy in these listings, if you post a successful (or not successful) combination, please include the color of your plant, the order the items were given, the amount of each item, either the exact name of each item or its teir (1 – 7), AND the level of the player performing the experimentation. Also include the description and stats of any items produced by the plant, as well as anything else you may notice such as XP &/or AA points gained. If anyone can clarify any of the items in the lists that have yellow notations (indicating missing information & stats), it would be greatly appreciated.

Message editted by LordAdder MANY times (cleaned this up :mantongue: )
    Message Edited by LordAdder on 04-14-200606:21 PM
    Message Edited by LordAdder on 04-17-2006 11:11 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Deltree_c Guest

Shrink and growth potions...that sounds like a trip. What's the duration, and do you get one of each or is it one or the other?
  3. ARCHIVED-Random_Rolle Guest

10 min duration 50% larger, when that runs out you get the shrink effect and become tiny for a while (can't remember duration of secondary effect).

Think alice in wonderland.
  4. ARCHIVED-LordAdder Guest

Thanks for the info Random_Rolle. Stats updated.

Message Edited by LordAdder on 03-22-200611:37 AM
    Message Edited by LordAdder on 03-28-200612:51 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-CirceTheSiren Guest

6. ARCHIVED-LordAdder Guest

The list has been updated again!
  7. ARCHIVED-Arraza Guest

Ok seriosuly. What am I missing with this whole plant thing? I mean, these plant consumables sell to NPCs for some considerable change. Each of the mid level consumables that I am finding sell for 50s to 100s. Putting 20-30 of these into your plant means losing 10-15g. Are the rewards really worth it? Seems silly to me.
  8. ARCHIVED-Deltree_c Guest

You also receive experience and advancement for acquiring the rewards. To each his own.
  9. ARCHIVED-Arraza Guest

Ah, didnt know that. Thats a bonus i guess. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the plant feeders of the world. BUT, I sold about 10 items last night for about 8 gold that I picked up in an hour of play or so and that was just to the NPCs, apparently if I was smarter I could have sold it on the broker for more. Either we are going to have some economy issues because the items are overpriced and people arent feeding the pets and making a kiling off the loots, or Sony is going to cut the price of the sales to the NPCs to compensate for inflation.
  10. ARCHIVED-JinjAB Guest

Is there a way to determine of the plant is ready to give up something? I watched my gf feed her plant and it bent over and stuck its tendrils out and then gave her fresh fruit. She mentioned it sparkled too... This may be indicative of the plant being ready to produce something?
    Also, to get other than fresh fruit, it appears that there is a minimum number of each fert/water/bone you need to give the plant, lets say 3, and then if you give it, lets say 6 total, more water = toadstool, more fert = root of some sort & more bones = invis potion
    Also, the lowest tier item seems to be the level of the reward & possibly the plant colour effects the type of root
    It's a very small sample size so this is just me musing on what we can see so far :)
    Hmm, testing time!
    Message Edited by Mo on 03-31-200610:07 AM
    Message Edited by Mo on 03-31-200610:11 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

One Bone, One Fertalizer, One Water has given me fresh fruit 2 out of 3 times. These are roughly level 20-30ish items, and my plant is Red.

Although I belive the regen on the fruit is around 50, and the duration is 30 minutes. Hardly worth it for the trouble.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ace235228 Guest

I got regular and achievement experience for getting a toadstool.
    *EDIT*
    The shrink rate after the toadstool is 35%
    Message Edited by Ace235228 on 04-02-200612:25 PM
  13. ARCHIVED-KniteShayd Guest

I looted a Small Bag of Muriate Potash, says it's fertalizer. only one i've seen on the broker is that one, which is mine, so far on my server.
    btw when examined, it says looted precious treasure or something of the like, not just a description like this can be used as fertilizer by itself.
    Message Edited by KniteShayd on 04-03-200603:10 AM
  14. ARCHIVED-Qiao Elu Guest

I feel gypped, I fed my red plant:

7 small bag of diatomaceous earth
    7 large polished bone
    7 flask of fresh water

in that order and I got a fresh fruit. 30 minute lvl 40 food with no stat bonus. That was a [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] expensive fruit!
  15. ARCHIVED-LordAdder Guest

Ouch! The price of experimentation. But thanks for the info Qiao Elu... and everyone else too.
    Journal updated.
  16. ARCHIVED-Nesterboy Guest

I'm on Lucan D' Lure char name is Kishi. I have a green carnivorous plant. I fed mine
    10 large meaty bone 10 small bag of compost 10 flask of enchanted water and it made Escape root 1 charge 4.0 sec cast (slot: charm(optional)) lore/notrade lvl 65 teleports caster and caster's group within the zone Got a discovery on this tonight.
    Just also fed it: 2 large meaty bone 2 small bag of compost 2 flask of enchanted water and got roten fruit out of it... Does anyone know if it matters the order IE bone first, compost second etc?
    This is to much fun... fed it: 4 large meaty bone 2 small bag of compost 6 flask of enchanted water yielded the toadstool and got discovery on my server as well.
    Ok... yes it does matter the order at least on some things it seems... 1 large meaty bone 1 small bag of compost 1 flask of enchanted water yield roten fruit while... compost -> water -> bone make lvl 70 fresh fruit at 65 I see it as 35mins 143hp/tick
    2 compost, 1 water, 1 bone gave lvl 70 fresh fruit at 65 I see it as 35mins 143hp/tick
    6 compost, 3 water, 3 bone gave lvl 65 flameroot 1 charge 4.0sec cast slot: charm 172-258 heat dmg got 2% exp off each of these plus some AA root gave 1% AA at lvl 65 didn't know you got exp til I reread this post lol 3rd discovery on Lucan D'Lure woot!!
    3 compost, 6 bone, 4 water: rotten fruit - going to double check this as all the others posted have worked on my green plant so far
    4 bone, 6 compost, 3 water: rotten fruit
    *note* orders shown are the orders I fed plant in and all food/water/compost is the lvl 70 stuff*
    Message Edited by Nesterboy on 04-04-200606:44 PM
    Message Edited by Nesterboy on 04-04-200606:44 PM
  17. ARCHIVED-LordAdder Guest

Thanks for all of the info Nesterboy. Now that was some pocket change for all of that experimentation! Thanks too for the XP & AA percentages. I was hoping someone would take note of that.

Journal updated with this new info.
  18. ARCHIVED-OmegaDar Guest

I tested one of the combos you listed but have more data to report
    I used the following combo: 2 fertilizer, 6 water, 4 bones (all tier 2) = Toadstool, Lvl 55, 1 charge Shrink/Grow potion - Grows by 50%, 10 min duration, then Shrinks by 35%, ? min Duration

I gave the plant items as listed 2fertilizer, then 6water and last the 4 bones all T2 to my Vibrant plant.
    I received the following: lvl45 Toadstool, Duration 10mins, 3% AA
  19. ARCHIVED-Tracido Guest

1 fertilizer 1 food 1 water = rotten fruit, Red Plant, all tier 1
  20. ARCHIVED-Tracido Guest

got fresh fruit from that one though.